Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
GenericUsername
Slarg232
Carphil
Forum Pirate
densetsushun
ViralEnsign_
Elite Knight
Leeroy_Jenkins
Ashran
RevolverSnake
Red Rosie
tinypantha
Emergence
JohnnyHarpoon
Uparkaam
Jansports
Satoshi
Dibsville
22 posters

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Empty Re: Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

Post by GenericUsername Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Kinda wish I knew what you were talking about.

But anyway, I'm heading to the local comic store on Friday with some friends to magic it up
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Empty Re: Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 ImageMagic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 ImageMagic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 ImageMagic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 ImageMagic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 ImageMagic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 ImageMagic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 ImageMagic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Image

All legal in standard at the same time, then they just nickle and dime you with cards like tormented soul or phyrexian obliterator (which you can't block/can't block without sacrificing permanents)

Want to know how fun it is to fight 6 of these in any given fnm. Its not. Like at all. Its dull at best and infuriating at worst.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 pm

Look at all you nerrrrrds, talkin' about Magic like a bunch of nerrrrds do. Way to be a bunch of nerrrrds you nerrrrrds.

Haha. Just kidding. I used to play this game. However, I sold all my cards so I could pay for Dark Souls. >.>
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 pm

I do and I loved my old Suicide Black Deck.

Other than that I have a fungus deck, a Giant Deck, and a Convalescence deck.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:50 am

Forum Pirate wrote:All legal in standard at the same time, then they just nickle and dime you with cards like tormented soul or phyrexian obliterator (which you can't block/can't block without sacrificing permanents)

Want to know how fun it is to fight 6 of these in any given fnm. Its not. Like at all. Its dull at best and infuriating at worst.
    Heh, my girlfriend plays kitchen table with those black cards, it is very infuriating. But luckily beatdowns have plenty more where that came from big grin
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:52 pm

I was running battlecry at the time, so the loss of any 1 creature was a huge blow, and I couuldn't block the obliterator because it would clear my field. There was very little I could do except lightning bolt and due respect (i think. Its the white instant that forces the attacker to sacrifice 2 creatures) and hope I could get out a bladehold.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Ah, that does sound like a sticky situation, I can see how frustrating that can be. Control kills strategy, it just does, part of why I love a somewhat strategy-less playstyle. I love cards that can work independently of other cards, but with which I can still combo.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:28 pm

That's one of the reasons I love Magic, honestly;

Gonna use Indestructable Creatures? I'mma use Wither.

Counter Spells? Just let me use the stuff that can't be countered.

Chump Blockers? Trample.

Trample? Creature Removal.

There is an answer to everything, it makes me happy big grin

So back during the M14 event, we ended up pulling a Kalonian Hydra. It was a 2HG tourney, so we had to dilly it up. I ended up winning the game between us to see who would get it, but decided to let him have it. He ended up giving me Gideon, Martial Law, and 8 booster packs worth of M14 cards.

I totally think I robbed the guy with Kindness.....
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:35 am

The thing about MTG is that Wizards gives a crap, they're constantly looking at the cards and the meta and determining how to balance it out with the next block. There will always be something, and Wizards will always come up with something for it.

Edit:
    I think I'm falling in love with Boros. You get the best of Red's agro with white's tough combos and lifegain.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:24 pm

My only balance issue with mtg is infect (whither+poision, in case you don't know.)

It can be countered with creature control, but the good infect decks all have blue and aren't going to tolerate creature control.

Its worse i edh, because its still just 10 counters, despite the increased life totals.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:53 pm

densetsushun wrote:Ah, that does sound like a sticky situation, I can see how frustrating that can be. Control kills strategy, it just does, part of why I love a somewhat strategy-less playstyle. I love cards that can work independently of other cards, but with which I can still combo.

I favor "self contained" decks. Decks that are doing whatever it is they're doing with no regard for what anyone else is doing.

Allies are a good example. They build. It doesn't really matter what their opponent is doing, they sit on a counter to stop a field wipe, and just build untill the opponent is overrun by the insane power of the creatures or falls prey to an indirect assualt.

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 ImageMagic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 ImageMagic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 ImageMagic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Image
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:17 pm

So I think I'm finally going to start ordering cards online.  I never wanted to before because I thought it was a cheap move, but it's not like I'm going to buy nothing but mythic rares.

And I've missed out on so many older sets.  I came into magic after the innistrad bloc but before the return to ravnica bloc.  I've just wanted to build up more themed decks.  Right now I'm looking at older red/black rakdos stuff.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:38 am

Forum Pirate wrote:My only balance issue with mtg is infect (whither+poision, in case you don't know.)
    Yeah, infect is an iffy one, it can be so difficult to counter, most of the time you can just hope to not have to deal with someone using it.

GenericUsername wrote:So I think I'm finally going to start ordering cards online.  I never wanted to before because I thought it was a cheap move, but it's not like I'm going to buy nothing but mythic rares.

And I've missed out on so many older sets.  I came into magic after the innistrad bloc but before the return to ravnica bloc.  I've just wanted to build up more themed decks.  Right now I'm looking at older red/black rakdos stuff.
    I started playing during the Mirrodin block but I stopped shortly after Champions of Kamigawa got released, I recently returned to it after Gatecrash was released. I'm going to buy cards online but right now there are more cards I want from boosters(mainly Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze) that I won't want to buy the specific cards yet until I feel I'm not getting what I want, or I've thinned out my wishlist a bit.

Does anyone think Wizards is bringing back Artifacts(or at least, bringing them back in a big way)? As far as I understand it, Wizards shows what they'll do with the next few sets by making the cards come back to prominence in the Core Set. We've seen they're bringing back Slivers, but with cards like Darksteel Ingot and artifact destroying cards, I think they might want to bring back artifacts somehow.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:27 pm

They did just a few years back in scars of mirroden. You missed it, it doesn't seem likely to happen for a long while now.

The next set is rumored to be based on greek and roman mythology, so there will probably be a few crazy artifacts, but not on the mirroden scale.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Awh, that makes me sad, I love artifacts sad I did just see some spoiler stuff they showed at SDCC, Theros is looking good!
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:34 pm

I had white/artifact deck from Scars of Mirrodin that I loved. Was a cool vibe and was chock full of Golem tokens and buffs. I liked the mana flexibility of the artifacts, made for some nice pairings.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:02 pm

So can enchantments like Jace's Erasure be stacked?  I've got a nasty blue deck going but it would really work better with four.

Also got two new red decks made and ready.  One is nothing but bloodthirst, haste, and a combination of making creatures unblockable or tapped and making creatures only blockable by two or more creatures.

And then the other is a burn deck where these guys take the main spotlight

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Image12   Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Image13  Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Image14

Aaaand finally, my extort deck is really ***.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Hmmm, looks like I need a few Charmbreaker Devils to go with my Kiln Fiends, Nivix Cyclopes, and Young Pyromancers.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Yes, jaces erasure can be stacked.

Those cards are really high cost for a red deck, espicially as pyrmancers ascention and pyretic ritual (i think) just got banned. How do you get that much mana out now that the best red mana spam instants are out?
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Yes, jaces erasure can be stacked.

Those cards are really high cost for a red deck, espicially as pyrmancers ascention and pyretic ritual (i think) just got banned. How do you get that much mana out now that the best red mana spam instants are out?

That's actually not too much for me.  It might just all go down to shuffling and opening hands but I can almost always get those guys out soon enough.  I keep some bloodthirst creatures out so I'm not completely open to attack and then I have low cost burns.  Honestly I couldn't really tell you, I just play what I get and it works.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:02 pm

So I'm trying to put together a punish deck; if an opponent takes a certain action, they are not rewarded kindly.

Ash Zealots (3 damage if you cast a card from the graveyard), Aether Sting (1 damage for playing a creature), Carnage Gladiator (automatic 1 damage if you block with anything), Hellrider Demons (I attack, you lose 1 life per creature attacking),  Hamlet Back Giants (+x/+x, X being the Power of any monster played).

Gatherer is down, anyone know of any sort of "Land Punishment"? Preferably Red or Red-something Hybrid?
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Slarg232 wrote:So I'm trying to put together a punish deck; if an opponent takes a certain action, they are not rewarded kindly.

Ash Zealots (3 damage if you cast a card from the graveyard), Aether Sting (1 damage for playing a creature), Carnage Gladiator (automatic 1 damage if you block with anything), Hellrider Demons (I attack, you lose 1 life per creature attacking),  Hamlet Back Giants (+x/+x, X being the Power of any monster played).

Gatherer is down, anyone know of any sort of "Land Punishment"? Preferably Red or Red-something Hybrid?
    This is something, though not without consequence:
    Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Acidic%20Soil.full
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:57 pm

GenericUsername wrote:

That's actually not too much for me.  It might just all go down to shuffling and opening hands but I can almost always get those guys out soon enough.  I keep some bloodthirst creatures out so I'm not completely open to attack and then I have low cost burns.  Honestly I couldn't really tell you, I just play what I get and it works.

raised brow It works against who? You actually wait 5 turns to have the mana to play the creature your deck is built around, and in a red deck? Unless that creature is Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Image

or

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Image

Then I question the skill of the people you're playing. I might just be missing something.

Perhaps you can post the decklist?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:18 am

Reason being that there are things like this.

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Image.

Assuming an ideal hand, being 1 swamp, 3, 1 cost creatures and the demon (5 cards total) thats a turn 1 9/9 flying trample. Even (and more likely) delayed a turn or 2, there will be very little you can do about that if it gets dropped on you in a mono red that takes 5 turns to build properly, and it will kill you long before turn 5, when your deck hits its stride.

GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:40 am

Forum Pirate wrote:
    GenericUsername wrote:

raised brow It works against who? You actually wait 5 turns to have the mana to play the creature your deck is built around, and in a red deck? Unless that creature is Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 5 Image

or

Then I question the skill of the people you're playing.  I might just be missing something.

Perhaps you can post the decklist?

Yeah I can get the decklist.  And I only play against my friends who make the most homosexual decks imaginable.  Of course this one wouldn't stand up to all of them, but it works for some.

Charmbreaker Devils
    Bomber Corps x3
    Wall of Torches x4
    Stormblood Berserker x4
    Galvanoth
    Splatter Thug x2
    Fire Servant
    Rakdos Shred Freak
    Somberwald Vigilante x2
    Young Pyromancer
    Blood Ogre

Spire Barrage
    Shock
    Fireball
    Chandra's outrage x4
    Lightning Bolt x3
    Electrickery
    Searing Spear x3
    Punish the enemy x2
    Explosive Impact x2
    Flame slash
    Traitorous Blood
    Toil/ Trouble x2
    Staff of the flame Magus

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:00 pm