Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Forum Pirate
lextune
swordiris
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
FruitPunchNinja
DoughGuy
About8547Souls
RANT
Serious_Much
fearandwhiskey
Darkson
roanispe
Carphil
bloodpixel
Reaperfan
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Rynn
21 posters

I miss this era of Dark Souls

roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

I miss this era of Dark Souls - Page 3 Empty Re: I miss this era of Dark Souls

Post by roanispe Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:12 am

I was sitting on this image for far too long not to do something with it. However, it wasn't my intent to be offensive, but give a sense of one of the obnoxious announcers, or of some WWF wrestler like Macho Man Randy Savage. It was an attempt to be silly, and if it came across as offensive, then I really need to re-examine what I find funny to find something that would be more humorous in context. My sincerest apologies.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:15 am

I was actually making a reference to Acidic's thread, wasn't there a poll about if anyone found it offensive? It can be taken that way, but yeah without tone some people might not like it. I understand the intent is to joke around, just always be careful because it could also come off as passive aggressive. Usually when there are weirdly drawn anime pictures with a caption, I figure it's just a joke though. Maybe it needs more nonsense, and mustaches could improve those images.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:21 am

To be honest, I don't think many things can be more nonsensical than a man dressed in a golden spandex suit, covered in golden face paint, and a mighty high tower of blonde hair dual-wielding broadswords.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:24 am

Ah...I didn't actually see that half of the image, it looked to me like it just said, "Hey Wikispaces. Still arguing again about the DWGR? This guys has won like twice in etc second. Just have fun."

The view image never worked for me, but I guess I have to open it in a new tab.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:42 am

That could explain a lot of confusion. To celebrate, here is a useful chart regarding average defences of all potential different armour combinations:
    For All Armour Sets:
    For High Poise Combinations:
    (Same trick you used for other images, use for this)

When I look at these charts, and other bits of information, it really seems a whole lot of thought went into the mechanics of the game for PvP. There is only one major anomaly in terms of equipment equivalency, and that is the DWGR. When I think about it, I really think that this is done to make armour something worth wearing; I believe that if this ring did not exist, light roll would have been deemed the only viable roll. After all, if your opponent can move faster than you, they can just get away and heal, and they'd get backstabs much easier. Although the ring might not have been the best solution, it was solution chosen. One of the main things I noted about Demon Souls was that armour wasn't really useful, and in this game that tries to give a High Fantasy atmosphere, they really wanted people to wear armour. I think that if (if being the operative word) make another Souls Series game that they won't give a single piece of equipment so much power, but I do think that we are stuck with the One Ring for now.

Last edited by roanispe on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:45 am

Hmm, so out of every bit of useful information in that post, rather than responding to that, I'll just make a joke.

So you're saying we need to enter morder to balance the game a bit more?

And that does seem a bit odd about the resistance meaning less over time, it almost seems like it enforces the idea of using lightning weapons. This game is a bit nutty at times.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:56 am

Aye, we need to use the Eagles to fly into Mordor, and destroy the One Ring.

When considering Lightning Defence, we must consider the means of getting Lightning Damage; Sunlight Blade, the Spear Miracles, and the +5 Lightning Weapons, with a few odd other ones as well. There aren't a remarkable amount of ways to get this type of damage, and even less of getting it pure; only the Lightning Spear miracles will do only that coveted damage form. Comparatively, there are a multitude of ways to do exclusively Physical, Magical, or Fire damage. Defence takes in to account the odds of getting hurt by something, or more importantly the odds of getting hurt by something doing exclusively that damage.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 am

I was curious, is their such a chart for things like Strike, Thrust, etc?
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:00 am

Sadly, I don't have that one. However, I honestly do think that quite a bit a thought went into balancing the game, but the guiding hand made some mistakes along the way. The DWGR, for better or for worse, might be the largest of such errors.

Post Script: Did you get to see the whole picture, does it seem less 'offensive' with everything visible?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:04 am

As well if you ask me, the amount of damage weapons do to poise. Certain weapons do seem more pointed towards PvE, which actually makes sense in some ways. Until you take into account the BS damage of such weapons, as well as ones that do hit quite quickly. Great Axes, not all that great for PvP unless you are going for just a BS. Useful against bosses, because they aren't as agile as players or have as great a sense of danger. But then you have weapons like Greatswords, fast swings that can easily stunlock and will deal a lot of damage. The treatment of Greatswords has always been a bit of an issue to me.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:23 am

The longest PvP streak I had was with a +15 Great Axe in the Catarina Set. It can stunlock like nothing else when used correctly, and the range is actually quite surprising. Not only that, it can dead-angle pretty darn well, too, and has the ability to stagger to back it up. However, this is in comparison to the Greatsword, which has taken a place as the 'standard' PvP weapon. When examining any weapon (except for the Fist, Whip, and Hammers) you'll be able notice strengths, and weakness in comparison to the Greatsword, and there is nothing wrong with this. When choosing your weapon, your most typical opponent should be a Claymore, Giants+MoM wielder with the RoFap and DWGR. So, you pick your weapon out, and imagine using against someone using this.

Lets take a look on a thoroughly maligned weapons, the Axes (not Hand-Ax). Now, you might think that this wasn't balanced properly at all at first glance, but you'll notice that 2h Axes will have more range than Claymore, and can stagger on the second hit. This means if you can take one Greatsword hit, then you can stunlock them if you get that first shot out of range. If you can parry roll-attack that come right next to you, then suddenly you can do a very powerful zoning game against our Giant Momtroll as he'll have to approach by a less safe means than rolling. However, you need confidence and caution to use it effectively, else you might miss your opportunity to hit them coming into range, or, worse yet, miss them. It requires more skill to use effectively, but you'll find yourself at an advantage against your Greatsword wielder can you use it effectively. I could list out more tactics, but I do think that game has an overarching balance with some mistakes here, and there.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:26 am

I'm speaking more so about players at an equal skill level. As well I often do think a bit too much as a forest hunter, so I mostly think in terms of 3v1 situations so slow weapons usually just seem a bit underpowered to me haha. I guess I should focus more on the 1v1 aspect though.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:40 am

I couldn't blame them, no. Its relative power or frequency of use are irrelevant in the context of your original point, only that its a "crutch." Everything can be classified or used as a crutch, so the dwgr doesn't warrant a nerf based on that premise.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:42 am

Spoiler:

Focus on whatever is fun; I am no Forest Hunter so I am totally lacking on that one aspect of the game. However, I still have an enjoyable experience. What I want people to realise that is if you are having a good time with whatever you are doing already, then there isn't really a problem. This game won't magically become more fun if you strap yourself in Giant's Armour; playing to win should be playing until you are comfortable with skill level, not playing for the sake of playing.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:44 am

If something is considered necessary when it really isn't, it is a crutch. So if you take it away, people cannot stand on their own at first. Want to have a fast moving build? Well you could wear less armor...Or you could use a crutch, the DWGR, which lets you be fast moving while having the poise and defense you want. So you come to depend on that poise and defense, as well as mobility. Thus it is a crutch. If I could only play using Ripostes, because I don't know how to hit people, I'm using ripostes as a crutch. What I'd rather see is players standing on their own two feet, rather than being addicted to a ring that makes the game look just a bit sillier.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:45 am

Actually Ran that is something I've sort of thought about in the game, and it's why I wish there was more of a unified dueling community. Sort of like, "Burg is people who want to just win. PW is for people who wish to just play whatever. Centipede Demon area is for people wishing to practice or new players." Maybe not that exactly, but similar to how games have a ranked, and regular.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 am

Hey, with the new Arena mode coming with the 'Prepare to Die', you might get your wish!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 am

opinion. I have fun playing, I have more fun winning. If I can't win every fight under any conditions every time, I'm not good enough. I'm well aware I'll never be that good, but if I don't set my sights above what is thought possible, then I'll never come into my full potential or push the limits of what can be done.

Also, aim assist is the devil and gets in the way of reflex shots at multiple targets. I bought the game to play it, not have it play itself.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:52 am

Yeah that would be nice, especially as a person getting back into the game going into places like FC where I just get destroyed every fight, it just does nothing for me. But then there comes the issue of people who just abuse the system. While in most games you can report people for that, Dark Souls doesn't strike me as a game that will really take that into consideration. I'll have to wait and see though, because the match making system is still so far in the future with so little known.

Forum, just remember that you can't win every fight under every condition. Or rather, that you won't. Technically you can, it's just a question of whether you will or will not.

In games like Red Dead Redemption, if you use aim assist then press up, you'll get a head shot on any target. So players that use it actually have an outright advantage, however if they go into hardcore mode they die mercilessly since there is no aim assist.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:56 am

And my reliance on high damage per hit weapons is a crutch because it means I can move and dodge less to conserve stamina.

Nothing is necessary, I could beat a sl 709 decked out player naked at sl 1 with my bare fists. Not easy, but possible, meaning gear and stats arn't necessary, thus any gear is a crutch, a tool to make up for my inability to perform.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:59 am

And a player that defeats you while naked is a lot more skillful, it may be more difficult for them, but that's also the fun of it. It sort of brings about one of the draws of this game, challenging yourself. If you don't find something challenging enough or skillful enough, put limitations on yourself to get more joy out of it. Otherwise we wouldn't have NG+++ runs, or people playing without the DWGR. I'm glad to see you're now starting to understand it.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:01 am

Forum Pirate, when you say that, you do say that you aren't comfortable with you current skill level, and you want to become better. You play to win for the very reason that you should be: to get better at the game. However, there are a large group of people out there that don't seek to win every fight, or get better, but just have fun. For them, they should only seek out playing to win if they aren't having a satisfactory experience with their current skill level.

And I wish I could've picked whatever 'Dead-Eye' you wanted; the first was my favourite, but then they became so ridiculous that I stopped using it because it wasn't fun killing everything instantly with practically no aim. At least let me feel skilled!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:03 am

Roan I know exactly how you feel, marking targets is nice in a shoot out situation. But they could have left it used in just shoot outs, which were pretty wonky as is. Maybe we should make a RDR thread haha.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:12 am

I've always seen it, and I practice undergeared to refine my abilities, but thats not for fun. I don't get joy out of winning handicapped, it means I was far superior to my opponent or my opponent was also handicapped, essentialy meaning we might as well have been using the better gear.

Its practice. I can have fun at practice or I can have fun winning duels. I work at practice to have fun winning duels.

What I'm saying roan, is that I'm not comfortable with any achievable skill level. If I'm not inargueably the best at everything I do, I'm not good enough.

My aim assist complaint was from cod and halo. It actually gets in my way, rather frequently.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:17 am

Yet if people wish to handicap themselves to impose challenges, they aren't play the game to their best? As well if they are handicapped why do you feel the need to defeat them? It proves nothing. My point is, what is the point of winning if you feel the victory should be shallow anyway. People who want to always win feel they are proving something in winning. So why would they want to win a fight that proves nothing to themselves? That's what I'm getting at, let people have fun in their ways. But don't try to impose one's own form of fun on others. I think running around in tights without a shield is fun and zero poise, so I might do that. You think winning by any means is fun, so you try to do that. But why would you want to fight a person with zero poise if the victor means nothing, since they have gimped themselves so much? That's why I wish there was the different areas for different kinds of duels. You could stay dueling with people who just want to win, so when you win or lose you understand why and are alright with it. I'll stick with people who tend to be a bit silly, because I like being silly and get bored if people aren't trying out some variety. That's all I'm getting at Forum.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 6:58 pm