Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Area Origins in Dark Souls

Madara
    Madara
    Regular
    Regular

Area Origins in Dark Souls Empty Area Origins in Dark Souls

Post by Madara Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 am

The one thing I've always loved about Dark Souls is that there is so much depth that its hard to cover everything. We've all bearly scratched the surface of it in all honesty silly
    Now onto the areas of dark souls. All of the Area's in Dark Souls have origins of some sort, as we all know there are speculations such as to where Oolacile is and such now to discover what exactly everyplace else was silly

"Northern Undead Asylum":

"Firelink shrine":

"Undead Parish/Burg:

"Depth":

"Darkroot Basin/forest":

"Sens Fortress":

"Anor Londo":

"Blighttown":

"The Great Hollow":

"Ash Lake":

I've currently my third playthrough, a sorcerer playthrough from which i am drawing observations as i get through an area i'm going to update this Post.

Last edited by Madara on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:12 am; edited 2 times in total
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Area Origins in Dark Souls Empty Re: Area Origins in Dark Souls

Post by DoughGuy Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 am

Madara wrote:Now to Undead Parish and Undead Burg. I'm lumping these in together because i feel that they are one and the same Kingdom. I believe that this place is the what remains of the Kingdom of Balder. It says that Balder came to ruin after a great many undead were spawned. Spawned also means that chances are that the undead consisted of former Balder citizens. I think that all the hollows you see are Balder residents(i.e. the reason that they are in the Undead Burg) and the Balder knight are the remnants of Rendels elites. The area just before the depths was probably the slums of Balder harbouring thieves and the poor. Most of this is just speculation on the geography and the armour description but you get where i'm coming from.
    because i can't exactly what it is.

Glad to see someone agrees with me!
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 am

Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Just something I just thought up, but I find it very unlikely that each of the "districts" is it's own kingdom.

For one, tehy are too close together and we already know that there is little room for farmland on this mountain. There would most likely be constant fighting over what little there is.

Secondly, I believe it says that Knight King Rendel and/or Ricard were from one of the kingdoms until they went hollow and came to Lordran.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:12 pm

I probably won't add a ton to this thread since I'm with Shkar in that I believe most referenced Kingdoms are either outside of lordran or destroyed. However I did want to comment on an asylum observation. Resemblances to prison for early asylums was typical. More so though between early asylums and penitentiaries. A part of recovery (asylum) or penance (penitentiary) was often religion and elaborate chapels weren't unheard of. It's also we worth noting that early poor houses and similar structures would often house the poor, sick, elderly, unwed mothers (with children), the insane, the disabled and often criminals mixed in. Basically my point is that the asylum is quite consistent with these attitudes and ideals. Even architecturally speaking. Big doors leading to the entrance (or exit for us) with smaller structures leading up to it. A chapel for worship, many rooms or cells, a courtyard for exercise and fresh air, and the stray demon actually appears to be in either the indoor activity yard or a communal room to throw in a mass of "low risk" persons with individual cells reserved for trouble makers. Our cell is reminiscent of us being considered "high risk." Perhaps more so than the other cells. End of the hall meant harder to conspire with others (no neighbor on the other side of the wall and too far to hand items). The sliding roof to allow sun (or food) could mean our door wasn't meant to be opened a lot if you catch my meaning. Finally, it's at a lower level than a lot of the space. Good place to hide someone.
    Madara
    Madara
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Madara Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 pm

UPDATED
    Now includes, Sens Fortress, Blighttown, The Great Hollow and Ash Lake
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:01 pm

It seems Firelink is actually the top of the tallest tower in New Londo before it was flooded and buried.
    Madara
    Madara
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Madara Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Buggy Virus wrote:It seems Firelink is actually the top of the tallest tower in New Londo before it was flooded and buried.
    I don't think thats geographically possible considering that the chamber containing the lordvessel and the door to the kiln lay directly below.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:17 pm

I think the fire is right above the elevator which could mean that both were part of the same structure. I think it's more likely that the elevator was the means to get between New Londo and firelink but that's nitpicking since they could be part of one tower
    Madara
    Madara
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Madara Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:57 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:I think the fire is right above the elevator which could mean that both were part of the same structure. I think it's more likely that the elevator was the means to get between New Londo and firelink but that's nitpicking since they could be part of one tower
    Thats an interesting premise, considering that New Londo was theorized to be a new extension to Anor Londo, maybe it was created close to the Kiln to Allow Gwyn and the other Lords to keep the flame alive?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:19 pm

You should use spoilers to make it easier to read.
    Madara
    Madara
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Madara Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:05 am

DoughGuy wrote:You should use spoilers to make it easier to read.
    Sound advice dude.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:26 pm