Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
BrotherBob
Soul of Stray Demon
Thor_Odinson
Leet
Lorrac ESP
Aigaios
Sentiel
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
twigsterxd
SirArchmage
raecor14
15 posters

The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword.

raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword. Empty The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword.

Post by raecor14 Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:14 am

Hear me out. in a magic build all you have is, well, magic damage. see most people either use, MLB, MLGS or Velka's rapier. but the one weapon i see with easy physical AR is the obsidian GS. people ***** about it's move set but i can say from A LOT of experience with it that it is great, a tad slower than normal but it hits like a truck. the bugger is buffable and its special also benefits from it. the 1HR2 is amazing when it lands (situational but after a few goes with it you'll pick it up).  I get that it can be a massive pain to get, but when has a little difficulty ever gotten in our way?

also just a small pros and cons list
    Pro:
    -low stat requirement (great for buff builds)
    -really quite useful moveset
    - looks great and is a bit more obscure than other weapons (stand out in the croud)

cons:
    - hard to get
    - better choices for a pure STR or DEX build
    - reach and swing speed are a tad lower than normal
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword. Empty Re: The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword.

Post by SirArchmage Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:40 am

Just because I am well-versed in the ways of the greatswords, shall give my opinion.

Is the Obsidian Greatsword a better Moonlight Greatsword?
    No.

Moonlight Greatsword is the weapon that people with pure magic builds can slap on so that they can have a big weapon without putting much points in, well, anything except maybe 4 or so in strength. It is going to be doing more damage, due to people having lower magic defense. It has better R2's, as they are more viable for multiple situations(though the Obsidian Greatsword can pull out a pretty much un-avoidable wake-up attack with the R2).

Really the only reason I would see a want for it is for a buff build that centers around that. Otherwise, MLGS is the way to go for mages. As well as the fact that mages need speed, and having a sword that will be doing less damage at a lower speed with the same R1's as the other great swords.......Not too great.

Also, it is heavier. And looks ugly.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword. Empty Re: The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword.

Post by twigsterxd Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:46 am

The only thing I can add is, it's not better for 2 reasons. The MLGS is easier to get without buying the DLC. And, it takes more unwanted stats to use it as well as wider swings
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:50 am

BUT what if i where to cast GMB which we all know is becoming quite popular? see, when this happens to me i can normally deal with them before its done, also the MLGS has almost useless specials (iv never been hit by one when i was playing on an average day) where as i have hit a ton of people with the Obsidian great-swords special and its 1HR2 is great once you learn when to use it.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:54 am

Someone casts GMB? Menu-swap to an elemental claymore when they do that. Same weight, and same dex and strength requirements as the MLGS.

Also, the specials on the MLGS are amazing. They send people flying, if you use them right they can destroy people, and even amazing in duels with correct timing. If someone stops to do anything for even a second? One-hand R2 to the face.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:56 am

I agree the special is cool but in PvP isn't it all about speed and agility?
    And, as I said, not everyone gets the DLC. But then again, use the special once or twice and the weapon is done until you get repaired.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:01 am

SirArchmage wrote:Someone casts GMB? Menu-swap to an elemental claymore when they do that. Same weight, and same dex and strength requirements as the MLGS.

Also, the specials on the MLGS are amazing. They send people flying, if you use them right they can destroy people, and even amazing in duels with correct timing. If someone stops to do anything for even a second? One-hand R2 to the face.
    as a magic user, if someone stops to do something, guess who gets a dark bead to the face? or CSS? or a buffed back-stab. or hell, even the OGS special. anything realy. I'm not saying the MLGS sucks, I'm just saying the OGS has way more use.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:03 am

twigsterxd wrote:I agree the special is cool but in PvP isn't it all about speed and agility?
    And, as I said, not everyone gets the DLC. But then again, use the special once or twice and the weapon is done until you get repaired.
    Trust me when i say, some of the best people you will ever face, use some of the heavyset weapons. a havel cosplay done right is killer. and also, osg isn't slow it is barely noticeable the swing speed it just is there for the number crunchers. speed is just the best place for people to start.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:06 am

To be fair, I've connected with the MLGS's special attacks pretty often. Not every fight or anything like that, but enough to believe in the viability of the moves. Especially the 2-handed R2.

I could see how the Obsidian GS might be good with say a CMW buff on a mage build, and it probably is. I have very little with experience with the sword so I can't give an unequivocal opinion, really.

Also, unless you're being ganked, I would never engage anyone under GMB with a MLGS. I would either A) dodge until the spell runs out or B) menu-swap to something else, I guess that might as well be the Obsidian GS.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:16 am

While it might have more use if you consider that is does physical damage, and is buffable, you need much more stats in strength and dexterity then a normal mage would have. And without buffs, the MLGS will do more damage as it will go through defenses easier(unless you fight some crazy guy with Big Hat, dingy robe, sorcerer gauntlets and maiden skirt).

While also considering that in the face of GMB a MLGS user can easily whip out a claymore, I would say that for most all mage builds the Obsidian Greatsword is not better. One would wish to have a build based on it if they wanted a mage that could use the sword well. It would much more suit a faith build, I believe.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:20 am

http://mmdks.com/3cq8 here is my build that i use. it kicks ***. never ever been beat by a MLGS build. (granted haven't actually seen that many on this particular toon)
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:37 am

MLGS is arguably the longest of greatswords, while OGS is perhaps the shortest. OGS R2 AoE is utterly useless outside of wake up attacks, where MLGS 2H R2 works just as well.
    Unlike OGS, MLGS special attacks are quite usable in normal combat, especially if you learn to aim them unlocked.
    Buff, or no, if you can't reach, the buff does nothing more than look cool.
    MLGS has insane phantom reach and is the best roll punisher weapon in the game, next only to thrusting weapons.
    Pure magic damage means big chip damage and outside of chipping, it's damage is comparable to a Claymore on a quality build.
    Unlike OGS, MLGS can stunlock quite easily. Again, range thing.
    MLGS R2s are made out of the swing itself and then the special attack, which means that if the target is close enough, he gets damage from both. OGS R2 doesn't have that, but on the other hand can't be parried.
    OGS AoE, while looking all fire and all can be blocked (unbuffed), but MLGS does decent chip damage if you block it and can Dead Angle you if you aim the explosion behind the target.

As a matter of experience, I fought against buffed OGS quite a few times, especially when the DLC was still new. The range difference between OGS and MLGS is big enough that I can actually pull a R1 and evade before OGS can hit me and it's too short to punish my roll.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:44 am

thats why you keep them on your feet with your spells (am i the only guy who still uses those on my mage?)
    Aigaios
    Aigaios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aigaios Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:24 am

They are both good weapons, as always its just a matter of opinion which one is better for you.
    Lorrac ESP
    Lorrac ESP
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Lorrac ESP Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:51 am

The moonlight GS automatically reveals you to be a magic user.

As soon as I see it, I pop great magic barrier and go to town.

It's the reason I switched to the chaos blade, no buff, they don't know that WoG is coming.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:00 am

Always expect WoG, DB, GC/BF. Always.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:03 am

Imo, you can't even compare the two. The MLGS is one of the best weapons in the game. The Obsidian GS is ONLY good for buffing. And even then, i hate the moveset. I have a 2v2 arena build using the OGS and i wish i would have done something different. 

MLGS R2 + moveset >

The only reason you can think to compare them is that they're both great swords. And the OGS looks like it fell out of Kalameet's butt.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:51 pm

TooLeet wrote:The only reason you can think to compare them is that they're both great swords. And the OGS looks like it fell out of Kalameet's butt.
    It pretty much does....It does come from THAT area lol
    Thor_Odinson
    Thor_Odinson
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Thor_Odinson Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:45 pm

mlgs stunlock alone is brutal
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Lorrac ESP wrote:The moonlight GS automatically reveals you to be a magic user.

As soon as I see it, I pop great magic barrier and go to town.

It's the reason I switched to the chaos blade, no buff, they don't know that WoG is coming.
    I do that too, but also on my physical builds, sometimes I'll wear the dusk crown if I see the other player isn't a mage, really throws them off.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:15 pm

twigsterxd wrote:
    TooLeet wrote:The only reason you can think to compare them is that they're both great swords. And the OGS looks like it fell out of Kalameet's butt.
    I don't think it's his tail. I think once you hit his tail enough time, he gets so scared he's gonna die that he lets one loose. So, everyone using the OGS is swinging around a Kalameet turd.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:32 pm

TooLeet wrote:
    twigsterxd wrote:
    I don't think it's his tail. I think once you hit his tail enough time, he gets so scared he's gonna die that he lets one loose. So, everyone using the OGS is swinging around a Kalameet turd.
    That made my side hurt....ouch
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:33 pm

And a bit disgusting.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:And a bit disgusting.
    Hirarious.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Well, I guess poop jokes are all the rage nowadays huh?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:13 am