Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+39
eminusx
Shakie666
Rollo-99
PSneep
Marionx
Lorrac ESP
Major_kenny
Hereticool
Argetlam350
Silver Mont
Animaaal
princevalvick664
RANT
Sentiel
Dutchy
tofucactaur
Aevun
OmarTheFuzzy
passivefamiliar
vegan666
amaro57
R3dlace
Serious_Much
Emergence
SlothAlmighty
Seignar
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Slarg232
SadPanda
Jim Jam 94
StiffNipples
Halicarnassis
Sargerus
Saturday-Saint
Hue
Looking Glass Mind
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
O1va_
Steel Dragon74
43 posters

Thoughts on the sheild design winners

Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Thoughts on the sheild design winners - Page 3 Empty Re: Thoughts on the sheild design winners

Post by Sentiel Fri May 24, 2013 11:36 am

Not much of a grammar nazi myself, but R.I.P. Engrish.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Thoughts on the sheild design winners - Page 3 Empty Re: Thoughts on the sheild design winners

Post by RANT Fri May 24, 2013 12:25 pm

the only reason marcus won is because of fanboys, while it is well made I don't think it fits the whole dark souls theme. and it was rigged because my shields didn't win of course.
    princevalvick664
    princevalvick664

Post by princevalvick664 Fri May 24, 2013 1:06 pm

I found all the shields to be just fine. Despite the large shield not having a fitting place in the setting of Dark Souls, I think its pretty nice to have a tribute to a popular Dark Souls fan.

Most likely, I'll be using the shield of ash since I prefer a light build for my first playthrough. Since small shields have poor physical defense, I'm wondering what kind of element defenses it will have.

The Ire shield is pretty interesting. I think From Software could wipe out an interesting lore for the shield.
    Aevun
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Aevun Fri May 24, 2013 5:41 pm

To all the people who think the pig shield doesn't fit:

Imagine a new enemy type. Bipedal boars with weapons. Kinda like Ganon from OoT.

There. Now it fits at least partially.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri May 24, 2013 6:22 pm

well.. we do have armored turtle men coming up so pig men might not be far off... still prefer resilience.
    Steel Dragon74
    Steel Dragon74
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Steel Dragon74 Sat May 25, 2013 12:17 am

Dear god what have I started here?
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat May 25, 2013 2:29 am

I hate the pig. Love ENB, but HATE the pig.

If they really wanted to give a tribute, there could be the same pigface statue with candles burning in its eyes, and a corpse on the ground next to it sitting up almost pointing at something on the wall that says,
    Spoiler:

Some of the other shields kinda suck too. Like "Liberty"?!?!? I wuv my red white and blue man...but come on. Look Skyward

Oh, and thank you Hachuma for the pics thumbs up
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat May 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Aevun wrote:To all the people who think the pig shield doesn't fit:

Imagine a new enemy type. Bipedal boars with weapons. Kinda like Ganon from OoT.

There. Now it fits at least partially.

Alternatively, a Fatty with this shield and the Razor Boar Helm.
    Silver Mont
    Silver Mont
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Silver Mont Sun May 26, 2013 2:45 pm

I like Iron Oak Tall.

As for the whole ENB thing? I don't personally feel like he deserves it. I've watched his videos since near the beginning, and I enjoy them, but I don't really understand the logic that just because he made a lot of videos, that means he should be put into the game.

Or are we saying that he should be put into the game because he has "done a lot for the community" ? In which case you need to put in a Reddit and 4chan shield, because those are the communities you have to thank.

Then again, /dsg/ won 2 out of 3 regions and have a lot of spots in the top 30.
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Sun May 26, 2013 5:59 pm

For the kite shield I really like the Hellkite shield and the Scudo Mortis.
    The round shields I like Brethren.
    Finally I really like Iron Oak Tall.
    Those are just my choices and hopefully the ones that get picked.
    Hereticool
    Hereticool

Post by Hereticool Sun May 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Sentiel wrote:
    How did the contest was this time? Winner decided by number of likes?
    The winners of the first phase of the contest were decided by votes. To vote for a design you needed to have a facebook account and accept the dark souls shield contest ap. Then you could vote once per design.
    I found out about the contest after it had begun, the pig head shield had over 3k votes before I even started my designs. I rushed my entries, because the voting had already started. I started a FB account just to join the contest, so I didn't have a pool of friends to call upon to draw in extra votes.
    Basically anyone who was able to promote their designs over social media well was able to accrue the most votes. Obviously a nice design was necessary as well, though seeing has how many excellent designs can be found with very few votes, and mediocre shields can be found with dozens or hundreds of times more votes, it seems that promotion was far more important than artistic skill or relevance to the world of Dark Souls.
    If I were picking the 2 winners of the top 30 designs in each category I'd pick:
    Kite Shields: Scudo Mortis and Zakharef
    Round Shields: Brethren and Old Soul
    Tower Shields: Azurite Guard and Wyvern Wall
    I voted mostly for underdogs, though a few of the folks I voted for did make it into the top 30 in their category. If I were voting amongst all the designs, I'd be picking different winners. I'm hoping we get some good shields out of the contest though.
    Hereticool
    Hereticool

Post by Hereticool Sun May 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Animaaal wrote:
    Some of the other shields kinda suck too. Like "Liberty"?!?!? I wuv my red white and blue man...but come on. Thoughts on the sheild design winners - Page 3 2707236321
    That shield more than any other is the prime example of why the way the contest was run sucks. That shield isn't even remotely related to Dark Souls in any way. To add insult to injury, that shield kept the Velka's Shield out of the top 30. A far superior design, and a shield that directly related to the Souls universe. Where are the Darkmoons when you need them? happy
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Mon May 27, 2013 3:01 am

*** the liberty shield.. honestly!

By the way, I have no idea why people are talking about shields they are going to use... there are no winners yet? The top 3 voted shields just get signed copies of the game, and wont necessarily be included in the game.
    Major_kenny
    Major_kenny
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Major_kenny Mon May 27, 2013 11:58 am

they all look good but they're all animals xD

And what about that large shield?
    A tribute to ENB is cool, I like him a lot but...
    I don't get why the creator of the shield said it was a tribute to him and posted a face of a pig on the shield Look Skyward

what's the deal with that? xD I honestly don't get it

and congratulations to the 3 guys who designed those awesome shields, I hope they're not OP :mask-averice:
    Silver Mont
    Silver Mont
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Silver Mont Mon May 27, 2013 12:12 pm

Major_kenny wrote:they all look good but they're all animals xD

And what about that large shield?
    A tribute to ENB is cool, I like him a lot but...
    I don't get why the creator of the shield said it was a tribute to him and posted a face of a pig on the shield Look Skyward

what's the deal with that? xD I honestly don't get it

Many houses use/d animals as the symbol of their house and family. Their knights would bear such sigils on their shields - heraldic beasts and all that. That could serve any number of reasons, such as identifying a lord from a peasant; one is worth a huge ransom, the other, not so much! As for my own shield, I went with the idea that a low-ranking knight turned undead and then adopted the phoenix as his sigil, hoping it would give him good fortune in his quest. A phoenix is reborn from the ashes, and undead are "reborn" from the ashes of the bonfire - at least, the Chosen Undead is, my lore is a little rusty.

And well... I may be sceptical, but I'm thinking the guy who made that Marcus shield only did it because ENB has 100,000+ subscribers, so he was riding someone else's popularity towards a free victory. If it was really a tribute shield, he'd send his prize to ENB. But he won't.
    R3dlace
    R3dlace
    Casual
    Casual

Post by R3dlace Mon May 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Silver Mont wrote:
    And well... I may be sceptical, but I'm thinking the guy who made that Marcus shield only did it because ENB has 100,000+ subscribers, so he was riding someone else's popularity towards a free victory. If it was really a tribute shield, he'd send his prize to ENB. But he won't.

Exactly my thoughts and why I didn't vote for it even if I loved ENB's addition to Dark Souls community.

Well said sir.
    Lorrac ESP
    Lorrac ESP
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Lorrac ESP Mon May 27, 2013 5:48 pm

My problem with the pig shield and others like that ire shield is that they look weird flat. Souls shields don't have modelling for the pictures on them... That's why the effigy shield looks horrible its just a flat texture.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Tue May 28, 2013 11:21 am

Top 30 Shields for each region are up.

Europe (FB link)

Japan/Asia (FB Link)

US (FB Link)

Sorry those that don't have facebook, I don't have the time atm to rip each image and rehost it.
    Marionx
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

Post by Marionx Tue May 28, 2013 12:49 pm

I think some people will be in for a pleasant surprise. I didn't think my shield would make it, but here it is, at No. 29! When I saw it there, I froze and just stared at it. I was like, "What?!"
    PSneep
    PSneep

Post by PSneep Tue May 28, 2013 12:51 pm

Congrats Marionx, which one is yours?

I've made it to the top 30 too, here's mine;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=485526108187105&set=a.485525914853791.1073741828.119869331419453&type=3&l=bdadb9d47f&theater
    Marionx
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Marionx Tue May 28, 2013 12:55 pm

Here's mine:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=485523998187316&set=a.485523381520711.1073741827.119869331419453&type=3&l=cf80231a3e&theater
    PSneep
    PSneep

Post by PSneep Tue May 28, 2013 12:59 pm

Awesome, you got a ton of fans judging by the likes and comments! Congrats : )
    Rollo-99

Post by Rollo-99 Tue May 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Wow I made it in the top 30 after all the cheaters got booted, achievement unlocked!
    Marionx
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Marionx Tue May 28, 2013 1:19 pm

PSneep wrote:Awesome, you got a ton of fans judging by the likes and comments! Congrats : )

Thanks! Considering that it only got like 121 votes, I didn't think it would get near the top 30. It only managed to get in after all the cheaters were dealt with.
    Silver Mont
    Silver Mont
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Silver Mont Tue May 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Ah, it's nice to see they removed a lot of the cheaters! Well, good luck everyone. It'll be interesting to see just who FROM picks, eh? I'm sure at least one from this thread will get picked.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:13 am