Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+30
RevolverSnake
Hugh_G_Johnson
Animaaal
ninjashifty
Micha369
Elifia
Latitoast
barrywilkins
Shakie666
Maneater_Mildred
Dibsville
reim0027
Tolvo
Serious_Much
befowler
skarekrow13
TheMeInTeam
inksoldier
Derpwraith
Glutebrah
ChillerHR
Nybbles
twigsterxd
billy_bayonet
Werdax
VaDoom
AnCapaillMor
Hue
Jansports
raecor14
34 posters

the Mega Mule

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

the Mega Mule - Page 2 Empty Re: the Mega Mule

Post by Serious_Much Mon May 13, 2013 3:42 pm

I think I'll just use an analogy here to get my point across about this- well about any kind of thing that's ever existed on dark souls that allows people to cut corners and open up avenues of abuse is applied here really (that are used pretty heavily recently, wonder why :roll: ):

Some would say stealing in certain circumstances is in many ways necessary for people to survive- stealing from the rich to survive on something a shop owner won't miss, surely that isn't wrong right?

However, stealing is inherently and totally wrong, as most of the time it is not an act of necessity, but an act of greed and laziness. to not gain off others selfishly- when there is no actual need.

There would be no issue with stealing if people only did when utterly necessary- the good reason, however because it is used at all for the wrong reasons, the act itself (no matter for what purpose) becomes wrong.

Last edited by Serious_Much on Mon May 13, 2013 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    inksoldier
    inksoldier
    Regular
    Regular

Post by inksoldier Mon May 13, 2013 3:44 pm

I agree with Chiller, I don't have the time to fully invest in a build and experiment with it only to find that it needs 2 more points in endurance for it to be viable. With the MM, I can make more unique builds and try different combinations of builds. That's where I get the most fun out of my dsk pvp experience

Edit: I think the biggest mistake with the MM is how widely it was circulated. I think the maker intended the MM to be used for hardcore pvp players who constantly experiment with builds. That's my opinion. I think its circulation should have been limited somehow
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon May 13, 2013 3:54 pm

inksoldier wrote:I agree with Chiller, I don't have the time to fully invest in a build and experiment with it only to find that it needs 2 more points in endurance for it to be viable. With the MM, I can make more unique builds and try different combinations of builds. That's where I get the most fun out of my dsk pvp experience

Edit: I think the biggest mistake with the MM is how widely it was circulated. I think the maker intended the MM to be used for hardcore pvp players who constantly experiment with builds. That's my opinion. I think its circulation should have been limited somehow

I'm sorry to say but your post is a bit ridiculous.

There's a simple solution to you not making a build a second time- just roll with the imperfect one. If you're an avid souls player, you should be able to easily pull it off. Oh, and the fact that 2 stat points will make jack all difference.

The second comment is a bit... naive too. Limiting something within a game (even if it's not meant to be there) based on the fact they don't spend as much time playing as you is a tad elitist. Besides I know for a fact many avid PvP players probably have used BB glitch or will use megamule at some point to create a griefer. It's just inevitable. Making a division based on hours sunk in or people who are deemed 'hardcore' enough is simply unrealistic, and pointless
    inksoldier
    inksoldier
    Regular
    Regular

Post by inksoldier Mon May 13, 2013 4:10 pm

I respect your opinion but here's my response. The reason why I use the MM to make multiple builds is to experiment with trying something new. Meaning I don't know how it will turn out, whether it will be viable or not. I experiment with builds and try to figure out its strengths and weaknesses and what can be improved. Because it's an experiment, It's basically a gamble. Before making a build, I use mugenmonkey to plan how the build will be but the end result in terms of effectiveness might not be where I want it to be. I have made many imperfect builds before from the countless hours I've put into this game before BB glitch and MM came into existence so I still roll with those builds. I just like the MM because it gives me an opportunity to try something new.

As far as the two stats points, that was an exaggeration to show that some builds might be missing something essential.

My second comment might be naive but I guess I never thought about avid players making a griefer. Just something that didn't cross my mind
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon May 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Serious, I agree it's laziness that motivates its use. Calling it "stealing" I could (but won't because there's room for both our opinions here) argue that logic. Basically, I'm saying there's validity in that point but just as much on the other side of the fence. Anyone looking for further information feel free to look up the court cases involving the Game Genie back in the day. Regarding laziness again however, there's another label for it with a different emotional impact: "efficiency."

Essentially, our entire history is predicated on doing things in a way that former "generations" could call "lazy." While it's absolutely true, it's not inherently an argument against something.

I do want to stress yet again that I'm perfectly fine with that viewpoint and understand completely why many are against the MM. This is a case where we both can literally be right.

Befowler, it seems your personal experiences might be running counter to mine. I'm open to being wrong here since I'm not the most avid player at the moment and the flickering is all but ruined it for me. Towel Day might be the last online hurrah for me unless it's fixed. It's not that I wouldn't love the game flickering but I have a backlog of games a mile long that take priority....

Anyway, back on topic...I think it could go either way but would need to see some objective numbers to judge concretely. The MM and glitching are part of the same mold but the chicken and the egg is tough. On one hand, you have the MM which is one guy who hacked and made a watered down version available to the masses. The level of evil it brings compared to good is obviously the controversy we're discussing. On the other is a bunch of other guys who have hacked to a larger degree and are (in my mind) absolutely evil intent.

So which one sparked which? Obviously, hacking inspired the MM since that's what he did but did the MM cause widespread hacking? It's definitely possible. The amount of curiosity into "how did he do that?" could certainly cause a similar spike in initiative into hacking the PS3. On the other hand, it's by no means a layman's tasks and I'm not convinced that the MM (which is SUPER DUPER INSANELY EASY) would significantly increase the pool of players willing to do what's necessary to hack all the way.

I won't go into details but I'll put it this way, I have a hacked PSP. That was a pain but I managed to look up all the necessary steps (trust me, the MM is a joke compared to a hacked PSP). I started the research into the PS3 just to see the chances of the MM being interpreted into full blown hacking by the masses. I gave up my research. Not that I couldn't have completed it. But preliminary musings and concepts convinced me that most people aren't willing to go that far. Not when they can essentially unlimited have Dark Beads casting so easily already.

Again, if other people weigh in and we can get better info, I'd be willing to say MM increased the number of hackers but from what I've seen and researched it's likely the hackers were already on the rise and the MM was a result of that.

With all that disagreeing out of the way I wanna finish with how I could be 100% wrong in almost everything I just said. There is a chance....and I'll admit it's a good one.....that the MM was turned into something FAR more sinister and will absolutely lead to a dramatic increase in hackers. I'm not talking about "could lead to" I'm saying "without a shadow of a doubt will lead to."

Why is that? Well I know how it can go from point A to point B.....someone else likely has too. And no....I won't say what the heck I'm talking about.

And yes, that's "Skarekrow green." To find your color feel free to check out the link in my signature

Last edited by skarekrow13 on Mon May 13, 2013 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon May 13, 2013 4:16 pm

Yeah Ink I actually agree with using MM and BB glitch for stuff like build experimentation and making fun new things- it's something we frankly don't see enough of.

I think it's just unfortunate that something with such a potential for good use gets abused and forever tainted by people. Like I tried to demonstrate with my analogy, if it was only used for positive purpose I would be all over it, it's just because it's misused I can't possibly agree with it's use.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon May 13, 2013 4:17 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Serious, I agree it's laziness that motivates its use. Calling it "stealing" I could (but won't because there's room for both our opinions here) argue that logic. Basically, I'm saying there's validity in that point but just as much on the other side of the fence. Anyone looking for further information feel free to look up the court cases involving the Game Genie back in the day. Regarding laziness again however, there's another label for it with a different emotional impact: "efficiency."

Essentially, our entire history is predicated on doing things in a way that former "generations" could call "lazy." While it's absolutely true, it's not inherently an argument against something.

I do want to stress yet again that I'm perfectly fine with that viewpoint and understand completely why many are against the MM. This is a case where we both can literally be right.

Befowler, it seems your personal experiences might be running counter to mine. I'm open to being wrong here since I'm not the most avid player at the moment and the flickering is all but ruined it for me. Towel Day might be the last online hurrah for me unless it's fixed. It's not that I wouldn't love the game flickering but I have a backlog of games a mile long that take priority....

Anyway, back on topic...I think it could go either way but would need to see some objective numbers to judge concretely. The MM and glitching are part of the same mold but the chicken and the egg is tough. On one hand, you have the MM which is one guy who hacked and made a watered down version available to the masses. The level of evil it brings compared to good is obviously the controversy we're discussing. On the other is a bunch of other guys who have hacked to a larger degree and are (in my mind) absolutely evil intent.

So which one sparked which? Obviously, hacking inspired the MM since that's what he did but did the MM cause widespread hacking? It's certainly possible. The amount of curiosity into "how did he do that?" could certainly cause a similar spike in initiative into hacking the PS3. On the other hand, it's by no means a layman's tasks and I'm not convinced that the MM (which is SUPER DUPER INSANELY EASY) would significantly increase the pool of players willing to do what's necessary to hack all the way. I won't go into details but I'll put it this way, I have a hacked PSP. That was a pain but I managed to look up all the necessary steps (trust me, the MM is a joke compared to a hacked PSP). I started the research into the PS3 just to see the chances of the MM being interpreted into full blown hacking by the masses. I gave up my research. Not that I couldn't have completed it. But preliminary musings and concepts convinced me that most people aren't willing to go that far. Not when they can essentially unlimited Dark Beads casting so easily.

Again, if other people weigh in and we can get better info, I'd be willing to say MM increased the number of hackers but from what I've seen and researched it's likely the hackers were already on the rise and the MM was a result of that.

With all that disagreeing out of the way I wanna finish with how I could be 100% wrong in everything I just said. There is a chance....and I'll admit it's a good one.....that the MM was turned into something FAR more sinister and will absolutely lead to a dramatic increase in hackers. I'm not talking about "could lead to" I'm saying "without a shadow of a doubt will lead to."

Why is that? Well I know how it can go from point A to point B.....someone else likely has too. And no....I won't say what the heck I'm talking about.

Quoted- such a good post shouldn't be bottom paged
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon May 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Lol, thanks Serious.

This is really a tricky topic and I wanna point out how well the conversation has been going to this point. I don't think we're going to find a consensus but the discussion is helpful I think
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon May 13, 2013 4:21 pm

I looked up what this is.

The issue here isn't that there exists a way to allow people to instantly make any possible PvP build. The issues are that it gets pitted vs people who don't have access to it and that it seems to open potential for impossible outcomes otherwise; IE actual cheating.

Although it pains me, I'll use pokemon as an example. Competitive battles involve 6 lvl 100 pokes. It would take hours and hours and hours to breed and train that perfect team. It's also a largely mindless task, especiall if you've already done it before. Want to tweak it while swapping in yet another poke? More hours. That is a HUGE barrier to competitive play, and so people bypassed it with pokemon online and poke sav (allowing to edit maxed pokes with right EVs). These things, however, are not pitted against random level 50 teams. They go up against other people who can min/max their own teams at a whim.

Something like this mule offers a potential value in the exact same way. Ideally, Dark Souls should have an arena that allows an in-game version; take any character level bracket + any arrangement of physically possible builds and duel them only against other players who can do the same thing. Heck, use the actual current arena for that purpose.

The problem is the hacked impossible stats (things like infinite health/stamina) and its impact on actually playing the game without cheating.
    inksoldier
    inksoldier
    Regular
    Regular

Post by inksoldier Mon May 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Yeah Serious, I totally understand where you're coming from. As much as good it would do, the equal negative use and abuse of the MM is really discouraging. I really thought I would start seeing more unique builds
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon May 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Yeah Ink I actually agree with using MM and BB glitch for stuff like build experimentation and making fun new things- it's something we frankly don't see enough of.

I think it's just unfortunate that something with such a potential for good use gets abused and forever tainted by people. Like I tried to demonstrate with my analogy, if it was only used for positive purpose I would be all over it, it's just because it's misused I can't possibly agree with it's use.

just because something is used for the wrong reasons doesn't make it bad, you can look at anything in this world and people abuse/use it for the wrong reasons, people abuse welfare, gum rights, freedom of speech, freedom of the internet, etc... do you want all these things removed because some people use them for wrong?

this is a video game people take it to serously, the mega mule actually refreshed my interest in this game, i am in love with my new SL100 pyro, and SL150 Black knight, and SL200 ornstein build.

i still have 2 character slots to decide how to use them, i am considering a Strength/magic build to use the Manus Catalyst with, trying to decide what level, and i will probably make a 40/40 120 build as that is a "main Soul Level" i am missing.

Last edited by Glutebrah on Mon May 13, 2013 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ChillerHR
    ChillerHR
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ChillerHR Mon May 13, 2013 5:20 pm

...is it possible for From to put an end to this...or it's unleashed and gone now?
    How come this hackers havent done it earlier? Why they waited so long, or was it such a long road?

...agree with Glute and Ink, loving it so far but if it's evil, let it be gone...

Last edited by ChillerHR on Mon May 13, 2013 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon May 13, 2013 5:22 pm

ChillerHR wrote:...is it possible for From to put an end to this...or it's unleashed and gone now?
    How come this hackers havent done it earlier? Why they waited so long, or was it such a long road?

with the Dragon head glitch, and the Bottomless Box Glitch/ item duping, there never really was a need for it before
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon May 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Glutebrah wrote:

just because something is used for the wrong reasons doesn't make it bad, you can look at anything in this world and people abuse/use it for the wrong reasons, people abuse welfare, gum rights, freedom of speech, freedom of the internet, etc... do you want all these things removed because some people use them for wrong?

Technically you can't really misuse freedom of speech, as it only applies to political dissent, and thats politics for you.

Dunno what gum rights are (though if you mean gun rights, they should be taken away), but welfare abuse and freedom of the internet shouldn't be taken away, just changed until correct. Just like if the MM was changed so it could only be used for legit pvp, rather than griefing/cheating etc. However as it can't be changed, the next best option is removal.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon May 13, 2013 5:41 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Glutebrah wrote:

Technically you can't really misuse freedom of speech, as it only applies to political dissent, and thats politics for you.

Dunno what gum rights are (though if you mean gun rights, they should be taken away), but welfare abuse and freedom of the internet shouldn't be taken away, just changed until correct. Just like if the MM was changed so it could only be used for legit pvp, rather than griefing/cheating etc. However as it can't be changed, the next best option is removal.

why should gun rights be taken away? why should law abiding citizens not be allowed to own guns? before this turns into a gun rights thread let me just say this , if they make guns illegal so no one can own them they should make cocaine and heroine illegal also to get that off the streets.. oh wait.

also the Westboro baptist church does a pretty god job at misusing freedom of speech.

there has been griefing in dark souls from day 1, it will always be there, mega mule or not
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon May 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Guys I'm going to say this as nicely as I can.

KEEP REAL WORLD POLITICS OUT OF THIS *** THREAD.

I hope I got the point across.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon May 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Tolvo took the words out of my mouth (figuratively of course).

And, to call people "lazy" who use the MM is too much of a generalization. Maybe people don't want to spend 1 week to make a build and have it not turn out. That'll burn you out. I know for a fact the MM has revitalized many people's interest in the game.

It does have it's cost, however. It makes ganking easier.

I can understand those dedicated to PvE not liking it. Since their enjoyment is in the creating of the build, not as much as the use of the build once created. But, many PvPers hate making builds and only want to use the completed versions. For them, the journey starts at the completion of the build (PvP time).
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon May 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Glutebrah wrote:
    there has been griefing in dark souls from day 1, it will always be there, mega mule or not

I'll leave politics aside, thats mainly a cultural difference really. (I'm from UK)

Problem is, it makes griefing more achievable.. not only that but too easy. I met a guy who spammed 9 Wogs when I was SL20, I don't think someone who made a griefer legit would be able to do that.

Also there's been a reported increase in hackers/modders/etc in PS3 since the MM came into the public eye- I don't think that's really a coincidence.

Reim- while i get that people don't like builds not turning out, it's hardly the game's fault.. Using mugen monkey and your vast experience, even with an experimental build (even if it ends up with a slight bad allocation of stats), you should be able to make it a viable build with ease. Maybe you think it's not perfect, but you could just play with it instead of claim you 'have' to remake it just to improve it. (yes I know you and many players like perfection, but if it's so much trouble to remake the build, simple answer is don't)

Also, I don't think the point that PvP players disliking pve means they should have a god given right to skip out PvE just because it doesn't suit them. Thats exactly the same as guys who complain about getting invaded while they have summons helping them with a level
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon May 13, 2013 10:19 pm

We're going to have to agree to disagree. You and I have had this discussion before. Neither of us are going to budge. :evil: happy
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon May 13, 2013 10:21 pm

The urge to use it is overwhelming... Evil Fex
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon May 13, 2013 10:34 pm

reim0027 wrote:We're going to have to agree to disagree. You and I have had this discussion before. Neither of us are going to budge. :evil: happy

hahah yeah it's literally BB glitch 2.0 silly

....Except this time there's modders too (ZING)- Serious 1:0 Reim lol!

and dibs- thats fex' special emote, you should be careful swinging that thing around!
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Mon May 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Still haven't meet a hacker on PS3.

Don't care how my opponent made their toon, 20 hours or 20 seconds.... Thought more people making it in 20 seconds means more people to PvP vs instead of them questing to build a toon.

All I care about is the fight, so MM away. I won't judge you.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon May 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Well we've judged you. And the judgment is....

Spoiler:
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Tue May 14, 2013 8:03 am

I've downloaded MM, though I don't know how much pvp i'll actually do. So far i've just used it to make a character with maxed out stats, since that's something that would take far too long otherwise (surely we can all agree on this at the very least?)

I don't think this has anything to with hackers at all. If they're hacking in fast-rolling havel's at sl55, +15 crystal greatswords etc, then they can also hack in maxed stats. Correlation does not imply causation.

Finally, its not as if its hard to grief people normally, it doesn't take that long to get a +5 chaos zweihander.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue May 14, 2013 9:15 am

Shakie666 wrote:I've downloaded MM, though I don't know how much pvp i'll actually do. So far i've just used it to make a character with maxed out stats, since that's something that would take far too long otherwise (surely we can all agree on this at the very least?)

I don't think this has anything to with hackers at all. If they're hacking in fast-rolling havel's at sl55, +15 crystal greatswords etc, then they can also hack in maxed stats. Correlation does not imply causation.

Finally, its not as if its hard to grief people normally, it doesn't take that long to get a +5 chaos zweihander.
    The MM saves a direct url that can be edited at will, before MM people would have to figure out how to make the urls on their own, but now they can directly change them to hack.

MM caused a huge increase in hackers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:22 am