Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
ViralEnsign_
Tolvo
PlasticandRage
Kyubi-Nick
Carphil
ARSP
skarekrow13
Imarreteet23
Serious_Much
13 posters

Talk about the art of Film

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Talk about the art of Film - Page 2 Empty Re: Talk about the art of Film

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 pm

I liked Lord of war myself yeah, was actually pretty interesting. But when I've seen his awe-inspiring performances in films such as Drive Angry and Face Off, you know he doesn't care whether a film is a cinematic masterpiece.

I dislike it when actors have the approach of wanting money more than desiring to take part in creation of art.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Serious_Much wrote:I liked Lord of war myself yeah, was actually pretty interesting. But when I've seen his awe-inspiring performances in films such as Drive Angry and Face Off, you know he doesn't care whether a film is a cinematic masterpiece.

I dislike it when actors have the approach of wanting money more than desiring to take part in creation of art.

Or Ghost Rider. Now there's a movie that's deserving of a sequel. Where are you on that one Hollywood?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Don't think I've seen lord actually so maybe I missed a good one. He's no Vin Diesel or Jason Statham though. Those cats can act.......

Like tools.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Jason is actually pretty good, but he's just so type cast. He's pretty convincing, but literally every film he's in, he's the same character.

Vin Diesel is a pretty good voice actor I'll say, ever seen the Iron Giant. winking
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:42 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:I liked Lord of war myself yeah, was actually pretty interesting. But when I've seen his awe-inspiring performances in films such as Drive Angry and Face Off, you know he doesn't care whether a film is a cinematic masterpiece.

Or Ghost Rider. Now there's a movie that's deserving of a sequel. Where are you on that one Hollywood?

lol, i love that.

Indeed, the national treasure series too needs more recognition, excellent films with a great cast and script.

I find problem with actors that get typecast, is that they generally deserve it. They're the ones who accept and apply for roles which they know wont help their image or critique as an actor.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:52 pm

Case and point: DeNiro is type cast too, but it doesn't matter because he's awesome in everything he's in. Crappy actors are type cast in parts that require crappy actors.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 pm

Ever seen De Niro's work in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, or Raging Bull? Two of my favourite films of his. I still need to see On the Waterfront though.

I might have enjoyed his work in Frankenstein a bit more than others though, as that is my favourite book haha.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:57 pm

sorry tolvo, I hate frankenstein, but then again any book you have to read and study as part of your coursework in school will be notoriously hated by the end of it. silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Maybe someone should make a literature thread haha. There I can speak about the book that I have the strongest feelings for, how it has shaped my life greatly, my deep and utter HATRED of the Scarlet Letter haha.

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:01 pm

anyways.... back to films, have you found that sometimes films can be so awful that they just become enjoyable due to the fact they're so laughably terrible?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Why do you think we were talking about Nicolas Cage earlier Serious. lol!

It's the same reason every now and then my friends and I watch Sleep Away Camp.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Tolvo wrote:Ever seen De Niro's work in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, or Raging Bull? Two of my favourite films of his. I still need to see On the Waterfront though.

I might have enjoyed his work in Frankenstein a bit more than others though, as that is my favourite book haha.

I know this is blasphemy as a literature major. But I'm just about to start reading Frankenstein for the first time. Haven't seen the film either. I'm right about to finish Moby **** and then I'm starting it.

Edit: I love that Moby **** is being censored out.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:45 am

I LOVE James Cameron. There I said it.

I love all of his films from his fantastic classic Titanic (which I've seen in 3D by the way and while I was skeptical about how that would affect the viewing experience I loved it) all the way through to its sci fi remake Avatar.

HIs auteristic style just appeals to me, what more can I say. The use of blue and halogen lighting makes everything look so fanatsic while fitting well enough into the scene. Also his use of expostiory shots always ensures that the scale of the scene is kept in mind ala the expostion shot of the Titanic vs the Tug boat that tows it vs the man on the tug.

Theres so much more to talk about in terms of story elements, writing, scripting, casting, editing, and more that I won't go on and bore you with it.

I aslo love Jack Lemon films, aka Some like it Hot and the Appartment, as he is a very funny actor.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:14 am

Fight Club (but if you really never heard of that one then idk...)

Ghost Dog (awesome setting, awesome soundtrack, everything fits together in this movie)

although it's a series: Breaking Bad (addictive! winking )

Kung Fu Hustle (Only kind of stumbled over it once while watching TV, but it was fridging awsome! I don't actually know if it's a successful movie, but I would guess so.)

Yeah, and more I can't think of right now...
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:57 am

Kung Fu Hustle is amazing! If you like kung fu comedy you might wanna check out Kung Pow. Not really much like hustle but dang funny.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:51 am

Ok thanks for the tip. Altough I never watched such kind of movies, but Kung Fu Hustle was so over the top and self-ironic and hilarious. I didn't see it all the way from the beginning, only saw about the last two thirds or so. That one definitely goes on my to-buy list.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:20 am

You won't regret buying that one. There's a lot of stuff in that movie under the surface too. The love story is understated but very well done for example. The main guy, Stephen Chow is pretty phenomenal in it.

Kung Pow I'll explain a little better since it's way different. The creator, Steve Oedekerk, took an old Kung Fu movie from the 1970s and edited the heck out of it. There was some new footage shot but most of the movie is Steve Oedekerk's head placed on the original hero's body with computers. Since it was made for American audiences we're used to English audio dubbed (poorly) over the movie so the lip motions are never even close to what you're hearing. So for this one they added completely new dialogue to rework the plot and when they added new footage the actors just said whatever they wanted and they added the real audio later. It's pretty damn funny
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:34 am

Lol sounds very interesting. big grin I'll check that one out for sure.
    vixder/pennywise
    vixder/pennywise
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vixder/pennywise Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:10 am

Drive : best movie 2011. Babyface Gosling takes no prisoners.
    13 Assassins : Takeshi Miike remakes samurai- movie. The last 1/3 is INSANE.
    Kill List : British indipendent movie about killers. For fans of movies like Funny Games (Austrian! not US) or David Lynch
    Let the right one in (the swedish, not the US-trash Let Me In) : Best (non action) Vampire-movie ever.
    Hugo Cabret : If you don´t mind movies for children, this is a must see. Best 3D movie so far.
    Chronicles : Found-footage-movie. Weak second half, but the first hour makes up for it.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:44 am

Let Me In was definitely garbage. Compared to the original at least. If it was an original work I think it would be considered "good" but not "great." The original was awexome so the US version was highly disappointing.
    vixder/pennywise
    vixder/pennywise
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vixder/pennywise Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:38 pm

Thank you! I highly recomend: read the book. One of the few casees, where its better to read the book after watching the movie. Both movies only cover half the ground of the book and the end in the book is... well.. I don´t know, go see for yourself winking
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:46 pm

Darkson wrote:Ghost Dog (awesome setting, awesome soundtrack, everything fits together in this movie)

If you haven't seen any of Jarmusch's other stuff I highly recommend it. He's probably my favorite film maker. Dead Man, which I already recommended, is probably my favorite film. Broken Flowers is also really great. Coffee and Cigarettes, Night on Earth, and Mystery Train are really great too. If you liked Ghost Dog, which is also one of my favorites, you definitely will like these others too. He has a really unique style and a dry humor that just kills me.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:55 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:
    Darkson wrote:Ghost Dog (awesome setting, awesome soundtrack, everything fits together in this movie)

If you haven't seen any of Jarmusch's other stuff I highly recommend it. He's probably my favorite film maker. Dead Man, which I already recommended, is probably my favorite film. Broken Flowers is also really great. Coffee and Cigarettes, Night on Earth, and Mystery Train are really great too. If you liked Ghost Dog, which is also one of my favorites, you definitely will like these others too. He has a really unique style and a dry humor that just kills me.

NIGHT ON EARTH!!! How ON EARTH could I forget that one! :affraid: It's genius, but only saw it once, definetely I have to buy that one too... the Italian guy was hilarious especially...

Lol and thanks for your other suggestions big grin If their also from Jarmush I must check them out of course.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:12 pm

He's a pretty prolific director. I'd say there's maybe 15 others, those are just my favorites. The Italian guy is Roberto Benigni. He's a really well known comedy actor in Europe. Although I've never seen any of his films other than the Jarmusch stuff he's in. Jarmusch uses him quite a bit though. He also uses Tom Waits a lot. There's another musician whose great in every film he's in. All I have to say is Renfield.

Check out Broken Flowers first. It's one of his newer ones. Bill Murray stars. There's a scene in that movie where Bill Murray sits and listens to an entire Marvin *** song. Great movie.

Edit: Really forum? The word G-@-Y? That is not profanity. In fact I'm pretty sure even used out of the context of a name that it's considered a politically correct term. I challenge you to that one forum.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:27 pm

That's actually the preferred term these days. Bill Murray....now there's an actor I enjoy watching. Pretty much any role he does. Gonna need to make a list of movies to watch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:04 am