Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
befowler
Reaperfan
Emergence
Serious_Much
Forum Pirate
berkut
PlasticandRage
Tolvo
12 posters

That's No Moon (Star Wars Thread)

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

That's No Moon  (Star Wars Thread) - Page 10 Empty Re: That's No Moon (Star Wars Thread)

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:18 pm

I've got to say if I could be one character from Star Wars in all of its entirety, Lando might be a smart choice. The man is just too beloved to be killed off, he has the race card so he can't be killed off, and he is suave as ***. Whether you be Ackbar, a Twi'lek, or Lobot. The man has his way with words. 8)
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

That's No Moon  (Star Wars Thread) - Page 10 Empty Re: That's No Moon (Star Wars Thread)

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:31 pm

When I hear people having the wars/trek argument it always blows me away that Lando gets left out. Trekkies always play the Kirk gets the women card. Cmon now. Wars has Billy D. The baddest pimp in the galaxy.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm never a fan of Trek Wars, but I do love to laugh at how outrageous some of the arguments get between fans. I consider Star Wars better, in my opinion. But I don't just think, "Objectively better." It just appeals to me more. And I don't mean the, "I like Star Wars better, this is why." I mean the, "How could you even like Star Trek? It doesn't have Darth Vader!" type arguments.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 pm

I don't know enough about Trek to make a educated argument either way. I've never been a Trek fan. However I have had the Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars argument plenty of times. I lovethem both. But I think all said and done I have to go with the wars. It's just had a bigger impact on my life. Although the LotR novels are brilliant. Like they're actually literature. While I'm sure the Wars books are good, I don't doubt for a moment that I can fairly make the assumption that they're not on the same level.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:59 pm

I actually have enjoyed some Wars books more than the LotR books, though definitely not as much as I loved the Hobbit. LotR I do like and think is really good, but the Hobbit man.

*Waves his hands in your face*

THE HOOOOOOOBBIT!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Timothy zant writes some of the wars books, he's biowares lead writer. if you look ME 1 and back (before satan took over) all of the games he did are solid. Espically considering the player freedom he had to deal with.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:13 pm

You are actually thinking of Drew Kyp, another great writer who has worked on Star Wars books and games. Tim Zahn created Grand Admiral Thrawn, and has written I'm pretty sure every story relating to the character. Tim is also pretty much responsible for Mara Jade, he's made about 11 books in the Star Wars universe.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:14 pm

I've never played any of the Mass Effects. I've actually never even seen any of them played. The first one is just for xbox and pc right? Maybe I'll try to steam that S#&t. I was describing SH Downpour to someone today and they recommended this survival horror game to me that I've never heard of before. I found it on Steam. Looks absolutely incredible. Any of you ever played Amnesia: the Dark Descent?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Ah Amnesia, that is a game that if you get absorbed into it, you will be terrified easily.

In that game, you will find yourself navigating dark rooms for the soul purpose of avoiding attention. As you are trying to figure out a puzzle you may enter a room and close a door, inside you'll turn on a light as sort of a breather. You'll read a few clues and figure it out, open the door and look about. You again in the darkness find your way through the confusing maze when suddenly you hear a scream behind you. It is a monster charging at you, it is faster than you. It can kill you in a few hits. It cannot die. You can throw barrels to slow it, turn corners to slow it, but all in all you have to trick it and get away. Finally you lose it, you take a breath. But your character is losing his sanity from the whole ordeal, so he starts to breath heavily. You hear footsteps getting closer and closer to your hiding spot. Your character is terrified of the dark, but if you turn on a light it will see you.

One of the most terrifying things about the game is not seeing any enemies. That means they are somewhere you do not know. It can get to you.

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:20 pm

Nope. Never been into horror. Being scared isn't fun for me. (not that most anything scares me, but why take the chance?)

@tolvo. Yep, my bad. New what i ment, typed something else.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:22 pm

I like scary games, but what I hate is jump scares. I consider it the lowest form of horror. You know what is difficult? Creating a creepy atmosphere, a character that you can attach to and help you into the process of feeling what it is like to be in the situation allowing for genuine terror to occur. You know what isn't difficult? Throwing a screaming gray ghost face at the screen suddenly.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Yeah I totally agree with that. Part of why I love the Silent Hill series so much. They're all atmospherically phenomenal. I really like the Siren games for that reason also. Blood Curse has been good so far, in fact good enough that I can only really play it in small increments. The first one is amazing though. Check out the video for Amnesia on Steam. Evidently you can't attack in it. It's all about it exploring and trying to hide creatively. I know not being able to attack isn't appealing for a lot of players right out of the gate, but Silent Hill Shattered Memories changed my mind on that one.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Oh my god...I've never met another person that liked Shattered Memories. That is actually my favourite Silent Hill game as odd as it is. I'm not a fan of combat in horror, what is terrifying about it if a well placed shot can kill anything?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:32 pm

See, i"m moderately paranoid. so i'm, unless i think i'm alone or i'm really focused, i'm always scared of something. Adding fear to my alone time isn't high on my to do list. I can see the appeal of properly done horror, the soul series atmosphere is one of my favorite parts, it just doesn't strike me that way.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:33 pm

It's not for everyone, and I do see where you are coming from. It's embarrassing, but I'm afraid of darkness.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:34 pm

Can't stand horror, the thought of horror horrifies me :S
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:35 pm

Then what does existential literature do to you? silly
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:37 pm

I've still never beaten SM. I wanted to but my ps2 died like a month after I bought it and I got a ps3 before I got another chance at it. I still have it, I just don't have anything to play it on. Stupid Sony with their no backwards compatibility.
    The Fatal Frames were really good too. Probably the scariest scene, for me, ever in a video game was in Fatal Frame 2. You're in this old house and there's a room with an old movie projector in it, and it's on but the film is at the end, so the reel is turning and making the film slap against the metal over and over, and its the only sound you can hear. So you walk up to it and while you're trying to fix it this woman comes walking towards you out of the dark. Looks totally normal but has this weird look on her face. Just before she gets to you her head lolls back on her neck, so you can clearly see that her necks broken, and she keeps walking towards you and you can still see that weird look on her face but its all sideways and hanging off the back of her neck. God it was so creepy. Still makes my skin crawl a little
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:39 pm

Tolvo wrote:Then what does existential literature do to you? silly
    ROFL.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:41 pm

I've heard about the Fatal Frame games but I've never actually seen them in action, if I can find one for cheap around here I might pick it up. It's a bit old right so it should be pretty cheap wouldn't it be?

My scariest moment in a game was actually as a young child, playing Turok for the N64. I loved dinosaurs and laser guns, so of course I was playing this despite my age. I was in a damp dark cave, and heard this weird noise. It was like a wet surface was suctioning and popping before hitting the damp stone again. I could hear it get closer, and further, closer, then further. Then it stopped, I thought I was okay. I turn around, and a dark lizard jumped and attacked me doing very little damage. I threw my controller into the air and jumped screaming. It's probably the first moment I was ever scared in a game haha.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:47 pm

Tolvo wrote:Then what does existential literature do to you? silly

I am only slightly disappointed in myself for having to look that up
    happy. Don't think that would be a good topic to get into here silly
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:49 pm

The first Turok was really hard. I remember those things your talking about. They sort of looked like the lickers from RE right?

Yeah if there are any stores with half way decent bargain bins near where you live you could probably find one, I'd be surprised if it was more than like $15. Stay away from Fatal Frame 3. It's awful. 1 and 2 are the good ones. I recommend 2. The gameplay is really original in those games. You get a camera that can see ghosts, which are, obviously, what the enemies are. Taking their picture hurts them, but you can only see them when you're looking through the camera's view finder. It makes for a really scary experience. One of the other things I really liked about them is not all ghosts are out to hurt you. Some of them are what ghost hunters would refer to as residual hauntings, like they just repeat things over and over, like walking up flights of stairs, or knocking on doors, and you get experience points for finding them and taking their pictures. Some of them also will have like unfinished business that's keeping them from passing on that you can finish for them.
    The first real scare I had in a video game was definitely RE1. The undead dogs jumping through the windows in that first hallway. Definitely a cheap scare, but a scare none the less.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:51 pm

Just like you'd have to look up Jizz since you probably don't know what it is. By the way what I'm about to link is real, this is really in Star Wars. It was made I'm pretty sure before the word became commonplace.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:57 pm

I don't get around to playing the Jizz-box as often as I'd like anymore. However when I do I'm quite skilled
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Yeah Plastic that is them, damn those things! Damn them and the stone gorilla guys with rocket launcher arms, and that stupid *** final boss!

From what I've heard the ghosts in it kind of resemble the girl from the Grudge right?

And yes, Max Reebo played Jizz. Seriously though, how the hell did they not know what that word meant when they started using it? I feel like somebody just snuck it in to mess with Lucas.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:32 pm