Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
scotty1320
Hahalo
FruitPunchNinja
Wilkinson3424
Majikero07
SlakeMoth
TheBigLebowski
LordRevan
WyrmHero
Sparda
RANT
dianaduh
Federally
Forum Pirate
OcelotRigz
NordNorth
Azran
Extertionist
ChizFreak
Buggy Virus
Ecko
befowler
TehInfamousAmos
Serious_Much
Owl
29 posters

Dark Souls Vs. Other RPGs

Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Dark Souls Vs. Other RPGs - Page 3 Empty Re: Dark Souls Vs. Other RPGs

Post by Azran Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Of course. Difficulty is, in a certain sense, relative. I'm not afraid to say I played Dead Space 2 on Casual, since I like to overpower survival horror games in the endgame. I had fun, and that won't make me any less of a gamer than a guy who clears DkS on a SL1 naked run.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:37 pm

TheBigLebowski wrote:
    SlakeMoth wrote:Oh, come on, a game shouldn't be judged just by it's difficulty. Sure, Skyrim isn't as difficult as Dark Souls but, whereas Dark Souls is a niche game which appeals to gaming veterans, Skyrim is a game that anyone can play at any level and there should be room for both.

To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of reading posts from people bragging about how they have to play Skyrim on 'rock hard' difficulty to gain any satisfaction from it. It's either that or they go on about how they play Dark Souls with one hand tied behind their back at soul level zero just to prove how superior their gaming skills are. In the great scheme of things it 'ain't worth a hill of beans'.

Well said sir. We are talking about RPG's. Everyone can decide for her or himself how to play the game and at which level they get the most satisfaction out of it.

Well said Madam*

But I agree it's totally down to just enjoying a game really. I know I have no intention of practicing PvP just to learn to blind parry a MLGS, frankly I couldn't care less. Couldn't care less if a guy beat skyrim with a goddam iron dagger (though I'd feel sorry for him having to play the game for so long to be able to accomplish that)

Long as I enjoy playing a game and get my moneys worth I'm just fine with that.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:34 am

i agree difficulty does not make a good game. i think dark souls difficulty is exaggerated to be honest.not trying to brag thats just how i feel, it certainly has a bit of a learning curve. Dark souls and Demons souls are two of my favorite games ever, only rivaled by the Metal Gear Solid franchise(mgs1 is my favorite then 3,2,4). As for rpgs i love the shin megami tensei games(sooooo underrated) i find them much more challenging and entertaining then FF(still a "decent" franchise). SMT:Nocturn,SMT:Devil Summoner1+2,Persona 3,Persona 4, all great rpgs. It was hard to play other games after getting really into souls, but since i have put close to if not more then 2000hrs(dont know cause i bb glitched :oops:) i am now getting back into other games. anyone whos a fan of rpgs should play any Shin Megami Tensei game for ps2(or any handheld/console i just think the best are on ps2) they can get their hands on. most are turn based but SMT:devil summoner has a really cool real time action fighting mechanic. they dont have a budget like FF but their games tend to be more enjoyable imo. heres an example of devil summoners gameplay for people who arent a fan of turn based(which most of the other games are)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbR7tzHCQ7E&feature=relmfu its very star oceanish, better imo. you have a sword and a gun(six shots) and can control two devils/monsters. the fight pauses while selecting their magic attacks. it can be very challenging on the harder difficultys. you combine monsters to make different ones, thats a reoccuring theme in smt games. also you play as a detective, if that interests anyone. a lot of smt games are very much like a more adult themed pokemon game with much darker atmosphere. honestly i think smt came before pokemon,not sure.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:13 am

To be fair, I've got more fits of rage over Fire Emblem than over Dark Souls.

ENEMY 1% CRITICALS ARGH.
    Hahalo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Hahalo Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:37 am

Skyrim World + Dark Souls Combat Systems & Learning Curve + Dragon Dogma's Boss fight System + Dragon Age: Origin' Story. = EPIC WIN.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:55 am

Hahalo wrote:Skyrim World + Dark Souls Combat Systems & Learning Curve + Dragon Dogma's Boss fight System + Dragon Age: Origin' Story. = EPIC WIN.

I daren't comment on that because I'd be kicked off the wiki for using bad language.

However, I agree about the Shin Megaten games. The first one I played and still my favourite is 'Lucifer's Call'. Unfortunately, I finished it by mistake because I didn't realise that I was fighting the final boss when I was fighting the final boss and I still hadn't explored all the kalpas. Oh and Dante put in an appearance at some point if I remember correctly.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:56 am

Hahalo wrote:Skyrim World + Dark Souls Combat Systems & Learning Curve + Dragon Dogma's Boss fight System + Dragon Age: Origin' Story. = EPIC WIN.

I know its all a matter of opinion but I much prefer the story telling of Dark Souls to the BioWare model.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:42 am

SlakeMoth wrote:

I daren't comment on that because I'd be kicked off the wiki for using bad language.

However, I agree about the Shin Megaten games. The first one I played and still my favourite is 'Lucifer's Call'. Unfortunately, I finished it by mistake because I didn't realise that I was fighting the final boss when I was fighting the final boss and I still hadn't explored all the kalpas. Oh and Dante put in an appearance at some point if I remember correctly.

hmm are you from the UK? in NA that game is called SMT:Nocturn. yea dante makes an appearance and is your enemy. they person who did the art design for that game also did DMC3. i havent played every smt game, i just dl some ds roms im excited to play and i really wanna buy smt:digital devil saga 1&2.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Federally wrote:

I know its all a matter of opinion but I much prefer the story telling of Dark Souls to the BioWare model.

I agree. Even then, I kind of like their voice actors myself, and the dialogue on some of their characters. At least the Codex is a good way to dump info in an optional way. It's there if you want, and won't get in the way if you don't want to read about it.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Azran wrote:
    Federally wrote:

I agree. Even then, I kind of like their voice actors myself, and the dialogue on some of their characters. At least the Codex is a good way to dump info in an optional way. It's there if you want, and won't get in the way if you don't want to read about it.

Yes I agree they get some good voice actors, I mean Martin Sheen as TIM was incredible, however I'm more and more enjoying games that allow the story to be experienced rather then told to me. I do own all the Mass effects though so it's not like I'm trashing the BioWare model. The only one I really dislike is Bethesda and Skyrim as far as story telling is concerned.
    scotty1320

Post by scotty1320 Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 am

Personally I got bored with the Witcher 2 after chapter 1, just didn't feel the love for it!

Heard a lot of good stuff about Dragon's Dogma, shall pick this up soon.

Dark Souls is by far the best RPG I have played on Xbox - in fact, it might just be my favourite game of ALL time (and I've not even finished it lol)!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 am

Oh hey, you edited the OP. Well, yes. You'll risk having less fun, but you could have far more.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Witcher 2 was my 2011 Goty just ahead of the Deus Ex HR, can't comment on Skyrim, haven't touched an Elder Scrolls since Morrowind.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Outside of the boss fights, Deus Ex HR is probably one of the best RPG's I've played in recent years, along side WItcher 2, and Dark Souls. Other than that most just fel bland or boring to me, Mass Effect, etc. I do enjoy Skyim, but again it seems a bit soulless to me and seems like they focused too much on quantity in game, rather than quality. The combat also annoys me, I've actually died a lot in Skyrim, but I play on Master. The reason isn't that it's too difficult, it is that it isn't balanced. I'll enter a barrow at level 15, and get met with two Draugr Deathlords and a Dragon Priest, whom which can one shot me. If the Draugr get close, they do the execution animation instantly killing me. The Dragon Priest has an instant shock spell that one shots me and can't be dodged. I have 200 HP and deal 5% of their health each hit. How the hell am I supposed to sruvive that? Gues what I'm ot. I have to enter spawning them at their level, then leave the dungeon and come back at higher level when I can fight them. That kills the experience for me on Master.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Alas, the fake difficulty of adding numbers instead of intelligence strikes again.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:55 pm

Fallout 3/NV used the same system, but so much better.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:55 am

I liked Deus Ex-HR a lot but The Witcher 2 left me cold. It was more of a guided tour than a game in my opinion.

On the other hand, after neglecting it for Dark Souls, I love Skyrim and am playing a lot of it currently. However, the main quest doesn't interest me that much because I hate taking sides, which was the reason I stopped playing Fallout New Vegas. Too many factions, unlike Oblivion which had a definite main quest plotline where everyone was after the bad guy. Too many choices muddy the water for me.
    zzCLR2Rzz
    zzCLR2Rzz
    Casual
    Casual

Post by zzCLR2Rzz Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Bought the reckonning, its ok has soem nice stuff but still have not beat it, i seem to get bored with it after about 90 min, but i dont regret buying it.

Went and picked up dragons dogma and have not played any other RPG's since i bought it (no disrespect for Dark Souls but i have played it since launch and decided to put it down for a while until the DLC comes out, then i will start over)

But Dragons Dogma, the only thing i dont like is that there is not a dodge button(2 classes have a shield but that is it) but being able to climb up the bosses and cut them down to size is fun.

Have no played Witcher series so cant comment, roomate bought Skyrim, meh...but in all fairness i never got into the elder scrolls series.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:32 pm

^ i was really excited for dragons dogma, i bought it new on day one(i NEVER do that). A few things, one that you mentioned, turned me off though. I do plan on giving it another shot,but it was just a let down at the moment. You dont have a normal roll, and maybe you can change this but the camera drove me crazy while trying to play as a fighter. I think i will be better off just being a strider class starting and just used range, so i can at least enjoy the game maybe. I also was disappointed with the character design, they clearly took a lot of options out as on disc DLC. When i played the demo i thought, "wow this is a cool character creation, but i hope this isn't the only options". Other then that i feel like they went a little overboard with the items, theres so many its just tedious to actually keep track(this is obviously a tiny complaint and personal opinion, some may love that)
    zzCLR2Rzz
    zzCLR2Rzz
    Casual
    Casual

Post by zzCLR2Rzz Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:47 pm

^for your main charchter, I would go with Magick Knight or Magic Archer, at the beginning Strider kind of sucks because the Bows do not do alot of damage (once you can use longobw as Ranger or Magick Bow its alot better.

Magick and Magick archer has lock on (kind of) but those are my fav classes, and i have not gotten too far into the item creation but I agree it can be....overwhelming to the point that you question if it is worth it but when i get some free time i will try to get into it.

and Jumping can be an effective dodge but there is no roll sad.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:51 pm

See i think playing as a fighter at the start is the most difficult, but in a cumbersome way. The whole climbing mechanic had me really excited, and after the demo i tryed to stay excited. I just cant ignore the camera issues though, i will often not even be able to see my character when fighting larger enemies. If there is a simple camera option solution to this then thats great but i dont recall seeing one.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:07 pm

interesting thread this was imo - I had fun with it.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:29 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:See i think playing as a fighter at the start is the most difficult, but in a cumbersome way. The whole climbing mechanic had me really excited, and after the demo i tryed to stay excited. I just cant ignore the camera issues though, i will often not even be able to see my character when fighting larger enemies. If there is a simple camera option solution to this then thats great but i dont recall seeing one.

It felt like a button-masher for me. The lack of evade/rolling mechanics in games bother me, the same way as if they lack blocking (DMC, I'm looking at you.)
    safeagent47
    safeagent47

Post by safeagent47 Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Skyrim, my favourite much more easy going, Darksouls awesome but im running out of hair to pull out, so its nice to have a break!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:46 pm