Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
WaLKA
passivefamiliar
ResIsBestStat
ErrJon6661
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Wolfsbane
User1
Sentiel
13 posters

Dragon's Dogma (contains massive spoilers - like those on cars, but...bigger)

Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Dragon's Dogma (contains massive spoilers - like those on cars, but...bigger) - Page 2 Empty Re: Dragon's Dogma (contains massive spoilers - like those on cars, but...bigger)

Post by Sentiel Wed May 01, 2013 7:42 am

WaLKA wrote:-Also on xbox.-

Well. If you do have to resort to Speedrunning to get it later, it's pretty easy to do once you get all the portcrystals set up. That being said, I'm really surprised no one on the DD Gamefaqs helped you. They're usually really good at that. That's how I got all my DLC equipment in vanilla DD.
    I'm not familiar with gamefaqs.
    I found a thread with 15 pages focused only on trading and gifting and I even made a thread of my own.
    My thread kinda dissapeared, or got burried, can't really say and my post was left unaswered. I also pointed out to contact me directly via PSN, because it's way more convenient than visit gamefaqs.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Why do non-enemies like bats and rats keep 1-shotting me?
    I got slaughtered by bats several times on Hard Mode when I tried to do the quest in the well.
    Best thing to do is raise your shield and let pawns kill them. As for rats, I never got attacked by one so far.
    RenegadeCop wrote:It's a hard game.
    Very hard.
    I'm level 40, currently Ranger, my pawn is Sorcerer, I carry around my lady's pawn on level 16, who is a Fighter, but can't tank for the life of me and usually one random. I'm at the part where I should do Wyrmhunt Quests, but I went exploring instead. Cleared Ancient Quarry, Went to Bluemoon Tower, killed some flying necromancer in Cursed Woods, and currently dealing with the band of all female bandits. I hope I won't ruin the story, or something, because I found the Dragonforged guy some time ago by pure accident. Anyway, it's all on Hard Mode, my first run and I have no idea what I'm doing and it's not hard at all. Yes, pawns can screw up big time and we get killed, but if I prepare accordingly to the place I'm about to go, there's never a problem. I wouldn't call the game hard at all. All games should be like this. Breezing through the story and slaughtering everything without a second thought, or any skill usage is really lame.

My hardest fight so far was that flying necromancer thing, because the piece of sh*t kept spamming some stat spell and did a black hole spell that instakilled one of my pawns. He also kept summoning skeletons as if that was not enough and to make the things even beter, in the middle of the fight, a goddamn chimera showed up and flanked us. I got so desparate I used up all of my Blast Arrows with that attack that shoots ten arrows at once. Poor chimera got third of a bar stolen for a single use of that thing.

Loving Ranger so far. big grin Can't wait to try the rest.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Dragon's Dogma (contains massive spoilers - like those on cars, but...bigger) - Page 2 Empty Re: Dragon's Dogma (contains massive spoilers - like those on cars, but...bigger)

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 pm

T-thanks, WaLKA. big grin
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 pm

Sentiel, I guess a better word to describe what I think of the game is punishing more than difficult.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Sentiel wrote:
    I'm level 40, currently Ranger, my pawn is Sorcerer, I carry around my lady's pawn on level 16, who is a Fighter, but can't tank for the life of me and usually one random. I'm at the part where I should do Wyrmhunt Quests, but I went exploring instead. Cleared Ancient Quarry, Went to Bluemoon Tower, killed some flying necromancer in Cursed Woods, and currently dealing with the band of all female bandits. I hope I won't ruin the story, or something, because I found the Dragonforged guy some time ago by pure accident. Anyway, it's all on Hard Mode, my first run and I have no idea what I'm doing and it's not hard at all. Yes, pawns can screw up big time and we get killed, but if I prepare accordingly to the place I'm about to go, there's never a problem. I wouldn't call the game hard at all. All games should be like this. Breezing through the story and slaughtering everything without a second thought, or any skill usage is really lame.

You're exactly right. ITs not a hard game. The game strives to make you prepare for the area you're about to go to, and if you can't do that then be prepared for anything that comes. If you are the game isn't too hard its just time consuming. If you aren't prepared however it is very hard. What I really like is there are some situations were pure skill will not save you.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu May 02, 2013 5:10 am

I can see why people see it as hard.
    As I said, I'm on Hard Mode and currently leveling up my Mage and my pawn got switched to Fighter.

I went to woods and got one shotted by a leaping Chimera, even though I have 1900+ HP. Lesseon learned, I know the Chimera is in there, so I climbed a high rock and spammed spells in it's face...faces, while it kept attacking the rock.
    Same was done to the two Ogres by The Abbey, although I had to go revive my pawns a few times. There's a big stone nearby, that can be climbed only from one side, so it's safe to stay there.

I noticed the game is very fair in this regard. Pawns tell you what to do and you always get a helping hand from the game, although many may not notice it. There's always a handy explosive barrel, place to get advantage, or to retreat to, ballista, or healing items.

That said, I'm still having a hard time fighting Ogres. Ranger made swift work of them with Tenfold spam, but spells don't do enough damage. Not yet, at least...
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Thu May 02, 2013 5:15 am

Just give them a bit of time. Make sure to wear magic boosting items too. When you upgrade them they'll make a huge difference.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu May 02, 2013 6:13 am

I agree with the part about the spells. I'm running a Mystic Knight (hope that's a good class) but I favor my sword over my staff 95% of the time because it simply does more damage. I bought all the basic spells up to high quality and that unlocked some higher-tier spells, I'll be buying those out too and see what's what. I also need a better staff in truth, I could just buy one (I have LOADS of money; cashola seems really easy to come buy in this game) but my preference would be finding one in my exploration.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu May 02, 2013 6:17 am

Well, given the time it takes to cast a spell and the damage dealt to enemies without specific elemental weakness, they suck big time. So far.

With Ranger, I could snipe weaker enemies from insane ranges and the tougher ones always fell to Tenfold spam in matter of seconds. Not to mention debilitating arrows, which make a lot of fights very easy.

I guess, I'll have to wait to use Sorcerer to be able to do some decent damage.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu May 02, 2013 7:37 am

WaLKA wrote:I'm really surprised no one on the DD Gamefaqs helped you. They're usually really good at that. That's how I got all my DLC equipment in vanilla DD.
    You can take a look for yourself.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/66077632
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Thu May 02, 2013 9:06 am

@sentiel - just received my copy of Dark Arisen. Will stick it in the PS3 at some point over this bank holiday weekend. . .
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu May 02, 2013 9:18 am

I think you have me in Friend List, right?
    If that's so, you can hire my pawn. But she's level 50, so if you want, I can give her weak gear, so she doesn't insta kill everything.
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Thu May 02, 2013 9:29 am

@ sentiel: Yup, got you. I finished DD1 so my pawn may be around still... not sure... Big guy? Two-handed sword? Kills stuff? lol!

I'll make sure i nab yours happy
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu May 02, 2013 9:58 am

It's possible. I choose pawns based sorely on their skillset and inclinations. Gear doesn't matter. I'm willing to buy the gear for them, provided the pawn is good enough. I'm travelling with a level 18 pawn that belongs to my lady and I had to buy him better gear, so he doesn't get one shotted. silly
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 am

Lol! Kinda looking forward to it again now happy
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri May 03, 2013 5:35 am

I'm starting to hate Mage and Sorcerer. Those spells look badass and I must say that this game has the best archer and caster classes I have ever seen. However, they are very slow, the damage still sucks, even if I boost it and I can't block, nor evade with them.

It's good to have a caster as a backup for bosses and such, but archers, while doing less damage, are faster and can move while using ranged attacks and the rest can block, or just simply jump onto the boss and do massive damage that way. Griffin, Cyclops and Ogre fall to mages like nothing, but the rest of them just don't care.

I've met a Drake in Devilforge. Totally suprised the :dung: out of me. :affraid:
    Needless to say, I died and gave up on it after a few attempts. Maybe after I'll stop being a mage, I'll try again. Even if I manage to cast something, which is hard as it is, it does minimal damage to it. While my measly level 20 Fighter pawn just jumps on it's back and does a helluva lot more damage than my boosted High Gicel.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon May 06, 2013 10:35 pm

So... Portcrystals. I know they are a fast travel mechanic but how do they work exactly? I've found a few but I just put them in storage because I don't really know much about them.

And I ran into that same Drake, Sentiel. It killed me like 3 times and on the 4th attempt I got its horn before it flew away. :|
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Tue May 07, 2013 12:27 am

You place the portcrystals at locations you want to warp between. THen when you use a ferrystone you can choose any location with a port crystal. I always try and have at least one on me so that if Im in the middle of a dungeon or something and need more healing items or collect too much stuff I can just drop the crystal then warp back and forth real fast. Its cool because if you placed it you can pick it back up and re place it whenever.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue May 07, 2013 1:55 am

I just finished the quest entitled Griffin's Bane and at the of it there was a Portcrystal. I picked it up and clicked "Use" in order to place it back down but I got a message saying something to the effect of "this is not the area to use this."

What's going on?
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Tue May 07, 2013 9:37 am

@ Sentiel: mate I've taken on your pawn; not a bad set of skills on the old gal!

On another note; its a pity the new disc doenst have the priginal opening tune from the B's as the opening song. That one really made me wanna rock the room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0CxIJBHBVQ
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I just finished the quest entitled Griffin's Bane and at the of it there was a Portcrystal. I picked it up and clicked "Use" in order to place it back down but I got a message saying something to the effect of "this is not the area to use this."

What's going on?

You can't place them inside a dungeon I believe. But anywhere within a city or on the map should work.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Tue May 07, 2013 4:48 pm

A dumb question: Is the save game you have from the original compatible with the Dark Arisen version? Or do you have to start again?
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue May 07, 2013 8:07 pm

my sister kept her character and gear but the all the quests seem to have reset, thing is the monsters also got a bit tougher so it may have dropped her into something like a ng+... anyway yeah your character and gear and stored junk are all preserved from game to game.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed May 08, 2013 5:01 am

@Pendant

I managed to kill the Drake soon after I posted the message. silly
    It got stuck on a huge stone, so I kept shooting arrows at it's heart and it died after few minutes of tenfold spam. My Gloves of Might got Dragonforged. :O

You can place Portcrystals only on the world map, outside of any location.
    So far, I found five Portcrystals.

@Halicarnassis
    Thank you. happy
    I'm experimenting with her a lot and wanted her to learn all Vocations first. Now she's level 100 and is finally back to being my full time support mage. Well that is what I would like, but I'm having serious issues with her right now and even Gamefaqs fail to help me. sad

Once I reached post-game she totally stopped listening to me.
    I want her to only buff weapons and heal, but she doesn't do that anymore. I reseted her Inclinations and gave her 14 Medicant and 15 Utilitarian Potions. She only has Ice and Holy Affinity with High Anodyne, High Halidom and some random stuff I feel like throwing there, if any at all and she just stands there and does nothing. Even if I order her to do something, she just stands there, no response, no buffing, healing, nada.
    Sometimes she starts shooting from her staff, or goes cuckoo and attempts to climb on a Hydra, or something.

I don't know what to do with her...
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Wed May 08, 2013 5:36 am

Sentinel, I used her last night and she was buffing like crazy! I'm in NG+ as well.
    Have you tried completing a few minor quests? Or resting?
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Wed May 08, 2013 5:36 am

Try talking to her too. Maybe she's just lonely and needing love

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:22 pm