Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
reim0027
Soris Ice Goldwing
User1
Emergence
Sneezer
Elifia
Jansports
densetsushun
Virulas
KrazykevS10
XachAttack
Rynn
The Letter X
TehInfamousAmos
nsane32
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Animaaal
Serious_Much
Automancer
Tolvo
steveswede
Saturday-Saint
26 posters

Japanese people telling it how it is.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Japanese people telling it how it is. - Page 5 Empty Re: Japanese people telling it how it is.

Post by Animaaal Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 pm

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary.
    It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body.
    It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things...like spears.
    Winston Churchill

Lagswitch for the win! cheers
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Japanese people telling it how it is. - Page 5 Empty Re: Japanese people telling it how it is.

Post by crbngville2 Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:32 am

+1 to Saint for starting this conversation.

I got sick of the word noobstick in Demon's Souls. I am way past sick of people calling any weapon/tactic/strategy in Dark Souls cheap or using it as an excuse to cover their losses.

Now, I am not the best at PVP and have never claimed to be so. But I never complain about my losses either, though I will complain about lag (when someone is teleporting around the area). The idea that certain moves, i.e backstabs, should be eliminated because of lag though is silly. Blame P2P if you want, not the move itself. If we try to legislate lag out of the game, let's just bow to eachother and jump of a ledge together.

Is winning everything? I know that I don't like to lose, even though it happens regularly. Further, I know that I lose most of the time because of my playstyle. The Red Nosed Pitbull isn't just my avatar, she embodies my DeS/DkS fighting spirit (and is my lapdog as well, lol). Meaning win, lose or draw I am coming after you, and will give you everything I've got till the fight is over.

I wish people would stop complaining about ganking in the Forest. Since the start of this game the meta has held the Forest as a place of all out warfare. No rules, courtesies or apologies. If you want a duel, why are you even in the Forest? Six years of travelling the world playing U.S. Marine taught me that there is no honor on the battlefield, only dead people and survivors. Would I do anything to save a buddy in battle? Yes. Will I use an estus flask to save a friend in the Forest? Your damn right I will. For those who don't understand this mentality, you probably shouldn't be playing in the Forest.

Do I know everything about video games? No. The PS3 is my first system ever, and Demon's Souls was my first Platinum Trophy ever. What I do know is that winning is the only gauge in PVP to determine whether or not you are getting better at DeS/DkS. Complaining and making excuses for you loses only holds you back. Making a bunch of rules to ban weapons/items/tactics/strategies that you lose against, instead of learning the proper counter/build/tactic/stategy to win doesn't make you better either.

I am not here to judge how someone gets enjoyment from a game. But if you don't play PVP with an eye toward getting better at it, just don't complain about people who do.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:32 am

Well said, crb. Trying to change the meta in the forest to an "honorable" one is just as bad as trying to change the undead burg into a gank fest (which is happening unfortunately). Both are metas that were established and people purposely went there to experience.

I've fought crb and he is better than he lets on. But, he is fun to fight. He teaches me to be careful with my moves and to pay the **** attention to what he is doing.
    Virulas
    Virulas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Virulas Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:37 am

Id love to fight someone like crb. It would be a fun fight, id probally lose quite horribly, but id still have some fun with it
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 am

reim0027 wrote:Well said, crb. Trying to change the meta in the forest to an "honorable" one is just as bad as trying to change the undead burg into a gank fest (which is happening unfortunately). Both are metas that were established and people purposely went there to experience.

I've fought crb and he is better than he lets on. But, he is fun to fight. He teaches me to be careful with my moves and to pay the **** attention to what he is doing.

Thank you. Japanese people telling it how it is. - Page 5 945058907
    @ Virulas. You are more than welcome to join us for Friday Night Fights. Hope to see you there.
    Virulas
    Virulas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Virulas Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 am

any specific soul level or time i got to be there?
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 am

crbngville2 wrote:...+1 to Saint for starting this conversation...

This conversation started long before this, and for good reason.

crbngville2 wrote:...The idea that certain moves, i.e backstabs, should be eliminated because of lag though is silly. Blame P2P if you want, not the move itself. If we try to legislate lag out of the game, let's just bow to eachother and jump of a ledge together...

Its not the p2p. You said blame the p2p if you want...just clearing up this statement. If a move in a game does not function properly, it makes sense to consider a fix or removal. Backstabs have been at the border since Demon's Souls. The community has shared strategies for compensating for the imperfections of this mechanic making it acceptable. If common ground were not found, the mechanic should've have been excised. Just like any other tumor. Thankfully this has not been the case.

crbngville2 wrote:...I got sick of the word noobstick in Demon's Souls. I am way past sick of people calling any weapon/tactic/strategy in Dark Souls cheap or using it as an excuse to cover their losses...

I’m tired of this crap too. But I dont say spears create an advantage because I have a problem with them, I say it because its true. Whether or not the opponent is skilled enough to capitalize on this advantage is in their hands. If they lose using a spear,it doesn't make the comment less true. I'm tired of people getting offended because they realize their tactic might be considered cheap. If you (not you, anyone) use cheap tactics to win, just admit it. Just say, "I like using a spear for the reach advantage." And if you refuse to use a spear, it does not make you someone of "higher morality". It just means you refuse to play a certain way. Nothing wrong with that either.

crbngville2 wrote:...Six years of travelling the world playing U.S. Marine taught me that there is no honor on the battlefield, only dead people and survivors. Would I do anything to save a buddy in battle? Yes...

First of all thank you for your service. Secondly I find this an extreme misrepresentation of our military and what it stands for and how The United States of America conducts itself on the battlefield.

We have a code of ethics and are expected to act accordingly in all situations. We dont brainwash 13 year olds into strapping a bomb to themselves and suicide bombing a church or hospital.

Real life situations have no place in these conversations. I know you meant well, but where you left that statement left me feeling highly offended and misrepresented.

The day my Marines start using children as shields is the day they are no longer my ally. I would give my life and my childrens lives before I submit to such an atrocity.

To further elaborate on this point, the Geneva Convention is something mankind created in its darkest hours. Real life war has no place in these conversations.

And last but not least, pointing out that something in Dark Souls creates an advantage does not mean anything other than that. It doesn’t mean you are creating an excuse for anything, it means you are critiquing a game, simple as that.

For instance, if there were a 10K tourney in Dark Souls….how many MoMs would we see? How many spears? How many castings? A whole lot, thats how many.
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:29 am

If I have offended anyone, that was not my intention. My point was that on a battlefield, there is only living and dying. At the end of the day you will do what it takes to be on the front end of that, or you got different training than I did as a Marine. The analogy is to how the Forest Meta has been established by the community. If you don't like, don't play in the Forest. You have a choice, on a real battlefield you don't. If my analogy has offended you, please accept my apology. Japanese people telling it how it is. - Page 5 3149687655
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 am

Animaaal wrote:
    I think of how fun it would be to get paid to do that, then I think about this one time....

...I'm a mortician. I went on a cornorer call once and this dude literally had a heart attack (assumed at the time, verified later) sittting at his computer playing WoW. There was literally a mouse eating his finger when we showed up.

I never seen so many tough guys (cops) vomit and dry heave at one time lol. I shouldn't laugh though, if I didn't have a family and got paid to play, I'd drink like a fish and suffer the same fate.

And let's keep real life out of these conversations, correct.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:40 am

crbngville2 wrote:If I have offended anyone, that was not my intention. My point was that on a battlefield, there is only living and dying. At the end of the day you will do what it takes to be on the front end of that, or you got different training than I did as a Marine. The analogy is to how the Forest Meta has been established by the community. If you don't like, don't play in the Forest. You have a choice, on a real battlefield you don't. If my analogy has offended you, please accept my apology. Japanese people telling it how it is. - Page 5 3149687655

Fully accepted and thank you for owning that statement.

I apologize as well for my statement, you're right.
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 am

Japanese people telling it how it is. - Page 5 945058907
    Xero
    Xero
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xero Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 pm

I guess i now know why all japanase players roll bs me with hornet rings.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 pm

I came here to learn, hoping for some good tactics from a different mindset than mine, and instead all I got was this:

I say let like-minded people play each other. That's why I chose my opponents from this forum; I find getting my butt handed to me by them more fun than randoms. :P
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Props to crb and Animaal. Thank you for not turning that volatile issue into a flame-fest! Proper Bow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 10:06 pm