Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
TehInfamousAmos
IV_Mark_VI
callipygias
DarkW17
befowler
WyrmHero
ViralEnsign_
Bamjam
goober0331
Rifter7
DamageCK
Ghadis_God
ErrJon6661
Glutebrah
RANT
Jansports
Forum Pirate
reim0027
22 posters

PvP burning you out? Try this (worked for me)

reim0027
    reim0027

PvP burning you out?  Try this (worked for me) - Page 2 Empty Re: PvP burning you out? Try this (worked for me)

Post by reim0027 Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:03 am

Invasions involve trying to kill questers. Duels involve fighting people who want to fight. So, like red soapstone, GL, Dragon fights. Or people waiting in accepted PvP areas (Burg, Kiln, PW, etc).
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

PvP burning you out?  Try this (worked for me) - Page 2 Empty Re: PvP burning you out? Try this (worked for me)

Post by DamageCK Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:04 am

I also bow. No idea why. Haha.

But when I "duel" I rarely BS (out of preference, not because "it's a duel") , I don't spam casts, I don't heal, etc. In an invasion, I'm doing whatever the hell I want.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:06 am

I always bow during an invasion if it's 1v1, just a little heads up to show the guy I won't be doing anything too unfair to him if he's willing to play fair as well.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:07 am

I making a pure invasion build cosplaying as those guys from DeS who used the Dragon Bone Smasher...

Hollow Thiefs and the Demon Great Machete!
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:07 am

DamageCK wrote:I also bow. No idea why. Haha.

But when I "duel" I rarely BS (out of preference, not because "it's a duel") , I don't spam casts, I don't heal, etc. In an invasion, I'm doing whatever the hell I want.

ah see i just fight the same ways no matter what unless my enemy heals

reim0027 wrote:Invasions involve trying to kill questers. Duels involve fighting people who want to fight. So, like red soapstone, GL, Dragon fights. Or people waiting in accepted PvP areas (Burg, Kiln, PW, etc).

i get that i just mean, once i see the quester and i bow and he bows back or shows he is ready to fight, in my eyes it became a duel before he acknowledged that i am there and is ready.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:11 am

For me, the way I "want" to fight is honorably, so "doing whatever the hell I want" means "having a fair fight". It's not like I would be a jerk if I could, I genuinely agree with most of the rules that constitute "dueling".
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:15 am

Ghadis_God wrote:For me, the way I "want" to fight is honorably, so "doing whatever the hell I want" means "having a fair fight". It's not like I would be a jerk if I could, I genuinely agree with most of the rules that constitute "dueling".

+1 when i first started my DS pvp experience i used to be that guy that that had on Giants/MoM/BKGA and as soon as my life was low it was pivot BS time. i am not proud of that, and thus i refuse to ever play anything remotely like that again.... unless its 3v1 and healing like crazy
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:32 am

I don't think there would be any concept of honor and dueling in this game if From hadn't put the bow gesture in DeS. It would be like any other online game where Min/Maxing and using the highest tier stuff and the cheapest tactics was the norm, and people would just play it like CoD where everyone would have the same loadout and only care about K/D ratios. That's why I love this game- a good fight is better than a cheap win anyday.
    Today I had an edge-of-your-seat duel with another Straight Sword user in the burg. He was really good and we were both down on the tiniest bit of health, I missed an attack and he gave me a perfect counter with the BSS that landed just as my hitbox was over, I lost but didn't care a bit because it was such a great fight. I've even gotten messages like "nice parry" from people who've lost to me; that one just gives me a great feeling, someone actually went out of their way to compliment my win when they could have just as easily done nothing.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:04 am

IMO, an invasion is an invasion. Even if they bow. That's the whole point of invading. To get away from a certain mindset. Give it variation. That being said, I do adjust my strategy for 1 vs 1 invasion and 3 vs 1 invasion.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:30 am

damage people aren't going to summon batman as much as theyre going to summon that guy in giants and a moms mask... or something that looks like a caster or tank.

they either want someone who can kill invaders for them, can kill the boss very fast or can take a few hits while they kill the boss.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:33 am

Doing whatever the hell you want doesn't necessarily mean "play like a jerkoff". To me it means I don't stop to consider whether or not the other guy thinks me using GC more than twice in a fight is "dirty", or if he's going to unequip all his gear and Look Skyward because I BSed him one time, or any other bullsh*t opposition to the way I choose to play. It's the one time I don't feel compelled to adhere (to some degree) to some other player's arbitrary standard of gameplay. In a duel I might adjust the way I play because it's an arranged fight, I'm sympathetic to their frustration, and in general I don't feel any less capable when someone prefers to play without BS or whatever their preference is.

Invasions aren't duels. I'm sure they'd prefer that I BCed out, or better yet, stood there while they killed me, but that's not really the nature of invasions. Just like I don't get pissy when players heal when I invade. I wouldn't expect any less from them. Make the distinction, guys. Not every fight in this game is a duel. And I'm glad. Duelling gets boring. I enjoy being able to do things you can't really get away with in duels because you're not afforded the same opportunities. What good is a stealth build if I'm apparently obligated to announce my presence, bow, make sure the other guy is ready to fight (he probably isn't, and doesn't want to), and on top of that, make an effort to play in a way that he MAYBE thinks is honorable? What the f*ck are invasions for if not ignoring that and playing the way that I want to play? I'm certainly not looking for duels in the Catacombs, and the people I invade there aren't either. He's going to do what it takes to survive and I'm going to do what it takez to kill him. Period. People need to drop this bullsh*t notion that PvP can only be measured in two ways: either you're honorable, or you're a douchebag. They're both subjective, an either/or analysis is irrational, and no one is obligated to do ANYTHING in this game.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:36 am

now damage.. u need to bow before you fight those 3 gankers.

my goodness, where's your manners!
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:39 am

Rifter7 wrote:damage people aren't going to summon batman as much as theyre going to summon that guy in giants and a moms mask... or something that looks like a caster or tank.

they either want someone who can kill invaders for them, can kill the boss very fast or can take a few hits while they kill the boss.

I feel like if they knew I was the bat, they probably would. Gotta make a new PSN. IAmTheBat. Or for spanish players, IAmBatmanuel.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:39 am

heh.. batmanuelo.

my current guy kind of looks like kung lao.. i should rip ure idea off and make a kung lao guy with the big hat, brigand armor and pants.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:54 am

I'm playing that setup right now coincidentally. Haha. Never really card for the Brigand gear until I used it with the Big Hat and Iron Bracelets. It looks manly.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:55 am

it actually has legit stats. wanderer is a little bit better, but still.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:59 am

Rifter7 wrote:now damage.. u need to bow before you fight those 3 gankers.

my goodness, where's your manners!

Hahaha. "Hey, guys. I'm over here. Is it cool if we fight now? What's honorable? Is it cool if I BS, provided I can escape your chain? Hang on a sec, I'm going to message you some of my general guidelines. Whoops. Nevermind. I'm dead now. GG's, everyone!"
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:03 am

Rifter7 wrote:it actually has legit stats. wanderer is a little bit better, but still.

Shaving that little bit of weight goes a long way also. You gotta be kind of picky about helms with it cause it's basically a tank top, so if your helm isn't ballin' the look is kind of bland.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:16 am

And, that's the point. Branch out and do something new. Invading isn't a duel with randoms. There is more freedom, less rules. Tear yourself away from the mindset of dueling. That's the point of trying something new, right?

At first, I didn't like invading. But, now I do.

Most of my invades are not just new players still trying to figure out how this 2H R2 thingy works with the Drake Sword. Most of my invades are 2 or 3 vs me. It is different every time. This isn't a "pro" pwning a "noob". With my 55, I've fought people from 52 - 500+ (multiples at once).

You might feel bad about killing a quester and "ruining" his experience. Well, if his game were all sunshine, rainbows, and kittens, I'd say his game experience was ruined. He's supposed to be walking around in fear of being invaded (hearing that "oh sh** sound when an invader spawns), feeling the joy of seeing a summon sign for backup. Or, best yet, the heart pounding feeling of killing your first invader. Can you think of something better in this game?
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:21 am

Yup. That's the idea.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:39 am

I love invading questers, that's what LH is all about. Kill questers that are trapped in the Painted World. twisted
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 pm

RantFromRant wrote:one of the reason i like coop'ing so much is because of the invasions invaders give you a good fight for the most part, invadees on the other hand tend to not be as good, and when you coop for some reason the host gets invaded A LOT, about two secs after you kill an invader another invades, it keeps things interisting and a lot more fun.

I coop almost exclusively and it is a blast. No one is sure, but there is speculation that the more coop summons a host has, the greater a "threat" they are considered and the more likely they are to get invaded over folks with less or no summons. You can test this yourself if you do a human run in Way of White. I'd go 20-40 minutes between invasions when solo, but as soon as I summoned a few other people we would get invaded. It is certainly not uncommon to get 4-6 invasions while trying to get through Anor Londo, for example. My record on a coop run is 8, including a couple of people more than once.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:13 pm

I do play by different rules when I invade, Damage, and I don't think there's only being honorable or being a douchebag. I just find it more fun to play fair, not by strict gudelines, but just in a very general sense. I'm not judging anyone else for what they do in invasions, but kill or be killed just personally seems like a bit of an overkill mentality if I'm not facing a team of gankers.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:23 pm

I give hosts the respect they give me which 90% of the time is a big 0....if they bow we fight fair bottom line...hell even if there's 3 of them and they all bow ill be more fair....I may even take my hornets ring off...wait who am I kidding no I won't I am a evil DW they all die lol!

Thing is I am not really there to be nice and I don't feel bad killing any quester period...that doesn't mean I have to OHKO every quester I see with my rapier...lately I have been using RTSR and my Barbed sword and having a blast!

I was in Anor londo on the weekend and I got 35 Indicts in a few hours...so what I like to firestorm people and kick them off ledges...I can't help it really its so much fun cheers
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:09 pm

DarkW17 wrote:I was in Anor londo on the weekend and I got 35 Indicts in a few hours...so what I like to firestorm people and kick them off ledges...I can't help it really its so much fun cheers
    Doubtless you make full use of the 'point down' and 'well, what is it' gesture, too. I don't quite understand this mindset, but I think Fromsoft does.

I don't necessarily think Fromsoft is misanthropic, but there is a reason rats drop humanity. I think one of their goals with the Souls games is to allow people to realize their personality and excel, whether it's with a proper bow after helping someone in co-op, or a demeaning gesture after Firestorming a noob from behind the titanite Demon's skirts in Anor Londo. The game gives you an opportunity to discover what type of person you are, in a sense. It's interesting to see who falls where.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am