Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+34
Bassman Bob
Encore
Zeta Prime
bloodpixel
GkMrBane
tigab95
Aigaios
SwarmOnline
Hart
Soul of Stray Demon
shadowzninjaz
Hatsune Miku
Reaperfan
Slarg232
Ghadis_God
DanTastic
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Marino.
Elite Knight
hey its andres
MosquitoPower
TheMeInTeam
Forum Pirate
PaPaSmVrf
KingSeekerCow
Tolvo
GrinTwist
Serious_Much
TheColdestHeart
Ostrava34
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
ResIsBestStat
Latitoast
LunarFog
38 posters

Anime General Discussion

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Anime General Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: Anime General Discussion

Post by Serious_Much Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Then I discovered "Hey, if I read the manga I can get through it about 5 times as fast"

Here I am, having run out of manga I enjoy or want to read so I've resorted to pirating TV online instead silly

P.S. If anyone has a deep, thoughtful manga that deals with a lot of adult themes and issues they know about, please tell me about it silly
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Then I discovered "Hey, if I read the manga I can get through it about 5 times as fast"

Here I am, having run out of manga I enjoy or want to read so I've resorted to pirating TV online instead silly

P.S. If anyone has a deep, thoughtful manga that deals with a lot of adult themes and issues they know about, please tell me about it silly

I've never been good at following movement or action between frames in manga. I tend to better understand stories when presented as anime because I don't have to mentally keep track of the imagery, it's just presented to me (if that makes any sense).

And what do you mean by "adult themes?" Do you mean looks into darker parts if human nature? Or something more personal? Or something with commentary about societies or cultures?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Any or all of the above Reaper silly
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:17 pm

Don't think I can really help you on a manga front.  My best suggestion for some kind of exploration of deeper issues would be Kino's Journey, a show I just finished, since it takes each episode and looks at various societal issues by giving an otherwise normal community a single extreme twist.  Like, in a society that had advanced to the point where machines could handle all work, from routine maintenance to handling the entire city's economy autonomously, how would the people deal with the day to day boredom with no work to do, and how would they decide how to distribute it's wealth among citizens?  Or in a society where they emphasize preparing a child for adulthood by raising them with a strictly enforced code of "be prepared to do what you don't want to do because the world may ask it of you," how do they react when one child openly questions why they aren't allowed to follow their passions?  There's alot of thought and concept exploration there, but I think it's a Visual Novel adaptation and not based on a manga.

Last edited by Reaperfan on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    I understand these now:

Holy f---. I just finished it right now and I have to say that now I know exactly what that means.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Reaper to be honest single episodes of anime might be good for me atm as short break length things would be good,and that sounds like an interesting show. I'll check it out, thanks happy
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:26 pm

hey its andres wrote:Holy f---. I just finished it right now and I have to say that now I know exactly what that means.

Anime General Discussion - Page 6 Inorit10
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:38 pm

Lol. That meme has to be the most perfect summation of the Internet ever silly
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Serious_Much wrote:P.S. If anyone has a deep, thoughtful manga that deals with a lot of adult themes and issues they know about, please tell me about it silly

Check for a PM from me, it will contains a very good manga to read.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks, ill take a look at it happy
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Vinyl Scratch wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:P.S. If anyone has a deep, thoughtful manga that deals with a lot of adult themes and issues they know about, please tell me about it silly

Way to make a bro curious and then leave him hanging.  waiting

EDIT: Ahh. Okay. Gotcha.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:43 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    Vinyl Scratch wrote:

Way to make a bro curious and then leave him hanging.  waiting

EDIT:  Ahh.  Okay.  Gotcha.
    PM'd you.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:46 am

My preference is based on art style. I detest the claymore animations, for example, so I read it instead.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:18 am

Manga is definitely faster, for everyone I think.  I can speed read (the amount I tend to put in my posts is a combination of being able to both read and type quickly) so it's even more ridiculous.  At least when reading manga for leisure I take enough breaks from speed-reading text alone via pictures that I can avoid headaches.  I used to get headaches when would speed read for about a 15-20 minutes years ago.  With practice that got much longer but there are still limits.  To this day I tend to do work and leisure involving reading in bursts as a result.

It's hard for me to think of a case where I liked an anime adaptation better outright (barring situations where the manga was experimental and short, but then swtiched into a good anime, because obviously only the latter finished the story), though quite a few series are tied.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:48 am

I lied. If the anime isn't true to the maga I would rather read the manga, at least before seeing the anime. i forgot that part.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:01 am

Ok, I was wrong; Army of Japanese Spidermen (Or rather, Attack on Titan) isn't too terrible of a show.

I'm halfway through episode 5 (Can't watch due to people near me who don't like anime) and it's half decent. Erin's bout to kill some Titans.

Edit: Just watched all of Ep 5. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:41 am

Slarg232 wrote:Ok, I was wrong; Army of Japanese Spidermen (Or rather, Attack on Titan) isn't too terrible of a show.

I'm halfway through episode 5 (Can't watch due to people near me who don't like anime) and it's half decent. Erin's bout to kill some Titans.

Edit: Just watched all of Ep 5. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Nobody is free from death in this show. Nobody.

Spoiler:
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:20 am

I was thinking about watching "Attack on Titan" .

The Intro is awesomesauce and the few scenes i watched (fighting scenes against Titans) were pretty cool and fast but at the same Time a Character would just have an inner Monologue during all of the Action for 4 Minutes and it really takes me out of it, that could be because i don't know the Characters, though .

So i guess my question is if stuff like that happens more often and how long the Anime really is .
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 am

Marino. wrote:So i guess my question is if stuff like that happens more often and how long the Anime really is .

Yes, there's alot of dialogue. It's actually more of a character and worldbuilding-focused story than an action one. It pays off really well though, especially given the show's reputation for not giving it's characters plot armor. The action scenes may not be that long in general, but when they spend so much attention making you attached to each character with the knowledge that anyone can die at any time it makes those action scenes all the more exciting and suspenseful.

As for how long it is, I think I heard it's first season will be 25 or 26 episodes, and cover approximately half of the total story from the original light novels. This heavily implies a second season of equal length. So given the assumption it gets a second season, you're looking at about a 50-52 episode series in total.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Ok, so I totally want an AoT game now.

Spoilered for possible spoilers.
    Spoiler:
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Slarg232 wrote:Ok, so I totally want an AoT game now.

Spoilered for possible spoilers.
    Spoiler:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-06/attack-on-titan-gets-3ds-game-from-spike-chunsoft-in-2013

Is relevant winking

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'm glad I gave Another the 3 episode treatment.  It actually had me bored up until the very end of the third episode because I felt too aware of the directorial tricks being used.  When the lighting is dim and gloomy ALL THE TIME and the music is solemn and ominous low orchestral scores ALL THE TIME it stops being suspenseful and made me feel like the director was sitting there over me saying "OOOOooooooHHhhhHH...look how ooooooominous this iiiiiiis....WOOOOOOOHHHhhhhOOOOooo!!!!  Are you scaaaaared yet?"

Mind you that stuck with me to the end of the series and I never felt rustled by the music or lighting like I could have been, but the...uhh...visceral detail put into visuals on the major developments that you're made incredibly aware of at the end of episode 3 and the attention given to the characters' mental declines more than made up for it.

Last edited by Reaperfan on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Don't own a 3DS sad
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:27 pm

More anime updates and my thoughts/very small reviews with no scoring!

Two series this time.  First is Spice and Wolf and the second is Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, both by the same guy.

So hey, you ever watch a show about economics?  Cuz I hadn't.  Probably because nobody knew how to make it interesting.  So Spice and Wolf blew me away because it actually made scenes where people sitting around talking about the price market of wheat from a local town or debating the value of currency over material items suspenseful.  Not just interesting.  I said suspenseful.  I still don't really know how they did it.  Maybe the fact that it had some of the best characterization I've ever seen on display.  I can safely say that the female lead of the show is the single best female character ever portrayed in any media I've ever seen, including non-anime.  Watch this show.  I enjoyed it almost as much as Clannad (almost). Just do it.  It's skyrocketed to somewhere in my top 5 favorite anime.

For the second show, it was pretty good.  It wasn't as focused as Spice and Wolf, though it had the same approach.  Most of the conflict wasn't action, but rather through character interactions and cultural developments.  More than just economics, it covered things like agriculture, politics, and war.  That last one was probably the main idea of the series actually, and showing that there's more to war than just the battles, as it attempts to show all the different ways a conflict between two countries can be settled besides fighting.  It has one thing over Spice and Wolf though, and that's that it uses a much more fantasy-influenced setting, which made the bigger concepts easier to understand since they could use less realistic approaches to some issues, something that Spice and Wolf fails to do occasionally (depending on how much you pay attention of course) because of it's mostly realistic setting.  My recommendation for you all to be watch Spice and Wolf, then if you enjoyed it's storytelling approach, then watch this.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:32 pm

You know, I wish Mikasa and Eren had been swapped in AoT; I find that a badass with the 3DMS would have been a more interesting lead than Eren's

Spoiler:
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Slarg232 wrote:You know, I wish Mikasa and Eren had been swapped in AoT; I find that a badass with the 3DMS would have been a more interesting lead than Eren's

Spoiler:
    Maybe it would've made it more action oriented with a more badass and in-control development, but I like Eren's perspective since he has a bit more potential for character depth than Mikasa as her motivations are honestly (at this point at least) pretty easy to figure out.  I actually think in terms of character depth Armin has the most potential out of the three in terms of where his character could go.

Can't continue my thoughts without going into the spoilers there, so, yeah...

Spoiler:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:14 am