Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
Tolvo
zzombieboy
Fhuri
RandelOolacile
BartholomewWenceslas
dianaduh
FruitPunchNinja
Uparkaam
Doelker
isthefridge
OrnsteinBro
Forum Pirate
Noob-of-Artorias
ICEFANG
IV_Mark_VI
19 posters

Is Ganking ever acceptible?

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Is Ganking ever acceptible? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Ganking ever acceptible?

Post by Tolvo Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Mark, people with top end gear invading low levels are griefers, and he said he understands disconnecting from Griefers.
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:35 pm

The majority of people still actively PvPing will be those who have completed the game several times, and are only playing it now for PvP. Besides not every single person who invades you is going to have top level gear. You don't even have anyway of knowing that until the fight begins. I never suggested that you have to take 'shortcuts' through the game to get better gear in order to be sporting, I merely said that suggesting it was unfair is a little harsh. You don't even need upgraded gear to be effective in PvP. I have a build in which I only use the drake sword, and still win plently of level 120 PvP. Sure good gear can give you and advantage, but it in no way seals a victory.

I did say that it was my opinion, but to explain; if you are playing online and human and are not PvPing then chances are you are looking for a phantom to help you coast through the game on easy-mode. That also is not how the game is meant to played, hence the invasion mechanic. Invaders are there to remind you that playing online with a phantom comes with it's own risks. For this reason I find disconnecting unpsorting outside of griefing/ganking as you are only taking the advantages of playing online as a 'human', and running away from the disadvantages of it. You also aren't going to get better at PvP if you disconnect because you assume you can't win.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:41 pm

He did, but if you're lvl 50 with top gear invading others; are you not a griefer? Or does it depend on what lvl you're fighting? How would you even know? I have only +9/+10 gear by the time I'm in Anor Londo normally; once I get the lord vessel I make it a priority to upgrade my stuff to +14/+15 if I can. So if I'm in Anor Londo with +9 Bastard Sword, and I get invaded... should I try to fight, knowing my lesser gear won't save me? My weapon is better than my armour btw, and likely I won't have anything great at that point. Maybe a +4 unique chest piece, maybe a +7 non-unique one.

Currently, I am playing with friends in other places that have not finished the game (3 of them...). I keep a character for each, and I build correctly, but I don't get gear they don't have, and I don't spoil anything for them. So yes, it helps them, but I don't want to outshine or ruin their experience.

Edit: I've never used the Drake Sword. I didn't find it myself in my own playthrough until the very end (killing that dragon was really tough... didn't look for that spot to shoot it with arrows) so I don't enjoy using it. I guess I could think that I'm handicapping myself, but I don't care; I have more PvE and total game enjoyment playing how I envision the game was intended. That doesn't equip me, or the noob friends I assist to fight invaders.

When we fought Knight Kirk in the Depths my friend was so happy we finally killed an invader I didn't tell him it was just a computer...

Last edited by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:43 pm

I do the same Mark actually, building appropriate for each area. I just keep a powerful weapon for the griefer invaders. Yeah, it's a grim world. I see where you are coming from, basically griefers came about, then anti-griefers, now as an invader you'll probably die without the best gear. As a host, the same. With the BB glitch, most hosts that people will invade do have the best gear. The same goes for the hosts, dealing with invaders with glitched over gear. It's definitely a bad situation, and frankly I can't give you a great answer as of what is the best way to deal with it.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm sure my perspective will change if I ever try out an evil dark wraith. Haven't been one yet, nor have I been a DMB. I have seen people complain about people not indicting others... I'm going to distribute stacks of 5 indictments to everyone I fight to proliferate it.

Edit: that's a good idea. Do you quickly change into better armour as well? Or just a top weapon? Do you have top rings as well (Hornet, DWGR, Havels)?

Last edited by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:48 pm

But I hate being Indicted, I want humanity from the invaders I kill. sad

Plus I'm a nice invader, it saddens me when I get indicted.
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:05 pm

Yeah, for PvE it's different. Having the best gear takes the fun out of it, which is why I said that most people using the good gear will just be playing for PvP, and so won't be bothered about using area appropriate gear.

Tolvo is right though, it's not a good situation but it's necessary. Trying to kill a giant and mask using ganker with 2500 vit and 20 estus flasks is not easy as a low level Darkwraith if you don't have good gear, and seeing that type of host happens all too frequently nowadays. The griefers have spoiled a lot of good PvP areas now, particularly since the 'anti-griefing' griefers have popped up. People looking for genuine, fair duelling at any level have a much harder time of it now.

Also, as I often play Darkmoon, I definitely like your idea of indicting everyone, and encouraging others to do the same happy
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Oh, and upgraded armour doesn't really make that much of a difference anyway. Poise and resistances are much more important than defence if you ask me. That's usually why I rock a mixture of light and medium armour with the Wolf Ring
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Ganking can be fun under certain conditions, but only as the invader (?)

I'll explain:

Take this as example. The gankers are trying so danm HARD to kill him, even when he have just a 20% chance to win. I laughed my *** off because they are kinda pathetic, 1 vs 1 for them is extremely hard and they do whatever they can to win, like a real "life or death" situation
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:22 pm

lol! i love how they just keep using the same gundam music.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm confused, why was I -1 for saying I enjoy fighting ganker, and why were the others who said the same thing not? I think I smell spite. Who are you mysterious person whos randomly downrepping my posts?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Maybe it was a bit arrogant in the wording, in some ways. But I don't know if we've started downrepping eachother for being confident, so I've got no clue Forum. I got downrepped earlier for mentioning that I won't play anymore PvP because my lag gives me too much of an advantage.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:15 pm

It's like the N-word, tolvo. You never say it, because no matter the context someone will get upset about it.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Isn't that the system abuse explicitly forbidden by Emergance? Can only hope it doesn't get out of hand, it is a useful system, even though it should be taken with a grain of salt.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Aye. Most of my upreps are from me just making wise cracks that people found funny.

they should add something to the profile page that lets you see all the person's uprepped posts.

Last edited by cloudyeki on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:25 pm

I was tempted to make a nice little guide to reputation for new members, titled "I have the Most Likes on Facebook!"
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:27 am

Rep will always be imperfect and never beyond the scope of abuse. The best control we have is the limiting of rep one can give per day. In the end, things will always even out.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:48 am

Forum Pirate wrote:I'm confused, why was I -1 for saying I enjoy fighting ganker, and why were the others who said the same thing not? I think I smell spite. Who are you mysterious person whos randomly downrepping my posts?

i hate those poeple, last week i kept gettting downrepped left and right for soe weird reason, and this week i have been downrepped for no apparent reason, lame.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:54 am

I spend most of my +1s trying to correct things like that. I rep for justice and logic, I fail to understand why people rep for opinions. Its an opinion, who is anyone to judge the opinion of another?
    isthefridge
    isthefridge
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by isthefridge Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:30 am

FruitPunchNinja wrote:You basically just described a normal invasion, unless you are talking about harvesting souls from invaders.If you're just making your way through the level nothing wrong with having phantoms. Thats not ganking though, ganking is if you summon 2 phantoms and wait at invader spawn points and attack them right as they appear. The gankers who annoy me are the ones who lvl up as high as possible and troll well known dueling areas. It makes it so people only want to host, rather then use red soap or invade. If you wanna gank in forest or dark anor londo thats cool though.

I switched to my toon I host the Burg with last night after 30 mins without a single decent duel. In that time before i decided to host my rss was summoned by two horribly unskill gankers and a dragon head firebomb arse whole.
    Hosting was a little rough most players were wary at first. Invaders Attacked me even though it was clear as day as to what was going on. A few rss were just completely disrespectful.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:14 am

@isthefridge: that's too bad. I'm sorry to hear that!

Just ran into an XBox player last night, and I will gank him any chance I get.

I was hosting in the forest, and I will summon a phantom and let the phantom fight some 1 on 1s for me (building up some souls). Invader comes in; He had some magic build, I had a phantom, my phantom fought him, lost. I let him heal, bowed, we fought, and when he cast a spell I flipped behind him and BS him with my +15 Ricards Rapier. The penalty for a poorly timed spell right? Well, I got a bunch of hate mail from him, saying the Hornet's Ring is cheap (what?) if I'm going to be BSing.

10 minutes later, he is summoned in again, and ganks me. Casting spells while I'm fighting someone else. One of his spells hits my attacker as I flip out of the way, killing him. Then he immediately engages me, wins, and then taunts.

Annoying! So, is Ganking someone like this appropriate? I have a vendetta against him. It may be more satisfying to win 1 on 1, but the goal is to rile him up.

-Gank acceptible?

Last edited by IV_Mark_VI on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:20 am

I gank anyone who ganks me as well. If the last time we fought you tried to bs me as I spawned, You're going to eat a fire tempest or back stab as you walk around a corner. If you healed 6 times, I break out the divine blessings.

Refering to duels (as in I'm using the rss or hosting) obviously, in invasions its anything goes, no grudges held.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:22 am

Don't post the ID's of other players unless they give you permission. It's against the rules.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks, post edited.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 7:04 pm