Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Deadmeat95
aceluby
6 posters

Why no catalyst that casts multiple types of magic?

aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Why no catalyst that casts multiple types of magic? Empty Why no catalyst that casts multiple types of magic?

Post by aceluby Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:51 am

I've been severely disappointed that no catalysts, talisman's, or pyro hands allow you to cast other magic types. The demon's catalyst for instance I thought would for sure be able to cast pyro spells. Or a talisman that can cast sorceries. I think we'd get some more interesting builds with something like this and since demon's souls had one I figured there would be one in this game as well. I'm really hoping they add one or two back in the next game.
    Deadmeat95
    Deadmeat95
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Why no catalyst that casts multiple types of magic? Empty Re: Why no catalyst that casts multiple types of magic?

Post by Deadmeat95 Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:22 pm

I miss my talisman of the beast sad. I think that's what it was called.
    Fusion
    Casual
    Casual

Why no catalyst that casts multiple types of magic? Empty Re: Why no catalyst that casts multiple types of magic?

Post by Fusion Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:34 pm

It'd be too ineffective or overpowered. The ability to use multiple schools of magic with only one weapon slot would be an unneeded advantage in PvP. If they tried to counter it by making each spell weaker, by reducing the MagAdj no-one would use it and would instead focus on a single school.
    xXDaemonarchXx
    xXDaemonarchXx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xXDaemonarchXx Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:33 pm

Yeah it would be either too crappy for both or too good....agree with fusion
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:03 pm

I disagree with Fusion and I too would have loved catalysts that cast multiple types of magic.

Even if they diminish my damage a little, I have 50 Int, the Dusk Crown, and the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring. In that situation, having different types of magic to surprise the enemy with is much greater than doing a little more damage. A weaker hit landed is worth an infinite number of stronger hits missed. If it takes confusing my opponent to do that, I'll gladly take a small damage cut.

I would also like any catalyst that would allow me to parry. big grin It's always in my off-hand anyways, and it'd be much more useful to be able to parry with R2 than have a useless melee attack.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:28 pm

I think it would have been easy to make one that isn't OP. One way would be to scale miracles w/ faith and sorcery w/ int and have 2 maj adj stats. SL120 builds would then have 'some' availability to both, but one would typically be underpowered otherwise you'd have to sacrifice Vit and End. Another way would have been to scale it on one stat, but scale it much weaker. Not everyone used that talisman in Demon's Souls, I don't see why they would in dark either.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:46 pm

I pretty much only had Int/ Pyro in mind! That's what I do now, and I really enjoy it. Hadn't really considered Int/ Fth casting. But for any catalyst that used either Int or Fth with Pyro, then it could upgrade like the pyro glove, but scale with the Int or Fth stat. So the higher you upgrade it, the better it scales with your Int or Fth Stat.

As for Int/ Fth hybrid, it could just be the average of the two stats.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:05 pm

The demon catalyst should be able to do pyro and sorc, and would be limited if not upgradable...
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:30 pm

I'd love to see the DkS version of the Talisman of Beasts.

As far as balancing goes it could instead of having b/a/s scaling in int or fth it would have c or d scaling in both. So at low levels it would have a much lower magic adjust than other casting tools, but at higher levels it would have potentially the highest magic adjust not including the TCC.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:29 pm