Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Serious_Much
Railage
Quarik
TehInfamousAmos
CrackSouls
Tolvo
skarekrow13
PlasticandRage
bloodpixel
13 posters

WHY MUST FIGHTING GAMES BE SO DIFFICULT

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

WHY MUST FIGHTING GAMES BE SO DIFFICULT - Page 2 Empty Re: WHY MUST FIGHTING GAMES BE SO DIFFICULT

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:30 am

No it doesn't, the fact that it can be pretty intricate, has fun modes, interesting combat, fun characters, and can allow multiple people to get together and have a blast is.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

WHY MUST FIGHTING GAMES BE SO DIFFICULT - Page 2 Empty Re: WHY MUST FIGHTING GAMES BE SO DIFFICULT

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:33 am

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to like it. By all means love it. Sleep with it under your pillow. Take it out to a nice candle lit dinner and buy it expensive wine. Bring it home to meet your parents. Rub it's shoulders when its had a hard day. My point is: as is defined by the rest of the genre, it is not a fighting game.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:36 am

It technically is in the genre of arcade game/Fighter however it doesnt fit into the stereotypes of a fighting game...
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:00 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_game#Recent_history:_2000s

Would you look at that, Super Smash Brothers is listed multiple times, as it is a fighting game. big grin

It may not be your kind of fighting game, but it is still a fighting game. Otherwise I could say something like Tekken isn't a fighting game, as it isn't my kind of fighting game. Do you see what I'm getting at? Not really a fan of elitism, especially in the gaming world. winking
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:16 am

The difference between your statement and my statement would be that your statement would be solely based on opinion. While Tekken carries several traits that are what is essential to the genre, the majority of Smash Brother's mechanics are completely alien to the genre.

I'm going to respond to this more fully tomorrow when I'm not falling asleep. I really do have a point that isn't simply an elitist response to something that I don't like. While it may come off as being kind of elitist, I'll admit that.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:18 am

Define what a fighting game is to me.

I also like how you are literally saying, "I'm unbiased, you are though, so your argument is invalid. Mine though is infallible."

Frankly I don't care about your response, I can see you are very close minded, and that this won't go anywhere. So I'll just leave this thread, hopefully if someone makes another one of these threads sometime I won't run into you in it. big grin
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:34 am

Um... SSB IS a fighting game, but it's obviously a different subgenre than Tekken, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat. Just like Halo is an FPS, but not the same subgenre as MMS's like MW3 and BF3.
    Railage
    Railage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Railage Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:27 am

Alright alright...

You punch people in Tekken, it's a fighting game.

You punch people in SSB, it's a fighting game as well.

Guess what.... They both suck, go Mortal Kombat trollolololololol.

Not really, I like SSB.

I play as Sonic, and I'm really bad at that game...

My Wii is used for Netflix.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:51 am

I really like both Tekken and Mortal Kombat, they're my 2 favourite beat em up series, though ironically I don't have any of the PS3 versions of these games yet, only the PS2 ones silly
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:52 am

Haha, TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT BEECH! beech, as in the tree not to be confused with *****, the female dog xD
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:54 am

Well my personal favourit on the PS2 was Tekken 4, but the tag tournament was fun to just troll everything with devil silly
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 am

Tremendous ps3 fighting game? Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of plastic

Half the trophies are way harder than Knight's Honor
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Tolvo wrote:Define what a fighting game is to me.

I also like how you are literally saying, "I'm unbiased, you are though, so your argument is invalid. Mine though is infallible."

Frankly I don't care about your response, I can see you are very close minded, and that this won't go anywhere. So I'll just leave this thread, hopefully if someone makes another one of these threads sometime I won't run into you in it. big grin

Wow. Think I hit a nerve. Relax dude. It's a video game. Not all that big a deal in the major gist of things.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:14 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:

Wow. Think I hit a nerve. Relax dude. It's a video game. Not all that big a deal in the major gist of things.

Don't worry, you're both being kinda douche-like lol! you're arguing over ******** lol

In all seriousness though I agree with you that Smash bros isnt the same as most fighting games. To me it's not really a beat em up, but in the same way it can't be any other genre.

Really it's become now more of a cross between a 2D platformer/beat em up, but it's in it's own genre really, it doesn't fit stereotypes of any other genre
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:01 pm

For me I think it fits more into the genre of games like Mario Party. It's sort of like a party game, fitting into a category of its own, as Nintendo tends to do. That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, although I don't really like it.

I also will accept that I was being kind of jerk, and I apologize Tolvo, though I do have to say ending an insult with an emotocon doesn't make it any less of an insult. I didn't realize how seriously you were taking our conversation. If I had I would have just let it go.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:21 pm

PlasticandRage wrote: though I do have to say ending an insult with an emotocon doesn't make it any less of an insult.

A tongue face does silly (that and if the comment is made by yours truly lol! )

Anyways though yeah it is very much a multiplayer oriented game, made for 4 guys to have a good time playing eachother, kinda like mario kart, but that fits properly into racing, and mario party is a party game silly

damn you nintendo for being all hip with your stereotype breaking games :x
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:52 pm

I wasn't directing that statement at you Serious. I know you weren't meaning to be insulting.

I think generally Nintendo's propensity to norm break is great. I love Mario Party. I've spent many fun filled nights playing Mario Party with friends. My point isn't even that Smash Brothers isn't generally fun. I've had fun playing it myself. I guess the core of my point is that I believe fighting games are one of the few game genres left that require specific skills to excel at, part of the reason I enjoy DkS so much, and I don't believe Smash Brothers really does. Granted I'll except that there are people who are good at it, but I don't think it requires the same skill set as most fighting games, and therefore my dispute that it shouldn't be considered part of the genre.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:10 pm

I know it wasn't directed at me, was just saying you can't get offended by someone as idiotic as myself silly

You don't like playing 4 player smash bros? :| well, I certainly do, it's rather fun unless there's that one guy whos WAY better than everyone else, like knows all the moves properly and stuff, you know the THAT GUYS of this world. Other than that its just button mashing extravaganza which granted is great for some and not others.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:25 pm

DBZ burst limit & brawl are the only fighters i'm good at. But I'm really good at them.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 am

Quoting old posts ftw!

Fighting Game: A largely, but not exclusively, PvP-based video game genre where the primary gameplay involves a self-contained setting that player or AI controlled characters are placed in as combatants against each other in order to utilize real-time combat mechanics and determine a single participating character as the victor.

Some examples of fighting games include:

Street Fighter II Turbo
    Blazblue: Continuum Shift
    Mortal Kombat
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Sonic Battle
    Soul Calibur V
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2
    Dark Souls Fight Club
    Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
    Dissidia: Final Fantasy
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:39 am

A sourced definition (Albeit from wikipedia but it's best one I've seen):

Fighting game is a video game genre where the player controls an on-screen character and engages in close combat with an opponent. These characters tend to be of equal power and fight matches consisting of several rounds, which take place in an arena. Players must master techniques such as blocking, counter-attacking, and chaining together sequences of attacks known as "combos". Since the early 1990s, most fighting games allow the player to execute special attacks by performing specific button combinations.

Reaper personally I don't think that a game being PvP biased isn't a trademark that has to be met by any genre silly (I also think that online fighting games are a stupid idea due to lag meaning fights would be whoever has the best connection wins almost)

also, you left out Tekken. Shame on you sad
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 am

Serious_Much wrote:most fighting games allow the player to execute special attacks by performing specific button combinations.

This right here is probably my biggest problem with SB. Aren't all the special moves executed by simply pressing a single button? Or pressing it in combination with a dash or a duck or a jump? That's not the same skill it requires to, say kill someone by means of harakiri with Yoshimitsu in Tekken. Not only is that a difficult move to pull of in the best of circumstances, but to pull it off with the correct timing to kill the other player and not yourself at the same time requires GREAT skill. Not just in hand eye coordination and timing, but in finger dexterity.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:23 pm

I must ask what did smash bros do to you? I mean it's not just a disliking of it you seem to have massive hate for the game, it's almost unnecessary.

Just leave it bro, nintendo didn't intend for people your age to play it anyways silly
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Just leave it bro, nintendo didn't intend for people your age to play it anyways silly

You know, that's probably the most perceptive thing that's been said here all along. That very well may be why.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Just because Smash Bros is a more casual fighting game doesn't mean it isn't a fighting game, or that it can't have a hardcore tournament scene. While it doesn't have a definitive combo system or health bars, it puts a much heavier emphasis on positioning than any other fighting game, meaning control of where your character is and environmental awareness are much more important in it than other fighting games.

And look up some of the advanced techniques such as Pit's arrow looping, Dedede's hammer shuffle, Sonic's spin-cancels, Bowser's koopa-hopping, Wario's and Diddy's item management with their bike wheels/bananas, or Lucas's Zap-jumping. These things are anything but easy to do, and while not absolutely necessary for high-level play (except for Sonic's spin cancels and Diddy's banana management...those are pretty important to their core gameplay), they do require some insane execution skills to utilize effectively and pull off on the fly.

Or even go back to Melee and look up Wavedashing and Fox/Falco's Shine techniques. Wavedashing was something that absolutely had to be learned to be competitive, and the Shine techniques make 1-frame combos in Street Fighter look straight-up easy. I'm no execution master, but even I can pull off Rufus's BnB 1-frame lk > hp link 2 out of 3 times, and I can't even fathom how people pull off the Shine jump combos.

I really don't know what you seem to have against Smash Bros, Plastic. It's a great series, and if I had better-working Gamecube controllers I would totally be back into the competitive Brawl scene. It's what got me into fighting games in the first place, and is anything but a "kiddie game" if you actually take the time to look for the competitive community.

Last edited by Reaperfan on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:41 pm