Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
Ostrava34
MosquitoPower
AnCapaillMor
Hatsune Miku
GrinTwist
Juutas
nsane32
Onion Knight
raecor14
Reaperfan
drdrack
Animaaal
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Serious_Much
Tolvo
Emergence
Bontee
SirArchmage
Encore
Soris Ice Goldwing
SadPanda
hey its andres
Hue
KrazykevS10
28 posters

The Top Ten Greatest Games of All Time

Poll

How was my list?

[ 2 ]
    The Top Ten Greatest Games of All Time - Page 2 I_vote_lcap12%The Top Ten Greatest Games of All Time - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [12%] 
    [ 9 ]
    The Top Ten Greatest Games of All Time - Page 2 I_vote_lcap53%The Top Ten Greatest Games of All Time - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [53%] 
    [ 6 ]
    The Top Ten Greatest Games of All Time - Page 2 I_vote_lcap35%The Top Ten Greatest Games of All Time - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [35%] 

Total Votes: 17
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

The Top Ten Greatest Games of All Time - Page 2 Empty Re: The Top Ten Greatest Games of All Time

Post by Reaperfan Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:23 am

As for the list in the opening post, I both agree and disagree.  Mostly on the basis that "Greatest" is a bit vague of a descriptive term for what I think the list reflects.  While "greatest" isn't necessarily inaccurate, I think the term "influential" may be more appropriate.  With the exception of maybe Halo:CE, Super Mario World, and TLoZ:OoT, they're all basically the codifiers of major medium-defining genres, or at least the popularizars of said genres that made those genres so big in the modern industry (can't really speak for H:CE because I'm not a shooter fan but my inclination is that the other shooter on the list CoD4:MW fills this role for current-generation shooters, with Super Mario Bros rather than World filling it for 2D platformers, and Super Mario 64 rather than OoT filling it for 3D platformers).  Anyway, just a minor nitpick about semantics of mine straight face

As for my own "10 greatest games of all time," that's rather difficult to come up with.  There haven't been 10 truly powerful games in my time.  Sure I could name 10 good or even great games, but not many that truly left an impact on me beyond the game itself.  From personal tastes, again I would have to work with the word "influential" but say games that were an influence on my personal development as a gamer rather than on the industry as a whole.  That being the case, my list would look something like:

5.  Final Fantasy VII

The game that made me realize I was a gamer, and not just someone who plays games as a hobby.  I'm not sure what it is about this game in particular that triggered it.  Maybe the deeper-than-average story, the time investment required, or the way it made me genuinely want to do everything in it and not just clear through the story.

4.  Runescape

The first game that made me realize just how deep the rabbit hole of online gaming goes.  Again, this is an influential list, and while I enjoyed my time with this game very much, it only is as high on this list because of just how negative it's influence on me ended up being.  I almost failed 7th grade as a result of spending too much time on this game.  It taught me that gaming can interfere with real world obligations when not paid enough attention to.

3.  Pokemon: Blue Version

The first game I played socially.  I don't think I really need to elaborate on the details of how all-encompassing this was top children in the mid-ninties.  It was the first game that I played to play with other people rather than just for my own enjoyment.  It was a bonding experience between me, my siblings, and my friends.

2.  The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

This game is the first game that made me believe there was more to gaming than the random and nonsensical worlds of platformers where you just ran through obstacle courses.  It made me realize that games can tell stories and be immersive and emotionally engaging.  It was the first game I felt fear while playing, and the first game that made me want to challenge myself to overcome these fears.

1.  Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

The game that got me into video gaming, set me up along the path of being a Nintendo guy, and coloring my preferences in games towards those that focus on fun first, fantasy second, and to a lesser extent challenge.  I will admit this is entirely due to timing and circumstance as it's influence in this regard is almost entirely simply because it came first in my gaming life.  The fact that it's actually a genuinely amazing platformer really passed me by at the time since I had no other precedent or developed tastes to base it on.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

The Top Ten Greatest Games of All Time - Page 2 Empty Re: The Top Ten Greatest Games of All Time

Post by Animaaal Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:00 am

Samurainova wrote:....... These are the games that have had the largest impact on the way I as well as others perceive and play games. They are the GREATEST by both technical and emotional aspects, and I would be hard pressed to find an individual who would disagree with the influence each of these games carry with them...

Boy, that's a HUGE statement.  I voted "meh" instead of "no" because I thought, "...well heck everyone has their own take, it isn't meant to be literal..."

I strongly disagree with most of your selections, and here's a list that could easily contend that sentiment:

10- Resident Evil (PS1)

09- Halo (XBOX)

08- Everquest (PC)

07- Doom (PC)

06- Tenchu (PS1)

05- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)

04- Mortal Kombat (Arcade)

03- “Agreed”

02- Super Mario 64 (N64)

01- Zelda (Nintendo)

This is of course generically using the template that MosquitoPower posted earlier.  Also, I think not only could your selections be argued, I think someone could shift around games on both your list and the one I made, making a case for another game being more influential in one way or another.

Examples of those games would/could be:

Unreal Tournament / Pac-Man / Wolfenstein / Oregon Trail / Donkey Kong / Ico / Demon's Souls / 007 Golden Eye / StarCraft / the different lists could go on and on and on and........
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:29 am

1. Super mario 64 
     2. Demons souls
     3. Luigi's Mansion
     4. pokemon
     5. super mario sunshine
     6. dark souls
     7. mortal kombat 9
     8. Phyconaughts
     9. God of war
     10. never played it but silent hill 2 (zero punctuation woot woot)
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:54 am

Should be renamed 10 personal favourite games. Otherwise the op just comes across as condescending, ego-stroking and arrogant self-pat on the back.

There is no 'greatest' list. It all comes down to personal favourites. A lot of those on the list are highly suspect in reasoning and have a blatant rewriting of their history. I don't know how many on the list supposedly revolutionised or made popular their genre, but it comes up so much it's almost cringe inducing.
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:26 am

No republic commando what is this?!
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:36 pm

this is really hard across genres. There are so many games I love for so many different reasons.

10 Fallout 3
    9 Super Metroid
    8 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    7 Red Dead Redemption
    6 Resident Evil 4
    5 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    4 Final Fantasy 6
    3 Dark Souls
    2 Chrono Trigger
    1 Final Fantasy Tactics

I think that'd be mine. With Shadow of the Colossus as an honorable mention. It was on my original list then I remembered Snake Eater, which totally deserves a place.
    MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Reaperfan wrote:5.  Final Fantasy VII

The game that made me realize I was a gamer, and not just someone who plays games as a hobby.  I'm not sure what it is about this game in particular that triggered it.  Maybe the deeper-than-average story, the time investment required, or the way it made me genuinely want to do everything in it and not just clear through the story.

I also agree that there is some kind of hidden magic that triggers a strong attachment to this game. It was the first game where I started playing in the morning and then looked over at the clock found it was already bedtime.
    "What the heck! I just started!"

Coming from a old NES background it was very strange to have spent an entire day in front of the TV on one game.

While FF1 through FF6 are good in their own ways, FF7 seems to be the one that brought it all together in a way that ANYONE could pick up a controller and have a good time.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:25 pm

These are all great games indeed. Very surprised tactics was your number one though
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:28 pm

MosquitoPower wrote:
    Reaperfan wrote:5.  Final Fantasy VII

I also agree that there is some kind of hidden magic that triggers a strong attachment to this game. It was the first game where I started playing in the morning and then looked over at the clock found it was already bedtime.
    "What the heck! I just started!"

Coming from a old NES background it was very strange to have spent an entire day in front of the TV on one game.

While FF1 through FF6 are good in their own ways, FF7 seems to be the one that brought it all together in a way that ANYONE could pick up a controller and have a good time.
    FF7 was the most iconic final fantasy of all of them. And all around it was probably the best. I'd have to say it was the ocarina of time of final fantasy games
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm

tactics is #1 on every list I make ever. Even my grocery list.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:36 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:tactics is #1 on every list I make ever. Even my grocery list.

You must have a lot of copies of tactics then silly

It is a great game though. I don't have the original but I have the PSP version and it's excellent. It's just got it's own unique thing going, whilst rooting itself in the final fantasy narrative style. To be honest I kinda wish they'de make another tactics, but they probably wont
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:39 pm

I feel the same way. I've still got my copy of the original, but with all the additions they made to the psp version there isn't much sense in playing it. I think it has one of the best plots of any FF game, and the gameplay is just so good. Inspired so many other wonderful srpgs too. Sadly I think if we do get any more they're going to be more crappy tactics A games. Really not a fan of the A's at all. The plots are childish and bland, and the gameplay would be okay if not for the stupid judge system. They pretty much did away with everything I enjoyed about the original.

If you're ever craving the original but want to play something new try Vandal Hearts 2 or Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis, or TO: Let us Cling Together. If you have the means to play GBA and PS1 games. They're all titles that are worth checking out and both series do a lot of the things right that FFT did. Vandal Hearts has less depth both in systems and narrative, but is much larger scale, both in map size and party size, which I like. The maps are pretty huge and you get a party of 12, so it's more like commanding an army, and TO is about the same scale as FFT as far as the battles are concerned but the systems are a lot different. I'd say more brutal too. In order to gain access to the better classes you have to jump through a lot of hoops that the hints for are very cryptic. Almost like a Souls series treatment of figuring out how to get them.
    MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:52 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:...Sadly I think if we do get any more they're going to be more crappy tactics A games. Really not a fan of the A's at all. The plots are childish and bland, and the gameplay would be okay if not for the stupid judge system. They pretty much did away with everything I enjoyed about the original

You are right on as far as the A series story lines...so silly...
    I have 99+ hours on Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and I did find it good for a quick FFTactics battle fix. Especially on long road trips.

What really got me was that they dropped the option of having different genders and the ability to NAME your recruits. I was really looking forward to getting the old team back together... but that was a no go =/

The way I looked at the Judge system was it was a way to keep the difficulty random and to more or less force team flexibility. Annoying... but kept me on my toes.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm glad you get some enjoyment out of them, they're just not for me though. I tried hard to like both of them, and it just didn't happen. If I'm on a long road trip and I have those handheld options I'll take any of the Fire Emblems or Advance Wars games any day of the week. I just have a seething distaste for the A's.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:10 pm

My TOP-10 (not in order really...)

1. Dark Souls
    2. Arcanum: of steamworks and magic obscura
    3. The Elder's Scrolls -series
    4. Metal Gear Solid -series
    5. Guilty Gear -series
    6. Tales of Phantasia
    7. Castlevania -series
    8. Fallout -series
    9. Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite
    10. Warlords Battlecry -series
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:20 pm

If we're talking the greatest games of all time and not going with our personal opinions wouldn't we be focusing on games that did something revolutionary or added something unique and original to the gaming industry, rather then games that were simply fun to play but never did anything new? Not to be a stick in the mud but I don't think I can make a list like that.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:59 pm

It's like making top 10 lists for films across genre. It's really tough because so many different kinds of films are so great for completely different reasons.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:07 pm

In no specific order except a few of them.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

Poke'mon: Platinum or the series in general

Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Yoshi's Island

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

In specific order:

4 Resident Evil [remade]

3 Dark Souls

2 Skyrim

1 Okami
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Circle of Moon was a good one. It was brutally hard compared to the others from that system, and I liked the card system.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:31 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:Circle of Moon was a good one. It was brutally hard compared to the others from that system, and I liked the card system.
    Which reminds me. I think the Castlevania series is going downhill. I got Mirror of Fate a short while back. And it was more like a fighting game that anything else. Not much strategy going on in it either.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Yeah I hear you. The last one I bought was Lords of Shadow and I could take it or leave it for those same reasons. I think the last Castlevanias I liked were the ones for DS. It's just not a series that's translated to 3D graphics well. All the really good ones were 2D. Although I did really enjoy Curse of Darkness. Don't know why we haven't gotten any more of them that were like that. It's like they were trying to find a formula that worked in 3D, found it, then abandoned it.

I've heard really good things about Harmony of Despair but I haven't done it yet because a big part of the game is the online components and I'm afraid I'm going to buy it only to find that nobody ever plays it because it's been out for a while
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:38 pm

I more recently got Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. And I really enjoyed it, but Circle of the Moon is still my favorite.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:43 pm

I liked DoS but I'm not a fan of the stylus nonsense they included in it. In some ways it made the game unplayable for me.

I think Portrait of Ruin was my favorite DS installment. It's actually probably up there among my favorites in the series. There are so many good ones.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Ahhh!!! I forgot about Portrait of Ruin. How could I?
    I enjoyed that one more that Symphony of the Night.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Man...anyone say Chrono Trigger yet?!?!?!....

...I might alter my list a little.....Look Skyward 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 3:18 am