Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+136
DemonDrink
KrazykevS10
User1
GaryBlevins
Dutchy
TheBigLebowski
WaLKA
Bigbrodeur
Mikutow
Sanhedrim
Dalerik
Dilaudid281
sicktwist
Rona
SenseOfSecurity
SpecialNewb
ak1287
Hugh_G_Johnson
Bearded Dragon
danfts
gmwdim
Frank_White
Archandes
samster628
argetlam213
Corporal Hart
Mike5005005
KingSeekerCow
Cepzeu
emraluces
Flankydizzle
Animaaal
jp09
Garl_Vinland
Kuragari
FattyOfDoom
GenericUsername
MosquitoPower
Hydreigon11
Gyonimizotetsu
Ashran
Shkar
PlasticandRage
messremb
Artorias The Abyss Walker
denleigh
vereornox
Oh_the_Humanity
Deathsitexxi
Snuggles
Wilkinson3424
Fossil
Krasouski
Sargerus
ComaPrison
Kyōkai
JeragiusTheSlayer
hageshisa
Forum Pirate
Nessima017
Mr. Tart
CaptanSpudsy
Nybbles
Zakkia
aprilmanha
gaarafrednorris
Slarg232
hqboy
Tomhet
Myztyrio
befowler
The_Burning Cross
DE5PA1R
bosslugger
MasterofShadows
BeeSeaEss
GTP_Zodicus
dragonbeast6
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
exod FEAR
Acarnatia
Reyl
GrinTwist
Solid Knight
GkMrBane
OmarTheFuzzy
Macromute
carlucio
Xero
Halicarnassis
SetaSensei
Sloth9230
ViralEnsign_
User
tofucactaur
Rudmed
Marino.
WandererReece
Serious_Much
ZoltarTheDestroyer
Tolvo
XKnightArtoriasX
Buggy Virus
Djem
Fotitudo
Juutas
>Brave<
Infighter
passivefamiliar
MagisterM
Aevun
Saturday-Saint
eminusx
The Grand Confessor
raecor14
mr_no_face
XachAttack
ublug
Onion Knight
Hyena
Seignar
defacto
The Letter X
PwnasauresRex
RANT
Reaperfan
Phoenix Rising
Soris Ice Goldwing
ChizFreak
Noob-of-Artorias
Pucko
Avenger649
callipygias
tinypantha
MyAwesomeAfro
T-King-667
140 posters

Dark souls 2: Wishlist

Snuggles

Dark souls 2: Wishlist - Page 26 Empty Re: Dark souls 2: Wishlist

Post by Snuggles Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:17 am

Story
    I would like for there to be a little more to the main story line. You have an awesome intro weaving an awesome start to a story, and then that's it. You have all these areas with no real story to them, and if there is story it takes hours of research and discussion to even guess at it. And the 20 second ending is a huge dissapointment in terms of story. I wouldn't mind there still being some obscurity to finding out certain parts of the story, but I don't want the entire story to be drowned in obscurity. Especially the ringing the bells part, they could have added a lot more to that but instead it's just a quick cut scene of an ogre opening a gate, they could have at least tied in the boss or some enemies.

I want more out of the NPC's. It seems like almost all of them have like 2-3 minutes of content and that's it. I like how a lot of them have storylines that arn't neccessarily part of the main story line and they're doing thier own thing, but I would like more then a few lines and a mediocre reward item. And more interaction, other then Patches you don't have much interaction other then listening to thier lines. Maybe some more in-depth sidequests, 2 npc's feuding and trying to get you to take sides would be cool.

Some story to the differnt areas of the game would be cool. Like the huge church in the parish, it's really cool but you learn nothing about it. Or some lore about the tomb of giants. I'd be happy with some a few passages in a book or on a wall or something you can read and at least find out a little bit about significant areas. Or at the very least it would add a little bit of atmosphere to an area.

Gameplay
    All weapons should have at least 3 moves. I love battle axes, but having one move really ruined it for me in DkS. I also want to see the power of the base weapons be more leveled. I like to use the weapons you don't see in other games as much, but it seems like a lot of them are underpowered compared to the more popular swords and spears with no advantages to level the playing field. Like the claws. They made it a lot better with DkS, but it's still there. I want all the base weapons to be usable without feeling like I'm disadvantaged using them. And I want more special weapons that arn't swords. And the item weapons need fixed, the knives are worthless after the burg, and firebombs are towards the end of the game.

I would like to see the blacksmithing expanded upon. While I enjoy upgrading stuff, I would like to be able to customize my upgrading a little bit more instead of just picking one path and being stuck on it. Like being able to make your weapon faster while sacrificing some damage or adding one part fire damage and one part bleed damage. And in all honesty, how is this the only game in the world that has elemental magic with no opposite? How do you have fire with no ice?

I would like to see the leveling system changed. I like how you have to pay for levels, but I hate how it forces you to specialize to have a solid character. While I'm generally a strength/dexterity guy, I would like to have access to some magic and have it actually be useful in the later levels. I did like how pyromancy gave you the option to have access to some magic while still being able to focus on strength or dexterity. I think an awesome idea would be some magic spells leveled to other stats, like some strength or dexterity or vitality magic.

I would love to see the option of difficulty levels. That way you can ease in the new or not so good players, and give the veterans more of a challenge. I often feel like I would like to bump up the difficulty at times, especially the speed and aggro level of enemies. I just seem to fly through the first and second play through now. I know you can do "challenges" and stuff to make it harder, but I want that challenge of doing everything I can with the full assortment of gear just to squeek by. And while NG+ and all that helps, it takes quite awhile to get to NG or NG+, it would be just as easy for them to have a difficulty level selection without compromising the game.

I want more atmosphere. Demon souls had a lot of atmosphere, and there was actually stuff going on. You had miners in the mines, guards patrolling a prison full or prisoners, soliders guarding a castle. While I enjoy the world of DkS, a lot of areas don't seem to have much atmosphere. It seems like almost everybody and every enemy in the game is just sitting around in some area waiting on you to get there.

Backstabbing should be limited to daggers. That way you can still have the sneak aspect available, but it will help prevent 75% of PvP being a strafing match to see who can lag behind who for a backstab first. I hate it when I'm owning somebody and almost have them finished off and they manage to back stab me with a full sized weapon and take 3/4's of my health in one move because my game lagged or I was momentarily distracted by an enemy. Or maybe have a ring that reduces 1/2 your health but allows backstabbing. Point is, I thing backstabbing is way to overpowered in pvp.

I liked the idea of the covenants, but I would like to see more out of them. I feel like if they cut down on the number of covenants and focused more on thier content and interaction they would work better. It seems like several of them were kind of redundant, and that others are basically side quests or just another way to pvp. I would like to see some feuds between covenants, and for them to have a little more to thier purpose and for them to have more affect on the game itself. Other then online pvp none of them really have any affect on the game itself.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:35 am

Every weapon has 8 moves. 1hr1, 1hr2, 1hroll attack, 1h running attack, 2hr1, 2hr2, 2hroll attack, 2h running attack

If backstabbing is limited to daggers, how will anyone punish mages?
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:49 am

Snuggles: just because you think a weapon should be stronger, it doesn't mean it actually would be in real life.

Claws vs a Katana for example. The claws have multiple blades, which means any force you put in to an attack is spread out between each blade(it's why multi-blade razors are safer than single-blade ones, and why it's possible to stand on nails if there's enough of them). Because of the way they're held, it's also harder to get good leverage and therefore exert less force. A katana on the other hand only has 1 point of impact, which when combined with better leverage gives it better cutting power.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:15 am

I seriously cringed at that last post. Most of what is in there I pray doesn't happen in Dark Souls 2.
    The story is supposed to be obscure; that's a lot of the charm of it.
    More in-depth npcs I agree with.
    While perhaps a little more information will be cool, how it is is pretty good. The Souls series is pretty good at basing it's lore and world off of our own, historically and mythologically. In the technological era, and given the nature of the church in the game, (which seems to reflect the Vatican and witch hunts in their reaction to sorcerery and undead) most people couldn't read. There were very few books in Europe outside of private collections and church monasteries.
    Some weapons, while people think they look cool, just aren't viable weapons. The souls series has thus far been pretty accurate and pretty blunt about this, and I really like that. Spears, halberds and swords were usually the best weapons available on the battlefield. Axes, daggers and many others were either usually used by drafted peasants who only had improvised weapons, were sidearms, or were mercenaries with a cheaper weapon. Claws just aren't usually a good weapon. Neither are throwing knives; they're useless in the game because throwing knives really are useless. Firebombs weren't a viable weapon themselves; more often they would be used to ignite a flammable material. (pouring oil over the castle walls and lighting it aflame, etc) Those were heavy and couldn't be carried in bulk, so after one throw you'd be defenseless. Aside from bows and crossbows, the only real projectile weapons were siege weapons.
    Magic should not be based on a physical parameter. (stat) That would be both completely unbalanced, add a lot of flashy fighter-game attacks, and it just doesn't fit.
    On difficulty levels; this is the Souls series. PREPARE TO DIE and EASY MODE just don't belong in the same game.
    While the basic idea of expanding the weapon upgrades sounds good to me, the example you gave cannot work. Speed was VERY important, as it is in the games. Changing a weapon's speed could become the ultimate game-breaker.
    I don't play games with a menagerie of so-called elements. Most cultures that described elements, the basic building blocks of the world, had only four or five. Some of the most common are Fire, Air, Water, Earth and often a 'special' fifth element. In Greece, India and Norse cultures it is Aether or Ether; in Japan it is Void. In Medieval Alchemy, there were three more elements-Sulphur, Mercury and Salt. Many mainstream fantasy settings now use a long list of recent additions, such as plant, light, dark, life, death, electricity, ice, metal, gravity... the list goes on. These are different from the very idea of the elements. The elements are forces of nature, the basic materials that the world is formed from, before life. They do not necessarily have opposites, and I for one, don't believe in opposites at all, nor do I enjoy it when they are implemented. Obviously, this one is a big deal for me. For an example of how wrong elements can go, put Demon's Souls and Dark Souls next to Pokemon.
    Backstabbing and critical hits can and should be able to be performed by any weapon. Humans aren't meatshields that can just survive one greatsword slash after-another. One or two hits is usually all it takes. The Souls games has been true to this so far, and I hope it stays that way.
    While I do agree that more in-depth covenants will add to and improve the game, I take note of that last sentence: "Other thAn online pvp none of them really ahve any Effect on the game itself." The effect needs to be limited because these are not strictly online games. It's meant to be a game that player without access to the internet can complete on his/her own, and depending on how and how deeply the covenants affect the game, it can potentially turn it into a strictly-online game.
    aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:44 am

Snuggles wrote:*Snip*

I pretty much agree with all your points.

More well told story, rather then a pile of text windows.

Backstabs limited to the smallest of weapons.

More NPC's to make it feel like a world rather then just hollow rooms with enemies waiting for you like you are the most important thing in the universe.

More variety in weapons, because pretty much all players use the same weapons unless they are trying to be themed or doing a challenge run and that's just not interesting when you are forced to use 1 or 2 weapons to just play smart.

More variety in upgrades is a good thing to, I want to see elemental armours!

Only thing I disagree with is the convents being reduced. The nine represent the 9 alignments you can follow. My only change would be allowing the player to pick an alignment at the start and get a variety of buffs and debuffs for each option.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:54 am

Again, how then to you intend to stop me having 30 wog casts or 80 gcs and just spaming it until you die. Most builds wouldn't be able to bs me to stop it and piviot canceling would severely hamper those that could.
    aprilmanha
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by aprilmanha Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:57 am

Forum Pirate wrote:Again, how then to you intend to stop me having 30 wog casts or 80 gcs and just spaming it until you die. Most builds wouldn't be able to bs me to stop it and piviot canceling would severely hamper those that could.

Well thats easy then, I have a spare dagger in off-hand for one.

Or then I would question how you managed to get to NG+6 at only level 70 in the first place.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:17 am

With wog dealing 1200 damage per cast and emit force 800 (which they can) its not too difficult, the NGs after NG+ are actually easier because I have more casts of the damage spells.

So every build has to have an offhand dagger? That costs a weapon slot, does like no damage on builds without dex and is what is called centeralising. When every build has to have a specific weapon/item/spell to deal with 1 thing, the thing that requires the response is called a broken element. Broken elements are, well, broken. They're way overpowered. The fixes to broken elements are to remove them or to increase the number of ways to deal with them.

The bsing is a mechanic designed, in part, to deal with mages by providing a way to punish the faster spells. By removing it except for in daggers you make mages entirely to powerful. By removing faster spells, you make mages useless. Thus logic dictates the mechanic must stay or magic must go.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:32 am

Forum Pirate wrote:With wog dealing 1200 damage per cast and emit force 800 (which they can) its not too difficult, the NGs after NG+ are actually easier because I have more casts of the damage spells.

So every build has to have an offhand dagger? That costs a weapon slot, does like no damage on builds without dex and is what is called centeralising. When every build has to have a specific weapon/item/spell to deal with 1 thing, the thing that requires the response is called a broken element. Broken elements are, well, broken. They're way overpowered. The fixes to broken elements are to remove them or to increase the number of ways to deal with them.

The bsing is a mechanic designed, in part, to deal with mages by providing a way to punish the faster spells. By removing it except for in daggers you make mages entirely to powerful. By removing faster spells, you make mages useless. Thus logic dictates the mechanic must stay or magic must go.

Magic should go.
    Snuggles

Post by Snuggles Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:43 pm

I like to consider my post to be more of a brainstorming session then solid design elements. While I think several of my ideas have some serious merit, they are definately in need of work on how to implement them. I enjoy the Souls series, but I also like change, and any sequel has room for improvment.

And while I find any arguments relating to the realisticness of stuff to have a certain amount a validity, this is a video game where you can wield an axe as big as yourself and fight dragons and use magic.

While I don't think that the story needs spelled out every step of the way, I still want to see some more story. The intro weaves such an interesting story, and then from there it's all vague connections and obscure clues that require weeks of debate on a message board to connect. And especially the ending, it was so disappointingly short. I think putting a little more into the main story and then leaving stuff like lore and NPC's and certain area's as having more obscure stories would be fun. Even just small stuff, like statues having names on them or paintings on the wall that are connected to something from the story. Like a book that has a passage or 2 about the capra demon, or some passages on the gravestone of artorias.

As far as weapons go, my main concern is usability and variety. If you're going to put metal claws or a whip in a game, make them worth using or at least good enough to get by with. And somebody who would be using claws or whip in battle would most likely be very skilled with them. I was totally stoked on making a fire whip, but the result was decidingly mediocre. And a lot of weapons are killed by thier lack of moves in thier moveset. My main example being the battleaxe, it's very repetitive and unflowing chop motion just make it not fun to play with. Demon's souls battle axe had a 2-3 moveset that was rather fluid, and the long sword in DkS is rather fluid even when it goes from the last move back into the first. And scaling kills a lot of weapons to. As much as scaling makes a weapon, it kind of pushes you to use the few weapons with a or s scaling. I honestly feel like scaling hurts the game in certain ways, but at the same time it's part of what makes the series what it is and I wouldn't even try to replace it.
    They also need to make dual wielding better. I'm not sure why they insist on making the left hand the designated shield hand. Why can't they just assign shield commands to the shields, since the shields don't really have an attack function? Of course there would need to be some limitation to what you could dual wield, since two great axes would be a little overpowered, but 2 longswords would be cool, or 2 katanas. It would obviously need a lot of work, but it's the one thing I've heard people talk about the most.

As far as magic goes, I just want to be able to build my warrior character but still have the ability to use some magic. Kind of like what they did with Pyromancy. And depending on the kind of magic and how it was scaled, I don't see why you couldn't have a strength or dexterity magic. It would obviously be a limited selection and you wouldn't be able to rely soley on it like a mage. And I don't see how any spell would be any more powerful then one leveled up with intelligence scaling.

As far as elements, I don't need 10 of them, I would just like to see them have a little more connection to the world. I understand the fire from the intro, but I don't really see the connection to lightening. And there's no area in the game that really favors one or the other. I sort of like how a faith weapon helps you out in the catacombs, but thats about the only place you see any real connection to the elements or beliefs in the game. I know it would kind of kill the specialization many people enjoy in the game

Backstabbing is entirely overused and rediculously overpowered. Parrying and riposte don't bother me, they require timing and have limitations. But backstabbing has no limitations and no timing. My favorite part of the souls series is the combat, and I think the online aspect of Souls is great, but when half my pvp's are me holding my shield up and being unable to make any moves because the second I swing my weapon I'll get backstabbed for 3/4's my health just doesn't seem like it's enriching my game play or solving any issues. And I don't see the realisticness of it, hitting somebody in the back with a sword does 50% more damage then hitting them in the chest? And maybe it's a new thing I just havn't ran into or I just don't see the issue, but I never felt like I needed a backstab to defeat a mage. I just assume that avoiding thier spells was considered part of pvp skill.

As far as covenants go, I don't want them to be required to finish the game, I would just like more to them then getting a few levels and a reward item or 2. Some covenants that are sworn enemies would be fun, or joining a certain covenants makes certain types of enemies your allies, like a covenant that made the random black knights your allies. And I think in thier current form there are to many covenants doing basically the same thing. It seems like half of them make co-op easier, and the other half are for invading. Do you really need the way of the white, the princess guard, and the sunlight warriors? I feel like the sunlight warriors could have covered all 3.
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Not a really big thing, but I hope they make the co-op specific covenant, should it exist, not make your phantom so damn bright. It hurts my eyes lol.

The "intro" so to speak when you get summoned kinda bugs me too, it's just not my style.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Whips were blatantly a joke weapon-they are flat-out meant to not be useful weapons. While painful, they're not really lethal weapons. Axes, a real weapon, did just get an ineffective moveset. And in regards to Sloth's mention of the focused pressure of a katana compared to a claw weapon, while that's true, there's a lot more to why those are ineffective.
    Almost absolutely, all weapons were long enough to stab underneath the ribcage and pierce a person's heart. The only common exception were blunt weapons such as clubs and maces which were used to either crush someone's head or to send concussive force through armor. Claws fill neither of these criteria, and their very design makes them prone to getting stuck on a weapon, exerting pressure over too wide an area to pierce armor or getting stuck in armor, leaving the user open to being attacked (backstabbed while his/her weapon was stuck) and killed. They also have a very short reach compared to many other weapons, which is a disadvantage.
    Lightning is tied in because so much of the game focuses on Gwyn and his story, who is the sun god that throws lightning bolts.
    The left hand was likely the designated shield hand for these reasons
    1) the majority of people are right-handed, and an even greater proportion was in the Medieval Ages and Renaissance
    2) balancing issues regarding duel-wielding
    I agree that duel-wielding in Dark is even worse than it is in actual combat. I just hope they balance it well with shields, two-handed weapons and weapon and catalyst.
    Magic based on other parameters, such as Strength or Dexterity will be overpowered because that will increase both his/her might with weapons AND spells. It will also turn the magic in the game into something similar to a flashy fighter game (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc) which is an entirely different style of world from Dark Souls.
    Snuggles

Post by Snuggles Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:42 pm

I'm not really worried about the claws specifically, they're just a weapon I have rarely seen in pvp. I loved the whip just because I've never seen it in another game and thought it would be cool to use.

Aa far as the magic, you have weapons that scale with faith and magic, and yet they don't quite match up to a strength build's weapons. It'd be the same thing, a strength magic would not be as strong as a intelligence scaled magic. I'm not really even worried about using the type of stuff I want in pvp, more for pve applications. They wouldn't even have to necessarily be an attack magic.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Try Castlevania Lords of Shadow, pretty good game.
    defacto
    defacto
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by defacto Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:12 pm

Acarnatia wrote:Whips were blatantly a joke weapon-they are flat-out meant to not be useful weapons. While painful, they're not really lethal weapons. Axes, a real weapon, did just get an ineffective moveset. And in regards to Sloth's mention of the focused pressure of a katana compared to a claw weapon, while that's true, there's a lot more to why those are ineffective.
    Almost absolutely, all weapons were long enough to stab underneath the ribcage and pierce a person's heart. The only common exception were blunt weapons such as clubs and maces which were used to either crush someone's head or to send concussive force through armor. Claws fill neither of these criteria, and their very design makes them prone to getting stuck on a weapon, exerting pressure over too wide an area to pierce armor or getting stuck in armor, leaving the user open to being attacked (backstabbed while his/her weapon was stuck) and killed. They also have a very short reach compared to many other weapons, which is a disadvantage.
    Lightning is tied in because so much of the game focuses on Gwyn and his story, who is the sun god that throws lightning bolts.
    The left hand was likely the designated shield hand for these reasons
    1) the majority of people are right-handed, and an even greater proportion was in the Medieval Ages and Renaissance
    2) balancing issues regarding duel-wielding
    I agree that duel-wielding in Dark is even worse than it is in actual combat. I just hope they balance it well with shields, two-handed weapons and weapon and catalyst.
    Magic based on other parameters, such as Strength or Dexterity will be overpowered because that will increase both his/her might with weapons AND spells. It will also turn the magic in the game into something similar to a flashy fighter game (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc) which is an entirely different style of world from Dark Souls.

FTFY

No one is going to read long posts that are red on a dark color. All it does it give you eye strain.

I don't know why you think it's cool to write in red but it's not. It doesn't make your posts stand out so people read them, it makes people skip them because they don't want to deal with the eye strain.
    defacto
    defacto
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by defacto Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:Try Castlevania Lords of Shadow, pretty good God of War clone.

Personally I hated that game. They need to make a console sidescroller again like they did for the Nintendo DS. Those games were just like Symphony of the Night and wonderful.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:33 pm

I'd say it was more of a DMC clone. Could you move the camera? I forget. I see no reason why they can't continue to make both types of games, though they should release mirror of fate on PSN or for the VITA/PSP :evil: I have a 3ds, but I prefer playing games from the same series on the same system.

Anyway, I'm sure someone already mentioned this but: Bring back the sorting system from Demon's Souls!

Last edited by Sloth9230 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:39 pm

I put this in another post the other week and the more I think about it the more I kinda wish it would be put into the next souls game =)

Say you have a Balder SS and you upgrade it to +15. What if there was an upgrade past that... but you have to spend a ridiculous amount of souls to get it. As in when you kill an enemy the weapon absorbs the souls and once it gets to like 40-50K it "pokevolves" into its final form Knight King Rendel’s Side Sword!! lol

I wish there were special effects from this too. For example, the greatlord greatsword would be upgraded to +5, and then have to absorb XX number of souls to become the true GLGS and.. if you kill Gywn (edit: it would absorb Gywn's Soul) with the true GLGS it gets the perma flame on it.

There would need to be some limiting factor on which weapons upgraded and some negative things that happen as you Soul level this weapon as well. For example, once you get your weapon in soul absorb mode your weapon takes all of the souls you obtain so you can’t level. In addition, this weapon is a much weaker version of the upgraded version you sacrifice to make the absorb mode. Also, if you unequip the weapon while it is in this mode it would lose all or a certain % of the souls you have obtained on it. Dieing with the weapon to many times would result in it breaking from losing souls and you’d have to find some special item to repair it.

Just something I was thinking about again today =O
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:57 pm

1) Red on this background isn't that stressful; red and white are actually the least stressful colors on human eyes
    2) You assumed that I write in red because I 'think it's cool'
    3) You said that I'm just wrong and stated it in a way that suggests I'm an idiot.
    Neither of those are accurate. I write in red because red is my simply my color. It's my signature. Please be kinder in your further posts.

On the evolving weapons idea-while I actually adore evolving weapons, (Dark Cloud was awesome) it really just doesn't fit for the Dark setting. Furthermore, I think that will be too difficult to balance if not all weapons have that option. While I think it's a great idea, I think it will not work for Dark Souls 2.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Acarnatia wrote:On the evolving weapons idea-while I actually adore evolving weapons, (Dark Cloud was awesome) it really just doesn't fit for the Dark setting. Furthermore, I think that will be too difficult to balance if not all weapons have that option. While I think it's a great idea, I think it will not work for Dark Souls 2.

It might not fit the DS universe but man the more I think about it the more I'd like to see it. I always thought they lost a good chance to do something great with the broken straight sword upgrading to the GSoA. What if you would have had to actually use the broken straight sword for a while XD Seems like a good way to add organic difficulty to me =) and it would have made equiping the GSoA that much sweeter.
    Fossil
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Fossil Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:32 am

On the issue of realistic applications of weapons: It's really kind of a moot point and something Snuggles even addressed in his post.

Snuggles wrote:
    And while I find any arguments relating to the realisticness of stuff to have a certain amount a validity, this is a video game where you can wield an axe as big as yourself and fight dragons and use magic.

And while I realize there is a sense of "realism" to the Souls series and it's a big part of what makes it great, also consider the example he used of a fire whip.

A whip may not be a particularly effective or lethal weapon, but would a whip imbued with the fire of power be? You can't say because it doesn't exist.

If I had a normal sword, a sword that sets you on fire, and a sword that sends electricity through your body there would be no question as to which is the worst of the 3. But we know that same logic doesn't necessarily hold true in the Souls universe. What is a +15 weapon anyways? It's a nonsensical question because it doesn't exist. So any speculation as to what weapons would be most effective IRL is pointless. And is ultimately mostly a result of moveset and scaling as pointed out with the example of battleaxes.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Ok, here's one; Ethereal Ember

Ascends a +5 weapon into an Ethereal Weapon

Ethereal weapons have no scaling, but ignore sheilds and half of the armor value of the target. An +5 Ethereal Claymore would deal 257 damage (same as a +15 Claymore without Scaling).

Ethereal Sheilds can block Ethereal Weapons, but gain no stability or defense bonuses.

Using a Transient Curse allows the blocking of Ethereal Weapons with any sheild.

Sure, you deal less damage, but they have to sacrifice a buff or be chipped to death.
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Noob-of-Artorias Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:27 pm

Slarg232 wrote:Ok, here's one; Ethereal Ember

Ethereal weapons have no scaling, but ignore sheilds and half of the armor value of the target. An +5 Ethereal Claymore would deal 257 damage (same as a +15 Claymore without Scaling).

Ethereal Sheilds can block Ethereal Weapons, but gain no stability or defense bonuses.

Using a Transient Curse allows the blocking of Ethereal Weapons with any sheild.

Sure, you deal less damage, but they have to sacrifice a buff or be chipped to death.
    Allowing any weapon to bypass shields and armor would be monumentally overpowered, no matter how many negatives you plug into it.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:05 pm

The mlgs in demons ignored shields, and most armor. It was entirely unhelpful unless one was fighting a turtle because it was really weak.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:08 pm

Noob-of-Artorias wrote:
    Slarg232 wrote:Ok, here's one; Ethereal Ember

Allowing any weapon to bypass shields and armor would be monumentally overpowered, no matter how many negatives you plug into it.

How so?

There needs to be a counter to everything, sheilds are no exception. Also, it's a trade off; do I slaughter Turtles with it, or do I actually get some damage? Because connecting with 250 damage ain't very helpful against a Rolly-Polly-Olly who has 1000 health, while he's hitting you for 700.

Edit: Also, I never knew the Shottel was overpowered.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:58 pm