Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
Shakie666
Soul of Stray Demon
DarkGerald
Soris Ice Goldwing
Onion Knight
Tolvo
tinypantha
reim0027
Rynn
skarekrow13
Forum Pirate
steveswede
Ahhotep1
AnCapaillMor
Serious_Much
Dibsville
Hatsune Miku
WaffleGuy
TomBombadil515*
Hart
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Emergence
FexDS
27 posters

Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes

Poll

Like the new look over at the new host?

[ 22 ]
    Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 2 I_vote_lcap67%Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [67%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 2 I_vote_lcap12%Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [12%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 2 I_vote_lcap21%Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [21%] 

Total Votes: 33
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 2 Empty Re: Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:04 pm

It's also then easy to just say ones rep was 98,456,643,455,443, and new blood means new trolls. (obligated by logic to point that out, it's not a bad idea)
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 2 Empty Re: Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes

Post by Ahhotep1 Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:It's also then easy to just say ones rep was 98,456,643,455,443, and new blood means new trolls. (obligated by logic to point that out, it's not a bad idea)
    So true. LOL
    Well, a link to old forum or a screen shot of our stats should remedy the dishonesty/troll problem. No?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Photoshop. but yes, that would help.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:38 pm

To clarify as I'm not sure this has been understood:

All threads, their posts and the author of each reply and therefore the postcount is what we are thinking of tranferring (what we can pay to transfer)

Reputation cannot be automatically transferred. I would have to manually add rep to each of our 6000 users one by one... Which means track down each user, look at their rep count, then find them on new board and add manually.... 6000 times. I don't think it's reasonable xD
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Consider this my preparation for the move.  

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

So what's this all for?

Clearly I need to throw myself a pity party.  I broke 400 rep, there's witnesses.....YOU ALL SAW IT!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok, the rainbow cake helped. I'm all for this!
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:06 pm

FexDS wrote:To clarify as I'm not sure this has been understood:

All threads, their posts and the author of each reply and therefore the postcount is what we are thinking of tranferring (what we can pay to transfer)

Reputation cannot be automatically transferred. I would have to manually add rep to each of our 6000 users one by one... Which means track down each user, look at their rep count, then find them on new board and add manually.... 6000 times. I don't think it's reasonable xD
    Yep, that was stated above. We understand that side of it Fex. big grin
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:10 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Consider this my preparation for the move.  

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

So what's this all for?

Clearly I need to throw myself a pity party.  I broke 400 rep, there's witnesses.....YOU ALL SAW IT!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok, the rainbow cake helped. I'm all for this!
    I somehow knew this ^ was coming eventually! silly
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:37 pm

FexDS wrote:Reputation cannot be automatically transferred. I would have to manually add rep to each of our 6000 users one by one... Which means track down each user, look at their rep count, then find them on new board and add manually.... 6000 times. I don't think it's reasonable xD
    I already said I'd do it.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Also, the new host/client/whateveryouwannacallit seems to crash my browser when I try to navigate the Forums on my mobile device.

At least the chat seems to anyway
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:48 pm

It's working fine for me..

It'll be chatango messing things up for you probably.. what mobile device do you have?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Android. Galaxy S
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:57 pm

After a quick google it appears android isn't supported by chatango.. Does the problem only occur if you go on the chat or does it prevent you from even accessing the forum?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:02 pm

It's just the main page where the chatango is present. I can browse sections ans threads fine.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:34 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:
    FexDS wrote:Reputation cannot be automatically transferred. I would have to manually add rep to each of our 6000 users one by one... Which means track down each user, look at their rep count, then find them on new board and add manually.... 6000 times. I don't think it's reasonable xD
    I already said I'd do it.
    Unfortunately that's not feasible. Access to the back end for that kind of manual modification is restricted. Not saying you would crash the ferrari but that's not a liability anyone would want on their shoulders. It's easy to slip. You can't imagine how many near misses I've had to date.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:41 pm

sad  O-ok....

I would do best...
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:01 pm

I spent so much time here... and now no one will know All the contributions I did or didn't make to the community. The same is true for everyone... but it's an odd reflection when you catch a glimpse of how easily that can be wiped away.

Any special forum titles coming up in the new forums? I'll have to make sure to do something epic~
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Rynn wrote:Any special forum titles coming up in the new forums? I'll have to make sure to do something epic~
    Something like that would be nice, but, according to Serious, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:Just as with the rep system wipe, I'm not really for it. These people have given reasons, at best, based on being welcoming.

What about being right? If You ask a question as a newcomer, and you get 6 plausible answers in 30 posts, how are you to determine who is right without testing and wasting resources or points?

Answer: Rep/postcount (in that order.) If 3 people with 200+ rep and 3000 posts give the same answer, that's probably the right one. With a clean slate, there is no way to even make a reasonable guess between plausible answers unless someone knows the math and/or posts video proof. I see this alot in other forums.

That said, it's not a huge deal for me, I know my stuff, and will again for 2. $600 is a lot of money too.

It could be a problem for viewers and casual members though, and that's my concern, so this is where I'll voice it.
    Quoting self again, but slightly less relevant as it was aimed at a different topic.

I can see your point here, but I'm going to repeat what I've said before once.
    Having a lot a rep does not automatically prove you are right.
    If two people give me different answers, I will not suddenly believe the one with the most rep.
    To be honest, I don't think a lot of people go out of their way to check out where that person got the rep. I think most of mine is from making silly posts, or helping someone in game.
    Does that mean I should be trusted over a person with 6 rep?
    Not really. I would honestly like the people who doubt anything another person says first.
    Not trying to start a fight or anything. I think rep is just... nothing really. It would be sad to see people being pursuaded easily because of it.

For those reasons alone I wouldn't mind rep not being on the next forum.
    That doesn't mean I don't think people getting it doesn't deserve them.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:58 pm

i never said it did. still, frame of refernce is helpful. otherwise one has NO WAY to determine who is right without looking elsewhere, which defeats the purpose of the forums in the first place. if rynn says something about a mechanic or tactic, she is right, every single time, or she ammends herself in the op. her rep reflects that. same with blaine, and reim, and several others. rep helps (key word) separate the advice of the knowledgable from the uninitiated or biased, which many places sadly lack, and it causes problems.

it is only going to be an issue for the first month or 3, i will fix it's self, but it is an issue none the less, and a legitimate gripe with typical forums lack of a method for distinguishing the value of advice.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Ok so... how about we transfer the threads and then you all spend time up-repping useful posts. Since the rep on the old posts will be gone

This will
    1. Give you all a chance to rethink reputation given
    2. Teach you all about the new system
    3. Ensure the Forum rules/all of my posts get lots of upvotes since now I can see who downvotes them and the banhammer is here for you! silly
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:15 pm

when one posts upset it is never a good idea. i am humbled by
    my own failure.

Last edited by Ahhotep1 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 pm

???

If that was the case I wouldn't be willing to fork out this amount of cash to move over threads. I do not know where anyone would get that impression.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:19 pm

I absolutely love the look of the new forum, and I "grew up" on the phpbb format. Been using it for over 7 years. I"m looking forward to the move.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:20 pm

for the record, i wasn't condemning you for not spendein 8000 hours moving the stuff, just pointing out potential problems i see that i believe you, as admis, should be aware of.

if people do it, that would be the type of fix i was going for, i just didn't have one. trying, as ever, to be helpful the only way i know how. poking holes.

Last edited by Forum Pirate on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
    tinypantha
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Oh foreign language sections. Let's see how many people use google translate...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:44 am