Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
BLA1NE
BoilerFan8472
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Sebastrd
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Buggy Virus
10 posters

Reworking The Gear System

Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Reworking The Gear System - Page 2 Empty Re: Reworking The Gear System

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:57 am

Yukon wrote:^^ the 'forum hunk' might be able to impress there. winking

So far I have never gone over 50 burden, so I don't think I've seen what you are talking about first hand

Let's just say I will always reccomend the Cloranthy Ring for fat-rolling builds winking
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:58 am

Someone on here did a vid showing roll speed diffreence based on burden so I suppose its nnot too hard to believe stamina depends on it too.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:16 am

@Yukon

Off topic:

Yes, we could put some hard numbers on it, but I don't think it'd be really useful. I just don't see people suddenly changing the way they make their builds because we calculated that they'd get their stamina back 0.1 seconds sooner with 10% less equip weight!
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:28 am

BLA1NE wrote:Yes, we could put some hard numbers on it, but I don't think it'd be really useful. I just don't see people suddenly changing the way they make their builds because we calculated that they'd get their stamina back 0.1 seconds sooner with 10% less equip weight!

But it'd still be interesting wouldn't it? winking

*insert obligatory DWGR hate here*
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:22 am

I think a better solution is to simply eliminate the DWGR as it exists. Without it there is a fair trade off between mobility and defense and everything stays balanced.

The DWGR should instead increase how much you can carry and give you the flip below 25% encumberence.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:35 am

Federally wrote:I think a better solution is to simply eliminate the DWGR as it exists. Without it there is a fair trade off between mobility and defense and everything stays balanced.

Fixed that for you winking
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:19 am

No the DWGR should exist. Light build should be able to ninja flip if they want. However it shouldn't allow heavy builds to ninja flip.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:23 am

Just make the DWGR a purely aesthetic piece of gear. Allow people to ninja flip if they want (must be >25% regardless) but don't allow it to have all these powerful weight modifiers that it has now.

In other words, if you want to ninja flip you have to look, more or less, the part.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:23 am

My thoughts on the DWGR was more supposed to be a side note and not a main point of the thread. Though it always seems to become so when you make a thread about gear weight.

But it is like Blaine said, there are no cons to heavy armor if you have the END.

Weapons in darksouls, regardless your stats, have different pros and cons. On the other hand with gear, you merely need to decide the roll weight you want then stack up the heaviest possible armor you want. This makes it so that the heavier armors are simply better, and you just need to build your toon to fit that armor.

While removing the DWGR to some would fix some of the "problems" in Dark Souls right now, this thread isn't about that.

The point of a system with stat specific armor scaling is it would make it so different classes really do seem different. A STR/END class would generally wear heavier armor and, even if very proficient in that sort of armor, would be slower than a different build that decides to use light armor.

Light armor and Heavy armor would stop being so much a question as, "how much heavy armor can I toss on my toon," to "Do I want a fast light build, or a slower heavy build."

At the same time it wouldn't restrict you towards what armors you could wear. Perhaps with a DEX build you would be more inclined to use the lighter armors, and with a STR build you would be more inclined to use the heavier armors, but you could still mix and match, or even use full heavy armor on a DEX build.

It just gives a greater feeling of diversity between builds, like what we already see with weapons.

This thread isn't meant to try and confront things like masks, certain rings, and how the flip should work within Dark Souls. It's supposed to propose a different system that is an alternative to the one now.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:43 am

In a different thread someone came up with thus idea and I think it works here too. Instead of your scaling idea, make an armor's poise scale with RES. Heavy armors get higher scaling and all armor's poise is directly tied to RES. Then make armors heavier and fix the DWGR.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:07 am

Federally wrote:In a different thread someone came up with thus idea and I think it works here too. Instead of your scaling idea, make an armor's poise scale with RES. Heavy armors get higher scaling and all armor's poise is directly tied to RES. Then make armors heavier and fix the DWGR.

I think resistance being the scaling stat for poise within armor would work as well, and within this system. Meaning you would have to invest to really build a specifically well armored build, rather than a purely weapon build.

On DWGR I think flipping should be in the game, but just not a ring ability.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:13 am