Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
CrackSouls
SenseOfSecurity
Slarg232
Emergence
aprilmanha
Carphil
DE5PA1R
Archandes
Myztyrio
Flankydizzle
Acarnatia
JumpsU3vs1
Hugh_G_Johnson
Johnthethird
GrinTwist
SirPatrick
tinypantha
Serious_Much
Sloth9230
will-yeah-buddy
WandererReece
BeeSeaEss
LunarFog
The Letter X
User1
29 posters

Do you want easy mode?

Poll

Want easy mode?

[ 3 ]
    Do you want easy mode? I_vote_lcap5%Do you want easy mode? I_vote_rcap [5%] 
    [ 61 ]
    Do you want easy mode? I_vote_lcap95%Do you want easy mode? I_vote_rcap [95%] 

Total Votes: 64
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Do you want easy mode? Empty Do you want easy mode?

Post by User1 Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:52 am

I don't know what you guys think, but I think it would take away the punishment for failures, and require you not to think about things, which is what I have loved about the Souls games.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Do you want easy mode? Empty Re: Do you want easy mode?

Post by The Letter X Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:15 am

No, I don't. I like that the Souls games have set difficulties, and I have a feeling easy mode would interfere with online gameplay one way or another.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:59 pm

if they set up an easy mode i'll be taking it out on the entire community
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:06 pm

LunarFog wrote:if they set up an easy mode i'll be taking it out on the entire community

Good luck with that :face: You'll have to get through me first. winking
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Why are people still posting about this?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/07/dark-souls-easy-mode-comments-were-mistranslated

Maybe it was a mistranslation. Maybe it wasn't. The point is From learned it's lesson and won't add it.
    will-yeah-buddy
    will-yeah-buddy

Post by will-yeah-buddy Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Insane mode only
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:12 pm

We have an "essay-mode", it's called "co-op".
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:22 pm

The only thing I want to ask is why there's a 'yes' option in the poll?
    tinypantha
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:39 pm

Serious_Much wrote:The only thing I want to ask is why there's a 'yes' option in the poll?
    Do you want easy mode? Abandon-Thread
    SirPatrick
    SirPatrick

Post by SirPatrick Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:17 pm

I voted for an easy mode as I think then it will mean they don't have to nerf the normal mode.

One thing I would like to add, if they do add the easy mode then they players should not be able to do PvP on easy, only the normal mode.

I really don't want the game to be made easier, but I think the series might become corrupted by cash hungry businesses, and a non-PVP (PvE only) easy mode is the only compromise. Best no compromise at all but I am being realistic to how companies are approaching the franchises.

If companies continue to water down the difficulty of games then it won't be worth an adult to buy the console for himself just to play easy kiddies games. There are only two franchises I like, Dark Souls and Killzone, the rest is rubbish for kids. If Dark souls and Killzone get ruined I will be off gaming for a while instead of buying and playing rubbish games that aren't worth the time.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:21 am

I would like to think we could stay away from an easy mode all together. I think if we were to have a "mode" we should start at normal difficulty (which would be NG difficulty) and progress further on. It wouldn't matter to me as I'm opposed to selecting difficulty to begin with, it will more than likely wipe out the need for NG+.

I'm actually with Lunar as far as "easy mode" goes, if there is still invasion as PVP those players are going to die quickly because they won't be able to stand up to players that are already veterans of the PVP system.
    Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Johnthethird Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:11 am

The skill of the average dark souls fan has gone up not down. Therefore, we need it to be more difficult and challenging.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:41 am

Only if worked like this and is then followed up by this.

After you die a certain amount of times in a level, the game will give you the option of playing on "easy mode". If you take it, then you won't be able to get some items, like slabs and therefore the 100% achievement, and you won't be able to PVP, or co-op, on that character... ever. The game, and I, will also make fun of you at every chance it gets.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:48 am

Sloth9230 wrote:Only if worked like this and is then followed up by this.

After you die a certain amount of times in a level, the game will give you the option of playing on "easy mode". If you take it, then you won't be able to get some items, like slabs and therefore the 100% achievement, and you won't be able to PVP, or co-op, on that character... ever. The game, and I, will also make fun of you at every chance it gets.

That's a good idea, but perhaps a bit harsh. Obviously; people on easy mode have no place in pvp, but I don't see why they should be kept out of co-op. As a wise man once said co-op is already the easy mode. If some poor dude can't beat a level with co-op, then easy mode probably won't help without co-op.

On the other hand, screw easy mode.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Co-op would allow them to trade any item they might need, then it would just be minor inconvenience.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Mockery of easy mode sounds good. I think just having the option, but upon selecting it all that happens is messages such as 'you're joking, right?' or 'you don't deserve to die' come up on the screen.

Alternatively easy mode can be everything moves at half speed and dies in one hit, regardless of being rat or final boss.
    JumpsU3vs1
    Casual
    Casual

Post by JumpsU3vs1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Yeah sure, why not?

Like most other games, the standard way they evolve games is to make them more casual. They've done this with things like FPS games, with aim assist, so there is no reason the Souls series shouldn't be exempt from this trend.

Let the try hards be try hards, so I don't have a problem with hard mode either.

WTB Casual Souls!!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:37 pm

JumpsU3vs1 wrote:Yeah sure, why not?

Like most other games, the standard way they evolve games is to make them more casual. They've done this with things like FPS games, with aim assist, so there is no reason the Souls series shouldn't be exempt from this trend.

Let the try hards be try hards, so I don't have a problem with hard mode either.

WTB Casual Souls!!

I wouldn't classify that occurrence as 'evolution' as much as 'giving up' or 'selling out'
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:13 pm

Was that ComaPrison-level sarcasm or was he or she being serious?
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Acarnatia wrote:Was that ComaPrison-level sarcasm or was he or she being serious?

Judging from his other posts, I am inclined to believe he is serious.
    JumpsU3vs1
    Casual
    Casual

Post by JumpsU3vs1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    JumpsU3vs1 wrote:Yeah sure, why not?

WTB Casual Souls!!

I wouldn't classify that occurrence as 'evolution' as much as 'giving up' or 'selling out'

Whatever you want to call it. But that is just what happens to lots of series of games over time. How many games let you "retry" instead of seeing the dreaded game over screen now? This kinda stuff is modern gaming, love it or hate it.
    Flankydizzle
    Flankydizzle
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Flankydizzle Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Not being elitist or anything but I don't want noobs going on about how easy Dark Souls 2 is while conveniently not mentioning they played on the easy setting. Dark Souls is pretty much easy mode anyway once you get used to it.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Flankydizzle wrote:Not being elitist or anything but I don't want noobs going on about how easy Dark Souls 2 is while conveniently not mentioning they played on the easy setting. Dark Souls is pretty much easy mode anyway once you get used to it.

That's sorta like saying being a diploma standard musician is easy once you've achieved it..

Jumps, the point I was making is there is a difference between pandering to the masses, and being sensible. The 'game over' screen has died out because of two main factors. 1- games are much longer now, and expecting someone to be perfect all the way through is near impossible. 2- The game over screen was used by games designers back when everything was arcade simply so that players would keep feeding money into the machine.

Anyway, your analogy doesn't really work, something I'd use is skyrim- it got trimmed down and actioned up. This made it more commercial, but a worse overall game as the shift in focus wasn't taken into account in other parts of the game such as the painfully dated combat mechanics, so the game was inadequate to suit it's new direction.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:56 pm

The Souls games aren't made for casuals. Note that the Souls team are known for The Dev Team Thinks of Everything Trope.
    By the same point (this is just how it is now) all other countries besides the US will be better off if everyone loses his or her home to the bank. Just because most games that come out today are made for people that won't give the amount of dedication that the Souls Series has demanded to be successful at it does not mean that the Souls Series will be better off if it follows suit. The market for less dedicated and/or patient gamers is already enormous; let us keep one of our few hardcore series.

I trust the creators will maintain the difficulty necessary to stay true to the soul of this series. Miyazaki says he does, too.

JumpsU3vs1
    Casual
    Casual

Post by JumpsU3vs1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm

I played Demon's Souls after I played Dark Souls, and honestly I think Demon's Souls is a little more hardcore. I found it to be a tougher game, and PVP is even less forgiving. The world tendency to pure black made your average mobs really dangerous, and players had lower HP bars in general. Less padding for damage. And the BP NPCs were 1hko machines, like Satsuki. Dark Souls is casual compared to that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:34 am