Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+45
Hatsune Miku
IIdoneus
WaLKA
ResIsBestStat
jaythibodeau
Leet
Encore
Reaperfan
Noob-of-Artorias
Elite Knight
Kiva the wanderer
Seignar
Rainraey
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Argetlam350
Mr. Tart
Sloth9230
BLA1NE
KomradDakka
Darkson
sinisterapathy
WarriorOfSunlight
Serious_Much
Garl_Vinland
befowler
Katakato
Forum Pirate
Imarreteet23
vixder/pennywise
Sunbro4evar
DxV04
Uparkaam
jsd201
Zakkia
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
ViralEnsign_
RaSoul
nsane32
skarekrow13
berkut
PlasticandRage
bloodpixel
Tolvo
Digitalyzed
The Once-Ler
49 posters

What games are you playing now or soon? Current and upcoming games

nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

What games are you playing now or soon?  Current and upcoming games - Page 2 Empty Re: What games are you playing now or soon? Current and upcoming games

Post by nsane32 Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:55 am

Zakkia wrote:Mass effect 3, Skyrim, dark souls. Sometimes Lost planet 2. Usually the games i play, Oh, also Final fantasy 13-2 DLC

HOLY CRAP where have you been leader of WOW(not world of warcraft)
    jsd201
    jsd201

What games are you playing now or soon?  Current and upcoming games - Page 2 Empty Re: What games are you playing now or soon? Current and upcoming games

Post by jsd201 Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:58 am

I'm just finishing FFXIII-2 on PS3 then moving onto the Darkness 2. Playing FFIV Complete Collection on the PS Vita to kill time until the release of Disgaea 3 for the Vita next week!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:59 am

Hey plastic, how is Silent Hill Downpour?
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 am

PlasticandRage wrote:
    nsane32 wrote:Im going back and playing through Dragon Age Origins not the second one

I just finished doing that too. It was the game I used to peel myself away from DkS initially. Origins is so great. Alistair is one of my favorite characters in any game ever. Morigan gets too much credit. I think Alistair and Sten are way cooler. That game also has whats IMO the best merchant in any RPG ever. The lirium-touched dwarf in Orzimmar. He cracks me up every time he explains his lunch to me.

I also forgot to include that I'm playing Company of Heroes right now too.

I liked most things about DA: Origins, especially the fact that mastering the sleep and nightmare spells made you virtually unstoppable. The problem I had was the lack of respawning enemies, which made it impossible to farm and annoying when you reached the final boss.

Now a good game in my opinion was, and still is, Two Worlds 2. Try it if you haven't already, it is magnificent, unlike the first one.
    Zakkia
    Zakkia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zakkia Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:42 am

@nsane. School, work. All that jazz silly
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:15 pm

well its good to have you back

Ive played TW2 and its fun and played the first one not that bad either but a game that is really unappreciated is Too Human after you get used to the camera its awesome maby ill play through that again
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:08 pm

Tolvo wrote:Hey plastic, how is Silent Hill Downpour?

Sorry for the enormous chunk of text. I can't help being thorough when I'm asked questions like this. It's just the way I am.

All said and done there were more things that I liked about it than there were things I disliked about it. My opinion is pretty biased though because I love the series so much. I still don't really see what people didn't like about Homecoming. I loved it. Downpour really played into the opened world/sandbox feel that the series has flirted with in the past. The newest version of the town is the largest its ever been and the addition of side quests gives you reasons to continue to travel to pretty much all the areas of the town. The problems, IMO, boil down to 3 basic things.

1 - The revamped combat system kind of kills any incentive the old system might have had to complete all the side quests. Specifically the new system dictates that, aside from a firearm as a back up weapon, you can only carry one melee weapon at a time, and these melee weapons break eventually so you're constantly having to look for new weapons on the fly. In some cases it works really well. For example the combat is made a lot more desperate because a lot of times your weapons will break in the heat of combat and you'll be forced to find and use new weapons on the fly. This aspect works really nicely and adds a lot of fear of not being able to consistently defend yourself. Makes you feel very fallible and unprotected. My point about the side quests however, is that because there are no longer weapons that you collect and store there really isn't anything they can give you to reward you for completing side quests, other than trophies. I mean in a lot of them they will give you special melee weapons and things like multiple medkits. But considering the special melee weapons they give you break soon after you get them it isn't really much of an incentive to play a 4 hour side quest.

2 - There aren't, IMO, enough of a variety of enemies. Granted a lot of the other SH games only had maybe 6 or 7 different varieties and still made that work very well. Downpour's enemy designs are a bit more bland than in a lot of the other games. Something I always liked about SH enemies is that they always represented something. Like each enemy would represent the personification of a horrific way of dying or an aspect of the downfall of the town. In Downpour they don't really represent anything and there are only about 5 different kinds throughout the entire game. There's also no Pyramid Head, which for me is pretty blasphemous in itself. There's a new PH-style enemy, but he just isn't the same or as good. Something I always look forward to in SH games is the first appearance of PH and this one let me down in that department.

3 - Lastly there are a couple bugs that range from extremely minor, and not really all that bothersome, to the EXTREMELY obnoxious. While none of them are what I would call game breaking, there is one in particular that affects enough of the way the game works that it's affecting my overall opinion of the game. You know how in other SH games the town would randomly shift from the "normal" world to the " nightmare-esque" world? Well in Downpour this aspect is reserved for specific events and they essentially swapped the random aspect of it with a realtime weather system. When the weather is clear enemies act much the way that they do in other SH games, meaning they just kinda meander around individually and can usually be snuck up on. When it rains enemies become agitated, get aggressive, and actively hunt you in packs. When this happens your best course of action is to run for shelter, where you essentially hide until the rain stops. The best way to do this is to travel from one part of town to another by using the underground subway tunnels, which you unlock individually by doing certain side quests. The bug makes it so that after you do each side quest and traverse each individual tunnel the doors lock behind you again so you can never access them again. It essentially negates the whole system, which IMO would have been a good one had it worked properly, and forces you to travel in the open in the rain anyway.

Don't get me wrong though, as I said all said and done there was more that I liked than I disliked.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Digitalyzed wrote:
    PlasticandRage wrote:
    nsane32 wrote:Im going back and playing through Dragon Age Origins not the second one

I just finished doing that too. It was the game I used to peel myself away from DkS initially. Origins is so great. Alistair is one of my favorite characters in any game ever. Morigan gets too much credit. I think Alistair and Sten are way cooler. That game also has whats IMO the best merchant in any RPG ever. The lirium-touched dwarf in Orzimmar. He cracks me up every time he explains his lunch to me.

I also forgot to include that I'm playing Company of Heroes right now too.

I liked most things about DA: Origins, especially the fact that mastering the sleep and nightmare spells made you virtually unstoppable. The problem I had was the lack of respawning enemies, which made it impossible to farm and annoying when you reached the final boss.

Now a good game in my opinion was, and still is, Two Worlds 2. Try it if you haven't already, it is magnificent, unlike the first one.

I've almost bought Two Worlds several times. But I have a tendency to check Gamefaqs.com reviews on my smartphone at the store, and Two Worlds mixed reviews have consistently convinced me to go for something else every time.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Yeah, I hadn't heard the greatest about the game. It doesn't sound like exactly a bad game to me, but definitely a weaker silent hill game from the looks of it. I just looked up the enemy designs, what the flying hell were they thinking? Is one of the enemies literally a guy in a Halloween devil mask?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:08 pm

It's my least favorite of the series for sure. I never played SH4 though. Which I've heard is extraordinarily bad. Sadly those guys are probably one of the two better designs. They're supposed to represent prison inmates I think. They wear these weird constricting metal contraptions on their faces. Sorta like a Rammstein promo. The way they move is what makes them work so well. They do that weird jerky Jacob's Ladder-esque twitchy movements. The other one I like is a life sized doll that spawns invisible images of itself that attack you. They can only be killed by finding the doll itself, which is usually hidden, and attacking it. Everything else is pretty weak. There are a few "scare" monsters, like monsters that don't attack you at all but are just included as parts of scares, that work really well. It's too bad they weren't consistently that creative.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 pm

"Oh gee, I'm going to open the back of a bloody van, while the camera looks just over my shoulder, I wonder if something is going to jump up right now."

I hate those moments so much.

Imagine if they got that raven from Jacob's Ladder in game, scary. :shock:
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:50 pm

There's one really amazing one in Downpour. There's a sequence where you ride a mine cart train thing that's been adapted into a tourist attraction and it starts off feeling like it's going to be really cliche and lame but they really pulled it off well. It's one of the most terrifying sequences in the series IMO
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:51 pm

I actually didn't really like that scene, mainly because it was just so on rails. There wasn't a threat while playing, it's like watching a cut scene you have no control over. Outside of having to shake off that on thing that just grabs you with razor sharp talons, and waits for you to shake it off. It just didn't seem dire or urgent to me.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:57 pm

The part where the miner mannequins slowly got closer and closer to you made me really uncomfortable. I thought they used the fact that you were on rails and couldn't back away from it really well there. I also found the last bit, where you come up on the thing that causes you to start going backwards, to be really classically SH scary. It isn't explained at all, nor does it have any link to any other part of the plot. It's just twisted and weird and unexplained. I find that combination to be pretty characteristically SH; and I love it. I also thoroughly enjoyed the wheelchair monster thing. How they played into you only seeing flashes of it like through your peripherals, or on a tv screen for the split second your character is looking in the other direction. I really liked that thing.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 pm

I haven't gotten too far into watching the game yet, I'm at about I think...He just found out about the tunnels leading around.

I thought that thing was interesting, but I just don't know about it, the texture just seemed a bit off and not very unsettling to me. But I guess it's just me comparing the game to older Silent Hills. Which might be a bit unfair really.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Watching it isn't at all the same as playing it either. It really isn't. When you're sitting in a dark house in the middle of the night and the only light/sound is being emitted by SH it really adds to the feeling of tension and isolation. Like when you realize you were instinctively holding back on the left stick the whole time those mannequins were moving towards you. Stuff like that just doesn't translate to youtube
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:15 pm

Actually it does for me, but that's because I can just really put myself into the mindset of playing a game when I watch them.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:38 pm

You're not going to convince me of the truth in that statement.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:59 am

Well we have two different experiences and lives, of course we won't be able to prove anything to each other.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Since Dark Souls came, I've only played it and Battlefield 3. And I don't think I'll be playing other games anytime soon. I tried Skyrim for a bit but it was just not my cup of tea. I'm not really looking forward to any of the upcoming games. But I am waiting for the Dark Souls DLC of course.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Mass Effect 3, I know you said no souls series but I just got Demon Souls and my PS3 hehe and for the future

Will play:
    Dragons Dogma

Onceler, you should check this thread out.
    https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t3285-dragon-s-dogma-opinions-who-is-getting-it-etc

As far as KOA, very low interest. I am so picky when it comes to graphical styles. For example, I have never played a Bioshock game because I don't like the style they use for graphics.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:16 pm

I want to play mass effect 3, I have the Omniblade edition, but I haven't touched it except for multiplayer, because I just can't finish my perfect Mass Effec t 2 play through.
    Sunbro4evar
    Sunbro4evar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sunbro4evar Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Dragons Dogma. 'Nuff said.
    The Once-Ler
    The Once-Ler
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by The Once-Ler Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:08 pm

DxV04 wrote:Mass Effect 3, I know you said no souls series but I just got Demon Souls and my PS3 hehe and for the future

Will play:
    Dragons Dogma

Onceler, you should check this thread out.
    https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t3285-dragon-s-dogma-opinions-who-is-getting-it-etc

As far as KOA, very low interest. I am so picky when it comes to graphical styles. For example, I have never played a Bioshock game because I don't like the style they use for graphics.

This looks awesome! I had not heard about it, but I agree that the graphics look awesome. I watched a couple of other trailers too and noticed a couple of things. First, there is obviously multiplayer due to the red phantoms in the party happy
    Second, the combat mechanis look similar to the Souls series including rolling and lock on as witnessed in the one boss fight I saw. I am definitely going to check this out. Thanks for the info and the link.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Uparkaam wrote:Since Dark Souls came, I've only played it and Battlefield 3. And I don't think I'll be playing other games anytime soon. I tried Skyrim for a bit but it was just not my cup of tea. I'm not really looking forward to any of the upcoming games. But I am waiting for the Dark Souls DLC of course.

I think we're all having problems shaking this feeling. Since Dark I feel like I haven't really enjoyed anything else. Not for lack of trying. I've bought like 7 games since.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm