Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
VMatrixX
D3CRON
raecor14
Zeta Prime
BeeSeaEss
PhlyingDutchman
skarekrow13
User
Djem
The Duke of Jam
Astardbay
RedderAI
DoughGuy
dalsio
Darrus_Folkart
Shkar
Ghadis_God
sinspaw
PlasticandRage
Rarayn
Skarectum
RevolverSnake
Buggy Virus
Icegodzilla
vatar5
XKnightArtoriasX
AnastaciaAstora
31 posters

Why did Lautrec kill Firekeeper?

Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Why did Lautrec kill Firekeeper? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why did Lautrec kill Firekeeper?

Post by Djem Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Shkar wrote:Lautrec seems to despise weakness. When you invade him a second time (assuming you fail the first time), he says something along the lines of "like moths to a flame." In essence, he's taunting you. Who's to say he didn't kill the Firekeeper just because she was mute and crippled, and thus, weak?

I really liked this one. Gives me even more reason to kick the b*stard off the cliff. But I thought the Firekeeper was crippled by Lautrec before he killed her, she was not cripple to begin with, only mute?
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Why did Lautrec kill Firekeeper? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why did Lautrec kill Firekeeper?

Post by User Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 pm

... I think we talked about this before.

I hope you understand, he is one known for the love of humanity. Talk to him when you are hollowed, or about rhea, and he will tell you how to recover. Not in quotes:

"KILL OTHER PEOPLE"

Seriously. Firekeeper was not meant to die, since that orb of vengeance was left in her steed. Maybe favoured by one god, but perhaps not another. Still... you get to wear her clothes, and then you revive her... and she still has it one.

Eh. Lautrec was always a fave for the lore search.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:38 pm

Also, who says he didn't lose Fina's favor. Think about where his corpse his. Upstairs outside the chamber of the princess. That means he should have beaten O&S. So how did he die after that on a perfectly harmless balcony? Or is his purpose tied more to something less sinister with Chesty LaRue?

Anyway....I just popped in actually because we get a station here with a lot of Canadian advertising and a commercial that featured this amused me....

The real answer to Lautrec's motivations
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 pm

RedderAI wrote:Last time I fought Lautrec (Firelink) he mentioned something about being blessed by a god. Supposedly if he was doing something against Finas will wouldn't she remove her blessing? Which in turn means that what he is doing IS the will of Fina.

Anyone else thinks Finas got a inferiority complex with the other gods maybe even just goddesses?
    The ring of FaP is supposedly blessed by Fina, so why are you allowed to wear it and receive its effects, as Lautrec's killer? My theory is that Fina is dead and Lautrec is out for revenge. Fina does not sound like an evil goddess who would condone Lautrec's actions.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:02 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Also, who says he didn't lose Fina's favor. Think about where his corpse his. Upstairs outside the chamber of the princess. That means he should have beaten O&S. So how did he die after that on a perfectly harmless balcony? Or is his purpose tied more to something less sinister with Chesty LaRue?
    Lorewise, it's possible the player simply mortally wounds him and he crawls back there to die. In his world, he very well may have beaten O&S, but how does that let him summon and be invaded? In that world, he may have angered or had already been an enemy of Gwyndolin. Or he never killed O&S, and after the player killed him Smough dragged his body back to grind into his stew.
    PhlyingDutchman
    PhlyingDutchman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by PhlyingDutchman Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Let's not forget that Lautrec is extremely similar to Yurt, the Silent Chief, from Demon's Souls. Yurt went around assassinating a bunch of people in the Nexus at the request of Mephistopheles (also a mysterious woman), and her goal was to suppress knowledge of the Soul Arts.
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:36 am

sinspaw wrote:
    Skarectum wrote:
    RevolverSnake wrote:Because he didn't need her anymore. He is a selfish bastard, just like the choosen undead.

That's what I figured. Thinking though, he's found in the church with another Firekeeper's corpse - or at least a corpse with a Firekeeper's Soul. [Speculation mode: engaged.] It seems to be presumed that Seath's Channeller is in the church to capture, or perhaps kill the Firekeeper. Could Lautrec have killed her and been caught in the act? There are possibly bits of the lore I've missed, but I don't think it's ever explained why Lautrec's locked away in the first place.

This.

People, come on, 'just for humanity'? No, Lautrec is an evil character. He looks half-decent, and also helps you in two boss fights, but there's something very wrong about him. Like Skarectum mentioned, he is found locked up in a church cell which currently has a Fire Keeper's cadaver in its altar. Coincidence? I wouldn't say so. You release him, he tells you he's gonna give you a gift later. Of all the places in Firelink Shrine he chooses to sit right by the Fire Keeper. If you speak to him before he does it, he might occasionally say she pisses him off, then you come back later and she's dead. This man is for some reason, hunting Fire Keepers. Plus that gets me wondering, is that 'his' gift to us? Dispatching a Fire Keeper? If so, what is he trying to say? That we're better off without Fire Keepers? I don't know. It's definitely not as simple as 'he just wanted humanity'.

i know this is old but I have to correct you, after I beat the tomb of Giants and I talked to patches with the talk display, he asked me if I heard about lautrec and patches said that we should stay away from him if we have any HUMANITY to spare, and firekeeper souls, in the description, have infinite humanity, thus lautrec is going for the humanity. that seems more reasonable but he may be doing it for his god. that doesn't mean he is not trying to get revenge on the gods that is just the reason he killed the firekeeper
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:18 am

Funny, Lautrec always told me aliens killed the firekeeper..
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:25 am

well as we all know all undead are chosen, its no status if you listen to oscars story he tells you. in my eyes hes there to tell the player what kathee dose, but because hes a new and sus NPC you instantly do not trust him so in the end he dies, he to me was placed there to begin the players question of the gods.
    D3CRON
    D3CRON

Post by D3CRON Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:37 pm

raecor14 wrote:well as we all know all undead are chosen, its no status if you listen to oscars story he tells you. in my eyes hes there to tell the player what kathee dose, but because hes a new and sus NPC you instantly do not trust him so in the end he dies, he to me was placed there to begin the players question of the gods.
    I agree in the regard all the undead are kind of "chosen", but if you look at it every "chosen" undead has his or her own purpose. For example look at Solaire he has his journey to find his own sun (and possibly be the one to link to the flame). And Lautrec's "chosen" status is driven by Fiona in a sense of revenge or the fact he tries to become a god to be with her.(atleast that my kind of theory).
    VMatrixX
    VMatrixX
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by VMatrixX Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:47 pm

I think lautrec killed the firekeeper because he did not need her anymore. once you ring both bells he sets of to anor londo, but before he leaves he cuts any loose and ends, one being the firekeeper.

conclusion: Lautrecs an ***...
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:44 pm

^Then why does he not come after the player?
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:23 am

I dont think his "gift" is to kill the firekeeper. Hes just evil, he even laughs when he speaks of that. I think he kill her because he needs the humanity and plus, he can. He's just evil, and doesnt give a **** about people.

And about how did he end in the cell i never tought about him killing a firekeeper in the altar but seems very possible. Maybe hes harvesting enough humanity to give it to his goddess.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:12 am

Lautrec mocks the player when you invade him in Anor Londo. "Like moths to the flame." It's obvious he is just sitting there murdering everyone that comes by with the help of his two partners. It's obvious that someone took the effort to lock him up. It's obvious that he wasn't killing the firekeeper out of any kind of kindness.

It's obvious that he is evil.

Too me, it seems that if we were to ask Lautrec why he killed the firekeeper, his response would be, "Why not?"
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:45 am

Actually, he says, 'like a moth, flittering towards a flame." That is singular, and the descriptions from his gear do suggest that he is doing something very specific in Lordran. It's not a matter of 'why not'.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:06 am

Acarnatia wrote:Actually, he says, 'like a moth, flittering towards a flame." That is singular, and the descriptions from his gear do suggest that he is doing something very specific in Lordran. It's not a matter of 'why not'.

I'll yield on that quote, but if you fail too kill him (might be multiple times, I can't remember) and try again, his "greeting" changes to, "Oh look, another one. How many times will these lambs rush to slaughter?" And if anything, his armor seems to reject the idea of a specific goal, as it refers to him being in "solitude" and "forsaking everything."

As an aside, has anybody else noticed that Lautrec refers to Rhea as, "Lady Thorolund"? I believe Patches or Petrus (one of them) refers to her as a princes. Perhaps it's not just an insult?
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:11 am

i think he is a good guy. he's not EVIL at the very least he just see's that his goal means more than most others, he can see that your goal means even more than hiss, but then when he see's that your only serving the god's hes like "well lets stab him in the face a few times"
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:54 am

Shkar wrote:
    As an aside, has anybody else noticed that Lautrec refers to Rhea as, "Lady Thorolund"? I believe Patches or Petrus (one of them) refers to her as a princes. Perhaps it's not just an insult?

Reah is from a royal family. I'm pretty sure that was made clear.

Edit: She's the youngest daughter of the House of Thoruland to be exact.

But anyway, Lautrec doesn't actually want to fight/kill the player. He starts the quote you gave with:

"I thought you were wiser, but I thought wrong!
    Tis a terrible pity."

Or if you attack him after freeing him he says

"You leave me no choice.
    I was once grateful to you,
    But if this is our fate, so be it!"

So while he isn't trying to kill you in particular, he does realize that it's you or him.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 am

Sloth9230 wrote:
    Shkar wrote:

Reah is from a royal family. I'm pretty sure that was made clear.

Edit: She's the youngest daughter of the House of Thoruland to be exact.

But anyway, Lautrec doesn't actually want to fight/kill the player. He starts the quote you gave with:

"I thought you were wiser, but I thought wrong!
    Tis a terrible pity."

Or if you attack him after freeing him he says

"You leave me no choice.
    I was once grateful to you,
    But if this is our fate, so be it!"

So while he isn't trying to kill you in particular, he does realize that it's you or him.

I missed where it specifically says her backstory, so that part is new to me (that it was actually confirmed).

Back on Lautrec, it doesn't matter if he is specifically trying to kill the player. Why would he? To the vast majority of the characters, we are nothing special. The covenant leaders would be trying much harder to ensure our loyalty if we were. On the contrary, however, Lautrec is (typically) rescued by the player. It makes sense that he would feel some sort of gratitude.

But the fact remains, he is "slaughtering" invaders (ganking, to use a player term) and he murdered a (so far as we know) innocent woman who not only meant him no harm, but was incapable of even trying. That's essentially the very definition of evil: killing defenseless, peaceful bystanders.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:58 am

Well clearly the guy is evil, but the question is; what is his reason for doing those things? I doubt that's simple sh*ts & giggles.

Kirk for instance. He kills people for their humanity, but he does it to help the daughter of chaos. There's a reason this trope exists.

It's part of Petrus's Dialogue
    VMatrixX
    VMatrixX
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by VMatrixX Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:48 am

Acarnatia wrote:^Then why does he not come after the player?

He needs you to ring the bells, once you have, he kills the firekeeper and leaves while you are in blighttown/Undead parish
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:22 am

This topic pleases me. happy

I have wondered less about Lautrec than one would think because he is my favorite character. This is probably because I feel that his intentions are very clear.

Knight Lautrec is a fellow Undead in the land of Lordran. I believe he was in the church for two reasons. The first is all them loots. I think the Firekeeper Soul was of course priority number one. The second is to see Oswald! A fellow "Carimian?"! Unfortunately he was captured and put in a cell. This is where his armor description comes into play. He helmet, gauntlets, and leggings all say the same. "During his solitude, he forsook everything, for he believed in the goddess's love for him." He was driven mad, locked away in a cell.

After being freed, he goes to co-op the Gargolyes to see Oswald, ring the bell, and make his way towards the city of the gods. He gives you a useless Sunlight Medal after the fact.

The reason I think he killed the Firekeeper is because he simple doesn't care. Lautrec doesn't have much depth. He simply wants humanity whenever possible. He's decided that nothing he does can affect the goddess's love for him. He knows that your character is on the journey to Anor Londo too. He kills the Firekeeper, and sets up a meeting for you. He waits for you in Anor Londo with two buddies and the door sealed. He mocks you, to him you are just lambs rushing to slaughter.

He is truly mad or perhaps incredibly sane. He's just like your character except he will do whatever he wants to.

Another reason he may kill her is because she pisses him off. She reminds him of being locked up in Undead Parish. He was behind bars knowing there was a Firekeeper soul on the other side, taunting him, driving him mad. Anatasica is a Firekeeper locked away behind bars.. It probably somehow reminds the cheeky bastard of being locked up

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:17 am