Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
Emergence
aprilmanha
AzureCrow
Slarg232
Hurtlocker14
xtal84
Onion Knight
RAITIR
Rudmed
Tomhet
BIG TIME MASTER
Odinbear
Marino.
BLA1NE
bloodpixel
DoughGuy
steveswede
Aznul
Phoenix Rising
Minorino
24 posters

Could an easy mode in next Souls work like this?

Minorino
    Minorino
    Casual
    Casual

Could an easy mode in next Souls work like this? Empty Could an easy mode in next Souls work like this?

Post by Minorino Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Let me start off by saying I don´t think an easy mode in the next souls game is a good idea. As many others do, I think the difficulty should be unchangeable; it adds to the experience.

However, some people seem to want the option, and I had this idea, What if you could set the difficulty to easy, but it would only affect the first area of the game? I´ll use Undead Burg from Dark Souls as an example (I don´t think Undead Asylum has enough content).

Choosing easy mode would let you play through the Undead Burg up to and including the Taurus Demon with decreased enemy health and damage, as well as with additional tutorials. However, you would gain less souls and would not have access to all items in the area. Once you had defeated the boss, there would be a fog gate, and going through it would inform you that the difficulty would be raised from here on out, maybe you could also choose to replay the area again without easy mode. If you opted not to play on easy, the game would progress as usual.

I think this might give new players a chance to adapt and learn the systems.

What do you guys think? I know this is an infected issue; I just wanted to add my thoughts.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Could an easy mode in next Souls work like this? Empty Re: Could an easy mode in next Souls work like this?

Post by Phoenix Rising Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:49 pm

I suppose it would work if, when you start a new game, to choose either "with tutorial" or "without tutorial". That would lessen the learning curve for new players, while keeping the difficulty of the game the same.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Could an easy mode in next Souls work like this? Empty Re: Could an easy mode in next Souls work like this?

Post by Aznul Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:55 pm

It seems a large issue has been that some players are not seeing the messages in the undead asylum strictly as a "tutorial" and ignore them. This leads them to knowing none of the controls which makes things significantly more difficult. Also, I like that you expressed that the majority of the game would be unchanged. If there was a true "easy mode"it probably would not be a real souls game. Dark souls is do-able but challenging right from the start, and that is one of the reasons why I got into it. I guess the question is whether or not there needs to be a dedicated tutorial that can hinder the progression of experienced players. I think that it is entirely unneccessary. The idea of the successor to the most brutally fair game I have ever played having an easy mode? Rather ridiculous. People love it as a whole including the difficulty, and sometimes because of that. The people looking for an easy game do not necessarily have to be catered to. There are plenty of other games out there for those who either do not want to or can not handle the difficulty of this type of game.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:23 pm

I don't know why some people want an easy mode as it's already there. First playthrough is easy mode. Normal mode is NG+.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Wait. You're idea is to give people easier enemies, and less souls for a bit, then suddenly throw them into the real DkS, at a lower level expecting less damage? Sorry I dont think that would work at all. Maybe if you did it in a separate area, like a single extra level you played through, but not as part of the game itself.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Nah.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:21 pm

I don't even want to consider this.

No offense, OP--I read your suggestion, and I usually respect people's suggestions and, whether I support them or not, give arguments and constructive criticism to go along with my opinion... But in this case, no! I refuse to even consider the possible implementation of an easy mode in a Souls game.

To put it simply: Demon's and Dark Souls, along with maybe 1 or 2 other games this gen, are the very thin thread holding me onto gaming. Call me an elitist, say it in the most derogatory way you can, but DAMN IT I PLAY DARK SOULS BECAUSE IT'S NOT FOR NOOBS.

So few games nowadays are for core gamers--if we lose this one... well, I don't want to consider it. So I will not offer arguments or criticism, constructive or otherwise, sorry!
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 am

We all learned how to play the Game ourselfes .
    I want everyone to have as much fun as me while learning how to play the Game and eventually mastering it .
    Easy mode (no matter what kind) would destroy this experience and i dont want anyone to miss out on it .
    So nah
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:13 am

Too much thought going on in these forums about making a good challenging game easier. Easy mode is inviting 2 phantoms to squish a boss. Nuff said.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:15 am

It would simply sacrifice too much of the core mechanics and "soul" of the game that make it great. It is punishing you for your mistakes and rewarding your successes from the very start. Taking that away, it just makes the game irrelevant to both the ones looking for an easier game and the ones looking for another true souls game.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:50 am

Absolutely not. Easy mode is watching youtube videos, consulting wiki, talking with your friends, summoning help.

DKS made a fortune, DES was a smash hit. Why should they need to appeal to more people? Greed?
    Tomhet
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:15 am

No easy mode in any way, this game is supposed to be punishing.
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Rudmed Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:00 am

I think the game would be alot more entertaining if they threw us, naked, armed with a broken weapon, against drakes on NG++.

Only those truly worthy would survive.
    RAITIR
    RAITIR

Post by RAITIR Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:52 am

Both demons and dark have easymode tutorials - and then they'll pit you against the tutorial boss big grin

I'll never forget my first encounter with the vanguard... Look Skyward
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:09 pm

An easy mode wouldn't work in any souls game, period.
    xtal84
    xtal84
    Regular
    Regular

Post by xtal84 Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:28 pm

steveswede wrote:I don't know why some people want an easy mode as it's already there. First playthrough is easy mode. Normal mode is NG+.

Pretty much this. "Easy mode" is built into the game. It's reading environmental clues; It's upgrading your weapons and armor; It's summoning Solaire, Lautrec, Beatrice, Mildred, Tarkus and other human players.

It's learning to play the game the way it was meant to be played: progress through struggle.

There can't be an easy mode; if there is, you're not playing a Souls game.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Could also say easy mode is the option to run from the asylum demon the first time silly. But really it is just the first playthrough teaches you what you need to know, and the rest is there for the real challenge.
    Hurtlocker14
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Hurtlocker14 Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:03 pm

I believe that an easy mode in this game is a horrible idea. I like playing difficult games because it gives you a sense of reward and accomplishment when you beat the game. I think the game just needs to an open co op style. Like you can use your friends help even after bosses.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:19 pm

I had a thought for an easy mode, figured I would share it; Grant people the option of starting with their gear at +2-+4, allowing them to have an easier time earlier on. However, also give them green phantoms online so we know who the cowards are.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Slarg232 wrote:I had a thought for an easy mode, figured I would share it; Grant people the option of starting with their gear at +2-+4, allowing them to have an easier time earlier on. However, also give them green phantoms online so we know who the cowards are.

Good one. But still, we don' t need no stinking ez mode. Hehe

:pirat:
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Agreed, no ez mode for me, though this would work very well as one.
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:20 pm

steveswede wrote:I don't know why some people want an easy mode as it's already there. First playthrough is easy mode. Normal mode is NG+.

^This^

I'm a strong believer that "IF" I say "IFF" a difficulty mode where introduced the only way it would happen is if they designed and balanced a flawless sequel to the souls series with standard difficulty we all know and love and labeled it something related to the game like Soul mode for DeS or Hollow for DkS.

Then there would be another mode called Human available from start where enemies would be faster, stronger (more of an attack boost than defense or health) and all player weapons/spells would exhibit better scaling.

I don't like how games with difficulties claim the hard mode is "the indented game", but Souls isn't any normal game, you'd start up Human mode and before anything there would be a quote from Miyazaki saying "We got a lot of feed back saying players wanted an easier game, so I thought we should show them a hard one."
    aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:59 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:Absolutely not. Easy mode is watching youtube videos, consulting wiki, talking with your friends, summoning help.

DKS made a fortune, DES was a smash hit. Why should they need to appeal to more people? Greed?

Maybe so that they can finance another game.

Just make the game easier and give people the option to start on NG+ right away if they choose. The people who are not good enough to pick it up quickly will get to ease into it and then progress rather then be turned away for not being good enough to join in.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:01 pm

They've got more than enough money to finance another game, with the format they already have. From also makes a lot more than just Souls games and now they have a guaranteed publisher with Namco Bandai, who seem to be pretty happy marketing to the more hardcore gamer. 2+ million sales is more than enough for a huge profit with a lower budget game like Dark Souls.
    Also.

Now I'm going back to Monster Hunter.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Demon's and Dark had an easy mode tossed in without altering the fabric of gameplay.

In Demon's it was starting as a Royal.

In Dark it was starting as a Pyro.

Both classes equipped you with certain starter gear that made the sledding a bit easier at the onset. That is about as much a compromise that we will get, or should hope for. The formula for this game and it's atmosphere turned lead into gold. You simply cannot remake the wheel without changing how the journey feels.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:49 am