Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+28
Forum Pirate
WandererReece
NinesVoerman
Carphil
GrinTwist
Sloth9230
gaarafrednorris
User
Mr. Tart
Spurgun
Saturday-Saint
Tomhet
Onion Knight
MosquitoPower
Deathsitexxi
barrywilkins
Elite Knight
SlakeMoth
Serious_Much
WyrmHero
cloudyeki
BIG TIME MASTER
Argetlam350
PlasticandRage
Yukon
Tolvo
RANT
BeeSeaEss
32 posters

Sequels that get progressively worse

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Sequels that get progressively worse  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sequels that get progressively worse

Post by Serious_Much Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:02 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:Resident Evil. Resi 4 rounded off the series with a bang. One of my favourite games ever. I didn't play much of Resi 5 because I hated it from the off. Africa for heavens sake and as for the latest offering, from what I've heard, that doesn't tick the right boxes either.

From what i heard, res 4 was the first really good one, and a bit of a one off in terms of quality, though now it's an established series naturally it's impossible for it to get less than 80/100 approval
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Sequels that get progressively worse  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sequels that get progressively worse

Post by Elite Knight Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Also, while I'm at it, Soul Calibur. I loved 2 and 3, but 4 was really kind of boring and 5 doesn't look all that pleasant, even (or especially) with the inclusion of Ezio.

I like fighting games (I'm not particularly great at them, but that doesn't stop my trying), but Soul Calibur has me rather disinterested as of late.
    barrywilkins
    barrywilkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by barrywilkins Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Resident Evil. Resi 4 rounded off the series with a bang. One of my
    favourite games ever. I didn't play much of Resi 5 because I hated it
    from the off. Africa for heavens sake and as for the latest offering,
    from what I've heard, that doesn't tick the right boxes either.

honestly, i could rant about this all day. mind you, i've yet to get through most of the series but, i loved the horror aspect of the first game. my grandmother bought it when i was 5 and i had nightmares for months. resident evil 1 was the first game that made me fear anything at all. it inspired such terror in me that she shelved it and refused to play it when i was around.

years later, i heard they remade it for the gamecube and promptly bought it to prove i wasn't a little kid anymore. once again, for weeks I couldn't even be in a dark room without freaking out. Then i saw re4, it was a departure from the sheer horror nature of the series yet, it pulled it off amazingly well. There was hardly a point in re4 where I didn't feel tense at what i would face next. they re-tuned the series to a more action packed style, while keeping all of the core mechanics that made me love/fear the first game so much.

i took one look at re5 in a game informer magazine, i didn't even realize the insanely muscled out guy was chris. i had no idea i was even looking at re5. then my friends showed me the game. how they could've ruined something so great is beyond me.

and i come to find out that not only has capcom destroyed the resident evil series. they've set to work making sure breath of fire never sees the light of day again. megaman is dead to them as well. what could possibly drive a company to run 3 great franchises into the ground is beyond me.

/end rant
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    SlakeMoth wrote:Resident Evil. Resi 4 rounded off the series with a bang. One of my favourite games ever. I didn't play much of Resi 5 because I hated it from the off. Africa for heavens sake and as for the latest offering, from what I've heard, that doesn't tick the right boxes either.

From what i heard, res 4 was the first really good one, and a bit of a one off in terms of quality, though now it's an established series naturally it's impossible for it to get less than 80/100 approval

what!!!!????? re2 one of the best horror games ever after that the best were goo but not like the second one. re4 was a great action game but it wasnt scary at all which was very disappointing.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:51 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:

what!!!!????? re2 one of the best horror games ever after that the best were goo but not like the second one. re4 was a great action game but it wasnt scary at all which was very disappointing.

I'm inclined to agree. I love the originals. I think 4 is a fantastic game, probably even in my top 10, but I agree that it didn't hold the same kind of horror as the others. It still had its moments, but it didn't quite hit the mark like 1-3 did IMO. In fact 2 is probably up there for the longest time I've ever spent playing a game without taking a break. I got it for Christmas the year it first came out and played it straight through from that morning into the next afternoon. So good. Did it with FFTactics when it first came out too.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:58 pm

I'd say RE4/5 are good games, but they should have had different names probably. It's kind of like playing a game for kids, then number 5 being rated M. It could still be a good game, but you should make it a new series so the wrong people don't buy it expecting something else.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:01 am

Capcom is just depressing, I was a big megaman fan as a kid and I was excited when they announced legends 3. But when they pulled the plug on it I just gave up on Capcom. Now they're ruining DMC too.

It's depressing as hell.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:29 am

I loved Resi 1,2 & 3 too, just thought I'd say and whilst Resi 4 did break new ground in terms of action, it still, at it's core, retained the unique Resident Evil vibe. I'll never forget entering that lab and seeing all those things hanging on hooks (I forget the name). I remember thinking 'I just know one of those critters is going to come to life' which was a classic Resident Evil moment.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:45 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:I loved Resi 1,2 & 3 too, just thought I'd say and whilst Resi 4 did break new ground in terms of action, it still, at it's core, retained the unique Resident Evil vibe. I'll never forget entering that lab and seeing all those things hanging on hooks (I forget the name). I remember thinking 'I just know one of those critters is going to come to life' which was a classic Resident Evil moment.

Yeah, those things were scarey as hell. Especially the way they breathed. You could hear em once you started getting within a few rooms from them. That always creeped me out
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm going to put in my 2 cents here but from a different perspective =). Sequels that turn into amazing games by the 2nd and then totally disappoint and live off the of hype of the second entry…

Sly Cooper 1 was good…..2 was AMAZING and then 3 was just meh... not horrible but disappointing.

Assassin's Creed 1 was ok and showed promise... and then Assassin’s Creed 2 came out and pretty much satisfied every fan of open world games. It is still one of my favorite games. Now 3 comes out and was good... but I do feel let down by it. They removed a lot of things that were staples in the series and it feels less smooth and more forced…

Resident Evil 1 scared me to death when I was younger... RE:2 was such an amazing game. I can still play it to this day (even if the controls are dated...)... Part 3 was by no means bad but it started to lose the RE magic there. As in it turned more "Arcade style" Which isn't always a bad thing but it is a big change for that series and I don't think they have recovered from that line of thinking.

Spyro 1 was a great little adventure game.. in Ripto's Rage they really perfected it and made a classic... but then Year of the Dragon… I just wasn’t feeling it and never enjoyed it like the others…

Resistance 1 pretty much sold me a PS3 and it was a pretty good shooter… Resistance 2 I thought was a step up from the original.. and then 3 while a good FPS just didn’t do it for me as a Resistance fan..

Mass Effect 1 was a good game but had a few blemishes… ME2 is one of those games…it got some people so engrossed into the story that I think that’s what really crushed people for the final ending in the following game. ME3 I think is the most polished gameplay wise of them all. I love the way it moves and feels when playing this game. However, as seen from the firestorm on the internet, the story took a hit and many people thought that the 3rd entry lost the essence of the series.

Series that I’m worried about that are will be moving onto Part 3….

Infamous… Oh god I really hope that when they finally put this out they don’t screw it up…..I LOVE THESE GAMES….

The next Dark Souls game… the community is a little torn on this but I say Dark Souls is a very polished, much improved version of Demon’s Souls. Obviously I prefer Dark Souls but there are those out there that believe Demon’s Souls to be superior! Whatever your favorite is, they had better not drop the ball on the sequel….

Are there any series you guys see like this? Do you think this is just consumer series fatigue, or is it developer design fatigue?
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:28 am

probably developer design fatigue
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:46 am

Deathsitexxi wrote:
    Resident Evil 1 scared me to death when I was younger... RE:2 was such an amazing game. I can still play it to this day (even if the controls are dated...)... Part 3 was by no means bad but it started to lose the RE magic there. As in it turned more "Arcade style" Which isn't always a bad thing but it is a big change for that series and I don't think they have recovered from that line of thinking.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. It's not like the games after it are bad games, but they lack the aspect of the series that made them so enjoyable for me. I even liked the way the controls are a little awkward. It makes you feel fallible and helpless, increasing the fear of the whole scenario. Siren did that well also. Not just with clunky controls I mean, but they made you a very weak character, and it makes the enemies all that much more terrifying.
    MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:01 am

Yukon wrote:Silent hill ever since team silent put it down and it has been passed on from developer to developer like some unwanted child.

Im going to back the idea of Silent Hill games going downhill lately.
    Just finished Silent Hill Homecoming (I know im a little slow) and the dark world is so “established” now in with that “1960’s steel works factory” vibe that there is no surprises.

I want them to blow my mind with off the wall nightmare imagery, not just a bunch of rusty walls and pipes.

...but none of these :bas: that would be too much.....
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:27 pm

TES from III onwards has been downhill.

Tomhet
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:53 am

Yukon wrote:Silent hill ever since team silent put it down and it has been passed on from developer to developer like some unwanted child.

Exactly this. The original trilogy is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had and seeing how they have ruined the franchise gets me depressed.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:22 am

Souls PvP.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:44 am

Deathsitexxi wrote:

Sly Cooper 1 was good…..2 was AMAZING and then 3 was just meh... not horrible but disappointing.
    Never played 1, but i loved sly cooper 2 as a kid. Then i got really hyped up when i heard that 3 is coming out, but it just wasn't as good. Though i did like all the minigames in it.

I'm hoping that Thieves in Time wont disappoint.

Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 am

The Fable Series. While Fable: TLC is my absolute favorite game of all time, 2 and 3 has not managed to live up to the prequel and i'm very disappointed in Lionhead Studios. Other than that, there is Call of Duty, which while i'm not a huge fan of the series, i find to get worse all the time, mostly because of one reason, there's no goddamned me change, just minimal once that you could hardly even call real change. tongue
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:31 pm

The Series of Unfortunate Events.

Yup. Suck it, I added a book series.

:bas:
    gaarafrednorris
    gaarafrednorris

Post by gaarafrednorris Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm amazed this hasn't been said yet.

Megaman X
    Series should have ended at X6.. but no. We get 2 more heavily disappointing games that add in someone who's voice makes Naruto's appealing.

Fable
    Fable was amazing. Fable 2 moreso. 3.... bleh

Duke Nukem
    We know that jazz by now.

Dragonball Z: Budokai
    It started great with the first one and got better and better (Not counting Budokai 2.. that was just... ugh) with each installment... till Ultimate Tenkaichi. Its combat is just quicktime events initiated by a simple combo.. I'd say it's exactly like Asura's Wrath, but Asura's Wrath had combat mechanics OUTSIDE of the quicktime. And it was actually fun.

I'm gonna get flame for this one...

Legend of Zelda
    Not Link's Adventure. I liked that one. I mean the DS ones.
    Something about them just screamed "SUCK" to me.

Resident Evil
    Not the main series. The spinoffs. Operation: Raccoon City, Code Veronica, Umbrella Chronicles... all are just... ugh.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:16 pm

I liked Outbreak >.>
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 pm

What? halo 4 is just Cod with a halo skin!

DMC3 is considered the best in the series, while 2 is considered the worst

And pokemon have been running out of Ideas since the first generation( though i still love the series)

Only read first page lol

@WyrmHero: I feel your pain, though the DS games were tolerable at least.(pokemon clones)

I hated all Spyro games after the third, until the reboot
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Fable 2 and 3. I loved the first game when I had a 360 and played it daily. Any Fable fans remember ever trying to find the Singing Sword? I was one of those guys, I payed attention to every detail of what the Oracle said about the sword and never gave up until... well until I found it in the third game. What a let down. :evil:

Saints Row the Third was a bit of a letdown in the Saints Row series mainly because there weren't that many serious moments in the game like they had in SR2 AND SR.

The Series of Unfortunate Events did actually start to drag on a bit after the third book too.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 am

prototype 2, if only because it undid all of Mercers character development.

Legend of dragoon 2, simply cause it doesn't exist sad
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:04 am

Forgot Prototype, yeah Sloth that whole game completely undid the character development that the first game did with Mercer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:07 pm