Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+38
Parrotperil
TehInfamousAmos
sunbro
Saturnine Knight
Quarik
Rin
Rynoa
reim0027
Yarxov
eninala
cloudyeki
DarkW17
Bamjam
cjmully
Imarreteet23
kiwi_commander
ChizFreak
Ignus-Dej
DJ_XHERO
dominoboy
WyrmHero
skarekrow13
Toastfacekillah
Forum Pirate
ViralEnsign_
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
User
Emergence
Dj-B-Man-Jr
Brokewilly
Yukon
Spurgun
barecanvas
befowler
aceluby
nsane32
Tolvo
strangejoy
42 posters

For the Glory of Alvina

Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 28 Empty Re: For the Glory of Alvina

Post by Brokewilly Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:59 am

Tolvo wrote:That would be interesting.

Oh yeah on what hosts and summons can do, they can parry eachother. That's the extent of what they can do to one another.

Yeah I know a hunter could for parry another hunter so that makes sense that a host could parry a white/yellow phantom. I had just not seen anything like this before. Maybe it was a mod poison cloud but the host appeared to kill his minion. It was the crazies thing I ever saw.

As soon as my new PVR come in I am taping everything so I can have proof my eyes were not playing tricks on me.

Never a dull moment in the old forest I tell you.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:00 am

You could also get them reported as well, I'd rather not see dangerous toxic clouds harming my poor little forest.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:02 am

Mmmm the forest cannot be dealing with this s h i t!

Gravelord the forest

Baratheon Gravesworn
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:58 am

Yeah - as soon as my new PVR comes in I plan on recording all the action in the forest - the weird, crazy, sublime, etc.

Ok - here are three more videos for everyone's viewing pleasure. These are fairly random and one is incomplete but I am posting it anyway.

In this invasion it was 2v1 and I was able to lead the phantom away (I guess the host was allowing his minion to do the dirty work). I was able to stun-lock this phantom and kill him quickly. The phantom basically walked into my attack and since he was trying to cast a WoG (he was probably a WoG spammer) I caught him with his defenses down. As you can see before the video cuts the host is like "WTF?? just happened to my minion :shock: " because you can see him roll around the corner to take a look and all he sees is me walking towards him calmly then he rolls back out of view. I was also able to defeat the host but my PVR cutoff :x so I was not able to record that part of the invasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39-GrLkyVbI

This next invasion does not end well for either of us hunters. This is an example of what not do when you are trying aid one of your brethren. I threw all caution to the wind and got my butt handed to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4wlvpirgPc

In this invasion I finally was able to catch one of my Arch-nemesis alone with no minions to aid him. This ganker has banged me so many times that I cannot even count (he is usually never alone) - he is in the "kill at all cost" section of my bingo book. I usually don't bang like this but I refused to allow this farmer to walk out the forest alive. Sometimes the "Hunter PTSD" takes over and all you see is the death of your enemy. I try to be as honorable as possible but for this fight with this farmer - honor was thrown out of the 100th floor window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oow9G-N9Y2Y

Just wanted to publish some new vids on the forum - enjoy.

Last edited by Brokewilly on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:36 am

Nice work Broke. Don't worry. I bet all of us have a list.......

Skarekrow13: "I'll get you for this (insert name here). If it's the last thing I do!"
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:58 am

That white phantom chasing after you, wow. I have no way to describe what that man did in words.

Look Skyward

Again I just have to say I think you aren't being aggressive enough, but in that video your baiting did work and while it is abnormal, you did get the kill from it. So I do think that is a good example of waiting to fight.

In regards to the second video, I think you know what went wrong so you don't need me analysing those mistakes.

For the last video I would say don't bang like that, but if you recognized his name as a past farmer I understand killing him at any cost. Holy hell was that some bad lag though, watch those CHSM balls hit you, then watch your health get lowered seconds later. But then for some reason your weapons hit him without lag, and his you. What was that all about? Was the connection fluxing that much in just those few seconds of combat? This guy is like his own little world of dark souls, a Farmer Curse of the Dark Sign changing how time works around him. But enough lore based jokes, nice sammiching. In that instance that was really that guy's fault, he could have easily rolled away and decided to stand his ground against two stunlock greatsword users, turning his back to one? Not a very bright idea on his part. That one looked fine, I didn't really notice anything other than that you should dodge into CHSM, but with lag that might not have worked still.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm also inclined to be more aggressive in my fights, but then again I also die a lot. Being patient can make a difference, particularly since the point of farming is to kill as many FHs as quickly as possible, so denying them that by not running right to the stairs can pay off. That mid-WotG stunlock was also beautifully timed, that is something else to practice in FH FC! His poise didn't look particularly low from his gear, does the mura really stunlock that easily?
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:09 pm

befowler wrote:I'm also inclined to be more aggressive in my fights, but then again I also die a lot. Being patient can make a difference, particularly since the point of farming is to kill as many FHs as quickly as possible, so denying them that by not running right to the stairs can pay off. That mid-WotG stunlock was also beautifully timed, that is something else to practice in FH FC! His poise didn't look particularly low from his gear, does the mura really stunlock that easily?

Befowler - yeah the Mura is a great stun-locking weapon. It appeared the phantom was wearing Set of Thorns which has poise of 40 which is not enough to keep you from being stun-locked with the Mura on the initial strike. Yeah - I started my swing before he got within range (plus he started the WoG cast) so I caught him perfectly. Once I started rolling on him the phantom did not stand much of chance. Even though I did not capture it I got the host basically the same way - the host was wearing cloth armor so once I got rolling on him unlocked with the Mura he was toast.

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:26 pm

I need to get back in the forest. Been too busy on lore hunts the last few nights.
    Parrotperil
    Parrotperil

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 28 Empty Strange Times

Post by Parrotperil Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Hey everyone, long time lurker here.
    A few posts back it was pointed out that there's been an alarming increase in red spirits attacking forest invaders. As a Darkwraith who prefers to invade in the forest, I've never attacked a fellow invader before. However, I've noticed several red spirits that have attacked me even when they were clearly not working with the host. sad

Another thing I'd like to mention: I was PvPing as normal, when I ran into a host/phantom ganking pair. After about a minute of combat, I noticed the host (who was wielding two katanas) was not taking any damage. To confirm my suspicions, I switched targets to the phantom and took a few chunks off of his hp bar with some well-placed swipes from my own Iaito. A few seconds later, the host moves in to one-hit backstab me

About 15 minutes later, I come upon the same host, phantomless, a katana in one hand and a catalyst in the other. We engage in combat and, sure enough, nothing I do hurts him in the slightest. Imagine my delight when, as he rolls around trying to backstab me, he takes a dive off the cliff. big grin
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Nicely done. I got back to my console last night after spring break and decided to check out the BSS. Got it up to +15 and wow, its moveset is sweet. Damage is really poor though. 600ish on a SLB and hornets ring backstab. I think I'm going to have to get my estoc up to chaos+5 for bsing.

On the topic of bsing, fish for them really hard. I met one host-phantom pair last night that I got about 15 backstabs on before they finally killed me. Needless to say, I wasted a lot of their estus. I find that sprinting-locked backstabs are highly effective, as farmers aren't good at punishing, but you have to be at least a few feet away from the target for it to work. What would people recommend as a good damage BS weapon apart from the estoc?
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Parrotperil wrote:Hey everyone, long time lurker here.
    A few posts back it was pointed out that there's been an alarming increase in red spirits attacking forest invaders. As a Darkwraith who prefers to invade in the forest, I've never attacked a fellow invader before. However, I've noticed several red spirits that have attacked me even when they were clearly not working with the host. sad

Another thing I'd like to mention: I was PvPing as normal, when I ran into a host/phantom ganking pair. After about a minute of combat, I noticed the host (who was wielding two katanas) was not taking any damage. To confirm my suspicions, I switched targets to the phantom and took a few chunks off of his hp bar with some well-placed swipes from my own Iaito. A few seconds later, the host moves in to one-hit backstab me

About 15 minutes later, I come upon the same host, phantomless, a katana in one hand and a catalyst in the other. We engage in combat and, sure enough, nothing I do hurts him in the slightest. Imagine my delight when, as he rolls around trying to backstab me, he takes a dive off the cliff. big grin

ParrotPeril - welcome to the Alvina's sub-thread. I would agree the reds have been exuding a lot of hostility lately - glad to hear you have some measure of restraint towards hunters when you invade. I have problems with reds - technically their job is to also clear the forest of campers. But never forget to defend yourself if attacked by blue (FH) - especially if you are not being hostile towards them. Some forest hunters have Hunter PTSD and will lose their minds from time to time - its the constant bangs bro.

If you are on the XBOX then it sounds like we may have run up against the same mod toon. The last two mods I fought - one of them wearing Darkwraith armor weilding a katana and the other was shirtless wielding a MLGS. Glad to see the mod rolled off a cliff and killed himself - did you receive any souls for the his death? The most recent mod (shirtless man :shock: ??)I fought had a constant health bar (almost full) over his head which pretty much gave him away. I decided to kill myself instead of giving the dude the satisfaction of killing me Look Skyward .But not before trying to kill his butt first!!

If you are on XLN shoot me your tag via a forum PM and I'll hit you with a friend request so maybe we can invade the forest at the same time twisted . Always looking for new allies to assist with clearing the forest of miscreants.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Welcome parrot, please stick around, share stories, talk tactics, and ask questions. Forest Wraiths are always welcome in my book, as well if you ever are interested we do have a lot of tactics for dealing with gankers and fighting in the forest posted throughout the thread. Welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Quarik wrote:Nicely done. I got back to my console last night after spring break and decided to check out the BSS. Got it up to +15 and wow, its moveset is sweet. Damage is really poor though. 600ish on a SLB and hornets ring backstab. I think I'm going to have to get my estoc up to chaos+5 for bsing.

On the topic of bsing, fish for them really hard. I met one host-phantom pair last night that I got about 15 backstabs on before they finally killed me. Needless to say, I wasted a lot of their estus. I find that sprinting-locked backstabs are highly effective, as farmers aren't good at punishing, but you have to be at least a few feet away from the target for it to work. What would people recommend as a good damage BS weapon apart from the estoc?

I like the BSS as secondary weapon due to its speed and snappiness. I personally use an occult and enchanted versions but I also use a normal BSS for buff purposes from time to time. I like using it to harass an opponent with a bigger slower weapon which you can be evade if time correctly - "hit and get out of there" type of fighting.

Well I'm not a BS master but I would think you would want to choose a weapon with above 100 crit bonus such as rapier, B. Knife, or dagger. Since you like the estoc you should use a maxing-out normal rapier then buff it at your pleasure. I do like the estoc for its poking and standoff capability you can really harass your opponent from a distance with it.

Maybe another of one of Alvina's allies will chime in on your question.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Hornet's Ring Chaos+5 Garg Halberd can deal over 1400 damage in a single backstab, Power Within and you'll kill anyone but a 99 vit toon.
    Parrotperil
    Parrotperil

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 28 Empty Signature

Post by Parrotperil Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! cheers

Anyways, I'll add my Gamertag as my signature for easy access (It's Parrotperil). I make a habit of never attacking fellow invaders, so hopefully I can work with some of you out in the forest. Lastly, the mod I fought with was wearing full shadow set, so I'm not sure if it was one of the ones you dealt with, Broke.
    eninala

Post by eninala Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 pm

I've been running around lately with an Iaito and a Dragonslayer Spear. I stopped using a shield, either wield my weapon 2H or keep my talisman out at all times, and switch to a Dark Hand when I feel like parrying.

I've found it to be a pretty good set up. My WoG/Force casts are less predictable so I land them more frequently, and the DSS is a fantastic weapon for keeping people at range.

I had a pretty good night tonight, including killing the same spawn camper twice twisted . But the highlight of my night was tailing a host and phantom who were hunting down a DW who had practically no life left - I BS'd the host just as they killed the DW, ate a BS from the phantom, then evaded both the phantom's chain-BS attempt and the host's WoG cast, and managed to stunlock the host to death with my SLB-enchanted Iaito before dying to a second BS as "Target Destroyed" appeared and 90k souls dropped into my soul bank big grin .

I think this was the first night I succeeded on more invasions than not. There's hope for me yet!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Way to go Enin, and if you keep it up I'm sure you'll be killing the majority of Gankers in no time.

By the way guys, do you think we should exclusively start referring to them as Gankers? They are farmers in a way, but I've noticed the term confusing others and believing that we seek to kill people who are farming NPC's in the forest. Do you think we should update our terminology to avoid communication issues?
    eninala

Post by eninala Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:54 pm

Yeah, ganker or camper seems to fit better.

I have found that I actually enjoy having them around to kill. I think I would actually be kind of sad if they disappeared from the Forest altogether.

There's nothing else in the game quite like the feeling you get when you kill two spawn campers, see the "Target Destroyed" logo appear while doing the "Point Up" gesture.

And then see "You have been indicted" blink on the screen. Hahaha I love that lol!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:55 pm

A world without gankers makes me think of the Film Rambo First Blood haha.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:26 am

Tolvo wrote:A world without gankers makes me think of the Film Rambo First Blood haha.

I second that - well in my book a ganker is type of farmer who tries to kill you as soon as you invade (either by themselves or a bang). While a farmer should also be considered a villainous scoundrel - they may not be as aggressive when they try to eliminate you - but they will still try to kill you regardless. A camper (a generic label in my opinion) could either be farmer or ganker but could also be a host just looking for some honorable 1v1 in the forest (even though the forest is not exactly the best local for such pursuits). I have had the pleasure of meeting all three type of campers: ganker, farmer and honorable host.

So there you have it - a ganker and farmer are two camper sub-classes and a honorable host would be the 3rd sub-class.

I do misuse the terms sometimes so I would have to take same of the blame for the confusion.

Okay - now that I truly muddied the waters (i.e. conversation) I'm going to shut-up and go to my man-cave at Alvina's house happy .
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 am

I'm going to just try and use the term Ganker/Camper when referring to them now to try and lessen any confusion.

When you think about it we are kind of like Batman. Waiting to be called on to do the job no one else can, fighting the lowest scum of humans around using the darkness. Man, the more I think about it Forest Hunters are the Batmen of Dark Souls haha.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:35 am

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 28 Tumblr_m0q26nTVka1r5ur0ho1_500
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:36 am

The Cat Ring, the Bat Signal in the sky.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:38 am

Holy gankfest Tolvo!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:17 am