Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+35
Hue
Rayko
JohnnyHarpoon
OmarTheFuzzy
ExplodingPenguin
Gyonimizotetsu
Tolvo
EverlastingRat
ublug
OrnsteinBro
Myztyrio
Slarg232
GrinTwist
User1
ADirtySlate
raecor14
GaryBlevins
Cronotis
Seignar
Paragon
Nugget
Animaaal
Forum Pirate
Serious_Much
Phoenix Rising
samster628
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
WandererReece
swordiris
Nybbles
Acarnatia
BIG TIME MASTER
Dibsville
The Letter X
Rynn
39 posters

New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again.

Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again. - Page 3 Empty Re: New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again.

Post by Dibsville Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:34 pm

Myztyrio wrote:Get rid of RoFaP, Havel's, DWGR, anything that will make it so that you need certain rings or you're at a disadvantage. So we get more variation.
    Havel's Ring was in Demon's Souls too, A LOT of people had fat roll.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again. - Page 3 Empty Re: New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again.

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:38 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:Wouldn't it reduce variation? Everyone would have to wear very light armour to fast roll, and stamina would be lowered, etc. Havel's and RoFaP and Havel's are literally the reasons some builds exist.
    Not if wolfs is also gone (notice I included it). Then the poise to resist a stun is actual hard to get, so mid and heavy builds have a huge advantage in poise and a big advantage in defense, with the ability to use more/heavier weapons as well. Thus the slower rolls are not huge handicaps as they are now.

@ Serious, I'm all in favor of awesome rings. I'm fine with any ring, so long as they don't centeralise the way havels, wolfs and fap do. If one removes the ability to be both light and heavy at the same time, suddenly being either isn't an exercise in futiliy.

A ring that boosts melee damage at the cost defense would be cool (not stacking with the hornet ring), and the opposite would be cool too. A ring that adds 30 bleed build per hit would be savage.
    ADirtySlate
    ADirtySlate
    Regular
    Regular

Post by ADirtySlate Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:44 pm

[quote="Forum Pirate"]
    RenegadeCop wrote:A ring that adds 30 bleed build per hit would be savage.

I remember saying that it'd be cool for them to add resins that could do things like that could be cool. Maybe the other resins could be turned into rings as well (giving lightning element, fire element, and poison to compatible weapons [maybe even incompatible ones] permanently for a ring slot).
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 am

Rynn wrote:
    A ring that makes your rolls take half as long, and go twice as far, but removes all invincibility frames. Mobility sans Invincibility, a dangerous, but game changing utility trade. Potentially of use by Fat Rollers, or even Dark Wood Grain Ring ninja's that are in a rush.

Unless they found some miraculous way to eliminate latency, it would be pointless using that ring in pvp. It's already common to take damage from across the screen with the opponent spamming attacks into empty space, with the only way to avoid such damage being invinciframes. A roll with huge distance and no invinciframes and would just disable you from performing any useful actions and make you extremely vulnerable to lagshots for its entire duration.

The length would also put you at a disadvantageous position as you can't counter attack. At that point, you might as well just remove the roll button.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:46 am

OrnsteinBro wrote:
    Rynn wrote:
    A ring that makes your rolls take half as long, and go twice as far, but removes all invincibility frames. Mobility sans Invincibility, a dangerous, but game changing utility trade. Potentially of use by Fat Rollers, or even Dark Wood Grain Ring ninja's that are in a rush.

Unless they found some miraculous way to eliminate latency, it would be pointless using that ring in pvp. It's already common to take damage from across the screen with the opponent spamming attacks into empty space, with the only way to avoid such damage being invinciframes.

...You seem to forget that i-frames are only an asset to rolling, not the reason...

A roll with huge distance and no invinciframes and would just disable you from performing any useful actions and make you extremely vulnerable to lagshots for its entire duration.

...Also, most phantom damage (excluding HUGE laggy conditions) is also administered at close range...

The length would also put you at a disadvantageous position as you can't counter attack. At that point, you might as well just remove the roll button.

...Thats you opinion based on your playstyle I'm afraid. I can only imagine what my DWGR toons would be able to do. I'll gladly take that closing distance advantage in exchange for a higher risk of recieving damage. I could also see advantages to mid-rollers. It would make them much more competitive from a backstab point of view....

I'm sorry. I agree losing valuable i-frames would be problematic for someone not understanding the repercussions from such a decision, but someone knowing the repercussions could use them very advantageously.

I dont think this ring idea is bad at all.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:15 am

Also note the roll not only goes twice as far, but takes half as long. So if you're spamming roll, it's a distance increase of X4.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:40 am

i want to see a ring that makes you appear exactly like your invader, so like if you where dressed like a thief but they where a warrior on their screen they would see the warrior.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:55 pm

I don't know if they will use the humanity system in dks2, since this is related to the sacrifice rings.
    One ring should just preserve souls (ros) and the other should just preserve humanity (rros).
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:12 am

i also don't think i wish to have the DWGR in the next game. This ring is honestly overpowered. It's not longer a challenge to dodge, it just becomes "Push Circle to Dodge", it doesn't matter which direction you move, you'll successfully dodge practically anything.
    EverlastingRat
    EverlastingRat
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by EverlastingRat Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:16 am

Nybbles wrote:i want a ring that alters your weapons move set, sort of like what the hornet ring already does but broader. perhaps weapons could have a standard move set but the special attacks of those weapons are only unlocked when you are wearing the ring.

i want a ring that alters your character's movement animations, somewhat like the darkwood grain ring but without the ridiculous i-frames. it might change the jumping animation so that you can jump vertically instead of just horizontally, kip-up after being knocked down, a vault animation to get over low obstacles. basically something that would make the character look more acrobatic or feel more mobile, but it's benefit would have to be more aesthetic than actual.

that would be freakin great idea! I mean you can use weapons with their normal move set, but with the ring, it allows you to be a weapon master, unlocking unorthodox move sets...while it seems great of just adding a special attack to weapons but i feel like that might be a OP feature, i would prefer a more "advanced user" move set, thus being the Weapon Master Ring. They could be awkward or difficult to use but, with practice, have great combat benefits(damage boost?). Something like a combo of leo/hornet and DWGR(and maybe something similar to the calamity ring)....obviously, i haven't put much thought into it and i can see this as being one of the most OPed items but that's why i advise to make it extremely hard to master moveset, maybe requiring some high dex... i guess as i'm thinking about it now, maybe it would be geared towards high dex/light weight builds maybe lowering physical defenses to the point that you had to be extremely wary to trading any physical blows? I don't know, what do you guys think?

I always wanted something like the DWGR but with more acrobatics, like being able to use walls to do quick little runs/fllips off of, like on some crouching tiger, hidden dragon shhht. seems like it would be OPed in hallways or cramped corridors or something similar, with people quickly being able to BS another player. Shrug
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Tue May 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Animaaal wrote:...You seem to forget that i-frames are only an asset to rolling, not the reason...

That's your opinion, really and has nothing to do with what the devs intended for rolling to be as a core element. That, and the fact that intended use is not the same as the reason why a person would use it.

In any case, in pvp, one of the reasons why one rolls is because you can negate hits with i-frames (the ones where you hear the slash sound and the hit noise but you don't take damage due to being in i-frames).

The distance is not even a factor most of the time when using rolls evasively, because the other guy can usually land hits on your lagging image on his screen while you're discreetly rolling away on yours. (you hear these as the phantom hit noises, but take no damage due to having iframes). Don't you notice that if you roll too early you'll always take damage regardless of your position on the screen due to not being in iframes, while the other guy is spamming R1 into your lagging image on his screen?

Shorter roll time will not help your character cease lagging on the other guy's screen. With no invinciframes, laggier matches would become 100% more unbearable since avoiding latency-related damage would become nigh unavoidable.

Animaaal wrote:...Also, most phantom damage (excluding HUGE laggy conditions) is also administered at close range...

Not true. Phantom damage for me has always been administered upon recovering from a roll or two (and that distance away from the other guy), at which point I'll suddenly sustain 1-3 hits worth of damage as the other guy is hitting the the blank space where I used to be. If you look on Youtube at popular PVPers' videos (such as Martyrs', Peeves, etc) you'll also see that this is how phantom damage often happens- at the end of your roll/during your recovery frames while or after the other guy is/has been hitting away at the empty space you used to be.

You can receive phantom damage at close range (like suddenly getting three shots worth of damage to the face when the other guy only swung once) but that doesn't happen very often.

I honestly don't know how you play that could get you hit by phantom damage at close range. Do you get up in their face and have an R1 spamming match/parry festival or something?

Animaaal wrote:...Thats you opinion based on your playstyle I'm afraid...

No, that is a factual consequence of the matter if one is intending on using the roll for evasion.

One way you probably won't suffer from said evasive consequences it if you're solely using the roll for offensive purposes (lagbs fishing, roll in hit roll out so it looks like you haven't even moved on their screen yet they still take damage, etc).

Animaaal wrote:...I can only imagine what my DWGR toons would be able to do...

Still not sure how you are going to do anything constructive with it, unless you are intending to instantly flip behind the enemy and essentially appear to lagstab them from across the screen or something along those lines.

Again, I suppose you could utilize it that way (i.e using the roll to rapidly close distance before latency can catch up and such) but that changes nothing about what I said about its evasive capabilities.

Fact of the matter is that you still won't be close enough to counter-attack if you're using the roll for the purpose of dodging, and you're still going to be lagshotted like crazy while the other guy spams R1s into your lagging pre-roll image on his screen.

Animaaal wrote:..I'll gladly take that closing distance advantage...

Again, what advantage? You want to chase people down for what purpose? Rek with lagstab fishing? Because if you're not intending on doing that, once you get in there you're not coming out unscathed, especially not without iframes to negate all the hits the other guy will be getting on your lagging image.

Animaaal wrote:..in exchange for a higher risk of recieving damage...

It's not a 'higher risk of receiving damage' if you are using the rolls for evasion. It's a certain increase health loss since you are completely vulnerable to phantom hits and lag, which will always exist with high frequency where online multiplayer does.

Animaaal wrote:..I could also see advantages to mid-rollers. It would make them much more competitive from a backstab point of view....

Tell me more about how this works.

Animaaal wrote:...I'm sorry. I agree losing valuable i-frames would be problematic for someone not understanding the repercussions from such a decision...

The issue is not that I don't understand the repercussions, it's that you are probably proponing using it in a completely different manner frrom me thus the repercussions are different.

Animaaal wrote:...but someone knowing the repercussions could use them very advantageously...

Sure, like I said, it's possible to use it offensively across high levels of latency. The other guy won't even see you coming until you're already behind him. But it almost completely removes the benefit of rolling for the purpose of dodging.

Animaaal wrote:...I dont think this ring idea is bad at all...

Well, if you don't roll of the purpose of dodging, you definitely won't.

Basically, it would be really really good for chasing people down and lagbs fishing, but nearly useless for evading.

sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue May 07, 2013 7:58 pm

just give me a ring that boosts the power of weapons small enough to be hidden (1.0 weight units or less)( by 10%), that means a dagger and fist damage boost while not affecting rapiers or curved swords which don't need a boost
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 am

I am sorry but the DWGR is lagstab heaven. GET RID. you wanna make a ninja thats fine use a fastroll character. havels too i have no problem with but in pvp i say a good 60% of people use the DWGR. Then its just a flip until you lagstab fight.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu May 09, 2013 6:16 am

OrnsteinBro wrote:
    The issue is not that I don't understand the repercussions, it's that you are probably proponing using it in a completely different manner frrom me thus the repercussions are different.

Animaaal wrote:...but someone knowing the repercussions could use them very advantageously...

Sure, like I said, it's possible to use it offensively across high levels of latency. The other guy won't even see you coming until you're already behind him. But it almost completely removes the benefit of rolling for the purpose of dodging.

Animaaal wrote:...I dont think this ring idea is bad at all...

Well, if you don't roll of the purpose of dodging, you definitely won't.

Basically, it would be really really good for chasing people down and lagbs fishing, but nearly useless for evading.

Exactly. It changes the role of a roll.It is now an offensive action, not a defensive one. Used to close distance, make distance, perform rolling attacks, and aggressively control the fight, rather than to avoid attacks.

Some of us use shields to avoid damage.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu May 09, 2013 6:36 am

I want a ring that reduces critical damage taken while increasing blunt damage taken, and vice versa.

There are actually a few rings I want to see return from Demon's Souls that I liked, such as the Cat Ring.

The Master's Ring.

Ring of Magical Dullness, Ring of Magical Sharpness, Ring of Sincere Prayer (And a Spell Version ), and Ring of the accursed.
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu Thu May 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Why you guys hating on the Wolf Ring? I love that thing, I need it sometimes. Havel's Ring is useful, why would you take it out? What needs to be taken out is DWGR and Hornet Ring. I hate people who abuse them. All they do is lag stab lag stab lag stab from 20 feet away. I think the Tiny Being's Ring was... Really unnecessary. It didn't do anything at all. I

Anyways, for rings I would like. I would like a ring that lessens fall damage, like from Demon's Souls. Maybe a ring that increases "poise damage." Also a ring that can alert you if enemies are behind you? Like your controller violently vibrating (lol), that'd be very useful, along with hilarious. Maybe a ring that lessens damage from backstabs and ripostes, to counter a Hornet-Ring-like ring that may be in the next game (assuming it may not be in the next game, or they'll rename it).
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Thu May 09, 2013 8:46 pm

i want a ring that converts all your damage to an element and a ring that gives a 30% bonus to physical damage while reducing magical damage by 40%
    ExplodingPenguin
    ExplodingPenguin
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ExplodingPenguin Thu May 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Boo to all the people who want to get rid of the wolf/Hornet ring.

As a dragonbro I like the wolf ring; otherwise i get knocked on my ***. And gut-punching enemies to death with the Hornet ring while a dragon is awesome. it's even more fun in pvp- it adds an extra challenge.
    OmarTheFuzzy
    OmarTheFuzzy
    Casual
    Casual

Post by OmarTheFuzzy Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 pm

An anti-ganker ring would be fun. There are a few ways it could be done. For example, you could get a defense boost for each phantom the opponent has summoned, so that there are more enemies, but they're hitting you for less damage. Alternatively, the anti-ganker ring could give some percentage of any damage you take from a phantom to the host as well (a higher percentage if there is more than one phantom).

Call it the Ring of Evened Odds. happy
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Fri May 10, 2013 12:58 pm

OmarTheFuzzy wrote:An anti-ganker ring would be fun. There are a few ways it could be done. For example, you could get a defense boost for each phantom the opponent has summoned, so that there are more enemies, but they're hitting you for less damage. Alternatively, the anti-ganker ring could give some percentage of any damage you take from a phantom to the host as well (a higher percentage if there is more than one phantom).

This idea.. I love it.
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu Fri May 10, 2013 1:42 pm

OmarTheFuzzy wrote:An anti-ganker ring would be fun. There are a few ways it could be done. For example, you could get a defense boost for each phantom the opponent has summoned, so that there are more enemies, but they're hitting you for less damage. Alternatively, the anti-ganker ring could give some percentage of any damage you take from a phantom to the host as well (a higher percentage if there is more than one phantom).

Perfect.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Fri May 10, 2013 6:19 pm

I want more rings like the Ring of Favor and Protection - more benefits but greater consequences!
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Fri May 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Gyonimizotetsu wrote:Why you guys hating on the Wolf Ring? I love that thing, I need it sometimes. Havel's Ring is useful, why would you take it out? What needs to be taken out is DWGR and Hornet Ring. I hate people who abuse them. All they do is lag stab lag stab lag stab from 20 feet away. I think the Tiny Being's Ring was... Really unnecessary. It didn't do anything at all. I

Anyways, for rings I would like. I would like a ring that lessens fall damage, like from Demon's Souls. Maybe a ring that increases "poise damage." Also a ring that can alert you if enemies are behind you? Like your controller violently vibrating (lol), that'd be very useful, along with hilarious. Maybe a ring that lessens damage from backstabs and ripostes, to counter a Hornet-Ring-like ring that may be in the next game (assuming it may not be in the next game, or they'll rename it).

I love the Wolf Ring, too. 40 poise for 0 weight, I don't care what other rings you have, nothing beats that ratio.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Fri May 10, 2013 6:52 pm

The Poise/Weight Ratio is exactly why the Wolf Ring has got to go, guys silly

I still want my 3x damage Poison Ring.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Fri May 10, 2013 8:55 pm

I love how everyone wants to get rid of any ring that's useful.

Let's just get rid of every ring except Tiny Being's and Speckled Stoneplate. lol!

Also I had some cool ideas for elemental rings:

Ring of the Volcano:

1) Wearer recieves fire damage each second.

2) Wearer gets fire damage on kicks and bare fist.

3) Wearer does extra fire damage with fire attacks and weapons.

4) Wearer recieves extra fire damage from enemies.

Ring of the Storm:

1) Wearer recieves lightning damage each second.

2) Wearer gets lightning damage on kicks and bare fist.

3) Wearer does extra lightning damage with lightning attacks and weapons.

4) Wearer recieves extra lightning damage from enemies.

Ring of the Arcane:

1) Wearer recieves magic damage each second.

2) Wearer gets magic damage on kicks and bare fist.

3) Wearer does extra magic damage with magic attacks and weapons.

4) Wearer recieves extra magic damage from enemies.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:56 pm