Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+28
HereticForLife
RevolverSnake
jimmyc0341
badandboy
TehInfamousAmos
Glaesel
Shakie666
fujiphoenix
Sentiel
JohnnyHarpoon
Quarik
Slarg232
Carphil
steveswede
Halicarnassis
Infighter
Serious_Much
Avenger649
Saturday-Saint
RANT
aceluby
BeeSeaEss
twigsterxd
ResIsBestStat
AnCapaillMor
raecor14
Hatsune Miku
Zeta Prime
32 posters

Game of Thrones

Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Game of Thrones - Page 3 Empty Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Quarik Thu May 09, 2013 4:50 am

ABSOLUTELY CANNOT STAND THE SHOW. HATE IT. HATE.

Adore the books. So many awesome characters and awesomer subplots interacting with each other... Read them all several times, then read them again for good measure.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Thu May 09, 2013 5:07 am

Sex and naked bodies...of like 14-year-olds...are a common theme in George R. R. Martin's fantasy books.

It's a reflection of the pseudo-time period more than anything else. I mean, how many marriages throughout middle-European history were arranged with ridiculous age disparities? Then, when you think about it, arranged marriages were probably more on the legitimate side of that topic.

Poor women became whores...rich people liked whores...during war, women were seen as spoils.

World history is plagued with this stuff, just like it was inbred royalty, corrupt public officers, barbarians, violence, and a million other things that seem stereotypical.

Now, I haven't finished the books or anything, but I feel a looming point has always been that we are getting this glance into how things happened - secrets are going to be buried, wars are going to end, winners will write the history. But this...this is the how it happened.

I understand, too, that it is not a piece of historical fiction, but fantasy. However, failing to acknowledge the historical aspects in all fantasy would kind of ruin a lot of it and be more or less impossible, and I think how it is incorporated throughout George Martin's writing is unique, and he attempts to stab at it in a more realistic and grounded fashion.

Even the fantasy aspects strive to be more realistic - alchemy and wildfire are secrets afforded only to the rich, actual miracles surprise the clerics as much as they do the reader, etc.

So, the show is on HBO and exploits the fact that they are allowed to show nudity. There were strippers in half the episodes - hell, maybe most of the episodes - of The Sopranos, but it wasn't like every scene was dictated by it. They owned and operated a strip club, they're mobsters, of course they're going to hang out there. Some episodes were more about it than others, and one of the best episodes involved a stripper as one of its main characters.

Really, the bottom line is, in these characters' lives, sometimes people get naked. Sometimes people even have sex. That's all. What's the big deal?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 09, 2013 5:15 am

Yeah.. it's not the nudity i have a problem with to be honest. When there are scenes in a **** house, of course they're gonna be pretty much naked, just like the girls in the strip club, thats just good scene setting.

I think it's just more the whole scenes of theon having sex with some random bird. It's not like it needs to be there, or it has any relevance to the plot. The show is made so slow and threadbare anyways I'd be glad if they removed some of the sex scenes to allow a bit more progression in each episode
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu May 09, 2013 5:31 am

Serious_Much wrote:I think it's just more the whole scenes of theon having sex with some random bird. It's not like it needs to be there, or it has any relevance to the plot. The show is made so slow and threadbare anyways I'd be glad if they removed some of the sex scenes to allow a bit more progression in each episode

Exposition can be very boring to tell in TV/movies and it's the one thing books can get away with due to length and the acceptance of reading the thoughts of characters. Sure we could have had overly long and expensive scenes but to have sex scenes to spice up and keep short these boring exposition scenes was kinda necessary. The reason we don't see it so much now is because most of the exposition is over with and we are now concentrating on the now.

BTW while I haven't read GOT, Theon's sex scene with the woman on the boat is in the book and IIRC, him having sex with Osha is in the book as well.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu May 09, 2013 8:19 am

I love Game of Thrones, but I seriously can't remember most of the characters.

This will be embarrassing, but here I go...

I cheer for Denerys (white haired dragon lady). Kinda like her attitude the most so far.
    I also like Tywin and Tyrion (old and short Lanysters), those two are always hilarious. big grin
    I hate Jofrey. I swear to god, when they kill him, I will make a gif out of that scene and put it everywhere. He is the #1 most annoying character I ever saw. Even that annoying pink hag from Harry Potter didn't piss me off as much as Jofrey does.

I'm amazed my lady started to watch it with me, given the amount of sex and incest going on in there, but hey, it was fun to see that guy make his way with the girl, only to find out they're siblings. That made me lol.
    Also that scene where Tyrion hired three girls for that boy and he got the service for free. Guy is a talk of whole King's Landing now. Made me burst out laughing. lol

I hope none of those are considered spoilers.
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Thu May 09, 2013 9:15 am

@ Sentiel: Hahaha! Mate if you make a gif then I'm am gonna p1ss myself laughing everytime. Cant wait.

Regards the sex scenes; the book is rife with them. Johnnyharpoon (welcome back mate) hit the nial on the head really; our own dark ages and middle ages were rife with arranged marriages and women having babies and becoming pregnant once they started "flowering". 25 years old used to be considered middle aged!

I really enjoy the show, but old George is gonna have to start writing his fingers to the bone. The fifth book is basically a carbon copy of the last half of book 4 with 12 new chapters; a very disappointing read.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Thu May 09, 2013 9:25 am

Ok dudes i've read the books but if i hadn't and was just watching the series i'd hunt ye down. Ever hear of spoiler tags.

Oh yeah 5th book turned me off the series altogether, it's like he runs into a corner and every solution was llets kill another main character, it had it's charm in the first few books but is getting tiresome now.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu May 09, 2013 11:57 am

Tin foil hat moment

aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Thu May 09, 2013 1:39 pm

steveswede wrote:Tin foil hat moment

That would be a kind of cool twist if true... I have noticed that she's not really the same character as in the books
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 09, 2013 2:40 pm

steveswede wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:I think it's just more the whole scenes of theon having sex with some random bird. It's not like it needs to be there, or it has any relevance to the plot. The show is made so slow and threadbare anyways I'd be glad if they removed some of the sex scenes to allow a bit more progression in each episode

Exposition can be very boring to tell in TV/movies and it's the one thing books can get away with due to length and the acceptance of reading the thoughts of characters. Sure we could have had overly long and expensive scenes but to have sex scenes to spice up and keep short these boring exposition scenes was kinda necessary. The reason we don't see it so much now is because most of the exposition is over with and we are now concentrating on the now.

BTW while I haven't read GOT, Theon's sex scene with the woman on the boat is in the book and IIRC, him having sex with Osha is in the book as well.

I dont get why having sex in a scene makes the exposition any shorter?

Things being in the book doesn't mean it should be in there.. There's a LOT in the book not in the show.. It's obvious why they put the sex scenes in rather than the other important story points- they want the teenage kids with no attention span to watch it too.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Thu May 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Changing subject, my favorite character in this Season its not Tiryon anymore, since he barely has any chance to be funny, to Margaery Grandma. Seriously, that woman its AMAZING! How can she be the only one to actually confront Twin in his FACE! And plus, shes is very inteligent and making a hell of a plot to bring down the lannisters! Also shes funny in every scene shes in

Please no book spoilers!
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Thu May 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Carphil wrote:Changing subject, my favorite character in this Season its not Tiryon anymore, since he barely has any chance to be funny, to Margaery Grandma. Seriously, that woman its AMAZING! How can she be the only one to actually confront Twin in his FACE! And plus, shes is very inteligent and making a hell of a plot to bring down the lannisters! Also shes funny in every scene shes in

Please no book spoilers!

They call her 'The Queen of Thorns', and I agree, she's one of my favorite characters as well.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu May 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Queen of Thorns is a brilliant character in the books and Diana Rigg does an amazing job as her.

Serious_Much wrote:
    steveswede wrote:

I dont get why having sex in a scene makes the exposition any shorter?

Things being in the book doesn't mean it should be in there.. There's a LOT in the book not in the show.. It's obvious why they put the sex scenes in rather than the other important story points- they want the teenage kids with no attention span to watch it too.

If you don't like what HBO do then you could always read the books and skip all the sex scenes in there you find offensive.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 pm

The only problem i ever had with the sex scenes, was sitting with the auld fella and my eldest sister in the sitting room as Mayor CarcettI(littlefinger) gave whores instructions on what to do to each other. Bastards already had a cup of tea so i'd no excuse to leave the room. Man that was uncomfortable.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu May 09, 2013 3:17 pm

On the subject of Littlefinger, the series has done an amazing job of fleshing him out. You never really get a sense of how evil he his in the books like you do in the series.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 09, 2013 3:35 pm

steveswede wrote:

If you don't like what HBO do then you could always read the books and skip all the sex scenes in there you find offensive.

Lol. I think you're being a bit silly if you think I'm actually objecting to the sex scenes due to them being 'offensive'

It's more that they waste screen time with stuff like that rather than actually advancing the plot more or bringing in other things they left out. As I said, sex scenes between danaeris and drogo were a great example of game of thrones using it well- there was actually significance and character progression within it. These however are few and far between really.

I think my.. it's not really annoyance as much as just boredom of sex scenes, is just kinda compounded from the fact that virtually nothing happens in each episode and most scenes end up just being light touches of insignificance to anything.

Much as I like GoT, it's one of those shows where unless you watch it in a marathon its painfully slow to get anywhere
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu May 09, 2013 3:48 pm

I have to admit this season is rather sluggish and I agree you really are better off watching a marathon run of each season. Hopefully it will be a good episode next week with a certain event happening in a pit (trying not to spoil anything here but that scene was really good in the book).
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Yeah steve I heard off my mate whos read the books there's a really good bit that will be used to end this season, really looking forward to it..

I get the feeling Jamie might be the recipient of it.. But that's just a wild guess outta nowhere..

I really hope it's joffrey though- that kid is such a little ****
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Thu May 09, 2013 11:48 pm

I'm always scared that HBO might not get through their enitire adaption of the books.. if season 3 is only half of book three we may see a continual increase in seasons and that may turn alot of people off. i guess it just boils down to the ammount of money made... i just want them to finish it.. anybody watch anyother HBO television? do the series get far?
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Fri May 10, 2013 9:02 am

Yeah i've been watching True Blood from HBO and they're in season 5 i think, but the chick who writes the books is upto book 13 or something silly. I only watch it for the blood and the sex mind you.

Game of Thrones however, I mean there are some great characters in there. I still think Tyrion is my favorite and now that Jamie has been brought down to earth we get to see the new man coming to the front. There is still alot to get through in the show though.. nailbiting stuff and sweating bullets
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri May 10, 2013 9:18 am

IF i ever moved to the states, it'd be to get HBO. Some of my favourite tv shows are from HBO, soprano's, Oz, the wire, curb your entusiasm, boardwalk empire.

BTW i wouldn't go by true bloods books, they're actually pretty bad(for a dude anyways) and are mainly about whatsherface with everyone else a very minor character. Got halfways through book 2 and couldn't read anymore.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 am

HBO seem to like shows that go for a while. Sopranos only ended after the creator wanted it to after 6 (basically 7) seasons, the wire lasted 5 seasons.

As long as game of thrones continues to rake in viewers and the illegal downloads it'll keep going.. But it's almost inevitable that it will take a different course to stop it getting too long.. If they split up the books into halves for every season from now on, with 2 more books coming out at least.. We'll have 12 seasons overall on our hands :|
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri May 10, 2013 10:56 am

Halicarnassis wrote:Yeah i've been watching True Blood from HBO and they're in season 5 i think, but the chick who writes the books is upto book 13 or something silly. I only watch it for the blood and the sex mind you.

Game of Thrones however, I mean there are some great characters in there. I still think Tyrion is my favorite and now that Jamie has been brought down to earth we get to see the new man coming to the front. There is still alot to get through in the show though.. nailbiting stuff and sweating bullets

do not read the books, they're so badly written, kinda like twilight. and whoever said little finger is evil? I don't think he's evil at all and he's one of my favorite characters since he really knows how to play the game of thrones better than anyone.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Fri May 10, 2013 11:01 am

Poliwrath wrote:I'm always scared that HBO might not get through their enitire adaption of the books.. if season 3 is only half of book three we may see a continual increase in seasons and that may turn alot of people off. i guess it just boils down to the ammount of money made... i just want them to finish it.. anybody watch anyother HBO television? do the series get far?

I'm more worried that the author of the books will die before he finishes them. He's only half way through writing book 6, which is expected to be about 50% longer than the other books, and then another 3-5 years at least before book 7. I don't see that guy living 10 more years unfortunately...

As for the length of the series, I see it going down as follows

2013 - 1st half of book 3
    2014 - last half
    2015 - half of book 4 AND half of book 5
    2016 - Rest of book 4/5
    2017 - book 6
    2018 - book 7

For a total of 8 seasons, long, but not extraordinarily so. They will probably extend books 6 & 7 as well making it 10 seasons... still not 'too' bad. The one nice thing is that if the author does die, the creators of the show already know (roughly) how the series is going to end as well as who the main characters are that live and die, so hopefully if the books don't get finished we'll still be able to see the end...

aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Fri May 10, 2013 11:07 am

RantFromRant wrote:
    Halicarnassis wrote:Yeah i've been watching True Blood from HBO and they're in season 5 i think, but the chick who writes the books is upto book 13 or something silly. I only watch it for the blood and the sex mind you.

do not read the books, they're so badly written, kinda like twilight. and whoever said little finger is evil? I don't think he's evil at all and he's one of my favorite characters since he really knows how to play the game of thrones better than anyone.

Oh... he's evil... he's the puppet master that you don't even know is holding the strings...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 6:15 pm