Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
crbngville2
Animaaal
AnCapaillMor
SirArchmage
KrazykevS10
Tolvo
reim0027
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Sneezer
TheMeInTeam
lordgodofhell
Saturday-Saint
Rynn
Dibsville
Jansports
Serious_Much
20 posters

Comment on the Serious(_Much)ness of PvP

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Comment on the Serious(_Much)ness of PvP Empty Comment on the Serious(_Much)ness of PvP

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 09, 2013 8:03 pm

I've thought this for a rather long time now, but when I'm here on the forum, I get the sense that people take pvp WAY too seriously. The arguments on this section become idiotic, voices of reason get down repped. It's getting a little out of hand, here.

People mention tiers of weapon- there's an argument about it
    People mention the 'proper' way of fighting- there's an argument about it
    People mention magic- there's another bloody argument about it.

I could go on forever here, folks. But it saddens me almost, every time I see people take a unique build- not perfect, but with character and a little individuality, then when they post is for opinions everyone tears it up for the same perfect generic build. It saddens me when I see people talking about 'practicing' parries like they did it for a living or something. Hell, I even saw a guy in response to the dksII gameplay demo say he hopes the numbers will come back on damage "So he can do research".

I'd just like to remind everyone that PvP isn't a numbers game. You shouldn't be crunching digits for hours just to get your perfect min/maxed build. You shouldn't be agonising about where your last stat point will go, how to break 56/whatever poise, how to make your play unbeatable. If you relaxed a little over all this ridiculous competitiveness on a game that makes a point of not keeping score, you'd probably be at each others throats a little less often.

Sorry if people disagree with me, but I think we all just need to relax a bit over this whole thing. FROM wanted you to invade people, dish out some pain and have fun. They didn't want you to all run around using the same 4/5 weapons, using the same few builds, concentrating on the numbers so much.

Just go out there and have some fun for a change.

P.S. Stop filling the forum with ridiculous arguments, it's probably a massive pain in the *** for the mod team.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Comment on the Serious(_Much)ness of PvP Empty Re: Comment on the Serious(_Much)ness of PvP

Post by Jansports Thu May 09, 2013 8:05 pm

If someone asks how they can make a build better, there is no reason not to reccomend the same old tried and true min/max stuff.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Comment on the Serious(_Much)ness of PvP Empty Re: Comment on the Serious(_Much)ness of PvP

Post by Dibsville Thu May 09, 2013 8:10 pm

I play just to get my adrenaline going, I don't care about damage in all honesty. Although I'll say things like how to max out my build and such and I do want certain poise breaks and all that, I prefer a battle of attrition. In fact, I made a SL 1 just because I invade the Burg with completely unupgraded stuff, and some of the funnest fights I have ever had have come from SL 1 PvPing because neither of you die in 1-5 hits. Although there isn't much originality in fighting people who generally have the same stuff, it's still a great time.
    I'd agree that the arguments are stupid, but people want to build a perfect game. Honestly, I don't care about gestures anymore, as the only two I even use at this point is Wave and Point Down, although I see certain gestures as a forewarning for what to expect.
    I only min/max because I want to use certain weapons while retaining a specific soul level, otherwise I couldn't care less where my points go.
    But these are just my opinions on the game that I love so much.

Serious_Much wrote:P.S. Stop filling the forum with ridiculous arguments, it's probably a massive pain in the *** for the mod team.
    *cough* :roll:
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu May 09, 2013 8:45 pm

My final build was a full giants armor char, using the blacksmith giant's hammer, as a joke.

It's the most fun I've had in PvP in a long time, it was unrefined, unthought out, I just ran with it. I've used mugen along the way to tweak it, but for the most part, it was just fun.

I very recently had an epiphany similar to the OP. Games are more fun when you don't care about the exact science.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Thu May 09, 2013 9:12 pm

IMO people here, and in the DkS community at large, do not take PvP seriously enough.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Thu May 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Serious_Much wrote:I'd just like to remind everyone that PvP isn't a numbers game. You shouldn't be crunching digits for hours just to get your perfect min/maxed build.

Correct. You should only be crunching digits for mere minutes in order to get your perfect min/maxed build.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu May 09, 2013 9:53 pm

'd just like to remind everyone that PvP isn't a numbers game. You
    shouldn't be crunching digits for hours just to get your perfect
    min/maxed build.

Some people enjoy this aspect of gaming. You should see "number crunching" on civfanatics forums. It's just part of the territory, and it can be legit enjoyable for many.

The way I see it, it's fine as long as it doesn't get abrasive. Min/maxing and arguments over optimization can be fun.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Thu May 09, 2013 10:01 pm

While I respect your opinion, I also have my own; this is the PVP section of the forum and it's "for the PVP nuts," so it'd be a little odd if we didn't debate, argue, and discuss the things that bothered us.
    I believe that it has less to do with people taking it too seriously, and more to do with people being belligerent on a more personal level, which incites such arguments.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu May 09, 2013 10:05 pm

sure its fine to debate but rehashing the same old arguements just gets old and results in bitterness among forum members which then leads to trolling or flame threads in extreme cases.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Which is what I mean by a few belligerents, because the debates are largely civil without a few people involving themselves, and one messy post can tip those fragile scales into a downward spiral.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Fri May 10, 2013 1:05 am

Personally, I love designing the perfect build. The one that is min-maxed to perfection. Has a good poise-break level. Has good defenses and so on. That is part of the fun for me.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri May 10, 2013 1:16 am

Oh great, just great, I was going to make a thread about the Seriousness of PvP with even a Serious Much name related joke in there, but no! Now because of this I will look like a copy cat, and I won't get to farm rep-I mean, help out the community.

Damn you Serious Much, damn you!
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Fri May 10, 2013 1:22 am

I'm tired of seeing all the arguments and clone builds too.Do people on this forum even realise their "new" build is almost exactly the same as all the others? I'm not very creative but I'd like to see more unique builds so I can try them out.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri May 10, 2013 2:36 am

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=302702354317374191

i can't recall this ever being done... also the great axe is accually faster in the off hand, the trick to this is to use the roar to set up hits.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 am

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=302702354317374191

i can't recall this ever being done... also the great axe is accually faster in the off hand, the trick to this is to use the roar to set up hits.
    I'd say fair play to you for that.I've never seen a southpaw/lefty build before.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Fri May 10, 2013 2:58 am

I feel as though this is the same old argument of how serious(_much) you should play a game. It mainly depends just on what person you are. Are you a person like me, that can't help but analyze tactics and numbers, to the point you get good enough that everyone calls you a tryhard? Fine then. Good for you. Are you a (filthy) casual that just plays to relax, that doesn't care as much whether you win or lose? Fine. Good for you. There are plenty of ways to play a game. If someone says that you shouldn't take a game too seriously just yell "get away from me you filthy casual!". And, conversely, if someone tells you that you are a noob and suck at that game, just because you don't take the game as serious(_much)ly, just laugh and ignore them. Or make fun of them. Either one works.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Fri May 10, 2013 3:15 am

Saturday-Saint wrote:IMO people here, and in the DkS community at large, do not take PvP seriously enough.

Comment on the Serious(_Much)ness of PvP 3235151284 Look how serious my face is
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri May 10, 2013 4:45 am

Totally agree Serious but unfortunately it's the internet and if your opinion does not match mine your opinion is invalid(that's not me, its alot of the net), to you & me and me it's a game to others its more. To be honest this board's pretty decent agrowise, i've seen a lot worse, gamefaqs took the biscuit, i saw a thread on an fc with no rolling allowed, most help me threads degenerated into all out war after 3 posts. It's not just this game either.

BTW not game related but just think of a united\pool thread on any forum, then you realise this place is not so bad.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri May 10, 2013 5:06 am

Comment on the Serious(_Much)ness of PvP Sithcodelol_zpsedf717d3

Mwahahahaha!!!:
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri May 10, 2013 6:48 am

AnCapaillMor wrote:i saw a thread on an fc with no rolling allowed
    TBH: This sounds really *** fun to me.
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Fri May 10, 2013 7:50 am

To the Op:

This is why you never see me post my own numbers. Also why I advocate for "no rules" in a FC.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 10, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks for the responses everyone happy

To reiterate, I don't think doing a bit of planning is a bad thing- you don't wanna work for hours on a steaming turd of a build. However it's when seriousness gets to the point where 1 mis-allocated point means you have to reroll your build, when your not satisfied till your skill equals being too good for everyone else.. It's this level of seriousness that causes arguments..

I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss things, but when you start arguing instead of debating, and the flames and insults start getting thrown around it's gone too far- and while this forum is better than other places, how about we strive to go one better and eradicate the petty arguments that come out in this section
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri May 10, 2013 9:52 am

A noble idea but you've a better chance of liverpool fan wearing a Fergie:Legend shirt.

Games bring out the best and worst in us.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 10, 2013 9:57 am

AnCapaillMor wrote:A noble idea but you've a better chance of liverpool fan wearing a Fergie:Legend shirt.

This made me smile haha

Have you heard about when a guy wore a Man U shirt to a liverpool preseason game? The other people in the crowd stripped the man u shirt off and put a liverpool one on him- priceless.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri May 10, 2013 10:02 am

I'd believe it, come on its the same here, you go in with a build wearing giants armour and gargoyle helm and ninja flip out with a xanthous, dingy, wolf ring kit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am