Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
Rynn
jimmyc0341
roanispe
IIdoneus
Latitoast
Nybbles
EeAyEss
Ghadis_God
Noob-of-Artorias
Forum Pirate
CarverUpqik
ICEFANG
Myztyrio
hey its andres
ErrJon6661
Jansports
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Satoshi
Animaaal
Elifia
skarekrow13
Saturday-Saint
RANT
Dibsville
Seignar
User1
kazumoshi
31 posters

"Advanced" tier weapons.

hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

"Advanced" tier weapons. - Page 6 Empty Re: "Advanced" tier weapons.

Post by hey its andres Wed May 08, 2013 2:16 pm

The scythe and other halberds have a great 2h strong attack (double spin ftw). The only disadvantage is that it's easy as hell to parry if you're not careful.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed May 08, 2013 3:53 pm

Animaaal wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:...Thats not dps...

It certainly is. But yes, swing speed contributes directly to dps, just as much as damage per hit.

Forum Pirate wrote:...There is also that the ugs stun locks...

Nothing stunlocks until poise is broken.

As far as the scenario: Depends, I can see that, but I can see this one as well...

-Washing Pole and UGS start swing animation at the exact same time at the edge of weapon connection.
    -Ugs misses, Washing Pole connects draining 30 poise.
    -Both weapons swing again this time the UGS connects draining 75 poise, and the Washing Pole draining 30 again, however the WP connects before the UGS weapon.
    -WP is able to swing for the 3rd time draining a total of 90 poise, before the UGS weapon can swing again inflicting a total of 150 poise damage, thereby making the WP the victor, and nullifying the UGS 2nd swing altogether.

There are other scenarios we can play out, but katanas can win exchange battles. At least a lot more than they are given credit for in this thread so far.

Should you go in spamming carelessly? No. But that can be said about any weapon.
    The washing pole generally does even less damage than the uchi. If both players have 76 poise, the katana will stun first, I already said that, but they don't stun lock and the ugs does so the 3rd swing (the second gets interrupted) of the zweih can and will stunlock and kill the katana user.

They don't stunlock like halberds/ugs/curved swords/curved great swords do, they don't get leo damage from every hit (during the spam contest) like spears/rapiers, they can't hit stun bs like the greatswords/ugs/halberds/curved great swords.

In trades, (which is all a spam contest is) katana are at a disadvantage against just about every weapon/class. As such, trading is rarely a good idea while using such a low damage weapon.

And no. DPS is either literal, as in the damage done in exactly 1 second, or an average, as in how much damage is done in 10 seconds, divided by 10. How fast the katana makes individual swings is not dps. Its swing speed.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed May 08, 2013 5:45 pm

@forum :pirat:

Fine. I never said katanas win every exchange, just that they can win.

Also, thank you for this:

Forum Pirate wrote:...they don't get leo damage from every hit (during the spam contest) like spears/rapiers...

Not every rapier though, and also…Lucerne.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu May 09, 2013 4:23 am

Going back to the OP, I feel that if you use a katana for cosplaying (and make it look good) or just bring some new and interesting way to fight to the table, then you are getting a "lower tier" weapon and making things more interesting.

For example, I fought a guy who was only doing zweihander roll attacks and a claw (or some other odd weapon). I think we should encourage Dark Souls diversity!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:46 am