Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+43
megaoptamas759
Anulpanda
zCorne7z
dianaduh
Phoenix Rising
NPCWhiteMage
kramage
Hahalo
peaceful_sabre
AHS DaNiTh
Wilkinson3424
Ghadis_God
billy_bayonet
EmoElmos
WyrmHero
momurderer_2501
DamageCK
his1n-
ErrJon6661
noobsterkid
XISTRiFEIX
T-King-667
Carphil
russiannightmare
SmittyRomps
befowler
bloodpixel
LOLRagezzz
nsane32
Forum Pirate
reim0027
Kerberos-013
Tolvo
SATLOS
Bamjam
DarkW17
ted1023
Serious_Much
Zechk
GrEeNgObLiN
JY4answer
ARSP
Yesuurd
47 posters

PVP Advice from Experienced Players...

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

PVP Advice from Experienced Players... - Page 2 Empty Re: PVP Advice from Experienced Players...

Post by Tolvo Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:15 pm

Pretty much, I move slowly and use the slow roll and a lot of NPC's carry weapons you can stunlock with, so for the rolling poke style I really have no other counter aside from the odd parry riposte.

This is just for duelling? I thought it said PvP Advice.
    SATLOS
    SATLOS
    Addicted
    Addicted

PVP Advice from Experienced Players... - Page 2 Empty Re: PVP Advice from Experienced Players...

Post by SATLOS Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Yesuurd wrote:I also play like Green alot and we dex monkeys make a grave mistake when depending on our rolls.

We roll sideways or backwards to evade but sometimes the best roll is towards your opponent, even more
    if they have a big weapon because you will either land behind them if you do it right or you will land in a safe area very close to the opponent where the weapon will not damage you, this depends of course on the weapon, if you see people with BKGA for example, watch them closely and you will notice most can only
    hit 3 consecutive times.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I'll give that a shot, but something tells me it could lead to more stagger/stunlock deaths.

I hate that guys who rock the Zwei/BKGA and just spam R1 even have a chance at victory...

If I miss my parry, or get caught in a lag hit, I'm dead.

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Tolvo wrote:Pretty much, I move slowly and use the slow roll and a lot of NPC's carry weapons you can stunlock with, so for the rolling poke style I really have no other counter aside from the odd parry riposte.

This is just for duelling? I thought it said PvP Advice.

True, though people have focused mainly on the dueling aspect so far, I guess Yesuurd will welcome your contribution to help in fighting against multiple players big grin

btw I only said the spam before because one time I got owned yesterday by your stunlock silly (I deserved it though, got too greedy on one of my attacks)
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:44 pm

It's pvp advice, whatever you truly think will help and let's please stay on track with this one, thanks to both of you....well maybe not Tolvo cuz he told me he listens to Rick Astley
    every morning and I am keeping a distance from him.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:46 pm

Yesuurd wrote:It's pvp advice, whatever you truly think will help and let's please stay on track with this one, thanks to both of you....well maybe not Tolvo cuz he told me he listens to Rick Astley

Hey, Zeckh said no banter.

Also I enjoy a bit of Rick Astley occasionally, though then again it's probably tolerance from getting Rick Rolled so many times before silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:47 pm

Nevermind, I'll just stay out of the way of others.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Tolvo wrote:Nevermind, I'll just stay out of the way of others.

Haven't you noticed I only joke about the people I really like Tolvo? You are the best!
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Yesuurd wrote:It's pvp advice, whatever you truly think will help and let's please stay on track with this one, thanks to both of you....well maybe not Tolvo cuz he told me he listens to Rick Astley

Hey, Zeckh said no banter.

Also I enjoy a bit of Rick Astley occasionally, though then again it's probably tolerance from getting Rick Rolled so many times before silly

Hey serious here is a video I think you would enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_b7RDuLwcI
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm enjoying right now big grin

and yesuurd indeed, thats how i roll too silly
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:41 pm

Let's stay on topic, do your name some justice SERIOUS.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:44 pm

I think poise tanking BS with hornets ring is a great strategy, IMO. Just my 2 cents, please don't get offended.... silly (please noone take this advice, thank you big grin)

I think another important thing in PvP is the Location. Choose where to fight in a smart way. This can apply to type of PvP you have or even using terrain/mobs to your advantage.

Having a pillar to block casts isn't a bad idea, but in the same way if a guy whips out a DS bow, you shouldnt run anywhere you can fall off. also using mobs against a 3v1 to break them up is also pretty smart.

There's more ways to aid your cause other than going for the kill straight away.
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:26 pm

my advice for 3v1 (funny I can never win 2v1 but I have been in 7 3v1 matches and I won every time mostly because the 3 I fought didn't cooperate or they we noobs and I mean NOOOOOBS) I found that using spells, miracles, or my bows that seperate them and take them out one by one.
    Kerberos-013
    Kerberos-013
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Kerberos-013 Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Things that have worked for me,

• Learn to BackStab efficently. Even if you prefer not to use it, know it well just in case.
    • Learn to use WOG miracle. Same thing as #1, even if I don't use it, I have it ready to counter if need.
    • Learn to fight with and without lockon. Sometimes a heavy weapon with no lock-on is the best against multiple enemies.
    • Don't be afraid to use light armor. This makes lots more room for weapons without Havels ring. I personally like to use the starter Knight's helm and chest with steel gauntlets and silver knight legs. This allows me to equip rings for offensive purpose, like Wolf Ring creating almost 100 poise on a fast moving character.
    • Poise and a heavy weapon can get you by if you're inexperienced.
    • Dead angles with heavy weapons like the Zwei can be devastating to BS fishers. Using with no lock-on can be even more effective.
    • Pay attention to what gear an opponent wears. A mask, Havels/giants chest, and ninja flipping "could" indicate a player with sneaky tactics in mind.
    • If you're getting owned, don't be afraid to host and summon some help.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:14 pm

@ Green

Dont get me wrong poise isnt a must for every...for someone like your fighting style it makes sense no to be a poise tank and to evade use the scythe have good stam and prob a in close fast weapon claw/sword also. More what I was trying to say is dont come at someone that cleary has 80 poise when you have 20 poise and think your going to 2hand stunlock with a greatsword use a weapon to suite the backing of your armour/weight/poise setup.

I think the biggest thing to remember is stamina or loss there of it and knowing every weapons move set...even a full havel 120 poise user who has just missed his 3 or so 2 handed MLGS swing in a row and lost all his stamina is going to get ate for breakfast and stunlocked with my claymore at 72 poise. Low stamina=low poise build up bar correct me if I am wrong.

I personally mix it up all the time I use low poise fast evading style with a CMW buffed claws/claymore or ill come right back with an heater shield/rapier/hornet or try out the CMW buffed Mura/MSGS/Darksword/flamb with magic ect. It really depends on what I am trying to do with regards to the style PVP...in the forest 1v2 its poise tank CMW Mura my weapon of choice for the quick kill ability....dueling at the kiln I love to use a enchanted claymore(60 INT LOL)

GrEeNgObLiN
    GrEeNgObLiN
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by GrEeNgObLiN Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:47 pm

DarkW17 wrote:@ Green

Dont get me wrong poise isnt a must for every...for someone like your fighting style it makes sense no to be a poise tank and to evade use the scythe have good stam and prob a in close fast weapon claw/sword also. More what I was trying to say is dont come at someone that cleary has 80 poise when you have 20 poise and think your going to 2hand stunlock with a greatsword use a weapon to suite the backing of your armour/weight/poise setup.

I think the biggest thing to remember is stamina or loss there of it and knowing every weapons move set...even a full havel 120 poise user who has just missed his 3 or so 2 handed MLGS swing in a row and lost all his stamina is going to get ate for breakfast and stunlocked with my claymore at 72 poise. Low stamina=low poise build up bar correct me if I am wrong.

I personally mix it up all the time I use low poise fast evading style with a CMW buffed claws/claymore or ill come right back with an heater shield/rapier/hornet or try out the CMW buffed Mura/MSGS/Darksword/flamb with magic ect. It really depends on what I am trying to do with regards to the style PVP...in the forest 1v2 its poise tank CMW Mura my weapon of choice for the quick kill ability....dueling at the kiln I love to use a enchanted claymore(60 INT LOL)

Ah true, i agree all depents actually on tour fightingstyle and with witch weapons u r gonna use.
    With a greatsword and low poise is difficult not to get stunlockt.
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Maybe I should become more flexible I only have two strategies one for fatties one for ninjas. For ninja I use a BKH and swing for the fences since largely they go for back stabs so they try to roll in and they still get hit by my halberd. For fatties I like parrying and riposting because fatties like to use heavier weapons and so at least for me (since I like to use them) I can tell when to parry and riposte. I also have a trick for spear wielders who hide behind their shields I equip a Iron Black shield I get in close and then I shield bash it take very little stamina they never expect it and often times it breaks their guards in one or two hits and then a free hit for me. happy
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:30 pm

I agree with ARSP and what Yesuurd said earlier. This also sticks with my idea but I didn't really say it properly.

The idea was to vary your play style not only with different weapons or builds, but to adapt to different opponents as well. Obviously some patterns that work great with some opponents won't work with others. Rushing a caster will work, but not against a tank build, while quick pokes at str tanks with a rapier or spear will work but a katana or straight sword user will own you. Even against the same opponent, you should change your style as soon as you think he's figured out your pattern. Being unpredictable is as important a skill as anything else.

Having back-up weapons with very diiferent movesets helps a lot. I used to love the Iaito for the flexibility, but it was still limited to the slashes, rushing pokes, and R2. With the BSS and Estoc, I can switch from wide sweeps and long pokes to quick pokes and turtling, and switch back and forth in a matter of 0.5 seconds. Sometimes I use my composite bow and it has won me matches and given me great fun.

One more thing, wining isn't really that important. Having fun in a great duel and losing will earn you more fun, experience and respect than any win with WoG spams or healing.

Last edited by JY4answer on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 pm

In regards to variety, a nice trick is always quick menu switching. Set up items to be in certain hands and be near to one another. I can't tell you how many farmers I've caught off guard by switching my offhand rapier suddenly into a greatlord sword to stun lock one of them out of nowhere.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Tolvo wrote:In regards to variety, a nice trick is always quick menu switching. Set up items to be in certain hands and be near to one another. I can't tell you how many farmers I've caught off guard by switching my offhand rapier suddenly into a greatlord sword to stun lock one of them out of nowhere.

Indeed its a great trick, though it requires you to be calm and prepared, and won't always work. I tried doing that once and fell off a ledge, and another time got the weapon on but fat rolled PVP Advice from Experienced Players... - Page 2 1330857165

But switching shields has worked awesome for me, switching from Crest shield to Dragon Crest shield or the other way round.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Well see as a hunter I stick to one area, and I do rounds of the forest before invading and while I wait to invade so that I'm prepared for every nook and cranny there is. I can probably run the forest blind folded now, so it is a lot easier when you know the area. That is another issue, making sure you have room to use heavier weapons, I like to have an extra twelve pounds of weight to throw around. Often I don't mess around with shields too much since I don't care for blocking, but I could easily see the use. That is another tip for those who are a bit nuts like me, make rounds of areas you are going to invade, when you can clear the place incredibly easy using every shortcut jumping anything possible and leaping any gap you should be ready.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:58 pm

• Duel with players who are better than you are. Even better if they are willing to help/spar/train you.
    • Know your weapons, their moves and weaknesses.
    • Distancing is critical.
    • Learn to BS, and learn it well. Even if you don't want to BS during duels, your opponents will (outside of FC). Learning to BS well will help you avoid them.
    • Vary your attacks, or you will become too predictable.
    • Duel with people who are better than you.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:00 am

reim0027 wrote:

• Duel with players who are better than you are. Even better if they are willing to help/spar/train you.
    • Know your weapons, their moves and weaknesses.
    • Distancing is critical.
    • Learn to BS, and learn it well. Even if you don't want to BS during duels, your opponents will (outside of FC). Learning to BS well will help you avoid them.
    • Vary your attacks, or you will become too predictable.
    • Duel with people who are better than you.

Agree 100%
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:07 am

I'm going to sticky this for now as it has plenty of really useful information. Big thumbs up community folks big grin

Be warned though, if this becomes a bloated thread/argument/too unfocused in a few days we shall be unstickying it again.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 am

Know your opponent. The winner of a fight is, more often than not, the player who knows his opponent better. That knowledge allows a fighter to predict his opponents actions and use them against him.

Weapon choice, armor preference, stamina regen gear, casting impliment. All these things are clues to the opponents playsyle and only take seeing said opponent.

Ex: I wear Knights chest, havels gauntlets/greaves, and either the MoF, MoC, or dusk crown with my weapons being the iaito, fury sword, grass crest shield, and dm talismine.

So you can assume just from that, i'm likely to buff and have miracles, am a stamina hound and so either highly aggressive or dodgy. I use smaller weapons, so i'm probably aggressive, if my buffs gone i'm weak. I'm likely to bs you because my small weapon hits hard that way. I'm likely to bait unbuffed weapons into a trade as i'll do 800-1600 damage in my 2 to 3 swings.

All of this can be known at a glance, before the fight starts.
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:39 am

learn every fighting pattern for example full havel with mask and greatsword parry. change tactic if fighting the same opponent repetitively.always keep line of sight and watch for phantoms and remember its ok to spam WOG on a 3 on 1 fight.Last rule be respectful to you opponent

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:05 pm