Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Digitalyzed
User
skarekrow13
Chaos Spectre
jsd201
ViralEnsign_
WorldSlayerPIKA
Azran
Dubscythe
DoughGuy
befowler
Emergence
Quarik
KomradDakka
Imarreteet23
WarriorOfSunlight
SlakeMoth
Serious_Much
PlasticandRage
23 posters

Recommend a Game Thread.

Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Recommend a Game Thread.  - Page 3 Empty Re: Recommend a Game Thread.

Post by Azran Fri May 11, 2012 2:42 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with those that recommend Heavy Rain, Timesplitters Future Perfect (main story makes you laugh a lot) and Shadow of the Colossus.

Heavy Rain manages to trap you in its clutches. Even though once you finish the game you will find A LOT of plotholes, you will realize the story was so gripping that you just didn't realize there were any.
    PhoenixStar125
    PhoenixStar125

Post by PhoenixStar125 Tue May 15, 2012 3:15 pm

I recommend:

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) (Great story telling and characters) (VC2 and 3 are on PSP)
    Nier (PS3/360) (Great story telling as well in my opinion, and the first Square Enix game I've enjoyed).
    Vanquish (PS3/360) (Just a fun, fast third person shooter)
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Azran wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with those that recommend Heavy Rain, Timesplitters Future Perfect (main story makes you laugh a lot) and Shadow of the Colossus.

Heavy Rain manages to trap you in its clutches. Even though once you finish the game you will find A LOT of plotholes, you will realize the story was so gripping that you just didn't realize there were any.

Plotholes? Whatever do you talk about you mad man! silly

But you know it's being made into a film? They've got a guy writing the script as we speak
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Tue May 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Really? Whoa. I mean, there are some stuff that are GAPING plotholes. And other stuff that don't make much sense.

For example (don't read if you don't want the story spoiled):
    Spoiler:

All said, though, I quite enjoyed the game. I even bought it. It's just so different. And enthralling. It's a shame the rest of the DLC chapters never came out.
    I'd love to see a movie based on the game
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue May 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Anyone played the new Twisted Metal? I just sold my textbooks and I'm going to go buy something. I think I'm down to Twisted Metal, SSX, or Kingdoms of Amalur.
    Any suggestions?
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Tue May 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Meh. It didn't look like much fun and seemed to be pretty buggy to me.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 15, 2012 7:42 pm

Azran wrote:Really? Whoa. I mean, there are some stuff that are GAPING plotholes. And other stuff that don't make much sense.

For example (don't read if you don't want the story spoiled):
    Spoiler:

All said, though, I quite enjoyed the game. I even bought it. It's just so different. And enthralling. It's a shame the rest of the DLC chapters never came out.
    I'd love to see a movie based on the game

Stuff like the first option isn't worth bothering about, the number I can't remember now, but there was a reason that she had his number..

Number 3, well frankly both could result in what Ethan was experiencing, that's not really a plothole

4... how was this the case? his entire story was collecting evidence to destroy, and rarely do the actions of serial killers make sense really silly

I think the plot didn't have many holes, or even any significant ones really.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Quarik wrote:Meh. It didn't look like much fun and seemed to be pretty buggy to me.

According to a few Gamefaqs.com player reviews there are a couple of bugs but they're working on them through patches. I loved the older PS1 Twisted Metals. The idea of that in competitive online play seems like it could be pretty awesome.

I thought I wanted Kingdoms of Alamur for sure, but my friend who has it, and loves it, keeps equating it to Skyrim. Which honestly doesn't fill me with excitement the way it did before I bought Dark Souls.
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Tue May 15, 2012 11:21 pm

Digitalyzed wrote:
    KomradDakka wrote:Freelancer (try playing the discovery 1.43 Mod - a roleplaying server)

an open galaxy Sand box game, set in the "Sirus" system. You play as 1 of the games dozens of factions including National Forces of Liberty, Britania, Riechland, and the Kassari, or as one of the many underground/ bandit groups like the Junkers or Rouges.

I remember playing on one of the discovery servers as a fast response repair vessel on a routine patrol with a fleet of Navy Vessels when we came into a Reich War Fleet on our side of Neutral teritory. There was a massive firefight with lazers and torpedoes everywhere! one stratagy included one of our own gun ships using its self as a siege ram to destroy and enemy capital ship. My job was to zip around and distribute shield batteries and repair nano bots while keeping out of enemy fire. If the server is still up, you should try it out, if not, give the base game a try.

Freelancer discovery was, and still is, amazing. I remember getting a battleship on an Aussie server before giving it a break and never getting back to it.

I'll recommend a few, sorry if they've already been said:

Toy Commander (Dreamcast) - An amazing and unique game in which you play a third person war game, controlling trucks, planes, and helicopters and fighting others in large maps made of rooms in the average house.

Timesplitters Future Perfect (PS2) - Awesome FPS, one of the best I've ever played. The campaign is fun, the mapmaker deep and detailed, and the game modes unique.

Shadow of The Colossus (PS2, now on PS3) - One of the most epic games in both gameplay and music. You WILL love this game, no matter what you're in to.

Supreme Commander (PC) - The BEST strategy (RTS) game you will ever find, as long as you have a computer that can run it. This will be pretty complicated to new players, especially if you go into the game expecting it to be like Starcraft or Red Alert.

Crysis (PC, now on PS3 but no map maker) - Incredibly detailed FPS, with physics still challenged in the gaming industry. Many mods are available, and the game is great even without them. The mapmaker is so incredibly complex that you could create a map like the ones you may find in Battlefield or COD.

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne (PC) - You like Diablo? This is just like it, but there are more skills and class options, more equipment, more enemies, and better graphics. The voice acting is near perfect, the quests unique, and the game is a load of fun to play. The Immortal throne expansion makes it even greater, and the Gold edition can be bought from steam for £9.99.

Sins Of A Solar Empire, and its expansions (PC) - Second best RTS game around in my own opinion. Fun space combat, with decent graphics and massive, long lasting games. Mods can improve the game too. There's also a sequel coming out in summer.

Two Worlds II - Yes, we all know the first one sucked, but the sequel is quite amazing, yet never got the fame it deserved. The spell system allows the player to create just about ANY spell with a mix and match system being employed.

Borderlands (PS3/Xbox/PC) - Classic FPSRPG, with billions of gun combinations, scary and challenging enemies, and unique and distinct classes. This game is just everything you want a game to be, though the driving mechanic is a little annoying.

Rock Band series (PS3/Xbox) - Fun for all your mates, or family, or yourself. In the third one there's a keyboard included too, which makes for five players.

There are probably a few more games that I love in every way, but I can't think of them right now so I'll just leave it be.

Oh, and KomradDakka, which server did you play on? If it was the official one, I think it was updated, so all old things were lost unfortunately.

really? thats too bad... ill miss that junker gunboat... "Chuckwagon" i think it was...

;_;7

*sniff*
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Tue May 15, 2012 11:36 pm

@Serious -
    The last two were just silly things that made me say "What?" real loud. Nothing else. I don't hate the game, though. I like it a lot.

PlasticandRage wrote:
    Quarik wrote:Meh. It didn't look like much fun and seemed to be pretty buggy to me.

According to a few Gamefaqs.com player reviews there are a couple of bugs but they're working on them through patches. I loved the older PS1 Twisted Metals. The idea of that in competitive online play seems like it could be pretty awesome.

I thought I wanted Kingdoms of Alamur for sure, but my friend who has it, and loves it, keeps equating it to Skyrim. Which honestly doesn't fill me with excitement the way it did before I bought Dark Souls.

Welp, can't talk about SSX. I loved Twisted Metal too, so I rented the last one. It's... interesting. Haven't found any bug in particular, and the idea of playing the single player story in split screen is certainly attractive.

Now, Amalur. Imagine a game that mixes God of War combat mechanics, with WoW grindtastic repetition, broken production skills, and an amount of info dumps Tolkien would be proud of. It's got a few good things, like endless respec (you just got to play a little amount), an interesting combat system and fast travel. It's decent, if you are into action rpgs. I played it for about 20 hours.

Word of warning: Randomly, I got stuck in the air. Literaly. My character started a conversation with an NPC, and he was then propelled to the air, where there was no chance to escape the bug, except for fast travelling. And since you can't fast travel inside a dungeon...
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed May 16, 2012 1:35 am

It sorta sounds like a Dragon Age game that's an action RPG, which in my mind is a spectacular prospect. I think all 3 have demos right now. Already have the SSX demo, and it's a blast, I'm going to check out the other 2.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Wed May 16, 2012 2:41 am

Well my friend just stopped by with his rented copy of Street Fighter X Tekken and I must say that game is fun as hell and I would recommend any fighter fan get it.

Played Juri for 3 hours straight, prompted the avatar change.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Wed May 16, 2012 3:27 am

I bought it too! I love watching the amount of complaining this game gets in dedicated fighting communities.

I just hope Capcom doesn't go down the pay to win route.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Wed May 16, 2012 3:34 am

Azran wrote:I bought it too! I love watching the amount of complaining this game gets in dedicated fighting communities.

I haven't bought it, just played it, wish I had the money to get it though.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Wed May 16, 2012 4:48 am

A blast from the past 'Exhumed' on PSone. I really loved this game. Set in Egyptian Temples & Tombs. Great level design and a totally mad plot. Aliens had stolen the Pharoah's mummy (like they do) and it was your job to get it back whilst fighting fireball hurling mummies, pesky little scorpion things and other nasties and collecting pieces of the transmitter you would need to summon a helicopter to rescue you at the end of the game. Great and sometimes terrifying bosses and first person jumping on moving platforms over boiling lava. Oh and to get to the next level you had to jump on a camel. What's not to like!?

And, I forgot the destructible walls you had to break through using Amon Bombs.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Wed May 16, 2012 7:07 am

Dubscythe wrote:
    Azran wrote:I bought it too! I love watching the amount of complaining this game gets in dedicated fighting communities.

If I had to pick one and only one fighting game, SFxTK would be certainly below Ultimate MvC3 or Soul Calibur 5. But the customization aspect kind of beats the latter, and I've got the former. silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed May 16, 2012 7:34 am

so... I still have to buy tekken 6

I've been a lame fan recently :|
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Wed May 16, 2012 8:12 am

Azran wrote:
    Dubscythe wrote:

If I had to pick one and only one fighting game, SFxTK would be certainly below Ultimate MvC3 or Soul Calibur 5. But the customization aspect kind of beats the latter, and I've got the former. silly

I got bored of Ultimate MvC3 fairly quickly, then again I was too scared to play online because I'm trash at fighting games and didn't want to learn 3 whole characters.

Have you played SSF4:AE? I wanted to know if it was a somewhat easy fighter to get into. After using Juri in X Tekken I really just want to play her, and I can actually afford SSF4:AE.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Wed May 16, 2012 9:16 am

Well, yeah, having to learn 3 characters is certainly a steep introduction curve. And SFxT isn't that much better with tag teams.

SSF4? Nah, haven't played it. Thing with the SF franchise is the amount of tech it requires. And by that I mean; knowledge of things like frame traps, kara throws, and all that advanced stuff. I find MvC3 quite enjoyable otherwise, since most of the time they just simply ask for overly long combos.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Wed May 16, 2012 9:24 am

Azran wrote:Well, yeah, having to learn 3 characters is certainly a steep introduction curve. And SFxT isn't that much better with tag teams.

SSF4? Nah, haven't played it. Thing with the SF franchise is the amount of tech it requires. And by that I mean; knowledge of things like frame traps, kara throws, and all that advanced stuff. I find MvC3 quite enjoyable otherwise, since most of the time they just simply ask for overly long combos.

Bleeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh

I wanna play Juri in a non complicated game, gawd, when is Tekken X Street fighter coming out?
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Wed May 16, 2012 11:24 am

I feel your pain. It's either tech-centric games, or team games. Welp, it's the genre. silly SFxT would be perfect if it were 1v1.

Okay, maybe not. But it would help!
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Wed May 16, 2012 11:29 am

Azran wrote:I feel your pain. It's either tech-centric games, or team games. Welp, it's the genre. silly SFxT would be perfect if it were 1v1.

Okay, maybe not. But it would help!

Well the matchmaking in SF is good isn't it? I wouldn't have to be SUPER GREAT to win SOME matches right?

Right?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed May 16, 2012 5:03 pm

So I just got back from the game store, ended up going with Twisted Metal, I'll post my impressions if anyone's interested in hearing them. Anyway I was talking to the guy who runs the store, it's just like a little mom & pop game trading store, and I was talking to him about Kingdoms of Alamur/Alumar (whatever the hell it is) because I was trying to decide between that and Twisted Metal, and I realized that KoA is an EA title, and brought up that I didn't really want to give EA any more of my money if I have a choice. So he brought up that EA, among other companies, have started doing the thing where they charge you for an 'online pass' in order to play their games online, especially if you buy the games used, usually you have to buy a pass with them for an extra like $10 - $15. So he's implementing a new policy in his store that games where you have to buy a pass at all, used or new, he's discounting the initial game prices for the amount the pass would cost. How awesome is that? This is why you support your locally run stores over places like EB or Gamestops. You just don't get that kind of awesomeness in franchise stores.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Wed May 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Nice!

PlasticandRage wrote:Kingdoms of Alamur/Alumar (whatever the hell it is)

That there, was my reaction to pretty much every name and place in the game.
    To be honest, I didn't even think there would be another Twisted Metal. Black just went unnoticed.

Also, has anyone here played Fire Emblem?
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Wed May 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Azran wrote:Nice!

PlasticandRage wrote:Kingdoms of Alamur/Alumar (whatever the hell it is)

That there, was my reaction to pretty much every name and place in the game.
    To be honest, I didn't even think there would be another Twisted Metal. Black just went unnoticed.

Also, has anyone here played Fire Emblem?

I love Fire Emblem, I've played both GBA games and Shadow Dragon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:41 am