Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
WarriorOfSunlight
chaosrave
RANT
FruitPunchNinja
vixder/pennywise
Po1ymorph
Rockstar2112
cloudyeki
SlakeMoth
Wade_Wilson
Tolvo
Yukon
Rin
russiannightmare
Rynoa
ViralEnsign_
EmoElmos
21 posters

Sequel confirmed.

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Sequel confirmed.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sequel confirmed.

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:43 am

Guys, while I disagree with Oo let's try and keep away from talking down to one another. I didn't intend for any of my posts to come off that way, but the lolipop line might have seemed that way, let's just try and keep this calm and friendly.

Alright Yukon, I can see what you mean about some of the linear areas. I didn't notice it in much of the game, but I will admit Anor Londo actually annoys me in that regard. I love that city, but going through it does always seem a bit tedious to me.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:45 am

@Yukan; Ok let's talk about that shall we. Reah in particular was done ok up until the point where she's randomly kidnapped & turns hollow. My first play-through I went to save her the moment I found out they've gone missing. You know save the princess bit. So I save the princess buy all her miracles & she ends up getting kidnapped by the channler dudes. Ummm ok she turns hollow from... being locked in a jail cell? Logan was in a cell as well but he didn't hollow? Why did she die? Why did I waste my time saving her only to find out she dies anyway? Why the hell can't I make her classmate stop calling me ugly every playthrough without having to cut his throat before even speaking to him?

The great swamp thing again pointless. He gives you a clue to basically a pryo trainer. Not at all story driven. Then dude randomly goes hollow. Then you have the chick who wants you to kill her mother, & the other sister who thinks your her sister when you talk with a ring on? Stroooong character development there.

Besides Reah & Quunlog(sp?) they all just seem like clues to hidden items more than actual story development. Like I said lacking.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:53 am

Well, characters are what drive a story arent they? Would you play a game where the only plot given was your character monologing?

Laurentius tells you there is a witch in the swamp, you look for her, find her she says her family has been turned please kill them. This leads to some items that explain the fires of the first flame, and helps to illuminate who your enemy is, gwyn, though the game tells you fairly close to the start who you have to fight, you slowly gather more information about him. Once you have worked your way through blight town sens fortess opens up (assuming you go the suggested route and don't instead open it with the gargoyles) Well, if you got to blight town that means you met the sorceror, he tells you his master went to sens and didn't return! Now you will be looking for him while you go through that area.. And eventually he tells you about Seath the Dragon, one of the major enemies in the game.

SO indirectly laurentius tells you about fighting the bed of chaos, big hat tells you about seath, reah and her crew tell you about nito, and the red mage in new londo tells you how to beat the four kings.
    Frampt or kaathe does the rest. what more plot do you need? thats already a whole walk through the game.

I don't mean to be offensive, but if they didn't put these little midways in the game (every game has midways) such as ringing the two bells before you can kill the 4 boss souls, killing the four boss souls before you can fight gwyn. Then the open end game would kill itself, you could walk out of undead asylum and go stab gwyn in his lower regions right from the start.

No matter what game you are playing there are always walls to overcome, thats what keeps you playing.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:59 am

Wait, did you take the great swamp to mean the blight town swamp? I always thought it a happy coincidences that Quelana chose to live in a swamp.....
    He turns hollow because you tell him about Quelana and he goes to search for her.

I'll give you Reah, seeing as she's bound to die (petrus I got to you first) but Quelana asks you to free her mother from suffering, and even gives you one of the best pyromancies afterwards.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:00 am

Yukon wrote: The the open end game would kill itself, you could walk out of undead asylum and go stab gwyn in his lower regions right from the start.
    Sorry but LMAO this is what was wrong with Morrowind.

Anyway I still don't see why the protagonist even wants to stop Gwyn in the first place. The main complaints I've heard about this game are about the story structure or lack of it & honestly I tend to agree. If it wasn't for the pvp & character/item customization I would have sold this game after beating it since I'd have no interest in playing it again.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:02 am

Reah also has more than one ending to her story, and it can give you a really creepy moment with Petrus if her story went a certain way, a way I was surprised by and got really freaked out at 1:00 AM when it was pitch black.

Oo, why do you think you kill Gwyn?
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:04 am

2 reasons why to kill Gwyn of the top of my head. 1) end the undead curse. 2) to put the guy out of his misery. Both told straight to your face.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:05 am

Oo1Zer0 wrote:@Yukan; Ok let's talk about that shall we. Reah in particular was done ok up until the point where she's randomly kidnapped & turns hollow. My first play-through I went to save her the moment I found out they've gone missing. You know save the princess bit. So I save the princess buy all her miracles & she ends up getting kidnapped by the channler dudes. Ummm ok she turns hollow from... being locked in a jail cell? Logan was in a cell as well but he didn't hollow? Why did she die? Why did I waste my time saving her only to find out she dies anyway? Why the hell can't I make her classmate stop calling me ugly every playthrough without having to cut his throat before even speaking to him?

The great swamp thing again pointless. He gives you a clue to basically a pryo trainer. Not at all story driven. Then dude randomly goes hollow. Then you have the chick who wants you to kill her mother, & the other sister who thinks your her sister when you talk with a ring on? Stroooong character development there.

Besides Reah & Quunlog(sp?) they all just seem like clues to hidden items more than actual story development. Like I said lacking.

I will reiterate my earlier point. The souls series is not the kind of series where it takes you by the hand and shoves **** down your throat because it assumes that you are medically retarded. Working out things for yourself, from the small pointers given to you, is central to the difficulty and charm of the series. Dark Souls in particular has an amazing storyline and its upsetting to see you dismiss it just because the whole story isn't displayed out in a cutscene exclaiming "HEY GUISE DIS IS EXACTLY WUT HAPPENZ IN DA GAEM"

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:06 am

Tolvo wrote:Reah also has more than one ending to her story, and it can give you a really creepy moment with Petrus if her story went a certain way, a way I was surprised by and got really freaked out at 1:00 AM when it was pitch black.

Oo, why do you think you kill Gwyn?
    Because I parried his sword & stabbed him in the chest?

PS: Can anyone explain why Reah's douchbag classmate keeps calling my toon ugly even when I took the time to go human, put on rare expensive gear, & or lady like cloths as a female?

Last edited by Oo1Zer0 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:11 am; edited 2 times in total
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:08 am

I don't know what people are expecting. Is it more appealing if gwyn has some cheesy final fantasy esque motive? I am bored to death of having enemies that scream to be spanked.

To me this game was a breath of fresh air, just because the "villian" was ... well what was he? He certainly was so far gone that it didn't matter anymore. He was a husk of a god. His fear drove him to drastic measures.
    The loved ones he left behind abandoned his ambitions or plotted a way to renew his dreams. The ending-- the entire story is so ambiguous that it lends itself to doubt.

It was just nice to have a break from the typical bad guy wants to take over/ destroy the world scenario that every bloody game does to death.

EDIT: in retrospect, I guess you is the villans!!

Last edited by Yukon on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:10 am

So you haven't heard from others that killing him and linking the fire would boost its power and keep it, and the undead curse going for at least another thousand years? That you can succeed Gwyn and keep the world the way it is, believing that humanity must survive and that the people of this world are worth keeping in this state if it means life for them?

You haven't been informed that Gwyn might not be doing the good thing. That Gwyn might actually be dooming humanity, that he is fighting against nature itself? That the age of fire is unnatural, and is his attempt to break a natural cycle, an age of darkness? That he's become so obsessed with using the fire and light to protect humans, that he doesn't wish to risk them dying off in an age that isn't their own.

Let's just say, in game you can find a lot of information if you talk to people, check items, read in between the lines of what people say, infer things, and even just observe the world itself. There isn't much of a story in Dark Souls, if you don't look for one.
    Rockstar2112
    Rockstar2112
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Rockstar2112 Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:10 am

I'm pretty sure Dark Souls has a pretty solid story, that's pretty damn obvious, actually. The main plot is exceedingly obvious in that you create it, basically. It's not based on any actual quest or person A telling you to kill person B to progress, like it is in many RPGs. It's actually one of the best stories in that you create it yourself. There's no background to go on, no previous hero journeys to draw on, you just get on with it and kick ***. If you were reading your own exploits in this game in a novel, it'd be pretty damn compelling to know whether the hero manages to navigate the treacherous swamps of Blighttown to kill one of the Daughters of Chaos, etc etc. The game does have a story, just because it's not structured and you have to apply a little imagination in order to see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:16 am

So no one is going to explain to me about Reah's classmate?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:17 am

I'd actually probably buy a Dark Souls book, but I really feel writing a book and giving away too much of the lore would kind of ruin it. Also welcome to the forums Rockstar!

What about her classmates? I might have missed something a page back.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:20 am

I mentioned it at least twice but why is he a douchbag & continuously calls my toons ugly even though I've tried talking to him as a human, in expensive shiny gear, & or dressed in female clothing. No matter what I do the first thing he always says is "Grrhh you aren't expecting to see my lady looking like that?" He's a F^cking douche. I sometimes slit his throat when he first appears just out of annoyance then get jumped which is always fun.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:21 am

Way of the White probably? The discriminate against the.... Not.... Living.... People.....
    Po1ymorph
    Po1ymorph

Post by Po1ymorph Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:21 am

This isn't a confirmation of a sequel. In the interview that those quotes are taken from, all they said was that they have been making dark fantasy RPG's since Kings Field and will continue to do so. It's not a confirmation of Darks Souls 2 or DLC.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:22 am

The one who calls you ugly? His only purpose is to DIE GRUESOMELY.

If you kill him slowly he actually gives some interesting dialogue, atleast I thought so.. Why do you assume classmate anyway? They don't seem like students to me.

EDIT: also, its likely you arent very sharp looking you have been crawling through sewers and swamps and fighting through dusty churches. Go take a bath in darkroot garden come back and he changes his dialoge, but avoid getting twigs stuck in your hair.

Last edited by Yukon on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:23 am

cloudyeki wrote:Way of the White probably? The discriminate against the.... Not.... Living.... People.....
    Yeah but then how could they tell when I'm supposed to be in human form?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:25 am

Polymorph, don't post dream crushing posts like that. I don't want logic, I want people rabbidly talking about how awesome the sequel will be. sad

They aren't classmates currently, in dialogue they say they used to be. He discriminates against the undead, even though he actually might be one, or at least becomes one in the tombs. Reah is definitely undead, it's actually possibly the reason she is sent here, to her death. in fact, those three might only be there as sort of a suicide mission that they believe they can finish. It always seems like people can just feel when you are undead or not. A good question is actually, which NPC's are human, and which are undead.
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:26 am

Yukon wrote:The one who calls you ugly? His only purpose is to DIE GRUESOMELY.

If you kill him slowly he actually gives some interesting dialogue, atleast I thought so.. Why do you assume classmate anyway? They don't seem like students to me.

EDIT: also, its likely you arent very sharp looking you have been crawling through sewers and swamps and fighting through dusty churches. Go take a bath in darkroot garden come back and he changes his dialoge, but avoid getting twigs stuck in your hair.

lol! you should also avoid hydra blood stains, they smell awful!
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:26 am

Darksign. I alway thought it was on your face or something, and that's why alot of the gear covers the face.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:27 am

cloudyeki wrote:Darksign. I alway thought it was on your face or something, and that's why alot of the gear covers the face.

I'm a *** idiot, I'm this big lore city guy, and I forgot about something so important that it is on the title screen, talked about in the intro, is an item, and something people speak about in game.

Look Skyward
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:28 am

Rynoa wrote:
    Yukon wrote:The one who calls you ugly? His only purpose is to DIE GRUESOMELY.

lol! you should also avoid hydra blood stains, they smell awful!

You also have to be careful, because havel likes to steal womens clothing off the branches while you are busy taking a dip. Thats why they had to lock him up, he was stealing Dusks cloths and hiding them at the far end of the pond.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:29 am

Yukon wrote:

You also have to be careful, because havel likes to steal womens clothing off the branches while you are busy taking a dip. Thats why they had to lock him up, he was stealing Dusks cloths and hiding them at the far end of the pond.

I hope someone wanders into this thread, and thinks this is actual lore.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:25 pm