Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+30
Forum Pirate
dancash1808
SunlightCrusader
Uparkaam
Ciledaknuf
EmoElmos
Rynn
Spurgun
DxV04
Majikero07
Motopsycho
nsane32
Jotape
FinPeku
Shkar
Federally
eninala
TehInfamousAmos
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
DoughGuy
Tolvo
sunbro
Quarik
DarkW17
befowler
skarekrow13
Yog
cloudyeki
Brokewilly
Bamjam
34 posters

For the Glory of Alvina

DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 23 Empty Re: For the Glory of Alvina

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 17, 2012 9:04 pm

If they arent following buy a bow and some poison arrows.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Thu May 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Shkar wrote:
    Brokewilly wrote:
    Shkar wrote:Out of curiosity, I would like your guys' thoughts on low level hunters. I have been bringing new characters to the covenant at low levels (I have been working on a few characters to help low level people at later bosses) and I of course get beat on a lot.

Typically, I hope for some backup since it is near impossible to take on a 2v1 fliiping tank combo as a level 12, but what are your guys' thoughts? If I do get some backup, I typically just distract and take a few pot shots at one of the farmers, but is that ok since most invasions no backup arrives anyway?

Shkar - I think you mentioned you were on XBOX - if you are PM me on the forum your tag and I will send you a friend request.

Don't worry about your SL - just fight to gain levels (pick one of your hunters and dedicate them just to the forest - that way you can keep leveling that toon - you will need some resiliency to effectively deal with the gank. Unless you are a parry or BS artist twisted ).

When I'm dealing with a 2v1 I use mobility and quickness to increase my chances of isolating one of my opponents for a possible kill). I usually go for the host since that is your primary objective.

That is strange no other hunters, SoVs or reds are invading when you are in the forest.There are certain times of the day in which you should get back-up. Just look around in your world - if you see a lot of messages then it is a good chance the forest is very active also. Also, remember DkS uses lobbies instead of regional or a farmed central server (think of the on-line game as a series of high-rise buildings each with a lobby, each high-rise is connected by walkways and each room in each high-rise is a human host's world). There is also a ping server (e.g. control server) which interrogates each of the high-rises in order to determine who can enter each of the rooms). From time to time you should reload your game by exiting to the console screen then start the game again. Doing this may move you to a lobby of a more active high-rise increasing the rate of invasions thereby increasing the likelihood of help arriving while you are in the forest.

You are going to experience bangs just deal with it as best you can.Learn from the bangs and get better - you will slowly find your self dealing with bangs with a measure of serenity. Don't get me wrong I get killed a lot - those are just the odds of our job but it is those magical moments when you victoriously beat the bang and all the violent deaths you experienced would have been worth it.

Good hunting folks!!

Oh, no doubt. I have a level 200 in the Clan who I will start playing again in time, I have just been working on other characters. I also have this guy (!) who I will be attempting to enter into the Men in Tights as soon as my friend finally brings me his capture card (Three weeks! For the Glory of Alvina - Page 23 3596227959)

I was just curious if I was actually making it harder on you guys by taking up an invasion slot, even though in my experience the flow of invaders has always been minimal.

Interesting build - I haven't fought anyone using the cestus (but have fought two campers with buffed claws and I was cut to ribbons while under the effects of TWoP :shock: ). Now hopefully those cestus are maxed out in whatever way so you can do some serious damage once you get in close. You need to definitively post a vid of that toon battling it out twisted .

In regards to a low-level hunter taking up a slot - don't worry any back-up that arrives (or if a hunter is already in there)is welcomed by any hunter - trust me on this. When a 2nd hunter invades - its the "nervous effect" on the campers that I welcome. Campers tend to make more mistakes when they are worried about catching a BS, WoG, CSS, etc from a silent enemy - that is the magical nature of back-up.

Keep hunting, keep learning, no mercy for gankers!!
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu May 17, 2012 9:06 pm

DoughGuy wrote:If they arent following buy a bow and some poison arrows.

I may have to do that on my low levels, for the time they will be in the covenant. Sadly, it goes against Rocky the Fist's code to use weapons other then his fists (and teh occasional poisoned daggers, to sow confusion).
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Thu May 17, 2012 9:10 pm

DoughGuy wrote:If they arent following buy a bow and some poison arrows.

Yep DoughGuy is right on the money - always press the attack in some way - even if it is harassment tactics. Get a decent bow with some poison arrows and snipe them. Remember campers want the cheapest bang for the buck - meaning they want to kill as many invaders using as little resources as possible. If they don't follow you find a defensible area and start bowing 'em. They will probably follow you then.

Edit - Cloud I'm getting old bro lol

Last edited by Brokewilly on Thu May 17, 2012 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu May 17, 2012 9:14 pm

I think you mean dough, brokester,

Your main options are supply and time waste if you feel you can't win. Draw the fight out, run around like a drunk marathon runner, and if you can make them search you out.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Thu May 17, 2012 9:14 pm

I find that most have a DS Bow, so watch out for that. Speaking of which, I haven't been using mine in the forest...
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu May 17, 2012 9:20 pm

>rejected sad
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Thu May 17, 2012 10:11 pm

DoughGuy wrote:>rejected sad

@DoughGuy - sorry bro. I'm getting old as Mathusala :oops: . Edited post up top.

@Shkar - I do understand your conviction - meaning only using certain weapons. Like you would never see me wielding a BKGA or DSS simply because those weapons are just not my style. I played with the DSS some but found it too bulky - I have never touched the BKGA - I consider it a gank weapon.

Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu May 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Brokewilly wrote:
    DoughGuy wrote:>rejected sad

@DoughGuy - sorry bro. I'm getting old as Mathusala :oops: . Edited post up top.

@Shkar - I do understand your conviction - meaning only using certain weapons. Like you would never see me wielding a BKGA or DSS simply because those weapons are just not my style. I played with the DSS some but found it too bulky - I have never touched the BKGA - I consider it a gank weapon.

Oh no, I'm afraid you misunderstand me. That character is simply a theme character who uses only his fists and a few tools to help sow chaos in the forest, hence his name, Rocky the Fist.

He's actually based off a solely unarmed character I made in Skyrim so I could beat a dragon to death, if anybody is interested in a fun little anecdote happy
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu May 17, 2012 10:38 pm

Ive found the DSS works well as a primary when paired with the GSoA as my secondary (flame spearman set). I can control the field to setup for a tempest that'll catch atleast one person, bringing them to under 15% life if not killing them.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Thu May 17, 2012 10:49 pm

cloudyeki wrote:Ive found the DSS works well as a primary when paired with the GSoA as my secondary (flame spearman set). I can control the field to setup for a tempest that'll catch atleast one person, bringing them to under 15% life if not killing them.

Cloud - you (and Tolvo) are an exception to my rule - y'all can get a toothpick and turn it into a deadly weapon lol! . I guess my opinion about the DSS and BKGA is probably because I see them so often in the forest - especially the BKGA. Just like the heavy armors I run into all the time - I just say "Here we go!!!" as soon as see them.

Going see what's happening in the forest - need to get some practice fighting the gank.

Good hunting everyone!!

Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu May 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Brokewilly wrote:

Shkar - I think you mentioned you were on XBOX - if you are PM me on the forum your tag and I will send you a friend request.

I'll just post it here, so any other XBL hunters can add me if they want. I doubt I anyone will spam me or anything happy

XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic
    Motopsycho
    Motopsycho
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Motopsycho Fri May 18, 2012 3:50 am

So fellow brethren hunters. Do we have certain rules, or code or something?
    Do we frown upon any equipment or something?

Also today's invasions are going horribly lol. Just back stab fishing like crazy.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Fri May 18, 2012 7:46 am

Motopsycho wrote:So fellow brethren hunters. Do we have certain rules, or code or something?
    Do we frown upon any equipment or something?

Also today's invasions are going horribly lol. Just back stab fishing like crazy.

Motopsycho - the primary rule I go by in the forest is I won't bang a camper if he doesn't summon (be it a failure or success) or use tricks (lag stabs, lag BS, suddenly starts to lag). Other than that I try to have an honorable fight.

Also, you don't want to attack Gravelords (black billowy smokey flame around their center of mass) hosting in the forest. GLs are our friends in a way because they curse other hosts worlds (you can get cursed to by the way even if you are in non-human form) and create black phantom mushrooms on the other side of Alvina's house. I usually bow, drop an EoD and then Black Crystal out. Just recently I mistakenly banged a GL - he attacked me from nowhere plus he had the ROF on so he suprised the heck out me. My self-defense mode kicked and he was dead pretty quickly since he was wearing zero poise armor and armed with catch pole :shock: . I sent him a PM with my apologies also told him he needs to use better equipment before hosting in the forest happy and we became great friends. I even invade him later in the Burg through his GL sign and gave him a few EoDs. This is great public relations and increases the propability of victory for us in an indirect way (it is really gruesome to see a camper swarmed to death by big and little BP mushrooms twisted )

Here is vid of DxV04 spreading the misery on very well-known parry master:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miqBtyhYqw4

This is the type of enemies (i.e. BPs) we want to see in the forest.

For the Glory of Alvina!!
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri May 18, 2012 7:52 am

@Cloud I should hopefully be on tomorrow and I'd like to duel you. What SL is you hunter?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 18, 2012 10:06 am

Moto.....pretty much what Broke said. I think the only equipment cardinal sin is to not know your weapon. Most of us don't use the stuff commonly seen on gankers like Giant's or Havel's armor. I'm probably the closest to that gear since I use the Black Iron set. Cloudyeki has done a stint with the Moonlight Great Sword which is often ganker gear. I'm not averse to casting Crystal Homing Soul Mass before a fight or using all three Wrath of Gods if the situation dictates. The difference is what Broke pointed out. If you catch someone alone who wants to duel Wrath of Gods is ok but better not to spam it. The Moonlight Sword doesn't have to be used to spam the magic wave attacks. Some things will probably be based off of your personal tolerance. I'm pretty forgiving if the host heals or chugs estus but I won't argue either if you go into "kill at any cost" mode under the same scenario.

Also.....most of us will end up seeing some of the same hosts again and again. I do this and I know others do too......once you've seen a host deliberately ganking they're on the nightly list. If I invade them again I won't hesitate to tip the scales in my favor. If I see a person over and over night after night (there's a few) they make a permanent list of the same nature. There's at least one ganker that I will use any cheap trick save the band of that name against. The only disclaimer with that attitude though is that each hunter's list is personal and private. We don't share other players' gamer tags/IDs on here for the most part (Broke's feud is technically over Youtube and that guy was an extraordinary dink big grin). I don't know if you've read the old part of this thread in the Tomb of Giants Archive section but there's more to the standard etiquette there.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri May 18, 2012 10:11 am

Hi five for black iron Skare! I wouldnt say its close to ganking armour. I;ve seen one ganker total wearing it. It seems to be the armour limit for gankers. Everything heavire is used but not it.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Fri May 18, 2012 10:27 am

you need to step up your game, i have hosted(alone) in the forest today and yesterday and most FHs have been way to easy to beat. im not even that used to the DGM yet, and this build is only sl 80. sure most of them have been honorable but i can’t believe im winning most 2v1 against FHs.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 18, 2012 10:51 am

Sadly there's a lot of hunters that are on the same level as the gankers. We talk a big game about the covenant but there's maybe a dozen people tops who've consistently called this thread home and spread the good word and, as you rightfully said, upped our game. Broke has been on a mission to improve and his videos show a major skill increase since we started for example. He's a shining example of the covenant. I see a lot of "not us" hunters use all the tactics we fight against: waiting for help before attacking a lone host, spell spamming, can't fight without mob support, etc. Although I have seen a Smough/Catarina preference for flipping tanks as opposed to Havel/Giant's armors. Hopefully if you're hosting honorably and one of us invades we won't disappoint you.

Dough.....I made that comparison about me since I have heavy armor and flip. I might be more "OP" as the kids say than the gankers even in that I know something they don't seem to have grasped yet with my armor. I won't write it out loud though since I don't want to have to choose new armor.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri May 18, 2012 10:56 am

lol our little secret.
    Do you think the hunters can change? Can we undo the process of becoming the monsters? It seems like Broke has made progress on xbox (apart from one notable exception) but does the larger PS3 comunity prevent that?
    @Broke did you see the "ballad" I wrote about your victory?
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Fri May 18, 2012 11:55 am

DoughGuy wrote:The hunter appeared, finding his prey
    Alone in the forest, it wasn't their day
    With his pike of magic, and his blade of sunlight
    His foe split in twain, at the end of the fight

Ballad of Brokewilly

Hope you like it

@Doughboy - this is great:cheers: . I must have missed it earlier. I think every fighter needs a ballad (like warriors had during the Medieval period) to record his accomplishments now I have mine. Thanks - this means alot. I will make sure to keep a copy in safe place.

For the glory of Alvina!!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Dough did a good job. Much better than the breakfast song I wrote yesterday in the Random Off Topic thread. That recorded nothing of worth.

Dough.....I've seen changes a few times with campers. For the worse. The biggest changes were to learn some of our tactics. I used to find that no one had cleared trees and mushrooms. Now about half the campers have deforested. I still love it when the kitty cat trio are still alive though. I don't know how much of an effect we'll really have in the end sadly. Like I said to helooo....Despite the 8,623,004 posts in this thread, it's still a small amount of players trying to effect a huge host base and to make matters worse, a lot of fellow hunters don't bring a good game or name to the table......

Forest.....I meant forest.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri May 18, 2012 2:06 pm

DoughGuy wrote:@Cloud I should hopefully be on tomorrow and I'd like to duel you. What SL is you hunter?

283. I've been leveling like crazy. Hope we can duel.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Fri May 18, 2012 2:30 pm

hellooo wrote:you need to step up your game, i have hosted(alone) in the forest today and yesterday and most FHs have been way to easy to beat. im not even that used to the DGM yet, and this build is only sl 80. sure most of them have been honorable but i can’t believe im winning most 2v1 against FHs.

Hellooo - I think you may be on PS3 but if you are on the XBOX then by all means PM me on the forum with your tag so I can send you a friend request so we can coordinate a honorable 1v1 duel. I always want to get better by fighting someone who is more skilled than I am - hey how do you think Michael Jordan or LeBron James became better at what they do - they went up against people more skilled than them at the time.

Apologies for the poor showing from the hunter cov - hopefully you will encounter stiffer competition in the future. Keep hosting in the forest and one day you will run across a skilled hunter who will give you a run for your money. Prostration

In regards to always fighting with honor in the forest - I have slipped a couple of times in the past and banged a lone camper with no reason to :oops: . This always happens after receiving a series of brutal beatings from 2v1s/3v1s - hunter PTSD sets in and the only thing that will making it go away is a win at all cost. I have not had an episode in while now - I have come to enjoy the bang - win, lose or draw.Its a high to me now. I can also say I have became friends with the camper (I send a PM apologizing for my dishonorable actions)and can usually receive a good 1v1 duel from that point on. So I was able to turn lemons into lemonade at the end of the day cheers

Good hunting friends!! Fight hard and die harder that is all Alvina asks of us! Proper Bow
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 18, 2012 2:56 pm

That's why you're the role model Brokester. You regret it enough to send a message to the person.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:42 pm