Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
GkMrBane
nsane32
Azran
Tolvo
Bcc17
ViralEnsign_
10 posters

So I finally did it....! (Potential Early Game Spoilers)

ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

So I finally did it....! (Potential Early Game Spoilers) Empty So I finally did it....! (Potential Early Game Spoilers)

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:53 am

So I finally started Mass Effect 3 and boy does Bioware know how to start a game.

In the first 5 mins the Reapers invade Earth and blow the hell out of London, Washington, and most of the planet. Not only this but I get the feeling Shepard is starting to go a little bit nuts after fighting the Geth, Collectors, and now after what I can only assume is pretty bad concussion.

Even if that wasn't a good enough tutorial for anyone wanting to get into the series then and there they send you to Mars to find one of your oldest allies. To top it off you get told that Cerberus is now *** with the Alliance as well. Even more so that now these Humancentric fellows are doing wierd and whacky things to their own men which make them look like the Reaper's Husks.....

Oh and then they dramatically have one of your crewmates incapacitated by some robot thingy.....

What will happen next? (THIS IS A RHETORICAL QUESTION, IF ANYONE POSTS WORSE SPOILERS THAN THIS I WILL BE VERY UPSET!)

Also the whole game has just been tuned up perfectly IMO. Guns feel like they do damage, biotics look destructive (Warp looking like it is burning them alive in blue fire), and the menu's and graphics are amazing.

Now I know what people say about Bioware but at first glance they have done a hell of a job.
    Bcc17
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

So I finally did it....! (Potential Early Game Spoilers) Empty Re: So I finally did it....! (Potential Early Game Spoilers)

Post by Bcc17 Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:55 am

Until you have to get up every other mission to swap disks...

That is the main reason I refused to continue playing it. The first two games were fantastic, 3 is just meh.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

So I finally did it....! (Potential Early Game Spoilers) Empty Re: So I finally did it....! (Potential Early Game Spoilers)

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:20 am

WHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!?!?!?!??!?!

You dont like it?

Mass Effect is probably my favourite games franchise of all time!!!!!!!! Nothing comes close to matching it in sheer cinematic detail, decision making, and awesome shooter/RPG gaming.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:25 am

Deus Ex: HR haha.

Except those damn boss fights.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:26 am

Go away and take your crappy sci fi shooter talk with you.....lol!

But seriously Deus Ex has nothing in Mass Effect..... and yes I have played game from both series
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:27 am

It seems you and I just have reverse views, then again its very rare for me to enjoy any modern game series anyway. Though, HR was modern.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:47 am

Hm, Mass Effect is actually pretty nice. The first game was a boring slowfest, but the second and third are actually pretty decent. Main gripe is the fact that I can't change what happens in a non-imported playthrough. I'm not replaying all the series again just for every single random change.

Shame it has something to do with EA.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:49 am

I'm just never a fan of vicarious entertainment, you know how I am. Story is always the biggest thing to me, though there are series like MGS where story is taken to an extreme. I enjoy MGS, but I can't say it is wise to go so crazy with all the cutscenes.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:18 am

Tolvo wrote:I'm just never a fan of vicarious entertainment, you know how I am. Story is always the biggest thing to me, though there are series like MGS where story is taken to an extreme. I enjoy MGS, but I can't say it is wise to go so crazy with all the cutscenes.

How can you say Mass Effect is lacking is story? Its such an expansive storyline.....

Well it still has nothing on Tales of Symphoni story wise.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:27 am

It has a lot of characters, that doesn't mean it has a great story in my book.

Though yeah, I did enjoy Tales of Symphonia. It wasn't exactly original, but it was executed well and in the end that's what really matters.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:32 am

Tolvo wrote:It has a lot of characters, that doesn't mean it has a great story in my book.

Though yeah, I did enjoy Tales of Symphonia. It wasn't exactly original, but it was executed well and in the end that's what really matters.

I want you to show me a parallel to ToS and I really want to remember you for who you were tolvo before we had this coversation.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:39 am

Pretty much any adventure, it's a very typical fantasy adventure. Do I have to make parallels to LOTR? Well fine then, Secret of Mana. Which sort of makes Tales of Symphonia seem like a blatant rip off. I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to story, and I've played a lot of games over the years. Seeing something original is very rare these days, and back then.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:43 am

Throw me down a list of original games then good ser. I would like to compare our tatses.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:49 am

Well I have to mention the first video game ever, that missile throwing simulator of course haha. Wastland is another good contender. Bastion is a great one to bring up of course, then maybe I should bring up something more Indy. The Majesty of Colors. Journey is also a pretty good mention for a more recent one.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:51 am

You like vintage/ original/ classic games right?

Hmmm I like what ever captivates me and hold me for however long the narrative lasts. And ToS and ME did that for me.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:55 am

Well I like games that I enjoy, but games that tell a story in a way that isn't simple get my attention. It's one of the big draws of Dark Souls for me. Journey's really humble way, Bastion's very bizarre and real world. Majesty of Colors is a story that is really freaking weird, choice based morality game, playing as a giant sea monster. I never said Tales was a bad game, just that it wasn't original. But I still found it to be a good game. Hell, one game I've gotten the most joy out of is Just Cause 2. The story of that game is so laughably bad, but you just play it for hijacking crap and doing crazy stunts. I usually judge a game based one what it is trying to come off as. If a game tries to seem smart but isn't, then I probably won't like it.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:59 am

I didnt say that I simply want to know what you think about games and such.

However I can't ever say that there has ever been a truely unique game..... I can apply parallels from one game to almost any other..... its like films and such.

No films are unique its in how the story is coveyed and told. Thats what gives it is sense of uniqueness.

And I hardly find dark souls a unique game..... its a technically better version of DeS
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:04 am

I didn't say it was original, or that DeS was original for that matter. But with the standards of games these days, they are certainly unique compared to others. I guess story wise I prefer games for adults, games which aren't really there to get every market in, but my market. I think often people need to remember what the entertainment form is that they are enjoying, not just game.

Mass Effect is about imagining you are shepard correct? It is about meeting people and interacting with a larger world, it's about choices and having effects for what you do. It's about travelling and learning a bit about the different cultures. It's essentially Star Wars, but with more of a Star Trek mentality to it. So if you want to get someone to enjoy it state it as such, its a game with interesting characters that you grow attached to and wish to see their lives unfold and have a part in it. Story wise, you are Commander Shepard, the first human specter that is super special and great at everything. Everyone seems to love you and the fate of the galaxy is in your hands. Don't try to sell it on story, sell it on the characters you meet. Otherwise people will judge it as such and not enjoy it. I probably could have enjoyed Mass Effect if I was looking for characters rather than an enthralling story. You need to realize what the appeal is.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:09 am

Tolvo wrote:I didn't say it was original, or that DeS was original for that matter. But with the standards of games these days, they are certainly unique compared to others. I guess story wise I prefer games for adults, games which aren't really there to get every market in, but my market. I think often people need to remember what the entertainment form is that they are enjoying, not just game.

Mass Effect is about imagining you are shepard correct? It is about meeting people and interacting with a larger world, it's about choices and having effects for what you do. It's about travelling and learning a bit about the different cultures. It's essentially Star Wars, but with more of a Star Trek mentality to it. So if you want to get someone to enjoy it state it as such, its a game with interesting characters that you grow attached to and wish to see their lives unfold and have a part in it. Story wise, you are Commander Shepard, the first human specter that is super special and great at everything. Everyone seems to love you and the fate of the galaxy is in your hands. Don't try to sell it on story, sell it on the characters you meet. Otherwise people will judge it as such and not enjoy it. I probably could have enjoyed Mass Effect if I was looking for characters rather than an enthralling story. You need to realize what the appeal is.

I genuinely cant agree with than. I think saying that it is like star wars and star trek is not only selling Mass Effect short but also the ST and SW.

Not only were Mass Effects characters well rounded but also technically strong. They would stand up to any games characters, even shepard.

And the story line was also strong in terms of direction, believability (within the context of the game), and well told.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:13 am

You understand it was heavily based off Star Wars right? Bioware was essentially making Kotor 3, but turned it into a shooter and removed the Star Wars license. And there are many Star Wars characters that are well rounded outside of glaringly bad ones. *Cough* Starkiller *Cough* Viral, I just don't think you are trying to look at it objectively. There are extreme similarities, and Shepard is by definition a Mary Sue. But so are most game protagonists. One of my favorite games of all time, Kotor, has the main character being
    Spoiler:
    . He's basically Shepard, but just a Sith/Jedi. But what is he? Super powerful Jedi, brilliant mind, loved by everyone, hell there are basically schools of philosophy based around his teachings. They're essentially the same games, just one is a shooter.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:17 am

As I would say that you are being far too objective and overly critcal of a game drawing parallels out of whatever you can. Which is essentially what can be done for every game.

Oh and ragging on tales of Symphonia was over the line dude.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:20 am

I can tell you no longer wish to try and talk about this Viral, I'll leave you be.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:22 am

No I do but I dont understand what your point is?
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:04 pm

[quote]Not only were Mass Effects characters well rounded but also technically strong. They would stand up to any games characters, even shepard.[quote]

Sorry, but Ashley/Kaidan are some of the most boring characters ever encountered in a "DIALOGUE/STORYLINE IS IMPORTANT!" videogame.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:31 pm

[quote="Azran"][quote]Not only were Mass Effects characters well rounded but also technically strong. They would stand up to any games characters, even shepard.

Sorry, but Ashley/Kaidan are some of the most boring characters ever encountered in a "DIALOGUE/STORYLINE IS IMPORTANT!" videogame.

You didnt like Ashley 'daddy issues' Williamson?

Im just struggling to figure out what people see as being game breaking or technically bad about the ME games.

So far its lack of originallity.......

And two of the characters being boring.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:14 pm