Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+58
TheLolrider
tinypantha
vatar5
ThatPerson
Peeffy
dianaduh
tobajas
bendtosquares
Orango19
Cyan-Hawk
PaPaSmVrf
Glogomog
Scirvir
About8547Souls
Shabbalaba
Loken
BishopHavel
Dark Souls PRO
Darkson
MutilatedRelic
MediocritasAurea
Emergence
raecor14
Wilkinson3424
Chaos Spectre
eminusx
Madara
McTwisterson
Ghadis_God
Leeroy_Jenkins
FattyOfDoom
Federally
Carphil
Serious_Much
PlasticandRage
trinity-echo
Eolan
Buggy Virus
Spurgun
Siegleyn
befowler
User
Maneater_Mildred
Wade_Wilson
Saturnine Knight
Shkar
barrywilkins
TehInfamousAmos
Quarik
ViralEnsign_
cloudyeki
Imarreteet23
WyrmHero
skarekrow13
Tolvo
Yukon
JY4answer
DoughGuy
62 posters

There's more to them

Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

There's more to them - Page 25 Empty Re: There's more to them

Post by Federally Sat May 19, 2012 7:57 am

skarekrow13 wrote:Ok....rant engage:

Let's start with her soul.....
    "Soul of Priscilla the Crossbreed, trapped inside the painted world of Ariamis.
    Special beings have special souls. Use the soul of this crossbreed
    bastard child and antithesis to all life to acquire a huge amount of
    souls, or to create a unique weapon."

The first think that jumps out is the word "trapped." I don't buy "imprisoned" since I am sticking to my "drawn in" theory but perhaps the loss of the doll indicates that she can no longer travel back and forth. Next words of note are "crossbreed" and "bastard" child. This suggests that she is not an experiment in the strict sense (test tubes, Frankenstein rig etc.) but could be an experiment of what happens when two species mingle. The use of crossbreed reinforces the idea of her parents being different species. The word "bastard" implies that she has two parents but they weren't married. The alternative term is "illegitimate" and most often refers to a child that occurred as the result of an affair. I hadn't noticed the term "antithesis of all life" prior to today but it fits nicely with the rest of the discussion. This could mean a couple of things. The obvious is an existence dedicated to ending life. Another interpretation could be that she is contrasted to "intended life" and in this case it reinforces her "abomination" label.

However, I'll come back to it after discussing her weapons for what I think is a third meaning.
    Priscilla's dagger:
    "This sword, one of the rare dragon weapons, came from the tail of
    Priscilla, the Dragon Crossbreed in the painted world of Ariamis."

"Possessing the power of lifehunt, it dances about when wielded, in a
    fashion reminiscent of the white-robed painting guardians."

And her Scythe:
    Scythe born from the soul of Priscilla, the stark white crossbreed trapped inside the painted world of Ariamis.
    Even the Gods feared Priscilla's lifehunt ability, and in the hands of a mortal, its power will turn upon its wielder.

Both weapons have similar features and point to the possible real nature of the word "antithesis." Lifehunt I believe is often mistaken for the "bleed" effect on the victim. This seems to be confirmed by Priscilla's Scythe and it's ability to turn on a mortal as it inflicts bleed on us as well. The dagger contains the power of lifehunt as well, and the only similarity in effect between the two is bleed damage. I believe that this is merely the mechanism to show in game what the weapon should actually do to you. A paradox exists with this weapon and the dagger. The scythe states that the God's fear the power of Lifehunt, yet the dagger is armed with occult energy, what the gods supposedly are weak against. Yet the dagger does not mention gods fearing the power of lifehunt. What could this mean? The bleed and occult damage are fine and dandy but lifehunt is a different power. One to be truly feared. Yes, the bleed damage can destroy an opponent (Asylum, Firesage, etc.) and the occult can be nice as well. However, the bleed effect is not easily triggered on the Gods, and the dagger's increase in occult damage isn't sufficient to outperform "regular" weapons. So what do the gods really fear......

Losing their soul. Not death. Their soul......completely obliterated. No rebirth....no passing go to collect $200.....game over man. This is the true lifehunt ability and the "antithesis of all life." Not the "ending" of life but the disintegration of it's core. The scythe provides the best glimpse of this. It states that the power will turn on a mortal. The bleed kills us and obviously game mechanics don't allow for permanent Chosen Undead death or even respawning mob perma death. The scythe only provides a glimpse into this theory though. The real sinister evidence is in the dagger. Note in the description of the attack form that the dagger dances. Not "the user attacks in a dancing manner." The dagger controls the attacks, not the wielder. A dagger that is living and possibly sentient and potentially malevolent. This is lifehunt. The weapon takes control. In your hands it controls the attacks and hunts for the life (souls) of others. It stands to reason the scythe is the more powerful weapon, with a higher lifehunt. The control this weapon exerts on you is obviously not benign. As it seeks to end the lives of others, it seeks yours as well. It makes sense then that both weapons require high dexterity to unlock their full potential. It would take a feat of agility to keep up with a weapon that dances of its own accord.

Federally......You could be onto something that they're merely responding to a threat in this world. I only have two pieces of evidence against that and they're far from flawless. The first of the two pieces is Priscilla herself. She doesn't attack on sight. If she's confident enough to talk to you first rather than a sneak attack from the fog gate it stands to reason she could have the rest stand down. Also, she might be able to communicate telepathically. I don't believe her lips move while talking, and I have confirmed that several important NPC's do a talking animation (Quelana is enchanting to watch speak). So she could ask you to be peaceful as soon as you step in. It could also be that when you reach her negotiations are a last resort. The second evidence piece is the bloated hollow who is hiding and doesn't attack you. His location is pretty far off the main path so he should have a reaction when you find him if he was hiding from you. Also, he has a window and appears to be sorrowful. Is he looking out and weeping at what happened to the world? Finally with this guy, he drops a pyro spell which I theorized before could mean that pyro is not native to the world/bloated hollows as it demonstrates a clear passing of the torch (ha ha get it?) of this skill. Pyromancy does seem contradictory with the rest of the world. It could still be though that he thought he had a hell of a hiding spot and is too terrified to attack you.

Priscilla is not telepathic, her mouth may not move but that's game design because I've been playing all night and no npcs mouth moves besides Frampt. So we're either all telepaths or none, I go with none.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat May 19, 2012 9:24 am

Crossbreed Priscilla, the Painted Queen
    Spoiler:

So there we are. It was a big one. Part of it was my own personal theories (the occultists link) but even that is based on evidence. Hope you enjoy.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat May 19, 2012 9:26 am

The edit log is actually longer than some entries lol.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 am

DoughGuy wrote:lol I was writing it as you were, I generally just click send when I get that "New post" message. Plus I was trying to be super helpful! happy

and farm rep? silly

by the way, what is this with the on topic madness?! STOP IT, STOP IT AT ONCE lol!
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat May 19, 2012 9:40 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat May 19, 2012 10:16 am

Fed, game mechanic makes sense but there are more that "talk." Quelana does and I went around looking at one point and saw more. Wool have to do that again. Wingtip does too but it doesn't count since he always gnashes his teeth. That was just one guess I had and there's really no other reason to think that
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sat May 19, 2012 7:25 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Fed, game mechanic makes sense but there are more that "talk." Quelana does and I went around looking at one point and saw more. Wool have to do that again. Wingtip does too but it doesn't count since he always gnashes his teeth. That was just one guess I had and there's really no other reason to think that

Well what's his name the Priest guy in Firelink doesn't move his mouth and the first pyro trainer doesn't either (i'm forgetful with names FYI). How can you tell if Quelana's mouth moves, isn't she wearing the gold hemmed set with a big hood?

I think From never bothered to animate mouths, many Npcs are wearing full helmets anyways, and since you don't get an up close portrait view of them they just didn't do it. Probably should have but I'll forgive them.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sat May 19, 2012 7:38 pm

I like your Priscilla post Dough Buddy! I feel so special bring a part of it cheers So who's next?!
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Sat May 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Federally wrote:
    skarekrow13 wrote:Fed, game mechanic makes sense but there are more that "talk." Quelana does and I went around looking at one point and saw more. Wool have to do that again. Wingtip does too but it doesn't count since he always gnashes his teeth. That was just one guess I had and there's really no other reason to think that

Well what's his name the Priest guy in Firelink doesn't move his mouth and the first pyro trainer doesn't either (i'm forgetful with names FYI). How can you tell if Quelana's mouth moves, isn't she wearing the gold hemmed set with a big hood?

I think From never bothered to animate mouths, many Npcs are wearing full helmets anyways, and since you don't get an up close portrait view of them they just didn't do it. Probably should have but I'll forgive them.

I know for a fact that Andre and Alvina have animations for speech.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sun May 20, 2012 12:51 am

Logan is up next.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sun May 20, 2012 12:24 pm

I mentioned this before as an offhanded thought in the Lifehunters thread, but I noticed something that seemed a bit confusing about Priscilla. When you first talk to her, she says, "If you were looking for me, your desires are unrequited."

Why on earth did she use that phrasing? Does she immediately think that you are there to express undying love or something? It honestly makes her come across (at least in my opinion) as a lonely being. One with family abandonment issues, perhaps, which is understandable given her back story.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun May 20, 2012 12:44 pm

I think that's a good take. I believe that's part of the reason it's thought Jeremiah sat and waited for her to change her mind. Since he's a corpse and still sitting we can assume she really means it. I wonder if waiting near her might trigger something like it does with ceaseless
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sun May 20, 2012 12:48 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:I think that's a good take. I believe that's part of the reason it's thought Jeremiah sat and waited for her to change her mind. Since he's a corpse and still sitting we can assume she really means it. I wonder if waiting near her might trigger something like it does with ceaseless

I find it unlikely, but I find anything newly discovered unlikely in a game this old, although it IS possible not everything has been found.

I find it likely that something like this WOULD have been put in though. The fact that she doesn't kill you when you first enters, AND talks about "unrequited desires" practically screams "she's playing hard to get!" at me.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sun May 20, 2012 12:52 pm

Quarik wrote:
    Federally wrote:

I know for a fact that Andre and Alvina have animations for speech.

Yes Andre does. Dusk doesn't either tho. So how do we reconcile this?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun May 20, 2012 2:25 pm

That's a good question fed. Probably need to make a comprehensive list of who dies and doesn't and see if a pattern emerges.

Shkar, ublug just recently discovered the ceaseless secret and I think that was prompted by a director comment. My guess with ceaseless is that it takes an hour or better doing nothing in his arena
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sun May 20, 2012 3:17 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:That's a good question fed. Probably need to make a comprehensive list of who dies and doesn't and see if a pattern emerges.

Shkar, ublug just recently discovered the ceaseless secret and I think that was prompted by a director comment. My guess with ceaseless is that it takes an hour or better doing nothing in his arena

Well when you first free Dusk her voice echoes and sounds distant, which makes me think telepathy, but then if you summon her she sounds normal so who knows.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun May 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Federally wrote:
    skarekrow13 wrote:That's a good question fed. Probably need to make a comprehensive list of who dies and doesn't and see if a pattern emerges.

Well when you first free Dusk her voice echoes and sounds distant, which makes me think telepathy, but then if you summon her she sounds normal so who knows.

When you first rescue Dusk you're inside a cave with water in it. I think it's the echo. It's a cave with a high ceiling too. Voices would echo in there.

What is the Ceaseless secret you're talking about? I've been searching the forum a little looking for it and I can't seem to find what you're referring to.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sun May 20, 2012 3:43 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:

Right, but the only thing that does is let's you skip Ceaseless. Something like that would be easy to overlook by the people who crack the code and look for stuff (face it, people have done it). I honestly can not think of anything that would occur with Priscilla by trying that. She's already skippable, and a cutscene or special item or something would have been spotted by the code peekers.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun May 20, 2012 6:30 pm

That's probably good thinking.

Plastic, if you enter his arena and stay there without touching the gold hemmed set eventually he decides you're not a threat. There's nothing that tells you this triggered except when it works you can quit and reload and you wool spawn inside the fog gate. After this you can grab the gold hemmed set and even attack him and he won't aggro. Then you walk to the fog and a few steps from the door he comes at you. He does a jumping "attack" that will miss you if you haven't moved. Then he whimpers at you and blocks you from doing anything but killing him. The pre patch method of running back to the gate for a cheap kill was a nod to this secret. My interpretation is he begs for death after funding what he thinks is an ally.

Edit: Forgot to mention ublug discovered this. I tested it to confirm. We didn't nail down the variables but my best guess is that you just need to wait in there over an hour. Hard to tell though because neither of us did the whole time in one shot.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Tue May 22, 2012 1:44 am

I don't know how it's been missed for so long (probably due to a certain "distraction"), but Gwynever has a sunlight medal on her forehead!

She also has her eyes shut at all times, but SUNLIGHT MEDAL!!!
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue May 22, 2012 1:49 am

Aren't they supposed to be like spiritual tokens for the followers of Gwyn?
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Tue May 22, 2012 1:52 am

PlasticandRage wrote:Aren't they supposed to be like spiritual tokens for the followers of Gwyn?

It only mentions the firstborn:

"This faintly warm medal, engraved with the symbol of the Sun, is
    the ultimate honour, awarded to shoe who summon the
    Warrior of Sunlight and complete a goal.

The symbol represents Lord Gwyn's firstborn, who lost his deity
    status and was expunged from the annals. But the old God of War still
    watches closely over his warriors."

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue May 22, 2012 1:57 am

It's not so far fetched the Gwynevere might wear one. He would be her brother.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue May 22, 2012 1:58 am

Hmmm, she is the goddess of sunlight though. It could be based off her. More research is needed.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Tue May 22, 2012 2:00 am

PlasticandRage wrote:It's not so far fetched the Gwynevere might wear one. He would be her brother.

Gwynever wears the Sunlight Medal, which had "bugged" text matching the pendant, which is believed to have belonged to Gwyndolin.

Yes, they are siblings, but I get the feeling there's something more to it then that. The fact that the icon is similar to the Dark moon Crown is anther detail...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:30 pm