Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+34
Bassman Bob
Encore
Zeta Prime
bloodpixel
GkMrBane
tigab95
Aigaios
SwarmOnline
Hart
Soul of Stray Demon
shadowzninjaz
Hatsune Miku
Reaperfan
Slarg232
Ghadis_God
DanTastic
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Marino.
Elite Knight
hey its andres
MosquitoPower
TheMeInTeam
Forum Pirate
PaPaSmVrf
KingSeekerCow
Tolvo
GrinTwist
Serious_Much
TheColdestHeart
Ostrava34
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
ResIsBestStat
Latitoast
LunarFog
38 posters

Anime General Discussion

Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Anime General Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Anime General Discussion

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:35 am

hey its andres wrote:Yeah I've already tackled quite a few series in the past weeks. Psycho-Pass was my latest accomplishment. Right now I'm watching "Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date!" (Yes that's the full title:D ). Here's a picture: Anime General Discussion - Page 3 747

It's very much a high school anime, but it was recommended to me by multiple people, and quite frankly, it's really funny. lol! 

Seen clips of Psycho Pass.  Not really in the mood for an action series right now so I can't say it's high on my "to watch" list for the moment, but those clips I saw certainly piqued my interest.  Right now I'm watching Kanon (2006), Lucky Star, and keeping up with Genshiken Nidaime, Watamote: No Matter How You Look At It, It's Your Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular (yes, that's the full title.  I can do it too silly), and the third season of The World God Only Knows each week as new episodes come out.  After Kanon and Lucky Star, it's probably Stein's Gate and Planetes eventually using Baccano! to translate into more action-y shows Like the Fate series and Jormungand.

Though I gotta ask while I'm on my Comedy/Slice of Life phase, do you know the Japanese title of "Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date!" (copy/pasted that, no way I'm typing two ridiculous titles in a single post silly)?  It makes things easier to search for when you know both because not all sites list shows by the same version of the title straight face
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Yup, here it is: Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Sh itai!

My girlfriend is keeping up on No Matter How You Look At It, It's Your Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular (new episode just aired) and I'll probably marathon it when it's done because I have a lot on my plate as it is. Sun 

I wanted to watch Kanon and Air but I just haven't gotten around to them. I will eventually though, along with Little Busters.

Oh and I definitely recommend From the New World (Shinsekai Yori). That one is a definite acid trip. It's not very anime-y, but that makes it stand out more. If you watch Psycho-Pass be sure to watch Stand Alone Complex (seasons 1 and 2) because it totally builds on that (no connection but you can tell they got a lot of inspiration from it).
    PaPaSmVrf
    PaPaSmVrf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PaPaSmVrf Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:49 pm

the new stuff on crunchyroll is real good:

Sunday Without God (on ep. 3)
    Cronicles of the Going Home Club (on ep. 2)
    Dog and Scissors (on ep. 4)
    Fate/Kalid Liner (on ep. 2, spinoff of fate/stay night)

also, for those who like innocient, cute stuff (lemme just turn in my man card here...... lol) id sugest:

Love Live! School Idol Project
    Kobato
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:02 pm

hey its andres wrote:Yup, here it is: Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Sh itai!

My girlfriend is keeping up on No Matter How You Look At It, It's Your Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular (new episode just aired) and I'll probably marathon it when it's done because I have a lot on my plate as it is. Sun 

I wanted to watch Kanon and Air but I just haven't gotten around to them. I will eventually though, along with Little Busters.

Oh and I definitely recommend From the New World (Shinsekai Yori). That one is a definite acid trip. It's not very anime-y, but that makes it stand out more. If you watch Psycho-Pass be sure to watch Stand Alone Complex (seasons 1 and 2) because it totally builds on that (no connection but you can tell they got a lot of inspiration from it).

Ahh, thanks! Found the Japanese title on my normal site so now I don't have to go crawling around the interwebs happy

Not yet seen Air, I'm saving it for a break after I finish Kanon with the break length depending on how emotionally impactful Kanon turns out to be. Though I can say from what I've seen (15/24 episodes completed at time of posting) Kanon is very similar to Clannad, albeit a little bit weaker. There's just a little bit more to it in terms of supernatural elements than there were in Clannad, but the humor, while definitely present and accounted for, isn't quite as strong (in my opinion it's due to the lack of a Sunohara-esque character and the main lead not being quite as much of a jerkass as Tomoya). Not gonna comment on the emotionally impacting moments just yet because I feel it's unfair to assess that until I've finished the series and taken each moment in consideration within the bigger scheme of things, though even at only halfway through there has already been one moment that evoked some watery eyes from me.

Not actually heard of Little Busters. I'll have to look into that.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Do you guys watch subs or dubs more often? Normally I'll watch subs and I have a great website for that, although there are times when the dubs are better: Darker Than Black, Baccano, Clannad, and a few others.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:00 pm

hey its andres wrote:Do you guys watch subs or dubs more often? Normally I'll watch subs and I have a great website for that, although there are times when the dubs are better: Darker Than Black, Baccano, Clannad, and a few others.

I'm a sub over dub kind of guy.  I've only seen one dub I'll willingly watch over the sub (the first FMA series).  In general I find dubbed performances somewhat stilted or awkward to listen to, though I usually don't attribute this to the actors themselves and more often restrictions inherent with dubbing (read earlier posts of mine in the thread for details).  If a show so happens to have poor performances by the Japanese actors, with me not being able to understand Japanese I usually don't pick up on it and it can pass me by unnoticed.  And...well...things like this comparison here.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Yeah, but dubs can have this!
    lol! 

But seriously, animes with English accents tend to be a lot better. I mean, you can't do a 1920s gangster accent in Japanese.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:30 pm

hey its andres wrote:But seriously, animes with English accents tend to be a lot better. I mean, you can't do a 1920s gangster accent in Japanese.

True.  But my counter is the question of do you really need those accents?  If a character has a heavy accent in a dub I find it's usually out-of-place with the rest of the cast.  Why exactly does this one particular character have a thick Irish/British/German/Russian/etc accent despite nobody else in their community having developed one?  It's just a personal taste that, when not handled realistically breaks my suspension of disbelief.  The only real way around it I've found is if you have something like Hellsing where characters' nationalities are clearly defined and the accents are appropriate to said nationalities, and even this usually ends up in just the whole cast having the same accent (usually British in that case).

I guess another situation that I'm okay with is when the setting is so bizarre that the notion of real-world parallels is thrown out the window, effectively breaking my suspension of disbelief but in such an obvious way that I stop caring.  Don't take it as a direct example of my opinions since I haven't actually seen the dub to any real extent and so it would be unfair for me to use it as a basis of quality, but purely in terms of what kind of setting I'm talking about think something like Soul Eater as a minimum guidepost for how bizarre things have to be for this to happen for me.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:45 pm

Well I was more referencing Baccano since it takes place in a 1920s prohibition America. I really enjoyed the dubs and thought that the voices were very fitting.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:49 pm

hey its andres wrote:Well I was more referencing Baccano since it takes place in a 1920s prohibition America. I really enjoyed the dubs and thought that the voices were very fitting.

Ah.  Not a reference I'd get seeing as how Baccano is still something I've not yet seen straight face

My opinions still stand in a general sense though winking
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Yes, in general English voice actors overdo it, or sometimes alter the character. At it's worse the character is a completely different person. Plus, with subs I assume the creators have more say over the casting than if it's a dub.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:02 pm

This is anime-related, I swear.

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:36 pm

I almost always go subs. The only anime (thus far) I've prefered in english is cowboy beebop, because eds voice in japanese is really annoying.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Slayers had some good dub voice acting too.  Amy was just OK (but certainly not bad), but the people who did Lina, Zelgadis, and Gourry all handled their characters well and kept them in their roles.  A lot of the supporting cast were pretty solid too, but having a strong main character grouping really helped the dub a ton.  Lina is easily the best work Lisa Ortiz has done that I've seen (pretty odd what different characters can do for someone in voice acting, considering she also voiced Amy Rose from sonic games for 5 years), but Cynthia Martinez also handled Lina pretty well in the OVAs.

IMO Dragonball Z dubs were reasonable too, it's just easy to forget that because the series stretches what is really a 1-season plot over 100's of episodes.  However, Goku/Vegeta/Bulma/quite a few others IMO sound better in dubs to me, which is unusual since I usually prefer the original Japanese voice acting + subs.

I think a lot of the disconnect in most dubbing is that you don't really have the same level of direction when it comes to the characters; should the English translation have any directing from the original creative mind at all, it's still a game of telephone.  Because of that, to make a good dub they really have to have a director or voice actors/actresses that understand where each character needs to go based on the story and be able to figure out where the original author was going independently.  IMO this disconnect between the voice acting and the original creative source (which includes not only a language barrier, but also a culture and timing barrier) is the reason that most subs seem to show the characters more plausibly than dubs.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:15 am

I totally agree Team. A good voice actor is a good actor. The only difference is that they convey emotion more through speech in order to become another character on screen. It's still just a difference between good and bad acting.
    MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:22 am

The one thing I have to comment on in regards to English anime voice acting is how average quality has improved dramatically in the last 15 or so years.

There were a few stand outs back in the day... but dig up any of the old VHS stand alone movies that used to be the ONLY thing anime in the video store and you are guaranteed some wildly bad voice acting.

Vampire Hunter D (Original)
    Battle Arena Toshenden
    Fist of the North Star
    Samurai Showdown
    Street Fighter (Although still one of my favorites)
    Green Legion Ran
    And so on.....
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:08 am

Any of you guys watching Rwby?

The first episode is on Youtube now, with the Second being on Roosterteeth.com. It's rough around the edges, but I enjoy it.

Episodes are a little short, though.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:29 am

Slarg232 wrote:Any of you guys watching Rwby?

The first episode is on Youtube now, with the Second being on Roosterteeth.com. It's rough around the edges, but I enjoy it.

Episodes are a little short, though.

Good concept indeed, especially with MontyOum backing the action. Though as you say, it's definitely rough. It just needs time to expand and refine itself, since it does show promise.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:34 am

I just watched the first episode. Maybe I'm just tired but it was meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:23 am

hey its andres wrote:I just watched the first episode. Maybe I'm just tired but it was meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You weren't tired. It is pretty "meh." But it has potential if they can actually get things going and listen to feedback on their animations.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Yeah, though with just how much the voices changed from the trailers to the actual release, they are listening to fan feedback.

Also, remember that this is Roosterteeth; RvB started like this:

And is now like this:

They do improve their work.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:11 pm

I understand these now:
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:20 am

I have yet to see that one. Would you recommend it?

It's also kind of funny how anime can change my stance on music. I normally hate anything related to rap (save maybe Gorillaz) but I love this, for obvious reasons. ◥▶◀◤

Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 am

hey its andres wrote:I have yet to see that one. Would you recommend it?

Beyond absolutely.  I went to it because Kanon was getting kinda slow and needed a break.  "It's only 12 episodes and I've heard some good things, should be a good distraction series," I was thinking.  Finished it in 2 watching sessions and had to actually take a break from watching anything for a while so I could actually think about the series when I finished it.  The internet wasn't lying when they said it's "The Evangelion of the Magical Girl genre."

EDIT: And to save you some trouble since I took a while tracking it down, here's a direct link to the series. winking

hey its andres wrote:It's also kind of funny how anime can change my stance on music. I normally hate anything related to rap (save maybe Gorillaz) but I love this, for obvious reasons. ◥▶️◀️◤

Probably the only rap song I've enjoyed anywhere in any medium lol! 

Though I prefer this version (though honestly that's probably because it's only half-rap):

Spoiler:
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:43 am

Watched Sword Art Online the other night. It's pretty much just .hack, but I'm probably going to watch it anyway.

Also, I've decided to try and watch Eureka Seven.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:38 am