Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+37
Hugh_G_Johnson
Marino.
Ashran
ComaPrison
Peaceful Wollyhop
Carphil
Villain1
Sentiel
psychichobo
FlorisFreakshow
befowler
Odinbear
Oh_the_Humanity
Forum Pirate
Shakie666
Onion Knight
RedderAI
Hydreigon11
hey its andres
Kyōkai
fujiphoenix
Samurainova
GrinTwist
Animaaal
Flankydizzle
moomootv
BLA1NE
passivefamiliar
skarekrow13
Nybbles
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Aznul
tinypantha
The Letter X
reim0027
WyrmHero
DianaDieHard
41 posters

Dark Souls Without Backstabs

BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Dark Souls Without Backstabs - Page 3 Empty Re: Dark Souls Without Backstabs

Post by BLA1NE Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:21 pm

^Sounds like a pretty good idea. I'd need to think about it more to really give my opinion, but off the top of my head it doesn't sound bad.

I just came back in this thread to say that backstab fishers are really annoying me! I just invaded in Oolacile Township for a few hours to get some duels, and the majority of the people I fought were just trying to get behind my back. It was very, very boring for me to kill them that way. (I had a few good duels too, though--with my Pierce Shield, too!)
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:28 am

BLA1NE wrote:^Sounds like a pretty good idea. I'd need to think about it more to really give my opinion, but off the top of my head it doesn't sound bad.

I just came back in this thread to say that backstab fishers are really annoying me! I just invaded in Oolacile Township for a few hours to get some duels, and the majority of the people I fought were just trying to get behind my back. It was very, very boring for me to kill them that way. (I had a few good duels too, though--with my Pierce Shield, too!)

Did you know you can parry that shield???
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:27 am

Of course! I've parried many shield attacks, and been parried myself a few times too. That's why I keep the Notched Whip in my offhand, to whip people who would try to parry me until they get discouraged of it!
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:32 am

BLA1NE wrote:Of course! I've parried many shield attacks, and been parried myself a few times too. That's why I keep the Notched Whip in my offhand, to whip people who would try to parry me until they get discouraged of it!

that made me laugh for some reason

I Parry!

Whip! Stop That!

I Parry Again!

Whip! Bad Parry!

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:37 am

BLA1NE wrote:^Sounds like a pretty good idea. I'd need to think about it more to really give my opinion, but off the top of my head it doesn't sound bad.

OMG this......so much this. Circle strafe bs, swing and a miss bs, circle....ciRCLE.....CIIIRRRCLE!!!!!! BS!!!!!!!!

I WIN I WIN!!! I'm the best circler around, in your face!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry i kid i kid lol. But ya its about a boring as watching paint dry. I just painted my bathroom and I'm bored outta my mind. Thank God for beer while painting!
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 am

hey its andres wrote:Going off of that, I invaded someone I had a respect for...while I was gank hunting. Needless to say after getting BSed WotGed by him and his phantom I was less than impressed. There is, however, a time when being OP is fun: when you earn it. I have a lvl 1 who has all but beat the game and when I am bored I use him to invade and I will just screw around with the host. I use pyromancy but stick to fists or sword hilt if the person is not trying to chain BS me after I've clearly shown I have no intention of killing them. I know this is off the topic but I wanted to respond to what Animaal said.

I think we can all agree backstabs will be better in DkSII when there are dedicated servers. I think that they really should make the "window" smaller but other than that I don't mind them.

Everybody keeps saying dedicated servers is the fix, but this is not true. Been playing Demon Souls lately and some of the worst lag I've seen is on the dedicated servers for that game. Lag is due to slow connections, Your and the other peoples connection for the most part. Dedicated servers do not speed up your connection.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Nybbles wrote:that made me laugh for some reason

I Parry!

Whip! Stop That!

I Parry Again!

Whip! Bad Parry!

Exactly! I had a really good duel yesterday with that setup. Every time he would 1-hand his weapon and pull his shield out, I'd whip him. When he went 2 handed, I went 2 handed, and block-attacked him! Was going really well, but he was sneaky too. He bow-bait parried me--I couldn't BELIEVE he got me like that, I know better than that! But my reflexes got the better of my caution and I went for the hit; as soon as I hit R1 I thought "NOOOOO, he's going to parry me," and he did. If only I'd used my whip again!
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:12 am

Odinbear wrote: Everybody keeps saying dedicated servers is the fix, but this is not true. Been playing Demon Souls lately and some of the worst lag I've seen is on the dedicated servers for that game. Lag is due to slow connections, Your and the other peoples connection for the most part. Dedicated servers do not speed up your connection.

I do not consider dedicated servers to be some sort of miracle fix, but they will definitely help reduce the number of BS you get based off of the host's lag. Obviously these servers would have to be "tweaked" in order to ensure that each person has an equal chance. For example, BF 3 has servers in which if you have bad connection you lag and get shot because while you're going commando in a tank, to everyone else, you're just standing in one spot or randomly running. Servers like this would definitely fix the amount of lagstab in the game. I mean for God's sake one time I ran towards someone and he BSed me. Dedicated, and improved, servers along with some sort of narrower BS window would definitely improve the online gameplay as far as BS are concerned.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:45 pm

You can play w/o backstabs on the Anor Londo rotating stairs, it is a lot of fun.

And doesn't an attack to one's back do additional damage even if it is not a BS? I usually see increased damage if I hit someone in the back with a CSS or crossbow bolt, for example.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:12 pm

hey its andres wrote:
    Odinbear wrote: Everybody keeps saying dedicated servers is the fix, but this is not true. Been playing Demon Souls lately and some of the worst lag I've seen is on the dedicated servers for that game. Lag is due to slow connections, Your and the other peoples connection for the most part. Dedicated servers do not speed up your connection.

I do not consider dedicated servers to be some sort of miracle fix, but they will definitely help reduce the number of BS you get based off of the host's lag. Obviously these servers would have to be "tweaked" in order to ensure that each person has an equal chance. For example, BF 3 has servers in which if you have bad connection you lag and get shot because while you're going commando in a tank, to everyone else, you're just standing in one spot or randomly running. Servers like this would definitely fix the amount of lagstab in the game. I mean for God's sake one time I ran towards someone and he BSed me. Dedicated, and improved, servers along with some sort of narrower BS window would definitely improve the online gameplay as far as BS are concerned.

i don't think that dedicated servers are the miracle fix that everyone assumes it is going to be. they aren't even a sort of fix to the problem. lag is a result of how fast your console/computer can communicate with the server (dedicated or p2p). to fix lag we would need faster internet services and servers that were local and region locked.

the only thing that dedicated servers will help to remedy are the online features of the game, such as messages, invasions, summons and the like.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Nybbles wrote: i don't think that dedicated servers are the miracle fix that everyone assumes it is going to be. they aren't even a sort of fix to the problem. lag is a result of how fast your console/computer can communicate with the server (dedicated or p2p). to fix lag we would need faster internet services and servers that were local and region locked.

the only thing that dedicated servers will help to remedy are the online features of the game, such as messages, invasions, summons and the like.

Dedicated servers would make it to wear it relies on each parties internet connection and if that connection was low they would lag at their own risk. As it is now, if the host has bad connection and you connect you are at their mercy.

Yes attacks that hit your back do a little bit more. I don't no specifics at all other than there is an increase if a player is hit in the back which is applicable to pve and pvp
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm

befowler wrote:You can play w/o backstabs on the Anor Londo rotating stairs, it is a lot of fun.

And doesn't an attack to one's back do additional damage even if it is not a BS? I usually see increased damage if I hit someone in the back with a CSS or crossbow bolt, for example.

Yes, it does increased damage.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:08 am

Yes headshots to indeed do critical, as shown with the large flow of blood that squirts out.
    FlorisFreakshow
    FlorisFreakshow
    Casual
    Casual

Post by FlorisFreakshow Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:29 am

Let it be reduced in easyness to perform one!
    What is the best anti BS tactic?
    psychichobo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by psychichobo Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:56 am

Hey, am only new here, but just posting my thoughts:

I'm not keen on backstabs myself, since every fight I've ever had against a non-Dark Magic user results in endless circling looking for that backstab opportunity.

I understand the principles of backstabs, but with the inevitable lag it increases the opportunity window to almost over 180 degrees. It's a bit daft really in practice.

Why not simply replace backstabs with a weapon specific move that occurs when you're behind them - one that doesn't necessarily lock them into a painful grapple-like animation?

For example:

- Greatswords, Ultra Greatswords, Great Hammers, Great Axes: Your character does a slightly faster swing (different weapons have different speeds) horizontally that smacks the opponent away landing on their face and does a lot more damage? This attack wouldn't lock them into an animation, but the knockdown effect and extra damage should be reward enough for being in an enemy's back arc.
    - Maces and Hammers: Your character delivers a sharp downward flick downwards onto the opponent, delivering more damage. If it hits the head, the opponent is also floored. No animation lock.
    - Daggers: Your character actually does grapple the opponent, locking one arm around their neck and using the weapon hand to drive it into their neck or back, causing a LOT of extra damage and potential bleed, before they slump to the floor. The added bonuses here reflect the fact you're using a short ranged weak weapon.
    - Spears: A sharp, slightly paralysing thrust to the lower spine, doing a little bit more damage. The bonus here is that the range of the backstab is extended due to the weapon's reach. No animation lock.
    - Fist weapons: Plenty of opportunity here for silly moves like necksnaps and suplexes.

Basically, if you include these with maybe a second or two for the opponent afterwards where they can't be backstabbed (to avoid any strange kind of chaining), you could probably add a lot of variety to the weapons without making every match be about circling until the window comes up for the insta-kill animation (especially as 90% of the time it seems to be people using Lightning Zweihanders...)
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 am

I don't know what to think of backstabs anymore, but I guess if they got removed I wouldn't miss them. I got nothing against the mechanic itself, but I got a lot against people that create their whole fighting around using them.

If you meet a "Thief class" character, let's say a nimble guy with a dagger, you expect him to do something cheap and his weapons are veen designed to be good at it. But when some guy with huge axe comes at you and all he does is bs fish, it's really sad to watch and annoying to fight.

My favourite kind is the MLGS spell spammer, that does only spam, bs fishing and loves to do MLGS 2H R2 on wake up. Not at all hard to defeat, but huge PITA to fight against, because it's boring.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:26 am

If we start removing all the most powerful moves, we'll be left with fighting with our fists. If BS were gone, then poise tanks would be the next over powered craze. We need to have something to counter that.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 am

reim0027 wrote:If we start removing all the most powerful moves, we'll be left with fighting with our fists. If BS were gone, then poise tanks would be the next over powered craze. We need to have something to counter that.
    Sounds like a Virtua Fighter (I wanted to say Tekken, but there's Yoshimitsu...). lol!

As I said, it isn't the mechanic itself as the people overusing it. But I can't remove people, or can I? twisted
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 am

IMO, backstabs should be backstabs. Not side stabs. Make the hitbox smaller and harder to pull off.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 am

reim0027 wrote:If we start removing all the most powerful moves, we'll be left with fighting with our fists. If BS were gone, then poise tanks would be the next over powered craze. We need to have something to counter that.

It is possible that I simply haven't fought a decent tank, but I find they are no harder to beat than everyone else even without backstabs.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:34 am

reim0027 wrote:IMO, backstabs should be backstabs. Not side stabs. Make the hitbox smaller and harder to pull off.
    Also got frontstabs and my favourite, 20metersawayfromyoustabs.

They will not be missed.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 am

Im a large fan of the. Double backstab, and the backstab that hits your for critical but your still perfectly mobile. Ever happen to anyone else? ^^
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 am

Samurainova wrote:Im a large fan of the. Double backstab, and the backstab that hits your for critical but your still perfectly mobile. Ever happen to anyone else? ^^
    I know this one, but I'm still not sure what to do when it happens to me...
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:03 pm

That happened a lot in DeS too.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:17 am

They're not bad necessarily, but I've had ten straight double backstabs with someone before.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:28 am