Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Zechk
Quarik
LordRevan
Artorias
Buggy Virus
9 posters

Dark Souls Probably Won't have Mod Support

Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Dark Souls Probably Won't have Mod Support Empty Dark Souls Probably Won't have Mod Support

Post by Buggy Virus Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Being a direct port, done in such a short time period, I actually doubt dark souls will have any kind of mod support.

I want mods, but I don't it. It's a way to cash in a little bit more on the game, but isn't much more than that. And mods isn't a selling point among many in the dark souls community.
    Artorias
    Artorias
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Dark Souls Probably Won't have Mod Support Empty Re: Dark Souls Probably Won't have Mod Support

Post by Artorias Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Dark souls ...mods hahahaha
    LordRevan
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Dark Souls Probably Won't have Mod Support Empty Re: Dark Souls Probably Won't have Mod Support

Post by LordRevan Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:58 am

For me mods are the main point that if I have to choose between a game on 360 and PC for me to choose PC (Also 360 controller work for PC games so no loss!). But for me mods on dark souls just don't really appeal. Other than just plain funny ones, and fixes and I don't feel there are any need for them.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:10 am

I'd appreciate hosts that have mods that ban certain spells/weapons/armor pieces, and mods that prevent two different people from damaging one other player, thus preventing ganking on both ends.
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:14 am

It may not have direct support no, but that doesn't mean there won't be a thriving mod community. To take a relevant example, Just Cause 2 was a pretty good game without mods, but an AMAZING one with mods and that had no official mod support.

Life finds a way.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:02 am

I'm just pointing out there won't be real mod support, so it will probably take some engineering ingenuity to do anything really complicated or with online.

There will always be those weird mods that the community finds a way for.
    Sulfur
    Sulfur
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sulfur Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:25 am

I can't think of any mods that would make the experience better honestly.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:11 am

I could see people adding their own weapon skins or armor skins to existing pieces, perhaps even creating their own. I also see it having the ability to go south and have people creating op weapons and armor, or like people already do and giving them selves massive health and stamina. But like someone else said they could have ways for hosts to block certain mods.
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:26 am

Mods would be interesting but unless they are funny mods like turning hollows into clowns or something then they are ok but I don't want to deal with OP weapons and Mods those don't sound like fun..... for other players.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:06 am

The dark souls community really doesn't understand how mods interact with online play.

If you had mods on a game it would not be able to interact with other games online. Even if From was stupid enough to not make modded games able to interact with other games, (And by mods I mean games with user created content) Meeting someone who had user created weapons online would crash both the games of the person with the weapon and the one who didn't have that user created weapon.

Because the game that doesn't have that weapon has no data to generate it so it would just freak out and turn off.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Buggy Virus wrote:The dark souls community really doesn't understand how mods interact with online play.

You're assuming that within this entire forum no one games on the pc when members have clearly stated that they play on the pc and have had experience with mods. I'm actually quite sure a large majority of members on here have gamed on the pc before, and a good percentage of them have dealt with and or used mods.

I advise you to think before you make comments like this.
    Artorias
    Artorias
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Artorias Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Yep did you ever wonder why your rep is pretty low?
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:23 pm

I just said that based on the amount of time I've had to explain to people that mods are necessarily exploits or cheating, and having people getting angry at me for discussing exploits and such before I explain this to them.

I'm sorry I forgot to use the word "majority," or "Many." I figured that people wouldn't take it personally if they understood PC gaming and would understand my point that many of the members of community misconstrue the word mod.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:29 pm

Remember guys, try not to make things personal. There has just been a bit of a communication error.

With how Dark Souls works on the consoles if they use a similar system modded toons could still get around easily, but as you mentioned I couldn't see people ever getting full on game changes to work online without huge huge errors and issues causing them to fail. For offline play though people could probably manage to make bosses, armor, gear, items, maybe NPC's. But, no matter what I've never seen a game that could stop custom skins, there probably are some but I've never seen them. Custom skins and aesthetic changes I really see no problem with, they don't effect anyone. But in regards to support, no there probably won't be any. But really, is that going to stop anyone from doing it?
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Buggy Virus wrote:I just said that based on the amount of time I've had to explain to people that mods are necessarily exploits or cheating, and having people getting angry at me for discussing exploits and such before I explain this to them.

I'm sorry I forgot to use the word "majority," or "Many." I figured that people wouldn't take it personally if they understood PC gaming and would understand my point that many of the members of community misconstrue the word mod.

I think that most people hear understand what mods are and how they work. Some people don't like them. Its purely opinion. Don't degrade on others for having different opinions.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:42 pm

ErrJon6661 wrote:
    Buggy Virus wrote:I just said that based on the amount of time I've had to explain to people that mods are necessarily exploits or cheating, and having people getting angry at me for discussing exploits and such before I explain this to them.

I think that most people hear understand what mods are and how they work. Some people don't like them. Its purely opinion. Don't degrade on others for having different opinions.

I really haven't said anything degrading. I'm more talking about the fact that many people here who play mainly console see the word mod and think it has a negative connotation.

Ahem

I haven't said anything bad about anybody for not understanding PC modding community and not realizing it isn't the same thing as user created content.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:25 pm