Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+149
Ahhotep1
SlothAlmighty
skarekrow13
Shakie666
Phenetylaminos
HereticForLife
Wilkinson3424
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
diddle
Fayt
GravelordZealot
SATLOS
Mireneye
PhlyingDutchman
jaythibodeau
ChizFreak
Emergence
Sentiel
steveswede
Serafiem
SadPanda
Thuggernaut
StiffNipples
FreeSergey
GenericUsername
DxV04
phastings
DyingAce
chaos4ever181
Buttcheekofdeth
Halicarnassis
vixder/pennywise
bloodpixel
Dessembrae
MrDynogames
morte
Dibsville
ser-john
vegan666
User1
xtal84
garrettegge
Jester's Tears
Z3nMast3r
Rayko
ollebsson
jimmyc0341
Ashran
dragonbeast6
RedderAI
The Once-Ler
Gyonimizotetsu
Slarg232
Acarnatia
Oh_the_Humanity
Shkar
Derpwraith
amaro57
ublug
MrMan
Agent Talon
CaptanSpudsy
Forum Pirate
Sargerus
dormancy
reim0027
ExecutionerTri
MasterofShadows
ComaPrison
ak1287
X-government-agent
bosslugger
Strigoi
Mr. Tart
Sloth9230
GkMrBane
Infighter
dancash1808
ViralEnsign_
Yukon
Qawdz
chuck woolery
Soulbreak
MagisterM
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
BartholomewWenceslas
Aevun
>Brave<
Macromute
defacto
Tomhet
Phoenix Rising
Kerberos-013
CaligoIllioneus
sciicers
Back Lot Basher
Seignar
FexDS
carlucio
BIG TIME MASTER
FruitPunchNinja
Zechk
DE5PA1R
callipygias
Forcefed
PlasticandRage
RANT
Rainraey
dianaduh
Frostacar
F3N.R1R
TehInfamousAmos
Onion Knight
Ser Isaac
Major_kenny
Nightmare Moon
Juutas
raecor14
passivefamiliar
Marino.
Ghiblier
bart95
The Letter X
Serious_Much
iGBx
Sal Paradise
Bamjam
new deal
The_Hallion
Dogwelder
Tolvo
Spurgun
hageshisa
mugenis4real
XachAttack
Rarayn
Everynevers
eminusx
LordSolaire
Derpin_Errday
jankenneth_10
Espada Muerta
Argetlam350
Noob-of-Artorias
cloudyeki
Icegodzilla
DoughGuy
Shindori
Anonymous Proxy
153 posters

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

HereticForLife
    HereticForLife
    Casual
    Casual

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014 - Page 28 Empty Re: DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

Post by HereticForLife Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Am I the only one who wishes at least one of these people streaming gameplay would just jump down from that beginning area (at the bottom of the initial ladder) and try a plunging attack on one of those lizard-type enemies? We haven't seen a single plunging attack yet to my knowledge, nor have we seen any footage of the lizards besides that one 12-minute gameplay video from awhile back.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014 - Page 28 Empty Re: DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

Post by phastings Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:36 pm

HereticForLife wrote:Am I the only one who wishes at least one of these people streaming gameplay would just jump down from that beginning area (at the bottom of the initial ladder) and try a plunging attack on one of those lizard-type enemies? We haven't seen a single plunging attack yet to my knowledge, nor have we seen any footage of the lizards besides that one 12-minute gameplay video from awhile back.
    I never thought of that.. damnit, now i want to see it. Ive seen someone fall to their death by those fire lizards, but no plunge attack.. that should be the first order of beta-business
    HereticForLife
    HereticForLife
    Casual
    Casual

Post by HereticForLife Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Someone's actually been killed by those? Ooh, I have to look for that now, I'm curious to see how they work. Alas, I won't get to try it out myself since FROM doesn't love their 360 fans quite so much.

Oh well, I'll just have to make up for it by killing those lizards so hard in March.

Edit: Nevermind, from an E3 demo review, "I tried jumping down to the fire lizards but it was an auto-death." Hopefully it will change for you beta-goers if you guys have access to this same area. Actually, hopefully it won't. I want you to feel my pain

Bad day
    Derpwraith
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Derpwraith Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Temple Knight: Coolest looking starting equipment?
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:35 am

Derpwraith wrote:Temple Knight: Coolest looking starting equipment?
    umm, easily the coolest. I may just have to roll my first faith build
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:46 am

HereticForLife wrote:Someone's actually been killed by those? Ooh, I have to look for that now, I'm curious to see how they work. Alas, I won't get to try it out myself since FROM doesn't love their 360 fans quite so much.

Oh well, I'll just have to make up for it by killing those lizards so hard in March.

Edit: Nevermind, from an E3 demo review, "I tried jumping down to the fire lizards but it was an auto-death." Hopefully it will change for you beta-goers if you guys have access to this same area. Actually, hopefully it won't. I want you to feel my pain

Bad day
    nah he just died from the fall, but its the closest anyone has got to those lizards i guess lol. I hope they put up a good fight and drop some good loot
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:12 am

Just remember: these new "starting classes" may not necessarily be the starting classes in the final game (remember the Dark Souls demo where you could start with Solaire and Black Knight?)
    Phenetylaminos
    Phenetylaminos

Post by Phenetylaminos Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:15 am

thnx for the wallpapers I love 'em! Could you please send me a link to the logo you made? I want to make it transparent big grin
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:55 am

There is apparently going to be a way to avoid getting invaded without having to resort to going offline. Personally, I think that is beyond lame. phbbbbt 

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dar%C2%ADk-souls-ii/67311538
    morte
    morte
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by morte Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:41 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:There is apparently going to be a way to avoid getting invaded without having to resort to going offline. Personally, I think that is beyond lame. phbbbbt 

I disagree. Suppose there is a newcomer to the series who doesn't want not get kicked around by a low-level, but skilled player or a series of gankers.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:06 pm

Servers are worldwide? YES! Thank you From for letting us EU players join in!

(In case you don't know what I mean, the DeS online community was basically dead in the EU before its recent revival).

I'm not happy about str being screwed over compared to dex (well, even more than it is already). However, in 1 of the screenshots in the OP, you can just about see a red phantom in the top-right hand corner of the screen using a greataxe... that'll definitely be my weapon of choice for the first playthrough.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:37 pm

morte wrote: Suppose there is a newcomer to the series who doesn't want not get kicked around by a low-level, but skilled player or a series of gankers.
    I'll tell you what people have told me for years anytime I've complained about having to fight an infinite health hacker or getting lag-stabbed. Dark Souls isn't meant to be fair.

Git gud.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:42 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:
    morte wrote: Suppose there is a newcomer to the series who doesn't want not get kicked around by a low-level, but skilled player or a series of gankers.
    I'll tell you what people have told me for years anytime I've complained about having to fight an infinite health hacker or getting lag-stabbed. Dark Souls isn't meant to be fair.

Git gud.
    Yes, but it's not like this is unprecedented.  DeS had the Banish miracle.  While I agree with you that DkS isn't meant to be fair, I don't think there's anything wrong with options for this being presented.  After all, you have to admit, DkS had a huge one: staying hollow.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 pm

I actually think it's a benefit to have a "no invasion" option; but here me out.

Regardless of what From puts into the game for options there already will be a "no invasion mode" as anyone can play offline. So there's two options that I see.

1. Take the mentality of "if you're online you're getting invaded."
    or
    2. Enable an invasion free method

Now option 1 actually seems the best on the surface. Invasions are part of the intended game and I also think everyone should have that anxiety. To make it perpetual is also intriguing. You don't wanna be invaded? Tough! Every step of the play through will have that tension. I love it. However, the consequence is that people who don't agree with my assessment will just pull the cord and have offline anyway.

So let's go to option 2. Have a way to limit or disallow invasions. Yes, some players will opt out of the full experience. BUT...

By having this option, the players who would have just played offline will be able to remain connected to the internet still which means...

They will still see messages. If the white ghosts of players "near" your world return, they will still see that. Bloodstains will still be present in their world. Jolly "cooperative online play" (see my Return to Boletaria story for why I call it that) will still be an option. So option 1 means that the cord pullers lose ALL the online experience. By having an option 2...

The cord pullers will still be able to have some online play which I imagine will be a gateway drug. Leading to ever increasing levels of online interaction to get their "fix."
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Git gud.
    exactly.. I feel like if they cave and meet the demands of all the concerns expressed by "fans" they will inevitably chip away at the unforgiving, tense, and oppressive nature of the series, which is the very foundation of Souls..

If there exists an option in-game to turn off invasions, then there is absolutely no more fear, stress or the detriment of carelessness looming over your head (from a pvp standpoint) when traversing the hostile environments and carrying a lot of souls, perhaps not in the possession of these human effigies to revive yourself should you die. 

: "I don't feel like being invaded first playthru when everything is mysterious and scary, so im going to equip this ring.. (later on).. ok not really worried about invasions anymore since my character is lvl 100 and i have maxed gear.. Ill just camp here and will be ready for them. Um, ok I feel like something was missing from that first playthru..."

Now, if it is a usable item, limited like stone of ephemeral eyes was in DeS, (i know, giant depraved red phantoms dropped this in 5-2) then I could see it being a system that would not destroy the hunter element of being an invader, or prey for the invaded.

I just don't want to have the option to turn it off, because if it is there and I CAN, I will bc im a human being and easiest option always prevails; instincts.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:29 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:I actually think it's a benefit to have a "no invasion" option; but here me out.

Regardless of what From puts into the game for options there already will be a "no invasion mode" as anyone can play offline.  So there's two options that I see.

1. Take the mentality of "if you're online you're getting invaded."
    or
    2. Enable an invasion free method

Now option 1 actually seems the best on the surface.  Invasions are part of the intended game and I also think everyone should have that anxiety.  To make it perpetual is also intriguing.  You don't wanna be invaded?  Tough!  Every step of the play through will have that tension.  I love it.  However, the consequence is that people who don't agree with my assessment will just pull the cord and have offline anyway.  

So let's go to option 2.  Have a way to limit or disallow invasions.  Yes, some players will opt out of the full experience.  BUT...

By having this option, the players who would have just played offline will be able to remain connected to the internet still which means...

They will still see messages.  If the white ghosts of players "near" your world return, they will still see that.  Bloodstains will still be present in their world.  Jolly "cooperative online play" (see my Return to Boletaria story for why I call it that) will still be an option.  So option 1 means that the cord pullers lose ALL the online experience.  By having an option 2...

The cord pullers will still be able to have some online play which I imagine will be a gateway drug.  Leading to ever increasing levels of online interaction to get their "fix."
    Ok, i really should have read this before quoting that last one.. Sound reasoning, 1up. I never thought of it that way. Though there has to be some negative effect when opting out of invasions, Like all summon signs disappear.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 pm

I don't think that's going to happen, Skare .
    From prides themselfes for their unique Multiplayer so you won't be able to disable it like that .

What i can see happening though is that when you're the lowest form of Hollow (50/40% HP?) you won't be invaded but can still Co-op .

I can also see how this could fit the Lore even .
    The Invader would think : "Why Invade someone that has nothing left ? "
    And the Helper would think : "I definately have to help this Hollow that has nothing left"
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Marino. wrote:I don't think that's going to happen, Skare .
    From prides themselfes for their unique Multiplayer so you won't be able to disable it like that .

What i can see happening though is that when you're the lowest form of Hollow (50/40% HP?) you won't be invaded but can still Co-op .

I can also see how this could fit the Lore even .
    The Invader would think : "Why Invade someone that has nothing left ? "
    And the Helper would think : "I definately have to help this Hollow that has nothing left"
    I would accept something like that, but sadly that does not sound like the changes they are proposing.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Lol sorry. I didn't mean to say they'd have an off switch exactly but some kind of mechanic. Your idea is good Marino.
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:30 pm

how about something like the 'ring of sacrifice'  except that if you wear it you wont get invaded, but if you die via enemy it disappears.  

so you could use it say if you are deep in a level and just trying to make it to a bonfire and don't want to get invaded on the way, but if you mess up and die you lose that option.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:36 pm

That's a very smart idea, Sloth.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:09 am

Git gud.
    No.
    Dark Souls actually is meant to be fair.
    Not once in the entire game (maybe except for Seath?) will you run into an unfair situation. You may get killed hundreds of times, but that just means you're doing something wrong. You can always overcome whatever the game puts before you.

Lag aside, there's no way you can kill someone with infinite HP. Yes, you can kick them off a ledge, or use the gravity in some other way to dispose of them, but that's not always an option, not to mention that you're likely to get killed before you can do that anyway, thanks to their infinite castings and infinite stamina. It has nothing to do with the game itself, because these people use third party software to get their modded stats. So don't blame it on Dark Souls, the game has nothing to do with the lowlifes that use cheating.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm too lazy to read back through the posts...has it ever been stated that in addition to being invaded while hollow, you can also summon help when hollow?
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:24 am

Back Lot Basher wrote:I'm too lazy to read back through the posts...has it ever been stated that in addition to being invaded while hollow, you can also summon help when hollow?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? posted this link:

it actually is a translation by a gamefaqs forum member from Japanese gaming media consisting of interviews with Tanimura. There is a lot of info, but I dont think anything that addresses summoning while hollow.

It DOES state that to invade, one must be in human form, as it currently is in DkS, which begs the question whether they will deny hollows the ability to summon.
    CaligoIllioneus
    CaligoIllioneus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CaligoIllioneus Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:24 am

Sentiel wrote:Thanks for the info. Those new screenshots look much better than the trailers.
    Enemies look kinda dull and boring, but the avatar is looking extremely nice. It's nice to see good old Dark Souls gear with improved graphics and visible cloth physics.

About the gameplay vid. Again, much better than any trailer so far.

I liked how the character moved this time around.
    Backstab seems to do about twice as much damage if done to an unsuspecting enemy. Maybe we can now actually use stealth.
    Shame the player chainstabbed one of the mobs. I hoped backstabs won't be as dominant in PvE this time around. We'll see...
    The shield looked very fragile. Maybe it's made out of glass, or something. Definitely fitting the sorceror image.
    Very nice gear on that character as well.
    Mob ranged attacks seem to lack their homing capabilities, but instead mobs try to predict your movement direction and aim in front of you. Nice.
    Mobs, just like players in DkS don't receive damage over their max HP anymore. This is a nice little detail which is sure to help people who gather data, such as enemy HP and increases in their HP on different NG cycles.
    The chainstabbing seems to be that easy because the mobs have no recovery animation and do not turn to face you after they have been backstabbed. This is easier to see in the second gameplay video.  This needs to be changed, I hope it's something that will be altered in the future.

--

The shield looks inspired by the Rune Shield that Ostrava uses in Demon's Souls. I love its designs. Some of the hollow enemies (the ones past the underground area) also seem really similar to the Boletaria soldiers, which is a nice callback.

Another thing from those gameplay videos I did not see mentioned is how the Temple Knight in one moment switches to a miracle that looks very similar to dark bead, at least going by the its icon. I'm really excited about those, they must be occult miracles.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:53 am