Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
Serious_Much
nhbdy
Danthuyer
strangejoy
Maneater_Mildred
Kyubi-Nick
berkut
ublug
Whknight
User
nsane32
meridam99
LordRevan
JohnnyHarpoon
18 posters

Old Videogames You Don't Know About

strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Old Videogames You Don't Know About - Page 2 Empty Re: Old Videogames You Don't Know About

Post by strangejoy Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Whknight wrote:I still own, and still play the PS1 FFT. I got a little bit of hands on with the PSP FFT but didn't really like the changes.

In that case, if you haven't tried Tactics Ogre, you really should. It's not quite as polished, but it's more open ended and the story seems slightly better to me,
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Old Videogames You Don't Know About - Page 2 Empty Re: Old Videogames You Don't Know About

Post by Whknight Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:13 pm

I have heard many good things but I doubt I will ever get to play it, just not a fan of Sony machines anymore.
    nhbdy
    nhbdy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by nhbdy Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:20 pm

I for one found FFT a tad more enjoyable, had trouble getting into the Tactics Ogre game
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:41 pm

Not really that old but hogs of war was good.

and yes iv played FFT, only the PSP remake though...
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:45 pm

I still remember alot of FFT. Anytime I did a playthrough by the end of the game I had every special character, all spells, every piece of equipment, and at least Ramza had every class mastered and at level 8 while everyone else had at least their own and a sub class leveled.

I remember Cid being stupidly powerful, easily my most favorite Cid of all the games. Once you obtained him he could win the game for you alone, until you got to the final boss and got petrified. I still remember my first victory was because I had Cloud and he had a ribbion on his head.... oh the irony.
    nhbdy
    nhbdy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by nhbdy Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Whknight wrote:I still remember alot of FFT. Anytime I did a playthrough by the end of the game I had every special character, all spells, every piece of equipment, and at least Ramza had every class mastered and at level 8 while everyone else had at least their own and a sub class leveled.

I remember Cid being stupidly powerful, easily my most favorite Cid of all the games. Once you obtained him he could win the game for you alone, until you got to the final boss and got petrified. I still remember my first victory was because I had Cloud and he had a ribbion on his head.... oh the irony.

agrias thief+wield sword+holy explosion+ribbon+chantage=win... yeah women's apparel was OPed
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Ribbon was fairly overpowered, but they were super rare if I remember. I did use a gameshark a few playthroughs to screw around but I'm pretty sure you could only get somewhere around 1-3. I can't tell you how hilarious it was to have Cid with a ribbon subjobing WHM and watch him destroy the battlefield.

My only regret is that Ultima wasn't any stronger, but holy crap Zodiarc or Zodiac?... I can't recall what they named it on the PS1... that spell was a winner. Actually killed the end boss with it from Ramza.

Oh I also remember the speed glitch you could do. Is this hinting that I spent a combined playtime ranging in the years yet?
    nhbdy
    nhbdy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by nhbdy Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Whknight wrote:Ribbon was fairly overpowered, but they were super rare if I remember. I did use a gameshark a few playthroughs to screw around but I'm pretty sure you could only get somewhere around 1-3. I can't tell you how hilarious it was to have Cid with a ribbon subjobing WHM and watch him destroy the battlefield.

My only regret is that Ultima wasn't any stronger, but holy crap Zodiarc or Zodiac?... I can't recall what they named it on the PS1... that spell was a winner. Actually killed the end boss with it from Ramza.

Oh I also remember the speed glitch you could do. Is this hinting that I spent a combined playtime ranging in the years yet?

heh I'm right there with ya, and ribbon wasn't quite as obnoxious as the chantage perfume, the one that gives perma regen and reraise? it's blatant immortality for one equip slot, so the only way for that unit to die is from status effects... but yeah I spent a ton of time on that game too, I loved the customization of each unit, the details and team possibilities were amazing, and the story is easily my favorite of any FF game.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Didn't Dragoon have some form of reraise that was like that or am I thinking of FFTA?

The story was phenomenal, easily one of Squaresofts best works. I wish those days would come back...
    nhbdy
    nhbdy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by nhbdy Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Whknight wrote:Didn't Dragoon have some form of reraise that was like that or am I thinking of FFTA?

it's FFT but it had a catch, it was a reaction ability that happened after an attack on you... meaning you had to survive the hit, after one raise you are likely on your knees ready to die again, so it was a fair bit weaker than the equipment described above.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:19 pm

1st jrpg i played though so i'm biased, it could suck but i love it. its the legend of legia incase i fail at posting the imageOld Videogames You Don't Know About - Page 2 600full-legend-of-legaia-cover
    fixed i think
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Pretty well known but still awesome, Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
    Domhnall
    Domhnall
    Regular
    Regular

Location : Crosslegged in the Sewers, Occasionally Under a Bridge

Post by Domhnall Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm a big fan of old-school cRPGs, any kind really, action, turn based, all kinds. Here's a few must haves from my collection:

Arcanum
    Fallout 1&2
    Dungeon Keeper 1&2
    Planescape: Torment
    Daggerfall
    Ultima Underworld 1&2
    Ultima 4, 6, 7
    Pool of Radiance
    Might and Magic, any
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R Series, there's 3 or 4
    Sacrifice

Populous
    Black & White
    Rome: Total War
    Stronghold 1&2

Some of these may recquire DOSbox happy. If you like old school cRPGs or strategy games, I recommend you check some of these out. Especially Ultima if you haven't played them. All of these are for PC, btw.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:04 am

Two games I'd nominate, both on Playstation. Shadowman which is easily the weirdest game I've played, a mixture of voodoo,strange places, the Asylum, Temple of Blood, tattoos, you name it, the game had it. The other is 'Exhumed', a cracking first person shooter, set in ancient Egypt with a great level design and game engine and it's the only game I've played where you had to get on a camel to go to the next level. It was also the first game where I came face to face with a boss that scared me witless. In an area called 'Set Arena'. You dropped down into this place and you couldn't get back out, there were two doors, one on either side, one wouldn't open but when you opened the other one, this demon thing came roaring out. It was truly terrifying because it could jump really high and throw demon skulls at you which killed you pretty quick. It was hard to kill too. It could still give me nightmares.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:51 am

Old Videogames You Don't Know About - Page 2 256px-Legend_of_Dragoon

Old Videogames You Don't Know About - Page 2 Hogs-of-war
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:09 am

Old Videogames You Don't Know About - Page 2 Breath%2Bof%2BFire%2BIII%2B-%2BPSP

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:34 am