Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
DarkW17
Myztyrio
Artoriasflagg
ChizFreak
WyrmHero
Rudmed
Glutebrah
RANT
cloudyeki
Seignar
roanispe
IV_Mark_VI
StockpileThomas
somnam
greeneless
Carphil
Marino.
Lord of Ash
The_Flail
SublimeSinner
Knight Alundil
TehInfamousAmos
vatar5
BrotherBob
28 posters

Why you should always duel honorably

BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Why you should always duel honorably - Page 7 Empty Re: Why you should always duel honorably

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:03 pm

DarkW17 wrote:
    BrotherBob wrote:I just want to reiterate that this is my first account on this forum and I only posted about this topic because I feel really passionate about this. I just wanted to encourage players to be kinder and more respectful to each other. How it turned into this mess is beyond my imagination.

I wasn't even involved but read a lot of it and its because your thread is a very very very sensitive topic that's gets easily flamed!

I think personally your grossly mixing up invading and dueling please don't they arnt the same at all man!

In a duel you are summon 1st off ie the person accepts you into there world and there is a bow to show courtesy and respect...the fight should be somewhat respectful!

But an invasion is different these poor unprepaired people you speak of know damn well they are going to be invaded the second they walk into a world being human....the host then shows no respect to us invaders they don't bow and often run away....if you want a fair fight show it and you'll often get it....run like a coward and face a cowards death!

Getting invaded is a risk they must take if they want help...then they can have up to 2 extra people making it 3 guys to take on 1 poor darkwraith and come on man these guys are 90% of the time fully BB glitched guys making new toons!

I come from the demon souls community were red phantom NPC's had more skill than a lot of dark souls pvp'rs....I treat invasions like that I am coming to kill you period end of story....I do however follow my own honour code I feel is fair and allows me to have fun....which is the reason I love invading!

to say because someone should b left alone because he hasn't spent the time and lacks the skills or equipment to defend themselves is silly....they should do the world hallow(which is why that option is there) and practice there skillz on NPC's till they are ready to try the world human!

Just saying there is always 2 sides to a coin man no offense!
    Actually, I can say two things in response. First, in my original post, I suggested offline mode for people who don't want to PvP. Second, I find that invading is the best way to find a duel. I'm on a strict NAT, and when I invade at the Kiln (or often even at the Forest), a lot of the open NAT players seem pretty nice (they bow, etc.).
    I think that when you invade at "PVP hotspot areas" it's pretty much the same as being summoned via RSS because the hosts are standing there waiting for a duel.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Why you should always duel honorably - Page 7 Empty Re: Why you should always duel honorably

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:05 pm

cloudyeki wrote:Sadly playing for your enjoyment still means ruining someone elses in some way. It's best to just abide by the golden rule. "Don't *** their **** up unless they try to *** your **** up"

Or something like that. I fell asleep during that lecture.
    I'd just like to say that it is very much possible for both people to enjoy the fight. As long as you don't fight with someone who obviously doesn't want to fight, if you're courteous enough to allow all players to prepare themselves, everyone can benefit.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:11 pm

BrotherBob wrote:Every time you engage in a PvP situation, refer to this questionnaire.

Questionnaire for Invaders:
    #1) Why are you invading?
    -a) for souls and humanity

If you answered a): Obviously, you have never googled "How to farm souls and humanity in Dark Souls". Do that now!

#2) Why is it fun for you?
    -a) I get to see other players writhe and squirm as they face their inevitable death at my hands

If you answered a): You shouldn't be spending time with Dark Souls. If your therapist won't admit it, I will: you are an insufferable sadist! Seek professional help.

Questionnaire for the Invaded (hosts):
    #1) Why are you in human form?
    -c) I am looking for some PvP action!

If you answered c): Awesome, on to question #2)!

#2) Why do you want to PvP?

If you answered a): I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

#3) Why is it fun for you?
    -b) I think that it's a great test of my skill and my invader's.

b): That's wonderful. Now be honorable!
    First, i cut this into what applies to me... now lets get into something very strictly and clearly here.

Killing most of the boss monsters in dark souls awards oneself about 30,000 souls.
    Killing one player in PvP is worth 40K + souls, is easier, faster, more enjoyable, and less mind numbing. I PvP to obtain souls, which i use to level up to kill more people easier. You try reaching level 300 in 20 hours of gameplay just on PvE kills, good luck. I don't feel any guide should state anything but "Go PvP if you need souls very quickly". Nothing is faster.

I am sadistic. I'm a masochist, and i am also a very happy and productive member of society. PvP is the most productive outlet for sadistic and masochistic feelings i have in my life, so i will continue to kill people in a game, and they can continue getting mad at me for it.

As mentioned above, i am looking for PvP, in it's loosest definition, this means Player Versus Player. I wear the fog ring and i play assassin style, hiding around corners and backstabbing inattentive invaders whom walk right past me. This is PvP. This isn't a duel, and it's certainly not a teaparty. Then i get 50K or more souls for the kill, which is more then a boss gives even though i'm on NG +++

I feel this is a great test of my skills, and my invaders, but i am not testing our ability to dodge, hit, and dodge again. I'm testing our ability to use the environment and PvP in other ways.

Honor can go back to Demon Souls. It takes mens souls, and makes them it's slaves.

But perhaps that can be said of all religions.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:13 pm

But usually if you're farming for souls it's first playthrough. Meaning that the best way to get souls quickly is by winning against high level vaders (50% of the souls needed for them to level up)
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Rynn wrote:
    BrotherBob wrote:Every time you engage in a PvP situation, refer to this questionnaire.

Questionnaire for Invaders:
    #1) Why are you invading?

If you answered a): Obviously, you have never googled "How to farm souls and humanity in Dark Souls". Do that now!

#2) Why is it fun for you?
    -a) I get to see other players writhe and squirm as they face their inevitable death at my hands

If you answered a): You shouldn't be spending time with Dark Souls. If your therapist won't admit it, I will: you are an insufferable sadist! Seek professional help.

Questionnaire for the Invaded (hosts):
    #1) Why are you in human form?
    -c) I am looking for some PvP action!

If you answered c): Awesome, on to question #2)!

#2) Why do you want to PvP?

If you answered a): I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

#3) Why is it fun for you?
    -b) I think that it's a great test of my skill and my invader's.

b): That's wonderful. Now be honorable!
    First, i cut this into what applies to me... now lets get into something very strictly and clearly here.

Killing most of the boss monsters in dark souls awards oneself about 30,000 souls.
    Killing one player in PvP is worth 40K + souls, is easier, faster, more enjoyable, and less mind numbing. I PvP to obtain souls, which i use to level up to kill more people easier. You try reaching level 300 in 20 hours of gameplay just on PvE kills, good luck. I don't feel any guide should state anything but "Go PvP if you need souls very quickly". Nothing is faster.

I am sadistic. I'm a masochist, and i am also a very happy and productive member of society. PvP is the most productive outlet for sadistic and masochistic feelings i have in my life, so i will continue to kill people in a game, and they can continue getting mad at me for it.

As mentioned above, i am looking for PvP, in it's loosest definition, this means Player Versus Player. I wear the fog ring and i play assassin style, hiding around corners and backstabbing inattentive invaders whom walk right past me. This is PvP. This isn't a duel, and it's certainly not a teaparty. Then i get 50K or more souls for the kill, which is more then a boss gives even though i'm on NG +++

I feel this is a great test of my skills, and my invaders, but i am not testing our ability to dodge, hit, and dodge again. I'm testing our ability to use the environment and PvP in other ways.

Honor can go back to Demon Souls. It takes mens souls, and makes them it's slaves.

But perhaps that can be said of all religions.
    You're right about farming up to higher levels, but I was simply talking about players who want to hover at around sl 120.
    But, as I can imagine, winning constantly gets boring when its because of the same strategy. I keep saying that its just in everyone's best interest to allow everyone the same opportunities to have fun with the game. If you win all the time with the same strategy, you get bored and don't get the same enjoyment that you used to get when you first started using that strategy. So, it ceases to be fun for you and the host may get annoyed. Also, if you stick to the same foolproof strategy, fights cease to be an opportunity to find other effective tactics, and become rather redundant.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:26 pm

IF you continue to use the same tactic, your tactic breaks. These aren't NPC's that don't adapt. If i always hide in place A B or C, then i will get killed by repeat fighters. I need to keep finding clever places to hide, i can not be static as an assassin.

Similarly, if i always do a roll attack in a duel, i will always get parried.
    Reaching level 120 via PvP is still faster then farming; because souls are souls, your level doesn't matter, if PvP farms them faster at level 20, it farms faster at level 400, and vice versa.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Rynn wrote:IF you continue to use the same tactic, your tactic breaks. These aren't NPC's that don't adapt. If i always hide in place A B or C, then i will get killed by repeat fighters. I need to keep finding clever places to hide, i can not be static as an assassin.

Similarly, if i always do a roll attack in a duel, i will always get parried.
    Reaching level 120 via PvP is still faster then farming; because souls are souls, your level doesn't matter, if PvP farms them faster at level 20, it farms faster at level 400, and vice versa.
    PvP does not farm faster at sl 20. At high levels I definitely agree though.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 pm

BrotherBob wrote:
    Do you want to list any other ways that people PVP for fun?
    Dueling
    Ganking
    Forest Hosting (this is often the reverse of ganking, as a forest host needs to expect to end up fighting two people at once, and doesn't have time for a pleasant duel, it's kill before more people show up!)
    Ninja Combat (Ring of Fog, Chameleon, and other such stealth tactics.)
    Tactical Use of the Environment (Waiting near monsters to battle the host while they are distracted is one example. Or waiting at a chokepoint. Controlling the battle via the environment, rather then pure skill with your weapon; the Channelers Trident is built with this type of fighting in mind)

BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Rynn wrote:
    BrotherBob wrote:
    Dueling
    Ganking
    Forest Hosting (this is often the reverse of ganking, as a forest host needs to expect to end up fighting two people at once, and doesn't have time for a pleasant duel, it's kill before more people show up!)
    Tactical Use of the Environment (Waiting near monsters to battle the host while they are distracted is one example. Or waiting at a chokepoint. Controlling the battle via the environment, rather then pure skill with your weapon; the Channelers Trident is built with this type of fighting in mind)

A lot of that all funnels into one category of catching your victim off-guard.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:41 pm

BrotherBob wrote:
    DarkW17 wrote:
    BrotherBob wrote:I just want to reiterate that this is my first account on this forum and I only posted about this topic because I feel really passionate about this. I just wanted to encourage players to be kinder and more respectful to each other. How it turned into this mess is beyond my imagination.

I wasn't even involved but read a lot of it and its because your thread is a very very very sensitive topic that's gets easily flamed!

I think personally your grossly mixing up invading and dueling please don't they arnt the same at all man!

In a duel you are summon 1st off ie the person accepts you into there world and there is a bow to show courtesy and respect...the fight should be somewhat respectful!

But an invasion is different these poor unprepaired people you speak of know damn well they are going to be invaded the second they walk into a world being human....the host then shows no respect to us invaders they don't bow and often run away....if you want a fair fight show it and you'll often get it....run like a coward and face a cowards death!

Getting invaded is a risk they must take if they want help...then they can have up to 2 extra people making it 3 guys to take on 1 poor darkwraith and come on man these guys are 90% of the time fully BB glitched guys making new toons!

I come from the demon souls community were red phantom NPC's had more skill than a lot of dark souls pvp'rs....I treat invasions like that I am coming to kill you period end of story....I do however follow my own honour code I feel is fair and allows me to have fun....which is the reason I love invading!

to say because someone should b left alone because he hasn't spent the time and lacks the skills or equipment to defend themselves is silly....they should do the world hallow(which is why that option is there) and practice there skillz on NPC's till they are ready to try the world human!

Actually, I can say two things in response. First, in my original post, I suggested offline mode for people who don't want to PvP. Second, I find that invading is the best way to find a duel. I'm on a strict NAT, and when I invade at the Kiln (or often even at the Forest), a lot of the open NAT players seem pretty nice (they bow, etc.).
    I think that when you invade at "PVP hotspot areas" it's pretty much the same as being summoned via RSS because the hosts are standing there waiting for a duel.

You say they should play offline but yet suggest me enjoying killing them if they dont makes me a horrible sadistic person? That makes no sense being a darkwraith is a cov built into the game to kill people for there humanity....should I not strive to be the best I can at getting that humanity? It is a video game after all not real life man!

In real life I am a really nice helpful honest funny person....so when I play a game I wanna be a rutheless tyrant...it has nothing to do with what kind of person I am in real life tho!

You thoughts about finding duels through invasions is your own deal fair enough....I have 2 items a red orb and a red soap stone...if I wanna be a rutheless tyrant I equip the red orb and use it....If I want a honourable duel I equip rss and use it...to me that's what the 2 items are meant to be used for!

Why would you risk invading questers/gankers by invading when you could drop a sign to show someone you want a honour duel?

And ya obviously if you invade burg/kiln/forest the hosts are looking for duels of course...but I didn't see you talk about that anywere! Even so a dueler host will still treat you with caution and probably fight you cheaper because you 'invaded' his world you weren't welcomed to it!
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Rynn wrote:
    BrotherBob wrote:
    Dueling
    Ganking

There's really only two options here: fight your opponent on a level playing field (or as much as possible) or don't.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:45 pm

BrotherBob wrote:
    Rynn wrote:
    BrotherBob wrote:
    Dueling
    Ganking

A lot of that all funnels into one category of catching your victim off-guard.
    Catching someone off guard is 50% of the battle.
    You must be new to dark souls... on your first playthrough probably 50% of your deaths were the result of the unexpected. PvP is no different.

You remind me of a story.

The moons and stars were hidden from sight, making that particular quiet night especially dark. The town guard had to carry torches to make their rounds; but the man who came to call at my chapel carried no light with him. I came to learn that Movarth Piquine could see in the dark almost as well as the light — an excellent talent, considering his interests were exclusively nocturnal.
    One of my acolytes brought him to me, and from the look of him, I at first thought he was in need of healing. He was pale to the point of opalescence with a face that looked like it had once been very handsome before some unspeakable suffering. The dark circles under his eyes bespoke exhaustion, but the eyes themselves were alert, intense, almost insane.
    He quickly dismissed my notion that he himself was ill, though he did want to discuss a specific disease.
    "Vampirism," he said, and then paused at my quizzical look. "I was told that you were someone I should seek out for help understanding it."
    "Who told you that?" I asked with a smile.
    "Tissina Gray."
    I immediately remembered her. A brave, beautiful knight who had needed my assistance separating fact from fiction on the subject of the vampire. It had been two years, and I had never heard whether my advice had proved effective.
    "You've spoken to her? How is her ladyship?" I asked.
    "Dead," Movarth replied coldly, and then, responding to my shock, he added to perhaps soften the blow. "She said your advice was invaluable, at least for the one vampire. When last I talked to her, she was tracking another. It killed her."
    "Then the advice I gave her was not enough," I sighed. "Why do you think it would be enough for you?"
    "I was a teacher once myself, years ago," he said. "Not in a university. A trainer in the Fighters Guild. But I know that if a student doesn't ask the right questions, the teacher cannot be responsible for his failure. I intend to ask you the right questions."
    And that he did. For hours, he asked questions and I answered what I could, but he never volunteered any information about himself. He never smiled. He only studied me with those intense eyes of his, commiting [sic] every word I said to memory.
    Finally, I turned the questioning around. "You said you were a trainer at the Fighters Guild. Are you on an assignment for them?"
    "No," he said curtly, and finally I could detect some weariness in those feverish eyes of his. "I would like to continue this tomorrow night, if I could. I need to get some sleep and absorb this."
    "You sleep during the day," I smiled.
    To my surprise, he returned the smile, though it was more of a grimace. "When tracking your prey, you adapt their habits."
    The next day, he did return with more questions, these ones very specific. He wanted to know about the vampires of eastern Skyrim. I told him about the most powerful tribe, the Volkihar, paranoid and cruel, whose very breath could freeze their victims' blood in the veins. I explained to him how they lived beneath the ice of remote and haunted lakes, never venturing into the world of men except to feed.
    Movarth Piquine listened carefully, and asked more questions into the night, until at last he was ready to leave.
    "I will not see you for a few days," he said. "But I will return, and tell you how helpful your information has been."
    True to his word, the man returned to my chapel shortly after midnight four days later. There was a fresh scar on his cheek, but he was smiling that grim but satisfied smile of his.
    "Your advice helped me very much," he said. "But you should know that the Volkihar have an additional ability you didn't mention. They can reach through the ice of their lakes without breaking it. It was quite a nasty surprise, being grabbed from below without any warning."
    "How remarkable," I said with a laugh. "And terrifying. You're lucky you survived."
    "I don't believe in luck. I believe in knowledge and training. Your information helped me, and my skill at melee combat sealed the bloodsucker's fate. I've never believed in weaponry of any kind. Too many unknowns. Even the best swordsmith has created a flawed blade, but you know what your body is capable of. I know I can land a thousand blows without losing my balance, provided I get the first strike."
    "The first strike?" I murmured. "So you must never be surprised."
    "That is why I came to you," said Movarth. "You know more than anyone alive about these monsters, in all their cursed varieties across the land. Now you must tell me about the vampires of northern Valenwood."
    I did as he asked, and once again, his questions taxed my knowledge. There were many tribes to cover. The Bonsamu who were indistinguishable from Bosmer except when seen by candlelight. The Keerilth who could disintegrate into mist. The Yekef who swallowed men whole. The dread Telboth who preyed on children, eventually taking their place in the family, waiting patiently for years before murdering them all in their unnatural hunger.
    Once again, he bade me farewell, promising to return in a few weeks, and once again, he returned as he said, just after midnight. This time, Movarth had no fresh scars, but he again had new information.
    "You were wrong about the Keerilth being unable to vaporize when pushed underwater," he said, patting my shoulder fondly. "Fortunately, they cannot travel far in their mist form, and I was able to track it down."
    "It must have surprised it fearfully. Your field knowledge is becoming impressive," I said. "I should have had an acolyte like you decades ago."
    "Now, tell me," he said. "Of the vampires of Cyrodiil."
    I told him what I could. There was but one tribe in Cyrodiil, a powerful clan who had ousted all other competitors, much like the Imperials themselves had done. Their true name was unknown, lost in history, but they were experts at concealment. If they kept themselves well-fed, they were indistinguishable from living persons. They were cultured, more civilized than the vampires of the provinces, preferring to feed on victims while they were asleep, unaware.
    "They will be difficult to surprise," Movarth frowned. "But I will seek one out, and tell you what I learn. And then you will tell me of the vampires of High Rock, and Hammerfell, and Elsweyr, and Black Marsh, and Morrowind, and the Sumurset Isles, yes?"
    I nodded, knowing then that this was a man on an eternal quest. He wouldn't be satisfied with but the barest hint of how things were. He needed to know it all.
    He did not return for a month, and on the night that he did, I could see his frustration and despair, though there were no lights burning in my chapel.
    "I failed," he said, as I lit a candle. "You were right. I could not find a single one."
    I brought the light up to my face and smiled. He was surprised, even stunned by the pallor of my flesh, the dark hunger in my ageless eyes, and the teeth. Oh, yes, I think the teeth definitely surprised the man who could not afford to be surprised.
    "I haven't fed in seventy-two hours," I explained, as I fell on him. He did not land the first blow or the last.

BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:45 pm

DarkW17 wrote:
    BrotherBob wrote:
    DarkW17 wrote:

You say they should play offline but yet suggest me enjoying killing them if they dont makes me a horrible sadistic person? That makes no sense being a darkwraith is a cov built into the game to kill people for there humanity....should I not strive to be the best I can at getting that humanity? It is a video game after all not real life man!

In real life I am a really nice helpful honest funny person....so when I play a game I wanna be a rutheless tyrant...it has nothing to do with what kind of person I am in real life tho!

You thoughts about finding duels through invasions is your own deal fair enough....I have 2 items a red orb and a red soap stone...if I wanna be a rutheless tyrant I equip the red orb and use it....If I want a honourable duel I equip rss and use it...to me that's what the 2 items are meant to be used for!

Why would you risk invading questers/gankers by invading when you could drop a sign to show someone you want a honour duel?

And ya obviously if you invade burg/kiln/forest the hosts are looking for duels of course...but I didn't see you talk about that anywere! Even so a dueler host will still treat you with caution and probably fight you cheaper because you 'invaded' his world you weren't welcomed to it!
    How you play video games reflects the kind of person you truly are. It's been said that video games are a way to vent your inner feelings.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Why you should always duel honorably - Page 7 Oxqtc1

Not again...

Ok, things seem civil enough considering the context. Wrap it up soon with any final thoughts before we lock it up and store it with the others:

Why you should always duel honorably - Page 7 Trash-heap
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:49 pm

There is really only 2 options here; conform to my rules, or black crystal out.[/quote]
    But would you not agree that everyone should have the right to have fun in every fight? Some of your methods deprive people of that.

Last edited by Emergence on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please don't quote walls of text)
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:51 pm

I'm probably going to stop posting on the PvP forum. It's all the negative vibes, man!
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:56 pm

That's probably the best way to finish this thread off!

Why you should always duel honorably - Page 7 Apu-tyca-e1342877856253

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:26 pm